As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    My FLGS posted on Facebook that they had Wingspan in stock so I immediately called them to reserve it before running down to get it. Now to see if it's worth all the hype!

It is and it isn't. Just played it again last night, in fact. The luck element is slightly higher than I would like it to be (birdfeeder rolls, available birds, birds' abilities, bonus draws) and the few elements of player interaction can be very powerful if you're lucky (see above) enough to get them, but it is a very elegant engine-builder that runs quickly and is varied enough to hold up to repeated plays.

Also last night I had the WORST predators ever. I had three hawks that all ate wingspans <75cm. On one action I activated two of them and flipped a damned California Condor (277cm) and some sort of 180cm Seagull! I thought hawks were supposed to have good eyesight but apparently mine were all nearsighted if not outright blind.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yeah wait, what’s the tie breaker stuff in the Inis expansion because in my experience if there is a tie for a win it tends to almost always already get broken via the Brenn token?

Inquisitor on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    My FLGS posted on Facebook that they had Wingspan in stock so I immediately called them to reserve it before running down to get it. Now to see if it's worth all the hype!
    It will probably treat you well for the retail price. It was definitely over-hyped and not at all worth the prices it was fetching.
    Honestly, the situation was almost identical to Root.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I saw the expansion for Inis in the wild but didn’t grab it because I was like... the base game is kind of perfect and I want more plays of the base version as is.

The expansion is worth it for the fifth player components, tbh, since they carefully tweak the action cards

And also the tiebreaker variants to shorten games
    This is so confusing to me. Inis doesn't take that long to play unless people are bad at it. It's pretty rare for people to be really bad at a game like that, but also enjoy playing it. It's pretty rare for those people to buy an expansion for a game they don't like, or to get to the point of using it even if they did all-in on it.
    I mean, power to them and whatnot, but part of what makes Inis so great is how finely balanced the conditions for victory are.
    big shrug

I dunno, I think Inis has taken my group progressively longer to play as everyone's gotten better at it. After 40 plays, we're always aware of everyone's access to victory conditions and move to deny each other as soon as we get close. When someone grabs a surprise victory condition, usually we can remove it or set up exactly one victory condition for a non-Brenn opponent. My group was too skeptical of the tiebreakers to play with them - instead of the game going another round the players share the victory? 🤔 The business of "two people have a condition each and then lose it so the Brenn wins" seemed unlikely to come up. The game is only occasionally too long, where we're a little too good at denying each other and start wanting the game to end. The rest of the time it's sort of medium length and very fun? Not as long as Great Western Trail, maybe the same as Five Tribes and Blood Rage, longer than China or Arboretum.

Islands and the new red cards were hot fire - nothing that breaks the game, just more variety. Not sure I'm more than lukewarm on the Seasons mechanic but it didn't hurt anything.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Pandemic Legacy: Season 2: Prologue

Got to start Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 last night! Woo!

Even though we're all familiar with Pandemic, and 3/4 of us played through Season 1, I had read enough about Season 2 online that I was pushing for us to play the prologue, and I'm glad we did. The whole concept of having to create/pick up cubes, and deliver them to cities, and having multiple city cards in the decks, was strange enough that we struggled to come up with a good plan for things. We ended up with a loss, but 2/3 supply centers built. Tripoli was hit hard with 3 plague cubes, and we lost from plague cubes. Two of our characters got stuck in Istanbul as well when it ran out of supplies and then got pulled for a plague.

Even so, we feel that we at least understand the game well enough that we're going to push on into January in two weeks. Looking forward this since our Charterstone game has been on hiatus.

EDIT: Oh! Important details! So, our havens are named "Northlantica", "SeaQuest", and "Concordia". If you've seen the map, you can probably correctly guess where they all are located.
    My wife and I also, without any attempt to do so, made our two characters have the same home and age.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Tried Marrying Mr Darcy for the first time. Game where everyone plays a lady from Pride & Prejudice, jockeying to get the suitor of their dreams to propose to them.

I'd put it in the same category as Ladies & Gentleman: a game you will have fun with simply acting up the theme of stifling Victorian social norms, once, then never want to play again.

Whereas Ladies & Gentlemen was meandering, unclear rules where 50% of the game had no meaningful decisions, Marrying Mr Darcy is simple, clear rules where 90% of the game has no meaningful decisions.

