As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Hi everyone, after lurking this thread for ages, I've been slowly getting back into painting recently, and managed to take semi-decent model photos so thought I'd post them here, C&C welcome thanks!

Also whoever recommended that Ikea unit is a lifesaver, that thing is brilliant.

PSN- AHermano
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Those look great! I picked up a box of crow-friends to paint myself, but I dunno when I'm gonna get round to them.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Critique: Fuck yeah, that's some awesome angry dead bird gladiator people.

Seriously, that's some great painting right there.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Those look great! I picked up a box of crow-friends to paint myself, but I dunno when I'm gonna get round to them.

Thanks! Yeah I bought the Cypher Lords as well as the Corvus, and I'll probably end up buying all the warbands to paint, they're some great models
    Nips wrote: »
    Critique: Fuck yeah, that's some awesome angry dead bird gladiator people.

Seriously, that's some great painting right there.

oh wow thanks, I struggle not to get overly negative about my own painting, so I really appreciate it.

PSN- AHermano
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Got laid off. Starting tomorrow I'm gonna paint a mini a day until I find a new job.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Purple
    Got laid off. Starting tomorrow I'm gonna paint a mini a day until I find a new job.

I found keeping a schedule is key for sure in these circumstances. Good luck to you. If you run out of minis I have a closet full of kickstarter reapers I will never get to.

steam_sig.png
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Happened to me earlier this year, I was more productive than ever, sadly I couldn’t get paid for it

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Purple
    I just finished my first mini in awhile. I've been working with Reaper Bones to practice and get back into it, and this is the first I've actually put all of my skills into and not just goofed with.

I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.

rg3devj19xqr.jpg
    1awk1mru0avj.jpg
    jn1hh3cutakl.jpg

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots

I found keeping a schedule is key for sure in these circumstances. Good luck to you. If you run out of minis I have a closet full of kickstarter reapers I will never get to.

Man if I manage to be out of work long enough that I clear out my entire painting backlog that means I am absolutely fucked.

I think I'm gonna do an hour a day instead of a mini a day, since I'd be a goof not to be batch painting.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I wish I could keep painting longer because I have a lot of minis to paint, but after a couple of hours I end up feeling drained.

It's the same problem I've always had with art in general, honestly. I'm interested, like to learn about the craft and color theory, have lots of ideas, and for a while I can work and feel motivated, but it wears off quick and I have a hard time getting motivated again.

In contrast I can brainstorm ideas fo D&D campaigns and spend hours on end writing and researching. Just this week I've probably spent at least half a day cumulatively homebrewing a crafting system and ingredients. I don't know why I can stay driven with one but get drained with the other.

Does anyone else feel this way at times? How do you get over it?

Hexmage-PA on
    Purple

Man if I manage to be out of work long enough that I clear out my entire painting backlog that means I am absolutely fucked.

I think I'm gonna do an hour a day instead of a mini a day, since I'd be a goof not to be batch painting.

Depends on what you have to paint. If you have projects that need batch work, definitely do stuff in batches. Setting a block of time is effective as well! Just make sure you are doing something. I've been in that 'if I go x time I'm fucked' position twice in the last 18 months. Smaller opportunities can keep you going sometimes and things can take longer to come together, it doesn't mean the end or a failure on your part. Keep at it!

steam_sig.png
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I wish I could keep painting longer because I have a lot of minis to paint, but after a couple of hours I end up feeling drained.

It's the same problem I've always had with art in general, honestly. I'm interested, like to learn about the craft and color theory, have lots of ideas, and for a while I can work and feel motivated, but it wears off quick and I have a hard time getting motivated again.

In contrast I can brainstorm ideas fo D&D campaigns and spend hours on end writing and researching. Just this week I've probably spent at least half a day cumulatively homebrewing a crafting system and ingredients. I don't know why I can stay driven with one but get drained with the other.

For me? Variety. Have some different types of models to paint. Maybe you want to paint a cool 40k dude one day. Then the next time a battleline of dudes in AoS or something. Just I find I get tired of certain projects before painting itself.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    TheGerbil wrote: »

For me? Variety. Have some different types of models to paint. Maybe you want to paint a cool 40k dude one day. Then the next time a battleline of dudes in AoS or something. Just I find I get tired of certain projects before painting itself.

