As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm reinstalling this because I have a VR set on its way to me and I heard this is getting a tutorial worth a damn.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Man when this game gets its hooks in you, it gets them really deep. It's all I can think about while at work. Tonight I'm going to head back to the bubble and my shipyard though, and then think about what I want to do with my Anaconda. I'm not sure if I want it as a combat vessel considering how big it is, but mining also sounds challenging with a boat that size. So explorer? I've heard it's jump range is huge. But I've only just begun spending time in my Aspex. I need to build a good bounty hunter or combat zone fighter.

I think I'll kit out an FDL. I also want to grind up some ranks with the factions, and need to rep up my engineers too (And find all of them).

Unless you have a good reason to use a conda for exploring, I'd think twice. It is so unwieldy in supercruise, and the view isn't that great. I did not enjoy my trip to Colonia and back in it. For combat, I much prefer the FDL as well.. but that's just me.

I haven't played for months now, maybe time to dive in again and check things out after the september patch... not sure what to think about the carriers, they look cool but can't see what I'd use it for.

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    Just found this on Discord, so I'm shamelessly putting it here mainly so I'll be able to find it again.

How to adjust the sorting of your modules in shared storage in Outfitting:
    Fdev removed the in-game UI to adjust how the stored modules get sorted. Mine were unsorted. In the following file is the following value:
    C:\Users%username%\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Player\custom.misc

<OutfittingSortingPreference Value="0" />

Changing this from 0 to 3 sorts it by size presumably there are other values that sort in other fashions.

Note: After saving changes to the config file restarting the game is probably required.
    Value Effect
    <OutfittingSortingPreference Value="0" /> sort stored modules by cost in ascending order
    1 sort by cost descending
    2 sort by size ascending
    3 sort by size descending
    4 sort stored by size asc then by cost asc?
    5 sort stored by size asc then by cost desc?
    6 sort by similar items (weapons) (passenger cabins) (limpet controllers)
    7 sort by weight asc
    8 sort by weight desc
    9 sort by power draw asc
    10 sort by power draw desc
    11 sort by lexicographical / alphabetical order !
    12 sort by Reverse alphabetical order
    13 Game Crash

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Man when this game gets its hooks in you, it gets them really deep. It's all I can think about while at work. Tonight I'm going to head back to the bubble and my shipyard though, and then think about what I want to do with my Anaconda. I'm not sure if I want it as a combat vessel considering how big it is, but mining also sounds challenging with a boat that size. So explorer? I've heard it's jump range is huge. But I've only just begun spending time in my Aspex. I need to build a good bounty hunter or combat zone fighter.

I think I'll kit out an FDL. I also want to grind up some ranks with the factions, and need to rep up my engineers too (And find all of them).

Unless you have a good reason to use a conda for exploring, I'd think twice. It is so unwieldy in supercruise, and the view isn't that great. I did not enjoy my trip to Colonia and back in it. For combat, I much prefer the FDL as well.. but that's just me.

I haven't played for months now, maybe time to dive in again and check things out after the september patch... not sure what to think about the carriers, they look cool but can't see what I'd use it for.

Is that even a thing anymore? With the new scanner system? I didn't think you had to point the nose at the planet anymore.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Explorer condas are all about maximum redundancy of equipment for long hauls and having a fighter bay so that you can break up the monotony of deep space travel by racing though some canyons.

Edit:
    Also about having a bridge instead of a cockpit.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    How do you start that guardian module thing?

Also I found a system buying Void Opals for 1.6 Mil, and it's right beside a planet ring full of the things. Bought my first Anaconda!

I miss pirating around these hot spot systems. But...must resist.

Mmmm I love my solo/private sessions

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited August 2019
      I still wish that there was an incentive to play in open instead of it being the imbalanced proposition of taking on more risk in exchange for no reward whatsoever.

Even Grand Theft Auto online got that right, where you can get some significant bonuses for completing your big pay day missions in a populated session rather than safely doing them in a solo session.

General_Armchair on
      3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular

Is that even a thing anymore? With the new scanner system? I didn't think you had to point the nose at the planet anymore.

Ah, good point. Still, when I'm out exploring, I kinda want to feel like I'm "out there" myself seeing the sights. This may not be the same for everyone, if you only care about mapping/tagging it probably doesn't matter, but even bringing the ship around scooping lining up for the next jump got old for me after the thousand time or so in the supertanker like conda... I guess my point is that the Anaconda is very utilitarian, but not a ship i personally much enjoy flying on prolonged expeditions!

