As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I now have 2 realtors confused by the lack of offers on my house.

We've had 1 offer 15k under asking...and we're 40k under area comps.

I'm thinking timing on the news making everyone worried about a recession kicked me in the ass.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I now have 2 realtors confused by the lack of offers on my house.

We've had 1 offer 15k under asking...and we're 40k under area comps.

I'm thinking timing on the news making everyone worried about a recession kicked me in the ass.

My purely anecdotal observations bear that out. I'm seeing a lot more houses on the market and they are staying there for longer. I definitely think the housing bubble in due for some deflation, but I sure hope we're not in for a bust.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Enjoy this monstrosity
    z8sp6d9dal67.jpg

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    But is it heated

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    But is it heated

No, but there is a built in bidet.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Enjoy this monstrosity

No.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd argue 3 adults sharing a single bathroom is untenable.

2 adults and a child is not.

2 adults is not.

8 people coming over for game night or a small party, also not.

Y'all ever had the squirts and your roommate was taking a shower?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Flooring updates!
    xx84xkw4yjmf.jpg
    7u6t5ms11upa.jpg

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Looks good!

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Water Heater is leaking.

Good news: I'm pretty sure it's the water heater and not water seeping in through the foundation as it dried up as soon as I drained the water heater. Also good - floor drain works well so nothing got wet.

Bad news: Cold showers until we get it fixed?

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    4 days until closing!

3 hours to go

*stomach does backflips*

10 days here - Appraisal cleared this past Friday (at almost 10K higher than what we paid, but my brain has trouble accepting equity as anything real, and I think the appraiser glossed over some things that would have lowered that number), so we’re almost in the clear, barring some last minute bank weirdness.

Best of luck!

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Fun times with plumbing. The reverse osmosis water filter system that was already installed when we bought the house decided to continually attempt to fill it's storage tank after it was already full. I figured it was a problem with the auto-shutoff valve diaphragm, so I ordered a new diaphragm, installed it and that seemed to do the trick. Then the manifold started leaking the next day. Took it apart again and found a crack in the shutoff valve, which I'm assuming I did with my gorilla strength putting it back together and trying to keep it nice and tight.

So, I scrapped the whole thing (except the storage tank which seemed to still be in good shape). Installed a new reverse osmosis filtration system, now with 2 tanks. Unfortunately for me, upon pressure testing the system I had a few dribbles of water come out of the fitting on the new tank. I reached in to hand tighten it a smidge when POP the damn pipe shot out of the fitting, the pressurized tank propelled itself out of the cabinet and hosed down my kitchen, while the now free pipe sprayed me in the face while I fumbled around for the shutoff valve.

After I got everything under control (and the kitchen dried out) I went back at it with some teflon tape on the fitting threads. Not sure if that would make much difference for a compression fitting but I figure the extra thickness should make the compression nut press a bit harder. Seems to be holding now and no dribbles. Crossing my fingers it doesn't fail spectacularly in the middle of the night or while I'm at work or something. I hate plumbing.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Still no offers on the house.

Even though its a recent remodel with a new roof and floors people are telling us it's not move in ready because of only having 1 bathroom.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    bowen wrote: »

2 adults is not.

When we had our first kid, we had one bathroom. We added a second half bath when the second kid was born, but when we went from the old two bedroom to the new three bedroom place, we only had one bathroom. This seemed a fine idea for almost a full year after the move.

This approximate scene has unfolded twice in the last month:

"You'll have to wait, I'm making Sam sit on the potty."
    "Ok, you give him, what, fifteen minute?"
    "Well, yeah, but I put Tony on right after. He's a bit young but he likes to do what his big brother's doing so I hope he'll train earlier."
    "So half hour."
    "I've really got to go, I've been holding it since I started this."
    "You know what, I'm going to the store."
    "Wait, you forgot your wallet!"
    "I'M NOT BUYING ANYTHING."

Four bathrooms is just some opulent decadence but holy shit I didn't realize how nice having a second was until it was gone and I'm driving to the fucking mall to take a piss.

Hevach on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah once the 4th human being enters the picture it starts to become difficult to do. Not impossible but single bathrooms are a relic of when a house was built and there was an outhouse outside and they converted a closet/pantry to a bathroom.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

2 adults is not.

