As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Age of Wonders: Planetfall] Sexual Tyrannosaurus Update 2/18

2»

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Sector names can be pretty awesome and funny and random. I'm about to colonize Donkey Communes. I've also got Delicious Trees and Frog Bog on my current map. I've got a Cosmite Cove, but alas there was no cosmite there. D-:

I'm playing an Assembly game and I guess the map ran out of Assembly heroes, so this Dvar showed up wanting to join my army.

I obliged and immediately popped his head off his body and stuck it on a Wrecker. This feels right, now. I believe I'll change his name to Dvar Unit 1. Welcome to the family!

wc1boyhsg2f4.png

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    New DLC incoming:

https://www.aow-planetfall.com/revelations

Looks like it’s their scifi take on necromancy (so a lot of Necroms/Tomb kings influence). Steal life essence to raise ancient powers to serve you and the like.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I'm playing the endgame of the campaign mode, and it is pretty nuts. Massive spoilers:
    Your choices throughout the game with each faction define the sides in the final battle, with Empress Carmina on one side, and the CORE mainframe on the other.

If your commanders sided with either power over their campaigns, they end up in an alliance with their NPC commanders, but if you tell both to fuck off, you have to fight both factions.

About half of the commanders on the map are people you could play during the campaign, and if they also told the other factions to fuck off, they start allied with you. I had a dream team of hardcore mofos at my back (except my Syndicate folks...they went down like chumps)

Only one of my commanders took a side...my Dvar joined CORE. Empress Carmina eventually banished her into the void with some sort of terrifying power to destroy entire sectors. Terrifying, but I'm glad I didn't have to fight my old team.

She also dunked my old vanguard commander the same way. I am playing Assembly, and the game implied that the Vanguard commander was my ex girlfriend. I didn't take her getting banished from existence well.

Meanwhile, CORE is sending progressively more powerful armies of Autom units to attack Carmina and the independents. I've killed so many robots. So many.

Anyway, I'm now working on the Celestian doomsday research, which I guess just makes everyone get along? The victory condition says I have to research the endgame tech, cast it, and then defend my superweapon for 10 turns. Sounds epic.

That sounds pretty awesome... I need to keep playing this, it’s taken a bit of a backseat right now to outer worlds and warhammer but definitely worth getting back into.

That sounds pretty awesome... I need to keep playing this, it’s taken a bit of a backseat right now to outer worlds and warhammer but definitely worth getting back into.

I actually have been holding off getting Outer Worlds so I could give this game proper attention. There's a ton of deep gameplay here that I've barely scratched the surface of.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I actually have been holding off getting Outer Worlds so I could give this game proper attention. There's a ton of deep gameplay here that I've barely scratched the surface of.

I've been at this for about a month, off and on, and there's simultaneously more and less depth than it appears. It's great when you find a new combo that works, but Assembly and Kir'ko are just plain better out of the box than the other civs, if not by an overwhelming amount, and there are a few other issues that are a little disappointing.

They've done a good job, so far as I can tell, of leveling the playing field with each patch. It's getting pretty close!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I think thats pretty par for the course for these kinds of games though. You’ll have a lot harder time with Georgia or Canada than Sumeria or Korea in civ 6, for example, and their civs are a lot more symmetrical than this game.

I think the depth comes from mixing races, heroes, and techs. My stack of enlightened Assembly Electrocutioners under a Xenoplague Vanguard hero have essentially been unstoppable due to ridiculous amounts of healing/regeneration and a truly bonkers level of attack buffs queuing from my doctrine operations.

Finding those little combos always makes my day.

edited November 2019
    The expansion for this, AoW:PF:Revelations, is coming out on Tuesday, November 19th.

The new race is... Necrons. I mean "Heritors." Not Necrons. They have entropy-based weapons and live on tomb worlds. They reinforce by waking up ancient, dormant Heritors. Not Necrons. Heritors.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/10/19/age-of-wonders-planetfall-gets-its-first-expansion-is-revelations-launching-november-19/

Dracomicron on
    The expansion for this, AoW:PF:Revelations, is coming out on Tuesday, November 19th.

The new race is... Necrons. I mean "Heritors." Not Necrons. They have entropy-based weapons and live on tomb worlds. They reinforce by waking up ancient, dormant Heritors. Not Necrons. Heritors.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/10/19/age-of-wonders-planetfall-gets-its-first-expansion-is-revelations-launching-november-19/

Well its not a race, its a secret technology, so I assume it’ll be someone using ancient not-necron tech instead of not-necrons themselves.

Well its not a race, its a secret technology, so I assume it’ll be someone using ancient not-necron tech instead of not-necrons themselves.