• Options
      edited August 2019
      There is some of an immersion factor as well. If I were flying to the other side of the galaxy, it would sit better with me to be in a larger vessel. Its size just lends itself better to an air of self sufficience that smaller ships can't match.

When returning from a surface mission, driving up to a conda just feels like you're returning to a very sturdy shelter that can weather any storm.

General_Armchair on
      3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
      Cantido wrote: »
      I'm reinstalling this because I have a VR set on its way to me and I heard this is getting a tutorial worth a damn.

The sitdown VR experience combined with a capable HOTAS is, in my opinion, one of the best home VR experiences bar none (a combination of Frontier's implementation and the fact that it does good work to obscure the most obvious flaws in VR in general). Even the fact that it's generally a dark experience works in its favor.

Amazing experience. Not enough to convince me to get back into ED, but still amazing.

• Options
      SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
      There is some of an immersion factor as well. If I were flying to the other side of the galaxy, it would sit better with me to be in a larger vessel. Its size just lends itself better to an air of self sufficience that smaller ships can't match.

When returning from a surface mission, driving up to a conda just feels like you're returning to a very sturdy shelter that can weather any storm.

I get that argument, but the view from the Aspex is so good.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    • Options
      The view from my T10 is fantastic as I casually drive by at 35mph.

• Options
        TimFiji wrote: »

Also I found a system buying Void Opals for 1.6 Mil, and it's right beside a planet ring full of the things. Bought my first Anaconda!

Aw come on. A little friendly piracy is fun all around. I've been pirated during my stint as a miner as well.

• Options

Aw come on. A little friendly piracy is fun all around. I've been pirated during my stint as a miner as well.

No I get it. I used to like the excitement when I played EVE. Now I just wanna chill and do my thing.

• Options

No I get it. I used to like the excitement when I played EVE. Now I just wanna chill and do my thing.

That's fair.

The group I played with also didn't take much (hatch breaker and scoop while they left), or blow up people (at least on purpose - and we'd often dump some cargo for folks we did). It was more about the fun of it - at some point in Elite more credits just isn't necessary.

• Options
          It's not like you can't get blown up in a solo session too if you're careless (or unlucky).

• Options
          Synthesis wrote: »
          It's not like you can't get blown up in a solo session too if you're careless (or unlucky).

Well I will point out I had to leave and forgot to log out and I came back. My T10 was just sitting there getting shot at by NPCs. Still on shield but I got nervous!

• Options
            Synthesis wrote: »

Well I will point out I had to leave and forgot to log out and I came back. My T10 was just sitting there getting shot at by NPCs. Still on shield but I got nervous!

I don't know if I'd count that as careless, but maybe lucky.

As I noted above, I quit the game cold turkey after getting pulled out of supercruise by some POS AI heavy-fighter, who proceeded to ram my cockpit twice and instant kill me even as I was draining his shields. Some combination of careless and unlucky, I assume. At some point, of course, money no longer matters. But I was at the point where literally no experience in the game could match the overwhelming contempt I was feeling (it was a really boring period, aside from the constant interdiction attempts even in semi-policed space).

• Options
            There was a period of time where it was possible to encounter ai with impossibly engineered gear that would pretty much instagib you.

3DS Friend Code:
          • Options
            SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
            Didn’t they have plasma cannons that fired as fast as multicannons?

5gsowHm.png
          • Options
            3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
            Syngyne wrote: »

Sure did.

• Options
            TubeTube Registered User admin
            I booted this up, tried an assassination mission that wanted me to hack a panel that didn’t exist and might set it back down again

• Options
            DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
            So yesterday I went on a trip. Found a thargoid site from my Codex and drove around, collected some meta-alloys which I needed to unlock one of the engineers. And thought I'd take an exploration detour on my way back. Headed galactic south to the witch head's nebula. Most of it was already mapped. Decided to continue east, but ran into a wall of permit blocked space. All starting with COL 120 or COL 70. So I'm guessing that's going to be Thargoid space in the near future.

Managed to work my way around and then went and found a Guardian Beacon.

A lot of this was new to me and I really enjoyed it. I'm in my semi-engineered Orca with a Guardian FSD booster and get around 45 LY per jump. Travelling in style in my space limo was really nice.