The proposal mechanic sounded like some fun push your luck. You line up the suitors from least desirable (Mr. Wickham, natch) to most desirable (Darcy). The ones you meet the minimum requirements for, you roll for in order. On a 4+, they propose. You can accept and take the points, or decline and move on to do the same with the next most desirable suitor, but you cannot go back to one you've turned down. You can also forgo all suitors and focus on just one for a +1 roll, but no one else will propose if you fail. So do you get greedy and hold out for Darcy, or settle? Even settling is better than the worst thing possible, becoming an Old Maid. Did that posh TART just steal my man?!

Unfortunately, the proposal portion is only 10% of the game. The other 90% is the "courtship" phase where you just pick a card on your turn, read the card, and follow the card. Most of the time you just play a card that will increase a stat (VP and proposal requirements). It has about as much decision making as a game of Exploding Kittens. It goes on way too long for what the game is.

I can't really recommend owning it or playing it more than once. The proposal portion needed to be at least half the game, either by making it longer or making the courtship portion shorter. Shorter courtship phases for multiple, shorter rounds with a final culminative score would have worked a lot better.

(the default rules where every lady has a different VP value for each suitor is stupid. It gives an unfair advantage to people who know the story and it doesn't match up with suitor difficulty. Throw it straight into the garbage and play with the "Everyone loves Mr Darcy" rule that fixes the point values for everyone)

MrBody on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Late on responding to this, but for gloomhaven organizers I'm using the one from Meeple Realty
    https://www.meeplerealty.com/product/gloomhaven-town/

I'm pretty happy with it! This one is a little cheaper than all the others I saw, and I really liked how it had labels for lots of the pieces like the monster standees, so you could see how they go back in the slots even if you empty them all out. It can take a little fiddling to get all the tiles in the top without going over, but not too much.

sig.gif
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    i would kind of agree that Inis takes longer the better you are at it. Decisive wins almost always come from major errors, since it takes a long time to set up win conditions. Turns are much shorter, but there are many more turns (and people pass much more aggressively)

The expansion added the game-ending condition because people who play avidly were getting long games consistently, especially at 4p

The Brenn tie break almost never comes up, because everyone will work to deny that player the win. The ties that lengthen the game are when two or more non-Brenns end multiple turns with the same number of wincons, which is a state people actively work to create even if it isn't their wincon, so that another turn happens and they can jockey for a better position and eke out the win.

Evil Multifarious on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Speaking of organizers, Go7 is having a holiday sale over the weekend for 20% off everything except bundles. Discount shows up in your cart as a coupon.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    i would kind of agree that Inis takes longer the better you are at it. Decisive wins almost always come from major errors, since it takes a long time to set up win conditions. Turns are much shorter, but there are many more turns (and people pass much more aggressively)

The expansion added the game-ending condition because people who play avidly were getting long games consistently, especially at 4p

The Brenn tie break almost never comes up, because everyone will work to deny that player the win. The ties that lengthen the game are when two or more non-Brenns end multiple turns with the same number of wincons, which is a state people actively work to create even if it isn't their wincon, so that another turn happens and they can jockey for a better position and eke out the win.

Every game of Inis I've played has gone long with every new round eventually where every player can win. It's just so good!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
      edited August 2019
      PMAvers wrote: »
      Speaking of organizers, Go7 is having a holiday sale over the weekend for 20% off everything except bundles. Discount shows up in your cart as a coupon.

Go7 might be my favorite insert folks; I like the natural wood that Meeple Realty and Broken Token use, but Go7's stuff just goes together so easily.

That, and they include extra pieces on their cutouts to use for glue application, so I end up using Go7 stuff when putting other company's stuff together.

ED: Their bits boxes are particularly aces:

ut1j78zeiehf.jpg

I use a couple of the old-style ones for my X-Wing tokens.

Elvenshae on
    • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      Andrew Navarro of FFG did a very long AMA today, and was fairly open.

There's a lot of games they've confirmed are complete - Elder Sign and Eldrich Horror among them. There won't be anything new for Descent or Discover: Lands Unknown. Sounds like GoT 2nd edition is slowing way down.

It's interesting hearing him bounce around Imperial Assault. When it was first announced, things were definitely dicey with whatever they worked out, licensing wise. Well, it sounds like the chickens have come home to roost there. They are confirming again and again that nothing new is coming out for that. There will not be any kind of Legion / Imperial Assault crossover. And whether or not to keep producing IA content is "not up to him."

