As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Can't Stop Thinking About [Control]

EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes UpRegistered User regular
Ya'll, I just beat Control last night, and it's all I can think about

Let's talk about GOTY 2019 in this here thread

I want to hear all of your best janitor theories

I'll start

(ENDGAME SPOILERS)
The Janitor is Yggdrasil, and so is the oldest house

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    the sfx in this game should win awards

can't get enough of the sound when you use telekenesis

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about the telekensis is something I didn't think about until the loading screen told me

As soon as you see the targeting reticule lock on to an enemy, the object will hit them

This includes if you're picking up something behind them

So more than once I've flattened a guy with a forklift that he was standing just in front of and he didn't see it coming at all, and it's wonderful

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Ya'll, I just beat Control last night, and it's all I can think about

Let's talk about GOTY 2019 in this here thread

I want to hear all of your best janitor theories

I'll start

(ENDGAME SPOILERS)
    The Janitor is Yggdrasil, and so is the oldest house

The latter seems pretty strongly implied, but I think the janitor is separate
    Ahti is a Finnish mythological hero, and Ahto is a Finnish sea god. Could be either one. They seem to have left him deliberately mysterious here.

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about the telekensis is something I didn't think about until the loading screen told me

As soon as you see the targeting reticule lock on to an enemy, the object will hit them

This includes if you're picking up something behind them

So more than once I've flattened a guy with a forklift that he was standing just in front of and he didn't see it coming at all, and it's wonderful

Yeah, watching a streamer pull something through a guy gave me so much joy. This is a game I want to try but currently can not afford the price tag on it.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh good yes excellent, I'll cross post from G+T
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh I forgot to mention that I did finish the story last night and left some side quests to do in the post game
    because I want to run around in this business suit as motherfucking FBC director Jesse Faden and take out the extradimensional garbage

I think the plot ended a little abruptly? But I did appreciate that the final sequence was a running battle against regular enemies and not a big dumb arena boss fight

And I know there's DLC coming so I'm not too bothered by the abruptness, and I like just still being around and digging into the secrets here

Great game! I basically can't stop thinking about it! At all!

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I'm still very early in this but it's good so far!

My big concern at this point is that it's gonna end up being more style than substance but there's pleeeeenty of time for the game to put that concern at ease

My big concern at this point is that it's gonna end up being more style than substance but there's pleeeeenty of time for the game to put that concern at ease

I don't know if this will exactly allay your fears, but I'll say that the game kept going for longer than I thought it would

And I've still got stuff I want to get done even after beating it, so there's definitely stuff to it

I am obsessing over every little bit of minutia about this world

NSC power plant
    Northmoor, the director before Trench, IS the reactor. NSC stands for Northmoor Sarcophagus Container. I have not stopped thinking about this

Ordinary
    I need to and simultaneously very much do not want to see a full account of what went on during the AWE there and what the things on the other side of the slides were. I had the most intense feeling of dread and even a little nausea while I was reading all the files in that section

Connections to other Remedy games
    boy I guess I gotta fucking play Alan Wake huh?

NSC power plant
    Northmoor, the director before Trench, IS the reactor. NSC stands for Northmoor Sarcophagus Container. I have not stopped thinking about this

Ordinary
    I need to and simultaneously very much do not want to see a full account of what went on during the AWE there and what the things on the other side of the slides were. I had the most intense feeling of dread and even a little nausea while I was reading all the files in that section

NSC
    So I figured that out from scattered bits of lore, but is there a document or something that just says that?

Ordinary
    God, yeah. Like their friend who became a melting dog????

I know I'm missing at least one document from that are (since I've got accounts part 1, 3, and 4) but man, I don't know if I want that whole story

And on the last point, all I've got to say is same

NSC power plant

Ordinary

NSC
    So I figured that out from scattered bits of lore, but is there a document or something that just says that?

Ordinary
    God, yeah. Like their friend who became a melting dog????

