As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[IC{ Alien RPG: Chariot of the Gods

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Leah - Pilot

Leah grunts.
    'Still don't see why we can't fly this thing home.
    Seems shipworthy enough.
    ... Once we figure out what killed the crew I guess.

Once heard of a ship passed too close to a star.
    Antigrav failed and they wound up like pressed flowers stuck to the walls.'

Leah shakes his head.
    'Anyway, harpoon and sidearm here if you got them.
    I'd agree with Lyron.
    Skip science and start up the engines and atmo in the bridge again.
    Fly it back to orbit somewhere by wire.'

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Lyron, the Cronus' docking port is hard to make out clearly. There looks like there might be some superficial damage, but it could be worse. The only way to tell if you'll be able to dock smoothly is to try it and see.

Is your approach going to be to pull up along side and dock? If so I'll need a piloting roll from Leah, Agility + Piloting.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Lyron Cham

"We don't know that everyone is dead" Lyron says to Leah.

"I know if I was floating in a pod out here, you'd have the decency to at least come take a peek before you held my funeral. Let's do they same for them."

Lyron grabs the ship layout printout to look closer.

"Captain, I can't tell from here how sturdy that dock connecton is. It's definitely got some pitting on the actuators and clamps, but it isn't obviously busted. Lets juet be careful going across."

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Leah - Pilot

Leah shrugs.
    'Just have to hope the automatic interlocks are still running then.'

Matching speed carefully, Leah pulls up to the dock.

Geth roll 8d6t6

8d6t6 0 [8d6t6=5, 3, 3, 4, 3, 4, 5, 5]

edited September 2019
    Geth roll 2d6t6 for the stress successes I was thinking of rolling but didn't

Lol

the stress successes I was thinking of rolling but didn't:
    2d6t6 0 [2d6t6=4, 4]

discrider on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Devin Mill - Captain

Devin nods. "That's a good point. Ok, let's aim for the power first, see if we can't bring this thing back to life."

Devin taps a few buttons on MU/TH/UR, reading their current tools and equipment.

"Yes, Lyron, we'll take the loader. I'll make sure everyone gets their hands on some gear. We're limited on actual weaponry, so I'll go without, but I'll also grab a motion tracker and pick up some slack on some other gear to make sure we can get everything. Obviously everyone needs to get a suit. Let's get docked, and then we'll all head over."

Equipment loadout:
    1 x M314 Motion Tracker (Power Supply 5) T - Devin
    1 x Cutting Torch (Power Supply 5) - Rye
    1 x Watatsumi Bolt Gun (4 shots) - Lyron
    1 xM4A3 Service Pistol (1 reload) - Wilson
    1 x SpaceSub ASSO-400 Harpoon Grappling Gun - Leah
    1 x M240 Incinerator Unit (2 reloads) - Rye
    1 x P-5000 Power Loader - Lyron
    5 x IRC Mk.50 Compression suit (starting Air Supply 5 in each) - each crew gets one

AustinP0027 on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    JJ Wilson, W-Y Field Rep

Wilson blanches when Captain Mill hands him the gun, but nods.

"If there's anything secure in there, I might be able to get us in."

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited September 2019
    Lyron Cham, Roughneck

"Don't worry Uncle Will. You won't have to shoot that thing. A piracy trap isn't impossible, but I haven't heard any rumors about that recently. Besides, it isn't a ship carrying cargo like ours. I don't think any lowlifes would be dumb enough to setup on a USC exploration ship . That's a one way ticket to getting an ass full of a couple dozen angry marines."

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    JJ Wilson, W-Y Field Rep

Wilson smiles, but still looks worried.

"In all seriousness, guys, like I was telling the captain - nobody's heard from this ship in a long time. It was a science vessel; be prepared for weird."

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Rye suits up, attaching the Power Cutter to her pack and picking up the Incinerator. She grins, hefting the flame thrower. "Ready to light weird shit up, cap'n."

Lyron Cham, Roughneck

"...weird like a dangerous chemical leak?"

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Leah - Pilot

'... weird like are they deliberately flying dark?',
    Leah ponders, tapping the console and wondering what the hell these airlock interlocks are doing,
    'Gotta have been some full on power failure, or someone's turned the engines off manually'

The Montero gradually and not gracefully approaches the Cronus. Normally when docking the other ships pilot is cooperating, or at least it's automatic systems are talking to you. No such luck here and just because you don't have gravity doesn't mean there isn't any inertia. The approach is 99.9% perfect, but that still results in the Montero slightly scraping the Cronus, you still manage to hook into them and the Montero's umbilical attaches to the Cronus, giving you your first direct readout from the other ship.

As expected life support is not active on the Cronus right now, it could be damage or it could be off to save power if everyone is asleep. There won't be enough air to breathe on the other side so you'll all have to go in suited, at least until you are able to get life support turned back on.

Devin Mill - Captain

Devin grimaces slightly when the ships scrape, but he says nothing to Leah about it. No captain was stupid enough to berate a pilot for having to pull off an unintended dock on an unresponsive ship. "Good dock, Leah."

"Alright, everyone, get your suits on and meet at the docking port. We'll go across, try to get power and life support back on, then figure it out from there." Devin gets inside his compression suit, checking the seals to ensure that nothing was left to chance. He also flicks the power on the motion tracker quickly just to ensure it kicks on, and when satisfied, flicks it back off, stowing it to his belt with a clip.

Waiting at the port, he does a quick mental checklist of everything they'd need to check.

For @Neaden
    Do we need to do rolls to cross over? Or are we just assuming that we all made it once everyone has said they are ready to cross?

Rye heads to the docking point, fully suited up, meeting the captain. "Captain," she nods. "They didn't give you any idea what might be on this thing or why they're interested in it?" She shrugs. "Sorry for the questions, I trust you, sir. I just don't like going into situations blindly."

Leah - Pilot

Leah pouts as he suits up.
    He didn't get to do his 'best gunslinger' bit.
    Ah well, still a chance to get a Moby Dick joke in with the harpoon.

'We ready to roll then?
    ... Maybe be careful and float through the umbilical though.
    The interlocks seemed a bit tetchy when we docked.'

Devin Mills - Captain

Devin looks at Rye and shakes his head. "They didn't give me anything other than the standard 'we're your boss, and we're telling you that you need to do. Wilson might actually know more than he's let on, but I'm not sure if he's going to be sharing that with us. For now, we assume the worst and watch each other's asses."

Lyron Cham, Roughneck

Lyron dons his suit. And moves toward the connector with the power loader. Zzzeeet. Vuunt. zzeet. Vuunt. Zzeet. the small mech was great for multiplying lifting force.

"And it comes with a limited lifetime warranty, with a full powercore maintenance program at no additional charge", he could still hear his father pitch.

He had been on salvage trips before. He knew that it could be any number of surprises in there for him. Cargo blocking the way. A runaway reaction could have melted a whole deck. At best it would help if they needed to transfer any serious repair materials.

"Ready Captain"

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    JJ Wilson, W-Y Field Rep

Wilson dons the protective equipment, taking extra care over the seals.

"All I know is if we can't save the ship, they want the data and any biological samples we can find. I'd make really sure your air seals are tight; there was a nasty flu back then they might've been sampling."

kshu0oba7xnr.png

The Cronus and Monterro lock into each other, the decades old equipment of the Cronus attaches as it moves for the first time in any of your lifetimes. You enter the umbilical as it seals, giving you a view of the Cronus' airlock, which is buckled from the inside, as if there was an explosion or some other force from inside. The damage is enough that the door doesn't open on it's own, and the welder has to be used to open the outer airlock door which might cause a problem on the way back. Of a more immediate concern is the sight that greets you between the outer and inner airlocks. A dead person in a space suit is slumped in a corner of the room, their face blown off by the shotgun resting in their lap. Brains, bone, and blood have frozen to the wall behind the figure, you'll have to pass by to get through the inner airlock doors and into the Cronus proper.

Everyone gains one Stress Die from seeing the dead person.

Leah - Pilot

Leah's smile freezes as he sees the dead body.
    Bit hard to crack wise about the ghost ship when the ghosts are in the room.

Leah shakes his head.
    'Poor sod. Ran here looking to get off, but the door was jammed'.

He sighs.
    Getting his teeth he inches forward.
    'You were right about those Cyro-pods Cham.
    Got to set this guy right'

Tentatively righting the body, Leah gives the dead shipmate a once-over to try and establish his identity and the situation of his death, before delivering a curt eulogy.