I'll echo this. I've found I'm much more engaged and focused if I'm juggling a few different paint jobs at the same time.

And I'm with you @Hexmage-PA on the limited stamina, but I wouldn't worry about it. Painting is taxing! It's all focused concentration, keeping all your muscles aligned and not shaking all over the place, keeping your eyes on minute details...it's a lot. Take breaks, drink some water (preferably not from your wash pot!), and try to relax. It's all too easy to tense up while painting, and that'll drain you faster.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Purple
    Does anyone have a good link to doing wet brush (2brush) style blending? I've watched a few, but none of them seem to really help. I've been trying it out, but I don't know if I'm missing an important step they're not talking about or what. None of my blends ends up looking nice. The paint tends to take on a weird chalky consistency.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Purple
    For me I often have to actually force myself to sit down and paint. It helps me to work on my projects in an area that I use for something else, so that it's literally physically in the way of me doing something with a lower barrier to entry that's ultimately worse for me, like video games or vegging out watching hulu or whatever.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Personally I try to sit down and paint (or build, prep, whatever) for just an hour a day, maybe a little less depending on my work schedule, but just trying to maintain that little bit of schedule is good I think.

Koreg wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good link to doing wet brush (2brush) style blending? I've watched a few, but none of them seem to really help. I've been trying it out, but I don't know if I'm missing an important step they're not talking about or what. None of my blends ends up looking nice. The paint tends to take on a weird chalky consistency.

I don't know if this is one you've seen already, but it's got a pretty good demonstration of the technique

As for the chalkiness, it might be the paints you're using, or they're drying too quickly as you're blending them?

PSN- AHermano
    Purple
    I have seen the video but I can't seem to get an actual blend. Maybe im overwatering my paints. Which leads to them laying down super patchy and not enough pigment to actually blend

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    It took me a while to get 2 brush blending down. Generally you don't want the paint to be very thin, you want it to maintain some stickiness. Like anything in this hobby it just takes practice.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Purple
    Definitely agree. Im looking to find a few cheap stormcadt eternals to practice NMM and wetbrush blending in. They seem to be a good choice for lots of areas to play with that.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    With regards to basing... I'm kind of tired of spending the money on GW basing material and getting results I'm not happy with.

I'm going to base my daemon army with some ash waste flocking I found, what's the best way to glue that to the bases? Just white glue/water mixed?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple
    White glue is great for flocking; mix it with just enough water to make it easy to spread around, and use a tool you're ok with getting rid of afterward. You may not need to, but it's nice to be safe in the knowledge that you won't wreck a tool you want to keep.

I like to keep the flocking heaped up on the base for a bit so that the glue has time to wick upwards and catch as much of it as possible while setting.

You can buy clear Elmer's glue as well, although I haven't used it so I don't know how good it is for flocking.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Excellent, thank you both

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I generally lay the initial white glue on undiluted then apply the sand/flock/whatever and allow to cure overnight. Then I use very thin white glue and paint it over the top to seal it down before painting it or whatever.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Purple
    Ugh speaking of flocking, I was working on a third converted Kurnoth Hunter to use as another Treeman for my halfling Blood Bowl team, and the autumnal clump foliage I was using molted really easily, so I thought I'd experiment with sealing it using spray adhesive.

It worked! The foliage is holding really, really nicely now. It also made the entire figure permanently sticky! I guess these spray adhesives work by making something just permanently tacky enough to hold objects together, as opposed to quickly drying into a solid like normal glue does. I managed to fix it by resealing with army painter ultra matt varnish, but it took a couple of thick coats to get rid of the tack and now some of my colors are pretty muddy.

I should be able to fix that by going in and repainting those areas, but then I'll need to (thinly) varnish those areas again and just, fuck man. It'll all work out in the end, but it's been a bit of a trial.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    What would be a good tropical looking base? I am gonna get started on my Corvus Cabal tropical birds scheme and started trying to figure out a base theme.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    What would be a good tropical looking base? I am gonna get started on my Corvus Cabal tropical birds scheme and started trying to figure out a base theme.