He also calls Netrunner a masterpiece of a game... which I can't really deny.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
      Athenor wrote: »

There's a lot of games they've confirmed are complete - Elder Sign and Eldrich Horror among them. There won't be anything new for Descent or Discover: Lands Unknown. Sounds like GoT 2nd edition is slowing way down.

It's interesting hearing him bounce around Imperial Assault. When it was first announced, things were definitely dicey with whatever they worked out, licensing wise. Well, it sounds like the chickens have come home to roost there. They are confirming again and again that nothing new is coming out for that. There will not be any kind of Legion / Imperial Assault crossover. And whether or not to keep producing IA content is "not up to him."

Someone should really give ANR the full MTGA treatment.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      Sokpuppet wrote: »
      Athenor wrote: »

Someone should really give ANR the full MTGA treatment.

Will never happen now that WotC and FFG aren't working together anymore.

And what's more, it sounds like FFG is still having a really hard time with digital product. Andrew was lamenting about how hard the X-wing app has been to support. Probably because it was free?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
      edited August 2019
      I saw the expansion for Inis in the wild but didn’t grab it because I was like... the base game is kind of perfect and I want more plays of the base version as is.

The expansion is worth it for the fifth player components, tbh, since they carefully tweak the action cards

This is so confusing to me. Inis doesn't take that long to play unless people are bad at it. It's pretty rare for people to be really bad at a game like that, but also enjoy playing it. It's pretty rare for those people to buy an expansion for a game they don't like, or to get to the point of using it even if they did all-in on it.
      I mean, power to them and whatnot, but part of what makes Inis so great is how finely balanced the conditions for victory are.
      big shrug

I dunno, I think Inis has taken my group progressively longer to play as everyone's gotten better at it. After 40 plays, we're always aware of everyone's access to victory conditions and move to deny each other as soon as we get close. When someone grabs a surprise victory condition, usually we can remove it or set up exactly one victory condition for a non-Brenn opponent. My group was too skeptical of the tiebreakers to play with them - instead of the game going another round the players share the victory? 🤔 The business of "two people have a condition each and then lose it so the Brenn wins" seemed unlikely to come up. The game is only occasionally too long, where we're a little too good at denying each other and start wanting the game to end. The rest of the time it's sort of medium length and very fun? Not as long as Great Western Trail, maybe the same as Five Tribes and Blood Rage, longer than China or Arboretum.

Islands and the new red cards were hot fire - nothing that breaks the game, just more variety. Not sure I'm more than lukewarm on the Seasons mechanic but it didn't hurt anything.

As someone who plays Inis only occasionally and loves it, I'm encouraged that even after 40 plays, it's "only occasionally too long" and usually "medium length and very fun".

jergarmar on
      When I was a child, I had a fever...
      jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
      My BoardGameGeek profile
      Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
    • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
      pulled out Root again last night and Marquis/Alliance/Lizards is a shockingly good matchup, it might be the best game of it we've played yet

and weirdly enough The Dreaded Vagabond might be the missing piece to really put it all together

6F32U1X.png
    • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
      jergarmar wrote: »

big shrug

As someone who plays Inis only occasionally and loves it, I'm encouraged that even after 40 plays, it's "only occasionally too long" and usually "medium length and very fun".

It is a masterpiece

sig.gif
      edited August 2019
      Blood Rage is also excellent and worth playing dozens of times, whatever the silly-looking dinosaur tells you

I bought Push-A-Monster and the component quality is trash (you'll want to glue on the stickers and shim the monster table) but it's a smash hit everywhere I take it. Learning the game takes 2 minutes, the game takes an hour, and at least once everyone at the table will laugh at a brutal monster drop. Great buy for $15 or whatever

Powerpuppies on
      sig.gif
    • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
      edited August 2019
      I really want dune and I'm also pretty sure I could never get the 4-6 players for it from my friends

This life is unforgiving

initiatefailure on
    • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
      38thDoe wrote: »
      I don’t know anything about it though, what is it and why do I want it?
      I really want dune and I'm also pretty sure I could never get the 4-6 players for it from my friends

This life is unforgiving

Same issue for me a few years back. But after I made the PNP I roped some friends in and my spouse and they liked it.
      Or it was out of pity. I even translated the rules into my native language and made some player aids.

