As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW Classic] More full servers than Live.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited September 2019 in MMO Extravaganza
wow-classic.jpg

After several years of waiting, Blizzard brought back Vanilla World of Warcraft in the form of WoW Classic. Much to their surprise, WoW classic launched to more demand than the original launch of the game.

WoW classic is running the 1.12 patch with upgraded graphics, some quality of life improvements, and a few other tweaks from the original WoW such as upgraded spell usage for the server.

charselect.png

WoW Classic is Live as of the 27th of August.

PA Guild info:
Alliance PVE - Pagle (Sixteen Daggers)
Alliance PVP - Fairbanks (Schizzo of Exuberance)
Horde PVP - Fairbanks (Booty Bay Boys)
Alliance PVP - Fairbanks (Startlingly Retro)

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    New troll here...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    New thread but it's the same crap we were posting 15 years ago.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm not posting any of the crap I was posting 15 years ago.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    @Smrtnik - from old thread
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    doing instances feels great again, that's my favorite part, even with non guildies people don't just bail (usually)

We did have someone bail on our bfd run because we had to wait on a boat... I can't imagine the dps found a replacement group before we all got there.

I had to bail on a DM run the other day because my baby was screaming at 1am and my wife came in the computer room to tell me "your turn".

You should have responded, "Well then it's your turn here too! Make me proud!"

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Rofl, she played a bit of wow with me a few years ago, every time she died in have she'd quit for a couple of weeks out of frustration. Never did a dungeon run. She hasn't played in a while but made it very clear she has 0 interest in classic based on what i told her about it.

steam_sig.png
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I hit 28 last night. I've got 1 quest left in Hillsbrad (Elixir of Agony; killing murlocs and naga), but I think I'm going to have to come back for it later. Spent an hour+ last night in 5-man group with a buddy grinding for Humbert's Sword (we got 2 Humbert's chest armor before the sword dropped...)

Arathi/STV is unfortunately a little to high for me yet, so I think I'm going to switch continents and knock out some other zone(s) that will be mostly green quests. Currently leaning toward Stonetalon right now? The zone isn't super spread out and there are a couple of decently defined quest hubs, so I'm thinking it will be pretty quick. Then I plan to finish off the quests in Hillsbrad and move into Arathi.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I hit 28 last night. I've got 1 quest left in Hillsbrad (Elixir of Agony; killing murlocs and naga), but I think I'm going to have to come back for it later. Spent an hour+ last night in 5-man group with a buddy grinding for Humbert's Sword (we got 2 Humbert's chest armor before the sword dropped...)

Arathi/STV is unfortunately a little to high for me yet, so I think I'm going to switch continents and knock out some other zone(s) that will be mostly green quests. Currently leaning toward Stonetalon right now? The zone isn't super spread out and there are a couple of decently defined quest hubs, so I'm thinking it will be pretty quick. Then I plan to finish off the quests in Hillsbrad and move into Arathi.

at 28 you can go to charred veil (in stonetalon) and I'm pretty sure the horde have a bunch of quests there for exactly that level to push you over the top

i just finished there as alliance... the mining there is... unbelievably good.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    oh yeah new thread whoops

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    but yeah @Jasconius when that dps bailed were were like "all... right?"

like did he think we were in SW and had to go collect all the flight paths or something

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

at 28 you can go to charred veil (in stonetalon) and I'm pretty sure the horde have a bunch of quests there for exactly that level to push you over the top

Yep! It looks like there may be some lockboxes to pick in the area too. I'm also to the point where my skinning isn't giving skill-ups and I can't proceed on leveling my leatherworking without heavy hide, so I can focus on some place a little less beast-heavy for now. If I remember right, STM is mostly harpies and spiders?

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Any chance of finally adding in guilds info to the OP? It was super hard to start finding them all in the old one, now would become relatively impossible.

I do plan on being horde on fairbanks, so if I ever get past the queue @Stragint

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I've decided any time the queue is too long on Fairbanks I'll just play a horde alt on Anathema.

It works so far.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Just had a kind odd experience. We had a warlock for Scarlet Monastery armory that wouldn't do anything other than cast rain of fire and attack with his wand. And he spent a lot of time standing still doing nothing. His succubus didn't even attack in most fights. In fact he didn't even summon it until I asked about him not having a pet.

We ended up kicking him and killed Herod as a 4 man group. Damn that jerk has a lot of hp.

Yep! It looks like there may be some lockboxes to pick in the area too. I'm also to the point where my skinning isn't giving skill-ups and I can't proceed on leveling my leatherworking without heavy hide, so I can focus on some place a little less beast-heavy for now. If I remember right, STM is mostly harpies and spiders?

the charred veil has many basilisks which are skinnable

@Roe can you mod your OP and list all of the guilds and their servers?

Horde PVP - Fairbanks (The Dead Boyz) (??)

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I think I'm seeing Botting Hunters already in Westfall, is that possible ?

Also, Westfall at Level 10, I had forgotten what a chore that zone can be.

i saw botting hunters on day 1. triple boxed. i've also seen the gold farm adverts in trade

i think that was pretty much to be expected

gold farmers also use another, even simpler tactic.. hacking peoples accounts, vendoring all the gear, and sending the silver/gold to their bank characters

grab an authenticator if you don't already have one!

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

The Fairbanks guild is named Startlingly Retro and to join you /join paa and ask someone in there. tell 'em Dohaeris/the PA forums sent you and we'll get you a link to the discord.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Done.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

The Fairbanks guild is named Startlingly Retro and to join you /join paa and ask someone in there. tell 'em Dohaeris/the PA forums sent you and we'll get you a link to the discord.