Geth roll 6d6t6+1d6t6 for Empathy Observation and stress

Empathy Observation and stress:
    6d6t6+1d6t6 0 [6d6t6=1, 3, 3, 3, 2, 5] [1d6t6=3]

'Though we might never know thee, we are kindred spirits, braving the inky black.
    May you find your loved ones, as we find ours. Hopefully on the way back.

Devin Mills - Captain

Devin freezes also at the sight of the body. Finding death on a supposedly abandoned ship wasn't all that surprising, you expect that something of this sort might have happened, but finding a body that looked to have blown their own face off certainly wasn't a death he would expect. A pang of regret hit him that he had brought his crew over to this ship, but he pushed it away quickly. Complete the job, get off this ship, get paid.

"Let's get our bearings, then head towards the reactor, see if we can get this thing powered up."
    What's our entry point on the provided map? Are we at Junction A-1?

Yes, sorry for not mentioning it you are at A-1. Once you enter the ship you will also enter Stealth Mode in game terms. In Stealth Mode I will be measuring Turns, which take about XXX minutes. In each Turn you can travel Two Zones on the map, keeping an eye out for any encounters and exploring the zones. If you want to do something specifically in a Zone it may take up half a Turn or more of time. You can also use the Motion Tracker once per turn which can detect movement within 4 Zones. During this time I might also be making secret rolls for NPCs, who may or may not be aware of your presence.
    Stealth Mode also is introducing Supply Rolls into the game. Each Turn will require you to make an Air Supply Roll, and using the Motion Tracker or other equipment might make you use a Power Supply Roll. When you make a Supply Roll you roll dice equal to your Supply rating, each 1 that you roll will decrease your rating by one. If your rating goes to 0 you run out of that supply.

Lyron Cham, Roughneck

"Shit. What could have caused a blast like that? We'll have to cut through. Everyone be on the lookout for explosive material leaks. Anything flammable."

Lyron sees the body about the same time as everyone else.

"Augh. The poor bastard. Something bad happened in there. Something really bad. You don't blow yourself away like that unless you know you're already dead."

He steps down briefly toward to body.

Hand up towards his forehead, down towards his sternum. Left, right.

Speaking quietly "I believe in the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and in life everlasting. Amen"

He leans forward, picking up the shotgun.

"I don't want this falling over and blasting someone"

He checks to see if it is loaded.

"Someone secure this"

"Captain, whatever killed this man is still in there. Maybe a virus like Wilson said. Maybe he drew the short straw on working cryochambers. If we find anyone in the other chambers, we should make sure they are clear before we move them or anything. And if we do find biological samples like Wilson said, lets make sure they are contained."

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Devin Mills - Captain

Devin raises his voice to the group after Leah and Lyron give the dead body its last rites. "Alright, after seeing this, I'm convinced that sticking together as a group is our best option. Our goal is the reactor relay control, two decks down. There's another junction at the back of the ship that'll take us down, and give us a chance to check out the Cryo chambers along the way."

"If there's anything else you wanted to check before we go, do it now. Otherwise, let's move"
    As a sidenote, I have no supply skill at all, so the Air Supply roles will be....interesting

Leah - Pilot
    'I'd maybe suggest swinging past the bridge first.
    Could be that everything's just switched off.'
    Leah brushes his helmet.
    'Just can't imagine the engines failing as well as the electronics and life support.
    Why you'd switch everything off though...'

Sorry for not being clearer, Supply Rolls are not from a skill, but from the equipment. So your IRC Mk.50 Compression suit starts with an Air Supply of 5.

Leah - Pilot
    Coming back from a particularly involved guitar solo, Leah finally parses what the Captain said.
    "So we're taking the express route to weird?
    Looks like that junction takes us straight past the Science wing.

How about we head to the flight deck instead. Maybe pick up a can or two of Pierre-air from the Evac suit storage there, and then look at going past Science, after figuring what we're walking into.

Captain's log should be at the flight deck, or at least some note of what went down, even if turning everything back on is a long shot."

JJ Wilson, W-Y Field Rep

Wilson wordlessly takes the shotgun from Lyron and examines it quietly.