Hmm. I wonder what race the Es'teq Dynasty campaign is, then. Syndicate, maybe?

edited November 2019

Hmm. I wonder what race the Es'teq Dynasty campaign is, then. Syndicate, maybe?

Yep, Syndicate. Just played about 20 turns of the expansion. The campaign is DENSE with quests, and the new adventure area mechanic is interesting: you have a hero excavate an area for a few turns, make some decisions (which can lead to a fight or more turns spent or a success/failure percentage), and collect rewards based on what branch you took and how well you did. It's annoying to have a hero stack out of action, but at least you can pick up an archaeology skill that reduces the time spent.

Haven't gotten the new secret tech yet, but it seems to involve eating life essence. Great, I'm a Skeksis now.

Dracomicron on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    The new balance patch plus some solid planning seems to buff Syndicate's less-good stuff considerably. They're still super-reliant on layering debuffs, but overall they feel a lot less anemic before you start seeing the higher-tier units.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »
    The new balance patch plus some solid planning seems to buff Syndicate's less-good stuff considerably. They're still super-reliant on layering debuffs, but overall they feel a lot less anemic before you start seeing the higher-tier units.

I just washed out of the Revelations Syndicate campaign first mission. Granted I increased the difficulty to Advanced instead of beginner, but I'm always underwhelmed by Syndicate units. I'm still wondering what Enforcers are actually supposed to do.

edited November 2019
    Auralynx wrote: »

I just washed out of the Revelations Syndicate campaign first mission. Granted I increased the difficulty to Advanced instead of beginner, but I'm always underwhelmed by Syndicate units. I'm still wondering what Enforcers are actually supposed to do.

Beg for Stagger Resistance, mostly. I've been playing Celesitan Syndicate; Tenets of Tranquility on them lets you drop shield cover for your other units pretty much at will.

Basically, though, Syndicate suffers because the Big Idea (using control collars to indenture other factions' units) takes too long to develop during the game. You do get great access to psychic shootery, especially in Psynumbra, but it's still over-technical compared to the Dvar approach of just shooting guys.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited December 2019
    Finished the Heritor campaign. Only two missions, unless I fucked something up, and only one where you actually have the Heritor secret tech.

I started a random scenario with Dvar/Heritor so we'll see where it leads me.

EDIT: I was actually doing pretty well, but the game was taking longer and longer between turns as it managed the AI players' vast empires. I was hitting the end turn button and going off to pack for my move; coming back when I heard that it was my turn again. Then it started not moving past Malai of House Antares at all (not frozen, just never finishing her turn), and that's when I decided to go check out the Battletech DLC.

Dracomicron on
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Huge update coming this week.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/announcing-the-tyrannosaurus-update.1327025/
    The update will be released on all platforms on the 18th of February, and the list of change notes is currently sitting at a cool 26 pages long.

Dirtyboy on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    So I tried AoW 3, but kinda bounced off because the campaign felt so grindy, like every scenario was this long, protracted fight against economically superior opponents you had to slowly grind down and it was kind of exhausting.

And now the big sale and the words space tyrannosaurus have called my attention to this. So, how's the singleplayer in this one?

Steam ID: Right here.
    Drascin wrote: »
    So I tried AoW 3, but kinda bounced off because the campaign felt so grindy, like every scenario was this long, protracted fight against economically superior opponents you had to slowly grind down and it was kind of exhausting.

And now the big sale and the words space tyrannosaurus have called my attention to this. So, how's the singleplayer in this one?

I really like it. The campaign mode has a very satisfying conclusion.

Also, the next DLC expansion is out. Play as lizard aliens who infiltrate Star Union territory with human disguises. Kinda quaint, as far as conspiracy hysteria goes these days.

Yay lizard space mans!

Xantomas wrote: »
    Yay lizard space mans!

Actually - though the space lizards are cool - the highlight so far seems to be the Therians minor faction and their squirrel-man alchemists, which are just a great unit to add to pretty much any stack not full of snipers or planes.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

So I randomly tried out no colonizer mode (with recommended other settings). Its so much better. Like totally different game. Not having to focus on pumping out colonists for the first 20 or 30 turns and instead just getting them as rewards for exploration or combat is a lot better gameflow, it makes the whole thing feel more like a total war game.

The latest and probably final expansion for Planetfall is out today, in about 5 minutes. Star Kings adds a goody goody paladin mecha faction. Also included is what I hear is a very nice quality of life and balance type patch as well.

