As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Young Justice Season 3 just finished.

It was fucking FANTASTIC. Very, very much looking forward to season 4.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I got botp'd. putting this here for people to know its coming out inside of two weeks

edit*** er wait, my math and dates are wrong... not 2 weeks. october 7. just outside of a month

fucking yes. I'm totally down for more tartakovsky
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4UN616BFDA

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what I'm more in awe of, that beautifully fluid animation, or the fact that caveman just Falcon Punched a monkey in half.

It's a must see for me, definitely.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I'm more in awe of, that beautifully fluid animation, or the fact that caveman just Falcon Punched a monkey in half.

It's a must see for me, definitely.

We traded muscle mass for brain power.

Bad call evolution

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Young Justice Season 3 just finished.

It was fucking FANTASTIC. Very, very much looking forward to season 4.

Was just thinking about this show the other day when I saw my S1 and S2 DVDs. May need to sub to DC Universe for a month to watch it.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The advertising for Primal makes it looks like stupid gross garbage that I don’t want any part of.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Soooo "Brock Samson versus the Prehistoric World"?

Yeah. Yeah, I'm so down for this.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I dunno how I feel about Primal. I guess I'd sum it up as "It looks impressive, just not interesting"?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    I dunno how I feel about Primal. I guess I'd sum it up as "It looks impressive, just not interesting"?

Yeah, I'm also a bit curious how this could be kept up past episode five or so.

But Tartakovsky is a talented dude, so we'll see.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Back to Soul for a sec...

I was just thinking of how insane it would be to go back in time to like, 1998 and tell myself that in the future Nine Inch Nails will be scoring a PIXAR DISNEY movie.

Then I thought about how it would be MORE insane to go back and tell Trent Reznor that.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »

The hunter and the dinosaur aren't master and beast, but two predators. Starting as rivals and then realising that the other can complement the other and both benefit.
    Whilst the two transition from seeing the other as both potential predator or prey to something akin to allies, the world is changing drastically around them which provides the catalyst that lets them realise that the only way they can survive is with each other...and even that isn't certain.

Easily five+ episodes there, even with some sprinkling of chaos and things coming out of the left field for one of them. We're not writing game of thrones here, but making some really, striking emotional animation that tells part of a story over 15-20 mins.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

The hunter and the dinosaur aren't master and beast, but two predators. Starting as rivals and then realising that the other can complement the other and both benefit.
    Whilst the two transition from seeing the other as both potential predator or prey to something akin to allies, the world is changing drastically around them which provides the catalyst that lets them realise that the only way they can survive is with each other...and even that isn't certain. With some sprinkling of chaos and things coming out of the left field for both of them.

Easily five episodes there, even with some sprinkling of chaos and things coming out of the left field for one of them. We're not writing game of thrones here, but making some really, striking emotional animation that tells part of a story over 15-20 mins.

Oh no... what if it's a boy and his dog story. :'(

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The Steven Universe movie aired yesterday, it was lovely.

Spoiler:
    Geez Pink Diamond was so shitty.

• Options
    Ok so I got a YouTube tv trial to watch the SU movie so I decided to catch up on American Dad.
    I love that this show has gone utterly insane.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cute movie. Fun villain.
    Little disappointed it ended on such a 'back to the status quo' note (even given the shiny new status quo) with Spinel leaving the Earth.

I mean, Lapis almost destroyed the town and killed everyone too, and she's still around.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Cute movie. Fun villain.
    Little disappointed it ended on such a 'back to the status quo' note (even given the shiny new status quo) with Spinel leaving the Earth.

I mean, Lapis almost destroyed the town and killed everyone too, and she's still around.

The clips I'm finding really, really don't make it look very good. It also looks pretty much like a generic episode with some specific moments of improved animation.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Cute movie. Fun villain.

The clips I'm finding really, really don't make it look very good. It also looks pretty much like a generic episode with some specific moments of improved animation.

Ah, I think it's pretty decent, more on the good side than bad. Plenty of cute moments, some exploration of character's backstories that we didn't see in the series. A couple of really heart-string tugging moments. Lotta songs. If you enjoyed the show over all, it's probably worth the hour and twenty minutes.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Cute movie. Fun villain.

Ah, I think it's pretty decent, more on the good side than bad. Plenty of cute moments, some exploration of character's backstories that we didn't see in the series. A couple of really heart-string tugging moments. Lotta songs. If you enjoyed the show over all, it's probably worth the hour and twenty minutes.

The concept is okay, but the execution has the same issues that the series has. Characterization and individual capabilities are kind of random, songs are basically people making the most awkward rhymes in a sing-song voice with a beat in the background, the story is the same story the whole show tells, and the ending is just... really messed up.

And then there's the usual "story progress because nobody knows how to finish a sentence" thing.

• Options
    As the show does a two year time skip for season 6 the movie is a very heartfelt look back and where everyone started and how they've grown. The villain is crazy well animated and a very fun character. Also she has the best song in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5iKdd_PBuA

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Watched the Steven Universe movie. I liked it and I liked several of the songs. It does however seem like a pilot movie for the shows new status quo. Like if you wanted somebody new to get into the show, having them watch the movie is a good first step. I feel like the next season will be Steven Universe 2.0 and the movie is the jumping on point.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    When does SU the show start getting good? I bailed halfway through the first season since it was extremely "fat kid loves food!"

• Options
    edited September 2019
    When does SU the show start getting good? I bailed halfway through the first season since it was extremely "fat kid loves food!"

I hate people saying this because its not true. There like 2 episodes focusing on food and he doesn't want either for himself. Cookie cat is him trying to use his powers and not understanding how and together breakfast is him trying to eat with his family

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Episode 9

Oh brilliant
  • Options

I hate people saying this because its not true. There like 2 episodes focusing on food and he doesn't want either for himself. Cookie cat is him trying to use his powers and not understanding how and together breakfast is him trying to eat with his family

He spent the entire episode wanting to eat that cookie cat.

The early episodes paint Steven as this doofus kid who needs to grow up which, I mean, hero's journey and all, but it was presented in kind of a hamhanded, almost generic way.

At any rate, I'll give episode nine a try, thanks. I know a lot of my favorite shows take a while to get going.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Episode 6 through 8 are good too, they introduce some important characters and weird concepts for Steven's powers. But episode 9, Tiger Millionaire, is honestly the best early thing. It's so very good.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

The early episodes paint Steven as this doofus kid who needs to grow up which, I mean, hero's journey and all, but it was presented in kind of a hamhanded, almost generic way.

At any rate, I'll give episode nine a try, thanks. I know a lot of my favorite shows take a while to get going.

I'll just say Steven really, really changes over the series. It's hard to think of season one Steven as the same character.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Well he did learn to be true to himself by watching his self die.

• Options

The trick with SU is that it never gets great, but there are a handful of good moments that are still interesting, and there are a couple genuinely good songs that you barely need context to enjoy. Even if you don't get into the series you should experience Stronger Than You.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I'll just say Steven really, really changes over the series. It's hard to think of season one Steven as the same character.

The one big early misstep is that Steven Universe took too long to show what it was going to be about, which led a lot of people to think it was going to be the wacky adventures of this goofy, sheltered kid bumbling around while the Gems have adventures. Episode 7 (the one with the bubble) is the first time the show clearly sets out what it's about - the growth and journey of a full-fledged hero.

• Options
    The trick with SU is that it never gets great...

Shots fired.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I thought Steven Universe was good from the beginning. Episode 2 goes right for the feels with its focus on Steven's dead mom and has some bold visual design with the all-red climax. Episode 6, Cat Fingers, has some top-grade nightmare fuel. Episode 7, Bubble Buddies, is a sweet character-bonding episode. So I can't fully endorse skipping ahead

• Options
    It's like most episodes are just adventure time-y fun and hijinx, and then every 4 episodes or so there's one dealing with expanding the plot and explaining who all these magical gem ladies are and moving the overall story forwards.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I followed SU up until around when they got to the gem home world stuff. I think the last episode I saw was the one where
    Lars "dies."
    I fell off of it after that partially due to CN's inability to have anything resembling a coherent broadcast schedule, but also because the show felt less "fun", for lack of a better word. The overarching plot took over more and more episodes, and I think I preferred the bumbling around on Earth adventures stuff.

The first half of the series was quite good, though.

Cururu on
  • Options
    Second batch of Disenchantment episodes look promising:

https://youtu.be/Q00bB9o7Eok

• Options
    I haven't seen much of O.K. K.O! but they put out a full length version of the theme song that's tempting me to watch more of it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RYUdU-R-Ros

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Whatevwr happened to Donald duck is up on prime now with yesterday's episode too. Thats very odd usually amazon doesn't have weird glitches like that. Im likeing it so far

• Options
    I didn't know Ryoko of Tenchi Muyo was in Owl House.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    I didn't know Ryoko of Tenchi Muyo was in Owl House.

It has to be on purpose from the trialers she's acts so much like Ryoko it borders on plagiarism

This discussion has been closed.