When we had our first kid, we had one bathroom. We added a second half bath when the second kid was born, but when we went from the old two bedroom to the new three bedroom place, we only had one bathroom. This seemed a fine idea for almost a full year after the move.

"Well, yeah, but I put Tony on right after. He's a bit young but he likes to do what his big brother's doing so I hope he'll train earlier."
    "So half hour."

Four bathrooms is just some opulent decadence but holy shit I didn't realize how nice having a second was until it was gone and I'm driving to the fucking mall to take a piss.

You're right, 100% decadent. Also 100% awesome. The biggest challenge is testing out each toilet to determine your favorite.

schuss wrote: »

2 adults is not.

"So half hour."

You're right, 100% decadent. Also 100% awesome. The biggest challenge is testing out each toilet to determine your favorite having to clean more toilets every week.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

2 adults is not.

"So half hour."

You're right, 100% decadent. Also 100% awesome. The biggest challenge is testing out each toilet to determine your favorite having to clean more toilets every week.

Pffft, more toilets means you clean them less often.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    It's the same amount of poop going in four as it would with one, but with one you have to account for all the blood from fistfights over fair access that you wash down it.

Shadowfire wrote: »

2 adults is not.

"So half hour."

But you only have to clean them 1/n times as much

What? Ew no wtf.

I can’t imagine not cleaning my toilet plate off after dinner

Fun times with plumbing. The reverse osmosis water filter system that was already installed when we bought the house decided to continually attempt to fill it's storage tank after it was already full. I figured it was a problem with the auto-shutoff valve diaphragm, so I ordered a new diaphragm, installed it and that seemed to do the trick. Then the manifold started leaking the next day. Took it apart again and found a crack in the shutoff valve, which I'm assuming I did with my gorilla strength putting it back together and trying to keep it nice and tight.

So, I scrapped the whole thing (except the storage tank which seemed to still be in good shape). Installed a new reverse osmosis filtration system, now with 2 tanks. Unfortunately for me, upon pressure testing the system I had a few dribbles of water come out of the fitting on the new tank. I reached in to hand tighten it a smidge when POP the damn pipe shot out of the fitting, the pressurized tank propelled itself out of the cabinet and hosed down my kitchen, while the now free pipe sprayed me in the face while I fumbled around for the shutoff valve.

After I got everything under control (and the kitchen dried out) I went back at it with some teflon tape on the fitting threads. Not sure if that would make much difference for a compression fitting but I figure the extra thickness should make the compression nut press a bit harder. Seems to be holding now and no dribbles. Crossing my fingers it doesn't fail spectacularly in the middle of the night or while I'm at work or something. I hate plumbing.

I'm guessing it's all plastic fittings? That shit can be horrible about cross threading and not holding together.

Contrary to popular belief, Teflon tape is not a sealant, but rather a thread lubricant. That being said, I think you made the right move. If you're still a little nervous, pay a plumber for 1-2 hrs and have them come take a look. The peace of mind will be worth the price.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

I'm guessing it's all plastic fittings? That shit can be horrible about cross threading and not holding together.

Contrary to popular belief, Teflon tape is not a sealant, but rather a thread lubricant. That being said, I think you made the right move. If you're still a little nervous, pay a plumber for 1-2 hrs and have them come take a look. The peace of mind will be worth the price.

Yessir, it is just about all plastic. It's gone almost 24 hours without any leaks now, gonna be watching it like a hawk for the next several days but hopefully it's good now. If it starts leaking again I will probably shut off the water and make an appointment with a plumber. Not worth risking a flood.

I did not know that about Teflon tape! I always thought it was meant to be a seal, but it makes sense now that I think about it. Neat!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Yessir, it is just about all plastic. It's gone almost 24 hours without any leaks now, gonna be watching it like a hawk for the next several days but hopefully it's good now. If it starts leaking again I will probably shut off the water and make an appointment with a plumber. Not worth risking a flood.

I did not know that about Teflon tape! I always thought it was meant to be a seal, but it makes sense now that I think about it. Neat!

Yeah it's to stop the brass fittings traditionally used in plumbing from galling together and chewing their threads up. It's just a handy side-effect that the tape also helps seal the threads by getting mashed into any "looseness" of the thread fit as the fittings are tightened.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I'm surprised that the reverse osmosis system was threaded, to be honest. Pretty sure the only threaded line in mine is the main supply line coming to the system from the water line, and everything else is entirely plastic sharkbite push connectors.