I do love robots!

q9xorjb69yo7.jpg

This update has something really cool even if you aren’t buying the expansion:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3gaTx_rUZec

It is a pretty awesome campaign mode. You basically get to play random maps, get bonuses that carry over into the next map, and there are cool mutators and special win conditions or bonus objectives.

edited November 2020
    Yeah I've started playing the new campaign, and I have to say that I do not like the paladin faction. I hope they become morally gray at some point, because their "Hark ye villains, we, the heroes, shall defeat ye honorably" bullshit is bothering me.

The galactic empire mode looks awesome, though. Just, Shakarn everywhere, all the time.

Dracomicron on
    edited November 2020
    Yeah I've started playing the new campaign, and I have to say that I do not like the paladin faction. I hope they become morally gray at some point, because their "Hark ye villains, we, the heroes, shall defeat ye honorably" bullshit is bothering me.

The galactic empire mode looks awesome, though. Just, Shakarn everywhere, all the time.

Is it me or are the Oathbound starting units super-weak to Stagger? Once you take into account their incentive to cluster, anyway.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

I've never played any of the campaigns because I like random maps and don't like objectives, but the goody goody part of the Oathbound aren't bothering me just from the units themselves. Half of their units are battlesuit mechs and it's very satisfying. I imagine in the new empire mode it won't matter much either since you'll be mixing units and techs and stuff as you please. I don't even like the name Oathbound, heh, in my head I just call them Archons.

The starting pikemen Oathbound unit is biological and doesn't have any stagger resist (I doubt he's weak to it though) but all the rest of the units that aren't support are mechs and come with stagger resist.

It's pretty easy to get mech hero units stagger immune with resist + an early skill too, and that's nice. My commander is a buzzsaw of death with ruthless killer and cruelty and tireless first strike melee overwatch AND 2 kinds of regeneration. oaso26f3ty1e.png

I finished the Oathbound campaign, and they of course found a reason for paladin on paladin violence.

I made a choice that should have left me with only one ally in the final showdown, but I'm not sure if a glitch or pity allowed me two.

I'm now playing Oathbound/Heritor in the empire builder and I'm finding the empire quests interesting while being underwhelmed at the very generic resource rewards for doing them. The good stuff prolly comes after I knock over a couple planets.

I finished the Oathbound campaign, and they of course found a reason for paladin on paladin violence.

I made a choice that should have left me with only one ally in the final showdown, but I'm not sure if a glitch or pity allowed me two.

I'm now playing Oathbound/Heritor in the empire builder and I'm finding the empire quests interesting while being underwhelmed at the very generic resource rewards for doing them. The good stuff prolly comes after I knock over a couple planets.

Yeah, as you win planets you get slots to fill pre-game with units, mods, and "spells" from other technologies and races to bring with you to the planet. The more XP you earn from those quests or doing planetary secondary objectives or just playing as them on other planets gets you higher tier stuff you can bring to the next planet.

The first unit I started bringing, playing as Oathbound, was Syndicate Indentured so I could have an arc ranged unit. Once I do one of those quests on a new planet I have enough credits or whatever to unlock the Indentured and then I can make them in my cities.

Yeah, as you win planets you get slots to fill pre-game with units, mods, and "spells" from other technologies and races to bring with you to the planet. The more XP you earn from those quests or doing planetary secondary objectives or just playing as them on other planets gets you higher tier stuff you can bring to the next planet.

The first unit I started bringing, playing as Oathbound, was Syndicate Indentured so I could have an arc ranged unit. Once I do one of those quests on a new planet I have enough credits or whatever to unlock the Indentured and then I can make them in my cities.

I just finished my first empire planet and started my second. I took Shakarn/Psyumbra because it is a covert ops mission planet and I hadn't played a psyumbra assault main for awhile. I took Mantra of Clarity and Focus: Flames to make my leader's attacks hilarious.

I also took Dvar Prospector because yoinking free resources is fun. Of course, the very first thing the other Shakarn on the map did was cast Disinformation Campaign, making both my first prospector and my named Reverse Engineer from an archaeology site, Groxum, defect.

Couldn't bring myself to kill Groxum, so she still roams around the map by herself looking for a non suicidal attack to make.

One of the things I love about Indentured is that they are slave collared and have no morale, haha. So anybody can use them to shoot dudes and they never defect.

One of the things I love about Indentured is that they are slave collared and have no morale, haha. So anybody can use them to shoot dudes and they never defect.

Oooh, I never noticed that. I know there is an item (Heritor tech, I think) that removes morale...I should watch for that to add to my carryover gear.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So I picked this up for some variety from playing Civ online coop and this thing where when someone enters a fight it pauses the game for everyone else is just awful. There isn't a setting or mod to get around that is there?

7244qyoka3pp.gif