Are there 2 horde Fairbanks guilds?

Also, it is Ded Boyz, no A. Just in case anyone does a /who for a guild invite.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »

No no, alliance. PAA folk from Dark Iron and the webcomic wars back in the day. We have 40+ people so far and it has been an absolute blast seeing so many people I played with so long ago.

Oh someone said it was schizzo twice so that's what I went with

No no, alliance. PAA folk from Dark Iron and the webcomic wars back in the day. We have 40+ people so far and it has been an absolute blast seeing so many people I played with so long ago.

I will have an absolute blast seeing you all too after I make you a corpse :D

edited September 2019
    Oh someone said it was schizzo twice so that's what I went with

I mean it is the name of an officer so I'm sure he'd love to be the guild name too :P
    Kai_San wrote: »

I will have an absolute blast seeing you all too after I make you a corpse :D

Gonna be hard to do that from inside the lava in the volcano!

To clarify, the Alliance PvP guild on Fairbanks is named Startlingly Retro.
    To join it, do a /join paa and tell 'em you'd like to get into the guild and an officer will help you out if there's one available.

SniperGuy on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The more I play, the more I realize how many QoL niceities I'm going to miss as Warrior. Like having charge in Defensive Stance, instead of having to dance to Battle, charge, then Dance to Defensive (which is not 'compelling game play', it's just busy key presses).

Also Shockwave :(

Still having a pretty good time over all though. We'll see if my nostalgia high lasts long enough to make it to end game :D

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The more I play, the more I realize how many QoL niceities I'm going to miss as Warrior. Like having charge in Defensive Stance, instead of having to dance to Battle, charge, then Dance to Defensive (which is not 'compelling game play', it's just busy key presses).

Still having a pretty good time over all though. We'll see if my nostalgia high lasts long enough to make it to end game :D

BC/Wrath is the sweet point for mechanics but I don't know how far down that path I want to walk. I'd probably be okay with BC's release as a classic progression but wrath's might just be too much.

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Wrath would certainly have to be the end of the re-release pipeline. One, because it was arguably the peak of the game for older players and two, once you introduce all the Cataclysm world changes it loses all meaning.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
    Noooo because I hold out a sliver of hope I will get to play mop for the first time someday.

If anything that is a good stopping point because it was before classes were drastically changed forever.

• Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Am I going to be shunned if I go Druid? Specifically from the PVP guilds?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    The only way I'd like to see them do BC is if it's a completely separate thing entirely.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    Am I going to be shunned if I go Druid? Specifically from the PVP guilds?

druids are absolutely insane in PVP, especially resto and feral

on a PVP server you'll be a god while leveling up

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular

I unlocked defensive stance, and then was very confused when I couldn't cast thunderclap. I guess I didn't pay much attention to what warriors were doing back then, other than knowing about tab-sunder-tab-sunder...

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    New troll here...

The screenshot in the OP appears to be of a new orc actually. :D

edited September 2019
    Noggin wrote: »

I unlocked defensive stance, and then was very confused when I couldn't cast thunderclap. I guess I didn't pay much attention to what warriors were doing back then, other than knowing about tab-sunder-tab-sunder...

ohhhh..... you got enough rage to use sunder armor more than once? please, please DO TELL :)

it's definitely weird. i tanked a LOT in vanilla and 100% forgot about the loss of thunderclap in D stance. It's unpleasant but workable, and the challenge is fun. Luckily a lot of classes that cleave hard can sort of deal with the pain they bring upon themselves.....

i just wish.... even 5 or 10 more rage at the start of fights.. and I think I could stay ahead of the slavering horde of retail-style DPS

Jasconius on
    One thing I legitimately enjoy about Classic is how in early dungeons I can run out or low on ammo, and just flip to dual-wield melee combat for certain fights.

Like, yes, I shouldn't be running out of ammo that often and it's a pain for everyone, but actually being forced to manage that resource wisely is super fun for me.

Plus I really like dual-wielding a sword+dagger while flanking with my pet.

the amount of deaths at 40 once dungeons start actually doing some damage because of plate are in for a world of hurt if they're still doing the "blow dps load instantly" thing they're all doing now.

For real even like 5 seconds is all I need usually to hold threat without stopping every 20 seconds to drink. The group I went into gnomer with was just absolute chaos and the healer went on to say "this is the best group I've had" before absolutely stopping healing to do dps.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I tanked my first instance (stocks) yesterday and the rage management was pretty tuff, but it went well. Managed to keep aggro for the most part, although the level 32 rogue did take it from me now and then, and we only wiped once when our 22 warrior pulled thredd and the two adjacent rooms just by walking through the door.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    I tanked my first instance (stocks) yesterday and the rage management was pretty tuff, but it went well. Managed to keep aggro for the most part, although the level 32 rogue did take it from me now and then, and we only wiped once when our 22 warrior pulled thredd and the two adjacent rooms just by walking through the door.

@Thawmus

I can't help being so damn attractive.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »

ohhhh..... you got enough rage to use sunder armor more than once? please, please DO TELL :)

it's definitely weird. i tanked a LOT in vanilla and 100% forgot about the loss of thunderclap in D stance. It's unpleasant but workable, and the challenge is fun. Luckily a lot of classes that cleave hard can sort of deal with the pain they bring upon themselves.....

i just wish.... even 5 or 10 more rage at the start of fights.. and I think I could stay ahead of the slavering horde of retail-style DPS

This is why Tactical Mastery and Anger Management are considered must-have talents for tanks. Rage management in vanilla was real. And you still have the inverse rage problem that Warriors have always had (e.g. better gear = generating less rage from taking damage, which is not offset by you doing more damage generally).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.