Sometimes you just have to stop and look at how pretty this game can be:
            ak0jb078cmyc.jpg

• Options
            Tube wrote: »
            I booted this up, tried an assassination mission that wanted me to hack a panel that didn’t exist and might set it back down again

I'm in the same spot. I want to play it. But I won't - not like this anyway.

• Options
            It's not really the game's fault I guess, I've just been away too long. I fully believe that engineers, exploration, missions and mining are all better than they've ever been, but I've also never known how to do them less. I was hoping the planetary part of that quest would be an awesome dogfight on the surface rather than a base assault. I also don't know how tracking a target in space works any more.

• Options
            Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
            Same, I logged in and was like: "Awesome, I'll go to a planet!" Took forever and a wiki to figure it out, then the base just started blasting my SRV before I could figure out what up was... I know ultimately it's my fault and I probably made a hundred mistakes that are more than laughable.

But it sure didn't make me want to figure things out when I then got interdicted leaving the planet and ultimately dusted as I fumbled through the controls again. I probably should have gone out in a shuttle or something and regained my footing but the idea of going back to square one just makes me want to play another game, unfortunately.

• Options
            I’ve loaded up a cutter with mining gear, just one of everything. I’ll take it to a res and see how I get on.

• Options
            Same, I logged in and was like: "Awesome, I'll go to a planet!" Took forever and a wiki to figure it out, then the base just started blasting my SRV before I could figure out what up was... I know ultimately it's my fault and I probably made a hundred mistakes that are more than laughable.

But it sure didn't make me want to figure things out when I then got interdicted leaving the planet and ultimately dusted as I fumbled through the controls again. I probably should have gone out in a shuttle or something and regained my footing but the idea of going back to square one just makes me want to play another game, unfortunately.

Base missions are just fubar atm. Essentially undoable solo unless you get lucky.

• Options
            Deep core mining is fun and also the cutter sucks at it man can this piece of shit do anything well

• Options
            The cutter probably isn't the best choice for mining unless you're solely interested in taking a screenshot of a prodigious payout. My corvette is outfitted for deep core mining, and it fares a bit better since it is both more agile and has those twin small mounts on the front for blasting the resource deposits.

Still, I think most people prefer faster and more agile craft for the task. Asps were really popular back when there was a resource duplication bug, and should still work fine despite that bug being patched. The kraits and the clipper should be good at finding motherlodes due to their raw speed, although the clipper might be awkward to maneuver for blasting the revealed deposits.

3DS Friend Code:
          • Options
            CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
            Switch out your Cutter for a Clipper, if you are mining. The agility boost will feel like a breath of fresh air.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
          • Options
            daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

3clipse wrote: »
            Syngyne wrote: »

Sure did.

I think the devs talked about this issue and it was technically the other way around. The code for weapon functionality was hitting some random chunk of memory when it determined the nature of the ammo being fired so you ended up with multicannons firing plasma accelerator or railgun rounds. It was a very interesting bug.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
          • Options
            Deep core mining is fun and also the cutter sucks at it man can this piece of shit do anything well

Haul cargo from A to B

• Options
            DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
            Apparently there's going to be a September update with a whole bunch of new tutorials for the new stuff as well as a bunch of other QoL updates. Good news for returning players.

I found the python to be a great mining ship. Agile enough to strafe around a rock to plant your charges, has enough hard points and other slots to hold everything you need to mine,in addition to about 130 tons of cargo space. Which admittedly isn't a whole bunch but I haven't found myself wanting to mine for longer than it takes to fill 130 tons. It also has space for a guardian FSD booster which is a huge help.

Also it's easy to avoid interdiction with, and tough/fast enough to out run many NPCs that would become aggressive to you. Also, Tube, if you haven't already found it out yourself, if you use a DSS scanner on planetary rings you'll be able to identify hotspots for things like low temperature diamonds, alexandrite and void opals. I'd recommend going there rather than to a res site.

• Options
            Unless it's open only power play, I'm not sure I'm interested. Or at least heavily weighted.

• Options
            A specialty Python might be on the cards once I've mined a little more to pay for it. The payout on these is really good! It feels like a good use of time, but not like a ridiculous exploit. I can get the Cutter to work decently for this now but the fact that it takes two years to stop is something of a problem in an asteroid field.

• Options
            I just run into things when I want to stop in my cutter.

3DS Friend Code:
          • Options
            ...that’s mostly what I’ve been doing.

• Options
            I run into planets to stop the Cutter quite frequently as well.

• Options
            Sometimes I remember to have shields equipped first. She's a tough bird.

3DS Friend Code: