As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Squad sub leaders!

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    You're all welcome. Last night I wished this upon you.

And now it has come true.

you monster

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

you monster

Hey don't give her all the credit; I've been championing this for ages.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    lightning gorilla
    trying to make electric
    relevant again

camo_sig.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

you monster

Want to hunt? Join my quest.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    For Lao Shan, I checked a guide by Gaijin Hunter, and the most important part of his guide is to not do too much damage to Lao in the first phase, because that makes the fight longer. There's a damage cap before the 2nd phase so it's wasted ammo on him and you keep pushing him back, so you probably add 20 minutes or so to the fight.

Satsumomo wrote: »
    For Lao Shan, I checked a guide by Gaijin Hunter, and the most important part of his guide is to not do too much damage to Lao in the first phase, because that makes the fight longer. There's a damage cap before the 2nd phase so it's wasted ammo on him and you keep pushing him back, so you probably add 20 minutes or so to the fight.

We've had it happen. It takes forever+ when that situation triggers.

We've had it happen. It takes forever+ when that situation triggers.

TBF we keep trying for the 2nd Demolisher shot. Probably unecessary.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Yup, that is one of the main points in the video, don't go for that 2nd shot. Heck, I'll just post it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TnFCxKhuEU

I loosely followed the guide and managed to defeat it solo, so in a group this should be pretty easy and quick.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Oh man. I hate rajang so much. Hopefully he's heavily reworked to be less "he moved, lose all your hp"

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    You guys remember that part in the Avengers where Banner Hulks out and then singlehandedly crushes the giant alien monster with his fist?

I like to imagine thats what a Rajang vs Zorah turf war would turn into.

edited September 2019
    I am hype for the Rajang vs Kirin turf war.

Satsumomo on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    People are talking up the difficulty of Rajang a lot, but I remember a lot of the same "oh man the World newbies are in for a rude awakening" dialogue preceding the release of Deviljho

dN0T6ur.png
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The main difference is that Deviljho first showed up in MH3 (on the Wii) where Rajang debuted rather further back in the monster hunter timeline, so the fight is rather, er, jankier (and frankly not very fun as far as I'm concerned). Hopefully the monster has been significantly re-tooled for Iceborne.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I think all the fights in MHW have been quite a bit easier than they've been hyped up in previous installments. I think that boils down to the fights being rebalanced on a new platform, where the monsters aren't blurry blobs on a small screen, and the control scheme isn't warmed over shit exacerbated by a portable's controller.

wbee62u815wj.png
    edited September 2019
    One step closer to getting Kecha Wacha and Congalala.

WEIRD ASS MONKEYS ASSEMBLE.

Dr. Chaos on
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Unfortunately probably a lot closer to Blagonga but yeah here comes Planet of the Apes.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

you monster

Want to hunt? Join my quest.

I'd joke that you'd have to be online for that to happen, but look at that, Iceborne dead ahead :rotate:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited September 2019
    Wyborn wrote: »
    People are talking up the difficulty of Rajang a lot, but I remember a lot of the same "oh man the World newbies are in for a rude awakening" dialogue preceding the release of Deviljho

Did you find the super event Jho easy?Because that was more inline with the Jho we were thinking of and I think it translates true.

You underestimate Rajang at your own peril I guess.

Seidkona on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Oh man, i'd adore getting Kecha Wacha back. There's quite a few gen 4 monsters i want back actually - Kecha Wacha, Gore Magalaa (I'm so-so on Shaggy coming back, but Gore and Chaos gore yes plz), Seltas, Seltas Queen.

Possibly also Konchu, because then we can get such feats as Konchu Kill Stealing You, or this eternal gem.

Ahtal-Ka would probably be cool, though i've never fought it - i hear good things about Rawket Dragon too.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Me: I guess I've seen all the cool monsters coming this expansion.

MHW: *macho man voice* waaaaaaait a minute!

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    But no, speaking to difficulty, some older monsters have had a lot of their sting removed because of the enhanced mobility that MHW offers players.

It's a lot harder to be caught when you can roll cancel out of healing.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Not really enjoying a lot of these tougher tempered monsters. All of a sudden I'm running into a lot more situations where I just need to i-frame dodge attacks that can one-shot me, or nearly one-shot me. Normally I like dodging things, but this game just hasn't really needed me to before so I don't have a good feel for it in this game, and it's making like 20 minutes of fighting come down to just the couple of times the monster uses an attack that can actually kill me.

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Finished off all four quests in the beta test. The main challenge was really the gear they give you rather than the monster itself!

Velkhana took several tries before I finally lucked into a competent group. Not sure if insect glaive got a buff in IB, or if the preset gear just had an actually good one, but the guy we had on the glaive managed to pretty consistently break off the ice armor and she spent quite a bit of time down on the ground stunned. However, even with lots of stuns, using both crystal drops in the second area, and generally great play (myself being the exception carting at the very end trying to push to beat the timer), we still only managed to kill it at 14:56 (4 seconds to spare).

Definitely looking forward to fighting it again with some decent gear! I just wish this wasn't dropping the same day as gears 5; while I'll probably focus on this for my solo play, I'm probably going to have to juggle the two whenever I have friends online.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I hate Rajang but he looks fantastic. The anguish he will bring is going to huge.

cB557 wrote: »
    Not really enjoying a lot of these tougher tempered monsters. All of a sudden I'm running into a lot more situations where I just need to i-frame dodge attacks that can one-shot me, or nearly one-shot me. Normally I like dodging things, but this game just hasn't really needed me to before so I don't have a good feel for it in this game, and it's making like 20 minutes of fighting come down to just the couple of times the monster uses an attack that can actually kill me.

I prefer it to the Apex monsters, what I like about the Hyper monsters is that their danger part is what glows, so I change my attack strategy based on what part is glowing. For example, if Rahian's tail is glowing, I just become way more defensive when she takes to the air, because she can pull off that tail flip just any second.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    cB557 wrote: »

I prefer it to the Apex monsters, what I like about the Hyper monsters is that their danger part is what glows, so I change my attack strategy based on what part is glowing. For example, if Rahian's tail is glowing, I just become way more defensive when she takes to the air, because she can pull off that tail flip just any second.

My problem with them is its all only elders, nothing but elders. Let me fight Gold Ian instead, etc. And a lot of the elders aren't fun to begin with. Kirin is way too hard to stagger and hyper mobile. Teostra demands specific strategies. Daora is utter bullshit. Lunastra is even worse. Vaal Hazak has unavoidable damage to begin with...

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I could have swor cB said Hyper and not Tempered :P

Yeah Tempered was honestly not really well done, prefer Hypers over Tempered any day.

edited September 2019

Did you find the super event Jho easy?Because that was more inline with the Jho we were thinking of and I think it translates true.

You underestimate Rajang at your own peril I guess.

I didn't find either version of Jho "easy," I just thought it was a bit overblown in terms of expectations vs reality

The way people talk up Rajang makes it sound worse than soloing AT Nerg. We'll see if that holds true, I guess

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Oh MHGU.... you are just so chalk full of too much stuff to do. Really need to get my ranks up to uncap my palico past level 20

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The other thing to bear in mind when people talk about Jho is that they used to pop up every now and then during the lower end of high rank quests, way before you had the proper gear to beat them, with that big, scary musical sting, just to ruin your day. By the time you actually got round to fighting them properly I never found it that difficult a hunt, in MH3 you barely had to roll to i-frame most of the hits even!

I found Jho to be harder in the older games because he would spam a pin move that would take away a huge deal of health from you, and also since maps were flatter and mobility was decreased, you were almost always relegated to hitting him on the legs only.

People also probably remember Savage Jho instead of regular ol' Jho, just like Rajang vs Furious Rajang.

Hopefully they won't have to redo models for quite awhile now as they start to get up to speed on the monster roster.

Future games should be pretty meaty compared to World.

I haven't been keeping up very well. Do we know if there's going to be a transmog system in Iceborne, and if so do we know how it's gonna work?

dN0T6ur.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I haven't been keeping up very well. Do we know if there's going to be a transmog system in Iceborne, and if so do we know how it's gonna work?

My understanding is that they are expanding on the layered armor options to include regular armors.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited September 2019
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

My understanding is that they are expanding on the layered armor options to include regular armors.
    Praying its all the regular armor and not just "hey, heres a few to work with and maybe if you're lucky, you can get some tickets in future events to unlock new ones".

If you've crafted an armor piece before, you should be able to use it as layered armor pieces.

Dr. Chaos on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    no its definitely a crafting thing.

I am hoping its a mix and match thing and not a full suit a la the witcher stuff.

camo_sig.png
    Being able to make reasonable outfits (or even cosplay) through mixing and matching layered pieces while keeping on whatever is actually optimal would be very nice

dN0T6ur.png
    I really love the stats and features of Val Hazaak's gamma suit but goddamn, I just get tired of looking at it after awhile.