"I'd lock the doors to the Montero, just to be sure. Decontamination is going to need to be a priority as well. Whatever this man didn't want to die of, we don't either."
    I'm away on business this week - keep things moving as needed w/o me, though I'll pop in.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Devin Mill - Captain

Devin studies the map of the Cronos more, beginning to nod slowly. "Yeah....yeah, I think I agree. Let's head down one level. We can hit up the bridge, but there's the EVA suit storage like Leah said, and the Armory on the other end. It wouldn't hurt to make sure we stock up. Objections?"
    Last chance to object, otherwise we should get moving.

"Let's move," Rye says, quietly, forcefully not looking at the body. "I dont want to stick around here any longer than we have to."

(Ooc: do I need to use the power cutter to get us through the door?)

edited September 2019
    Lyron Cham, Roughneck

Lyron climbs back onto the loader.

"Perhaps we could access the mainframe directly. If I'm reading this layout correctly, we should be directly next to it when entering. If it has any backup power still, it should give us a readout. If it doesn't, then I doubt anything will, and we should move directly to the reactor. We don't have a whole lot of air here, so messing around with anything before we have life support on is probably a bad idea.

Otherwise we should plan out resupply stations, or stay within refill range of the Montero. Last thing we want is to run out of air.

If the lifts aren't on, we might have to leave the loader on this level. Depends on how big the ladder shafts are.

Your decision though Cap."
    @neaden how loaded was that shotgun?

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Devin Mill - Captain

"We enter, go down a level, and hit up the EVA Suit storage bay first. I want assurance that we won't run out of air. " Devin says emphatically, taking charge of the situation.

"After that, we hit the bridge, see if we can get a status of the ship. Maybe we'll get lucky and we just need to turn everything on. Maybe not. Either way, the more info we get first, the better plan we can make from there."
    Let's go in. We'll go down one level, Then right.

Depending on how rooms count, we should be either in the hallway outside the EVA room, or in the room (not sure if hallways count as 1 room move).

Leah - Pilot
    'Sounds good, let's roll'

Geth roll 5d6l1 for asphyxiation

asphyxiation:
    5d6l1 2 [5d6l1=[2], 3, 3, 4, 5]

edited September 2019
    Geth roll 1d10z1 for I'm a filthy meatbag
    Geth roll 1d10f1 for I'm a filthy meatbag

Geth roll 1d10m1 for I'm a filthy meatbag
    Geth roll 1d10b1 for I'm a filthy meatbag
    Geth roll 10d10m3 for I'm a filthy meatbag

I'm a filthy meatbag:
    1d10m1 5 [1d10m1=5]

discrider on
    edited September 2019
    Not sure if there's a fails only mode..
    Geth roll 10d10m3 for I'm a filthy meatbag
    .. this appears to reroll

I'm a filthy meatbag:
    10d10m3 53 [10d10m3=3, 4, 4, 9, 3, 9, 3, 6, 8, 4]

discrider on
    Wilson, when you examine the shotgun you see that it has one shot remaining.

Your group enters the ship proper finally. It is in eerily good repair, if it wasn't for the lack of a breathable atmosphere you might think that the crew of the ship had only been asleep for a few weeks, instead of most of a century if they are lucky. The lights are not on but your suits built in lights are adequate to show you the way, though the shadows and dust are unhelpful for your peace of mind. You make your way to the stairwell, and down to the B deck, you see no obvious signs of malfunction or danger.

Once you get to B deck you proceed to the vestibules. There should be a pair of escape pods here, along with the suits you would grab on your way out. You see the silhouettes of a pair of suits here, but both pod bays show a red light indicating that the pods have departed the ship. The suits are functional, though out of date. It's not like the Company updates its designs very often though, so they are not that different then what you have on. They are red, bulky, and their indicator lights flash green when pressed. Longevity is apparently one of the few areas the company doesn't cheap out on, better than having to pay for a replacement.

Sorry for the delay guys, my computer troubles are hopefully coming to a close soon but in the meantime it's making longer posts hard. Also, are you going to be using the Motion tracker, if so you'll need to make a Power Roll for it.
    We'll only count this as half of a Turn for Stealth Mode, so you can head to another room before making a supply roll.

"Where to, Captain?" Rye says. "Should we split up so we can be more efficient?"