Only the connections on the storage tanks are threaded, the rest is the push-to-connect sharkbite style stuff. Speaking of which, the sharkbite style tee fitting I used to join the two tanks has started dripping. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

2 adults is not.

"So half hour."

You're right, 100% decadent. Also 100% awesome. The biggest challenge is testing out each toilet to determine your favorite.

Living alone in a house with two full bathrooms is like having a mini vacation with every bowel movement.

5gsowHm.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I'm kind of over having 2 full and 1 half baths. Cleaning 2 is doable but I've got an entire bathroom that is just kind of festering because I never use it. I need to through it and do a super cleaning and drop a bleach tablet in the tank. Just going in to flush the toilet and run the sink one a month is not cutting it.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

2 adults is not.

I grew up in a house with 2 adults, 2 kids and an annual party with ~100 people and one bathroom. Two adults and child live there now actually, but the party is down to like 60. To this day when getting ready I'll ask my wife "Do you want to shower first or second" and she'll remind me we have 2 showers.

Alot of it is just what you're used to.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Galaxy-brained toilet thought

I always need to work close enough to home for my biggest GI failures

Only the connections on the storage tanks are threaded, the rest is the push-to-connect sharkbite style stuff. Speaking of which, the sharkbite style tee fitting I used to join the two tanks has started dripping. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Water, uh....finds a way.

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular

First thing to test with those is always to see if they are fully seated. So push the tube real hard into the fitting. hopefully you will feel it move a bit, which means it just wasn't quite seated.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    Damnit, I am defeated by my house

Specifically one of my bathroom faucets. There was a leak under the cold handle (underside of the sink), so I figured worn cartridge. Found replacements easy and cheap enough, so figured I’d replace the hot while I was at it.

Cold side fixed!

Now the hot side is leaking.

Fffuuuuuu

I think it's like headlights where if you fix one you should just fix both.

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Just the month of leaks I guess. I also discovered a leak under my kitchen sink at the bottom of the garbage disposal.

Apparently leaks out of the bottom are usually internal seals, which aren’t worth replacing. So off to the store to get myself a new disposal I guess.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    Just don't get a Parkman (please, someone get the joke)

edited September 2019
    Damnit, I am defeated by my house

Specifically one of my bathroom faucets. There was a leak under the cold handle (underside of the sink), so I figured worn cartridge. Found replacements easy and cheap enough, so figured I’d replace the hot while I was at it.

Cold side fixed!

Now the hot side is leaking.

Fffuuuuuu

Update, got a whole new faucet

The valve stems for the bad faucet handles are corroded/frozen in place though. And upside down in a tight space where I can’t get a lot of torque.

So I got some rust remover. Then it got in my eye. And all over the bottom of the sink, dripping down. The whole bottom floor smells like a garage now.

Still couldn’t get the valve stems. My next step was to remove the pedestal sink so I could flip it over and hopefully get at them from a position where I could torque the fuck out of them...or cut them off.

My wife stopped me, rightly, because based on my luck with this I’d probably shatter the sink...

Good luck to the plumber we’ll call to take a crack at this. Meanwhile I’ll have to point my own crack at my 2nd most favorite toilet in the house.

Captain Inertia on
    @Captain Inertia for those, you either need to remove the sink (like you said) or use a basin wrench

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Basin-Wrench-16PL0127/304217758

The one I have is a square-tubed "neck" instead of round, which allows me to use a crescent wrench to add more torque.

Good call just calling a guy, but keep a tool like this in mind for the future.

edited September 2019
    Yeah I got one of those.

The underside of the sink has weird bump outs that prevent me from using it. I have about a 1/4” diameter around the 1” nut that’s frozen on the valve stem, so pretty much just the “quick install tool” that comes with the faucet is the only thing I have access to that fits.

This bathroom has also previously been on fire and has a hole in the ceiling.

Love using it tho

Captain Inertia on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    This bathroom has also previously been on fire and has a hole in the ceiling.

Love using it tho

You may need to reevaluate your deuce dropping routine. It seems rather forceful.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.