What helped is that I made a play on my friends nostalgia. We used to watch dune late at night after coming home from the club.

steam_sig.png
    • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      The SUSD review of Dune has some amazing bits. I am tempted to buy Dune even though I literally would get it to the table once if I forced the issue. I will be strong! ( And wait fora super cheap used copy after someone else realizes that they too will never play dune ;) )

• Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
      I'm going to be playing Dune next weekend; my buddy pre-ordered it at Gen Con (it's his 3rd copy of the game, he has two of the AH sandworm covers). We actually had the issue of finding a good heavier game for 6 this go-round so it's arriving just in time for that.

He hasn't been able to get it on the table in forever (90s?) so he's super hyped. We will be teaching the other 4, will be interesting because half of the table has no real exposure to this more old-school style of board game design.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
    • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      I also want Dune, and I've never played the previous one.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
      Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuune

• FryFry Registered User regular
      The board games must flow

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
      I played Wingspan tonight. I really liked it! Dammit. Now I’m going to have to buy it. My poor wallet...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
      Got Founders of Gloomhaven to the table again last night. Only two players which works surprisingly well. Scoring is tricky as basically every scoring move gives something to the other player, so we were neck and neck throughout until I managed to deliver some level 3 resources to prestige buildings which is the only way you earn substantial non-trickling points it seems

I think it's prone to more "one giant road that connects everything" than higher player counts. Although maybe that's just naive play and really people need to resist the temptation to connect when they can reimport things. We only had one repeated resource building at all

Less confusion about scoring and connectivity this time which was good.

Also given the strength of the level 3 advisors, I think there's a strategy that involves heavily going in on advisors almost regardless of the specifics.

I'm still a fan despite its really rough edges

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
      Most curious to see how new Dune plays out with the 2 player alliance limits.

• Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
      Not being able to make deals/bribes between allies will also be interesting.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
    • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      Last weekend's board game session was a bunch of lighter fare capped with Lords of Waterdeep!

Ramen Fury really catches the eye with its unique packaging, but it should have been titled "Instant Ramen Fury"; you are all racing to fill up your three bowls to make (and eat) delicious instant ramen, while sabotaging people with chili peppers. Rules are easy to understand, shenanigans in the form of the chili peppers sound like it's a mean game. In practice, though, it's as mean as the people playing it are - those who aren't into kicking people in the shins will be more occupied with making the perfect (instant) ramen bowl -, and "take that" shenanigans are limited (you have two chances throughout the whole game, to steal an important ingredient from an opponent's uneaten ramen, or foist a pepper on someone's magnum opus to spoil it), so if you're a peaceful bunch you can still somewhat enjoy this, but the game is less strategic and more tactical once you know the whole proess. Building up on a ramen for big points paints you a target on your back, so do you build small and eat fast, or risk everyone's attention? Replayability wears out pretty quick, though, as you don't have enough card variety for different approaches to scoring. Overall it's a "fun to bring out sometimes" kind of game that you can safely suggest for casual gamers, those new to the hobby, or non-gamers, or as filler for a japanese themed board game evening.

Celestia is probably my first acquisition into the push your luck mechanic, and it fits well into our group with a maximum count of six players. It has been compared to Incan Gold, and it really is broadly similar - advance as a group and slowly increase the chance to go bust, delay retreating as late as possible to maximize scores - but the difference is in Celestia there's a factor of resources that each player has to consider. We got some rules terribly wrong, though - there are way too many timing issues it's a good thing we have played Magic: the Gathering we can map our way out of those.

Speaking of Magic, Unstable Unicorns is kinda like that? No casting costs, just, draw a card, put down a card (or draw a second one), and you just have sorceries, counterspells ("Neighs"), enter your control (not the battlefield), beginning of your upkeep turn It's a chore at seven players, though, but I am keen to playing it at a lower player count. Large overhead at the start since everyone will need to read everyone else's played cards. It suffers from Munchkin Close Victory syndrome, though, and more players mean more people who has a chance of stopping you, but I think I like this more than Exploding Kittens.

Lastly, Lords of Waterdeep is Lords of Waterdeep, but we won't play this without Skullport - the Corruption mechanic is so good. Still good, still long at six.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
      but... i want my ramen to be spicy

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      That's also a bit of verisimilitude failure, yes. BUT instead of losing points, you gain double points per pepper if the flavor packet you dumped into the bowl was "Fury Flavor"!

edited September 2019

Celestia is probably my first acquisition into the push your luck mechanic, and it fits well into our group with a maximum count of six players. It has been compared to Incan Gold, and it really is broadly similar - advance as a group and slowly increase the chance to go bust, delay retreating as late as possible to maximize scores - but the difference is in Celestia there's a factor of resources that each player has to consider. We got some rules terribly wrong, though - there are way too many timing issues it's a good thing we have played Magic: the Gathering we can map our way out of those.

For as simple a game as Celestia is it has waaaaay to many rules and rules questions. I got rid of it eventually got that reason. The core game is super fun, but it's got unwieldy garbage piled high on top of it's fun simple framework. It's a reimplementation of Cloud 9, which if memory serves is the same game without all the special cards nonsense. I'd much rather play that, or just play Incan Gold.

Ah_Pook on
    • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
      Speaking of Magic, Unstable Unicorns is kinda like that? No casting costs, just, draw a card, put down a card (or draw a second one), and you just have sorceries, counterspells ("Neighs"), enter your control (not the battlefield), beginning of your upkeep turn It's a chore at seven players, though, but I am keen to playing it at a lower player count. Large overhead at the start since everyone will need to read everyone else's played cards. It suffers from Munchkin Close Victory syndrome, though, and more players mean more people who has a chance of stopping you, but I think I like this more than Exploding Kittens.

I do think it's somewhat better than Exploding Kittens, but the end game is still a miserable Munchin-esque experience. Just drags on way too long with everyone stopping a potential winner. It has not been suggested in our play group since.

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
      edited September 2019
      Updates from stuff I've played recently:

Q.E. is unreasonably good for what is a very light, very silly auction game. Plays in 20 minutes and almost anyone would enjoy this.

Vindication is super weird, but weirdly intriguing. The theme is barely there, but does actually elevate what would otherwise be a very bland Euro cube pusher.

City of the Big Shoulders and 18Lilliput might actually have been the bridges I needed to make me curious about 18XX. Both offer different aspects of the genre (and each has subtle problems), but in more condensed, streamlined forms.

Cartographers is a fun, novel Flip-and-Write spatial puzzle game that has some fun interaction, but sometimes feels a little to tame. Enjoyed it, but doesn't surpass Welcome To for me.

Darric on
      Underwater Cities seems really awesome so far. See how it holds up, but after a couple games I'm all the way in. Worker placement+tableau building+crunchiness... Yea it's real good. Not sure if I would still be onboard 4p, as that might be a 4+ hire game at that point.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      We actually also played QE last night and I completely agree - it's fantastic at being exactly what it is. Even the ending to our game was spectacular, as it turned out literally whoever won the final auction would have been eliminated. But none of us knew that. And it happened that someone outbid the person I was attempting to sell it to, and them stopping the sale actually made me lose because those 6 points for spending the least are really important.
      I absolutely would have played another game of it on the spot, except ...
      We played Ponzi Scheme.
      Oh my God, this game. I'm generally fine with games that have looming doom / juggling catastrophe, but Ponzi Scheme literally drops you out of a plane with a broken ripcord. Your goal is basically praying to not be the first person to hit the ground, and maybe do some good business before that time hits? I found it pretty brutal, because there wasn't really a tipping point where you get to do a little cushioning the blow, and thus no point where you feel good about anything. As someone who isn't particularly anxious, the game simply instilled anxiety. :P
      I was grateful when it ended, and also that I did not back Dragon's Interest. I would at least try the latter, but I think one game of this was enough for me.

Man I love Ponzi Scheme SO MUCH. It's definitely not a game that everyone is going to enjoy the feel of though. I recommend only playing it with Mac layers though, so there are enough people that you can wrangle deals to stay afloat longer.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
      Little confused. This past weekend my group wanted to play Scythe. I've had it sitting on my shelf since I got it from the kickstarter with no previous interest shown. The game even has a kid very spinoff by now, but apparently its suddenly a big thing to play.

They liked it btw.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
      Scythe sits at a nice spot of feeling heavy, but it really isn't. A lot of systems, but each one is super-simple.