How over the top are you looking?
    As basically it's fish plastic plants cut up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAEHnheQPHs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li0VsVAKZmg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uDKQpHBfqM
    jungles are basically lots and lots of green on this planet

Brainleech wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

How over the top are you looking?
    As basically it's fish plastic plants cut up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAEHnheQPHs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li0VsVAKZmg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uDKQpHBfqM
    jungles are basically lots and lots of green on this planet

I really like the first one, I think I'll do something like that. Thank you for the links!

I found some cheap plastic aquarium plants I might use. I think it fits the tropical bird theme.

CousDUoBe Artificial Aquatic Plants 11 Pcs Small Aquarium Plants Artificial Fish Tank Decorations,Used for Household and Office Aquarium Simulation Plastic Hydroponic Plants https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJ3GBSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4-GBDbR9X2Z5B

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

edited September 2019
    Purple
    Welp, my Deeproot Strongbranch conversion is finished, and at least he's not horribly sticky anymore! The paintjob isn't what it used to be, but I'm happy enough with it, and if it keeps bothering me, it's not like I can't go back and retouch some areas.

zp3sovf285do.jpg

There was a bit of conversion work involved, which you can see in my "before" shot (the arms were extras from a River Troll box):
    ubnlssx1hx4v.jpg

BloodySloth on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    Matrias wrote: »
    I have finally crossed the Rubicon Primaris.

NK6OW2C.jpg

The dark grey faceplates are a really nice touch.

I just want to say these are painted very well good job.

Also what do you use for your photos? A lightbox of some sort? If so do tell.

honestly it was just my painting lamp and a phone camera with a cloth white screen as a backdrop draped from my windowsill ( held in place with a rattle can). it's so ghetto vut it made me give up on my photobox and my camera with a macro function after i discovered the hand-me-down samsung phone my wife gave me was taking way better photos.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Happened to me earlier this year, I was more productive than ever, sadly I couldn’t get paid for it

that sucks man, but i know you'll pull through!

i used to work at relic but was laid off last spring, with a closet of
    assembled miniatures that i amassed over the decade working there. miniature painting was the only thing that kept me sane over the six months until i lined up my next gig.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    @BloodySloth Could you share your wood colours for that dude?. It's nice and strong without crossing over into straight bone colour.

Purple
    J wrote: »
    @BloodySloth Could you share your wood colours for that dude?. It's nice and strong without crossing over into straight bone colour.

For sure! You may or may not be disappointed to find out it's basically contrast paint.

I base sprayed the whole thing with Chaos Black, then went back at it with a strong zenithal spray highlight of Wraithbone. Then, the primary color of the treeman is Contrast Snakebite Leather. I did further highlights in Tau Light Ochre, which didn't pop enough for me, so I ended up doing smaller point highlights in Ungor Flesh.

Is there a preferred sand product to use for bases or any place works? Looking to get some fine grain and medium grain and I've been looking on Amazon.

b3epxii8qtuv.png

I wanna make a mini of this guy since I haven't found one online I like enough. I have a Reaper miniatures fire giant top half I could use...

fob7ash0e225.jpg

...but I haven't found a snake body to scale with it yet. Any ideas?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Not sure how big the giant is, but I'm thinking a Hordes tatzlwurm might work?

fdp8a3e2b5xm.png
    https://store.privateerpress.com/dahlia-hallyr-skarath

That's on a 50mm base if that helps for sizing.
    Probably need to bulk it out a bit at the end, or dress it up in some additional armor bits, that giant looks thick.

see317 on
    edited September 2019
    Nice suggestion, but it's kinda expensive for something I'm gonna be modding.

I found this last night for $15, though:

hr63xg92o7br.jpeg

Hexmage-PA on
    Purple
    It's a snake

I wanna make a mini of this guy since I haven't found one online I like enough. I have a Reaper miniatures fire giant top half I could use...

...but I haven't found a snake body to scale with it yet. Any ideas?

u09d1y0n2dq5.png

steam_sig.png
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Nice suggestion, but it's kinda expensive for something I'm gonna be modding.

I found this last night for $15, though:

hr63xg92o7br.jpeg

I have that figure. It's not bones, but some other plastic. I also have a safari medusa I turned into a very large daemon prince or a small greater daemon. Either should work, I think, although I don't know the size of the fire giant.

Or do what DiannaoChong suggests; I've done that, too.

Or, if you're made of money, you can get morathi.

What are you doing for wings?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
This discussion has been closed.