I know I'm missing at least one document from that are (since I've got accounts part 1, 3, and 4) but man, I don't know if I want that whole story

And on the last point, all I've got to say is same

NSC
    the full acronym is spelled out on the reactor, you may have to levitate to a high spot to see it? I think it's also painted near some monitors that show a thermal image of a human form inside the structure

The rest I suspected from the documents and from guards saying that there's no recorded death date for Northmoor, and then I took to the internet to see if my conclusion was correct

Also adds another layer to Trench's message where he says that at the end of the day the director's job is to "keep the lights on"

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Control (2019)

6s8wUHY.jpg?1

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

I don't know if this will exactly allay your fears, but I'll say that the game kept going for longer than I thought it would

And I've still got stuff I want to get done even after beating it, so there's definitely stuff to it

I mean more narratively than mechanically

I'm a *little* worried right now that it's just kind of having fun with a relatively unique aesthetic and that the whole thing is just sorta skin deep. Which, even if that does end up being the case, it'll still be a fun time, I'm just hoping it eventually gets a little bit more going on then "hey wouldn't it be weird if the world was secretly weird?"

I'm a *little* worried right now that it's just kind of having fun with a relatively unique aesthetic and that the whole thing is just sorta skin deep. Which, even if that does end up being the case, it'll still be a fun time, I'm just hoping it eventually gets a little bit more going on then "hey wouldn't it be weird if the world was secretly weird?"

Ah got it

I'll say I can definitely see where it could have interesting things to say about like, reactions to trauma? But I don't know if I necessarily picked up on anything there

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The Clog is bad and I hate to look at it

6F32U1X.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Quick progression question. I'm on the 6th mission, and I haven't really been able to upgrade much in the weapon dept. I'll spoiler it just in case ...
    I've got the Spin, Shatter, and Pierce forms, and I only just now got enough resources to upgrade Grip only once. I have an option to upgrade Shatter, but not enough resources. I feel like I'm pretty far in the game, and it looks like each form can be upgraded to a third level. Am I going to be drowning in resources on the back end of this game? Or am I fucking something up?

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Quick progression question. I'm on the 6th mission, and I haven't really been able to upgrade much in the weapon dept. I'll spoiler it just in case ...
    I've got the Spin, Shatter, and Pierce forms, and I only just now got enough resources to upgrade Grip only once. I have an option to upgrade Shatter, but not enough resources. I feel like I'm pretty far in the game, and it looks like each form can be upgraded to a third level. Am I going to be drowning in resources on the back end of this game? Or am I fucking something up?

I was just there and by doing some side quests and the agency alerts and countermeasures I got some more resources. I have Spin at 3, most everything else at 2. Shatter, however, is still level 1 for me.

I wish Charge did more damage but it is really great for blowing up rooms and breaking walls.

I don't even have an option to craft Charge. I'm really fucking this up.

I never did craft Charge

I do want to blow up rooms, though

I did not care for Charge

also, some upgrade options or material types only pop up once you've progressed in the story, or maybe entered new areas for the first time or MAYBE encountered certain enemies for the first time

I can't pretend I did rigorous testing on this but there were definitely times where very suddenly it felt like "okay here are new things you can track and build" at once

I'll try going back to maintenance to see if there's more janitorial work or something.

Speaking of maintenance

(I'm going to say end of game, because that's when I found it, but I think it may just be after you get the big traversal power)
    If you stop by the furnace and look around the room, you'll find TVs that are showing like, a yule-log fire on loop

There are something like five or six hidden all throughout maintenance (but generally near the furnace room), and if you throw them all into the fire, you get a mod for Grip called "Eternal Fire," which is a mod that restores ammo on hit with 100% chance of doing so

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    My God, I love this game. Just my exact brand of weirdness. The Oldest House is on my list of Favorite Settings.

My love for this game is so great that I can very easily deal with all the technical hiccups on the base PS4 version. I just want more of it.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Well it's a Remedy game, so it's kind of a toss up

Personally I tend to think it's more style than substance, but I know people who will argue that and cite "Address Unknown" in Max Payne 2, and some of the narrative metaphors in Alan Wake

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I haven't played a game completely focused for six hours straight in a long time

I gave up a Friday night for this game!

It's a triple-A SCP game which is exactly I wanted

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Okay, so I moved the story forward a bit more, and my weapon options opened up a bit more. I still feel like I'm behind where I should be. I do have a couple of sidequests I can complete now that I've finished mission 6, so hopefully that opens it up even more.

There's a lot about this game that feels really antiquated

the loadout system, the weird seemingly randomized loot drops, the several several unique crafting materials, it all feels wholly unnecessary

like, the best thing you can say about it is you don't have to think about it and it doesn't get in the way, which means they could have just cut it

6F32U1X.png
    Yeah, if I had any say in its development, I'd have made forms unlock through story progression, and had them upgrade from use (kill enemies with Spin to level up Spin). And scale back the trash mods a bit.

A skill tree you put points into to unlock, separate points from your regular skill points that you earn, would have certainly been preferable to the mod system as it stands now

But leveling up via use doesn't work because some of the guns are extremely useful in specific situations, like Pierce for the annoying floating bosses or Shatter for close-quarters fights, so you might not use them a lot until you have to, in which case they're underpowered when you do need them

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Credits roll.

Goddamn, what a game. I liked that shit never stopped being weird, all the way through. Too many games blow their weirdness card early, or wait until the end to drop weirdness on you. Not Control. Control starts off with weirdness, escalates the weirdness throughout, and then ends with weirdness truly in its heart.

ygPIJ.gif
    Olivaw wrote: »
    A skill tree you put points into to unlock, separate points from your regular skill points that you earn, would have certainly been preferable to the mod system as it stands now

But leveling up via use doesn't work because some of the guns are extremely useful in specific situations, like Pierce for the annoying floating bosses or Shatter for close-quarters fights, so you might not use them a lot until you have to, in which case they're underpowered when you do need them

I think you could balance that by having the more practical guns require more uses for leveling.

Or they could have just simplified things by ditching "crafting" and having a universal currency system.

god I love The Remedy Players

Guy Who Was Alan Wake is so so good as Darling

6F32U1X.png
    edited September 2019
    Mr. G wrote: »
    god I love The Remedy Players

Guy Who Was Alan Wake is so so good as DarlingTrench

Alan Wake's voice actor played Darling. And he knocked it out of the park too.

The sheer amount of James McCaffrey monologue in this game though *chef kiss*

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    the only thing I don't love about the James McCaffrey stuff is they only have like two shots of him that they just run on a loop every time

6F32U1X.png
    the only thing I don't love about the James McCaffrey stuff is they only have like two shots of him that they just run on a loop every time

See but I love that

signature-deffo.jpg
    I can't tell how much exploring I should be doing, like I seem to be finding places that seem to be important but I don't know if the story would have eventually led me there

I guess I don't know how much of the side content is missable and not signposted for you

6F32U1X.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I can't tell how much exploring I should be doing, like I seem to be finding places that seem to be important but I don't know if the story would have eventually led me there

I guess I don't know how much of the side content is missable and not signposted for you

Yes, and no, and maybe?

A lot is optional, but anything critical will be covered in a mission.

So the platform elevator in Research...
    I explored the mold area before the doctor was even there. Couldn't get into the Pit, but could go around the edges and find the the control point. When I went back, Jesse still fired of her dialog about 'being people' or whatever, but o had already killed them.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So been loving the game in general, but after a shit run at the first boss and dying, waiting to load, etc... a few times I was pissed, so I bit the bullet and used cheat engine for invincibility. I'm enjoying the game much more now.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So been loving the game in general, but after a shit run at the first boss and dying, waiting to load, etc... a few times I was pissed, so I bit the bullet and used cheat engine for invincibility. I'm enjoying the game much more now.

The respawn with no checkpoints during long fights is buuuullshit, but I do love the initial feeling of "o shit this boss is legit" when I die

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin