As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW Classic] More full servers than Live.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Hit 29.5 last night and I still have a couple high level things to wrap in Duskshore so 30 is maybe half an hour's work away.

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    I’ve healed a few dungeons on my priest so far and it’s been pretty good, though I’m relearning about what to do/not do. Basically I'm using my current 3 highest ranks of Heal where appropriate, Renew on the tank (not pre-pull) and sometimes on DPS (too mana costly to spam), and Flash Heal for oh shit! situations. PW:S I only use if someone might die before I get a heal off. So my strategy has been, once someone gets around 60-70% HP, toss out the heal that will get them back to roughly 90-95% and add a Renew. If the tank is taking sustained damage, I just try to keep getting them back to the 90% range. Trying to practice not overhealing. Then basically just wanding in between, fishing for Spirit Tap procs. I get that I'm probably leaving some mp5 ticks on the table by not letting people's health drop a bit further, so I'll have to work on that, maybe get an mp5 addon. It would be just too much anxiety to let tanks drop to <30% before healing. Anyway, open to advice.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I think the thing I'm struggling with the most is figuring out where to go to level/profession level.

Wetlands has not been kind to me at all. It's also weird to have these huge swings from level 24 mobs to level 30 mobs.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Still having a bunch of fun leveling, I’m maybe twenty minutes away from 28. Planning on finish up some wetlands stuff and grabbing the quests/flight path to do BFD.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I think the thing I'm struggling with the most is figuring out where to go to level/profession level.

Wetlands has not been kind to me at all. It's also weird to have these huge swings from level 24 mobs to level 30 mobs.

Wetlands, Redridge, and Duskwood are all like this, they're all full of quests from level 20 to 30 and you hop back and forth a lot. Late Duskwood stuff even sends you to do quests in Wetlands then come back with stuff.

• Options
    Rius wrote: »

Wetlands, Redridge, and Duskwood are all like this, they're all full of quests from level 20 to 30 and you hop back and forth a lot. Late Duskwood stuff even sends you to do quests in Wetlands then come back with stuff.

Oh! I had not realized this! I didn't do any Duskwood quests (other than the mailman stuff), and little to no Redridge quests (some starting stuff and the mailman stuff), and have been doing all the Wetlands quests (except the one asking me to kill Gobbler because lol the zone's overrun). I'll turn around and go to Duskwood and do some quests there then.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    See, that's why I preferred my Horde leveling 15 years ago. Don't make me run around!

...granted I did grind a lot....

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    The stories in the Duskwood quests are so good, too.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    even though i strongly dislike the barrens, I can now see the subtle greatness that is the 1-30 Horde experience

both continents.

• Options
    edited September 2019

Oh! I had not realized this! I didn't do any Duskwood quests (other than the mailman stuff), and little to no Redridge quests (some starting stuff and the mailman stuff), and have been doing all the Wetlands quests (except the one asking me to kill Gobbler because lol the zone's overrun). I'll turn around and go to Duskwood and do some quests there then.

Generally speaking if you're getting mailman quests the game is trying to introduce you to new places to level up. Always check inside buildings and caves and shit to look for quest givers. Use your track humanoids =)

Rius on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    See, that's why I preferred my Horde leveling 15 years ago. Don't make me run around!

did you and I play the same pre-cata horde quests?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

having dealt with Ashenvale now.... the Barrens seems like paradise by comparison

Ashenvale makes you cross a barrens-sized hellscape to do ONE quest, then walk all the way back to turn it in.

Barrens at least has the courtesy to give you like... 4 or 5 or even 7 quests at a time

• Options

Generally speaking if you're getting mailman quests the game is trying to introduce you to new places to level up. Always check inside buildings and caves and shit to look for quest givers. Use your track humanoids =)

Oh, I'm not having trouble finding quests, I've got Questie. Mostly having trouble figuring out where I should go now.

I think part if it is that I did VC and stocks and BFD enough times that I ended up leveling past some of the quests. And I avoided Redridge when it was lagging like a motherfucker.

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

having dealt with Ashenvale now.... the Barrens seems like paradise by comparison

Ashenvale makes you cross a barrens-sized hellscape to do ONE quest, then walk all the way back to turn it in.

Barrens at least has the courtesy to give you like... 4 or 5 or even 7 quests at a time

With an alliance town smack dab in the middle of it, no less

• Options

Yeah. Barrens is huge, sure, but the quests could still be rolled up and grouped a bit. I haven't had that kind of efficiency until I hit Tanaris today.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Mercade wrote: »
    I’ve healed a few dungeons on my priest so far and it’s been pretty good, though I’m relearning about what to do/not do. Basically I'm using my current 3 highest ranks of Heal where appropriate, Renew on the tank (not pre-pull) and sometimes on DPS (too mana costly to spam), and Flash Heal for oh shit! situations. PW:S I only use if someone might die before I get a heal off. So my strategy has been, once someone gets around 60-70% HP, toss out the heal that will get them back to roughly 90-95% and add a Renew. If the tank is taking sustained damage, I just try to keep getting them back to the 90% range. Trying to practice not overhealing. Then basically just wanding in between, fishing for Spirit Tap procs. I get that I'm probably leaving some mp5 ticks on the table by not letting people's health drop a bit further, so I'll have to work on that, maybe get an mp5 addon. It would be just too much anxiety to let tanks drop to <30% before healing. Anyway, open to advice.

I would put more emphasis into shield use, if you really wanted to push yourself. Consider that shields are very easy to get 100% use out of, while getting your mana regen going at the same time.

Something like about 5 seconds before a pull, shield the tank and if they aren't at full hp renew as well. Depending on the damage they are taking, you may get your mana back before the shield even breaks. If not, let them take damage. Unless they are really getting ripped into, likely they will finish the fight around half or so. Then you repeat trying to time a shield + renew so you are regening as the pull starts. The renew will top them off while the shield eats damage, and this can basically stabalize you while using nearly no mana. Where if you cast every time they get to about half, you are constantly interrupting your mana regen.

This is a good baseline to have but you also need to account for tanks who just take way too much damage by overpulling or chain pulling.

• Options
    Isn't it a bad, bad idea to pre-shield and pre-HoT a tank before a pull? Shield prevents them from taking damage and generating rage, and the HoT gives you healer aggro immediately?

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    My efficiency went in the toilet when I hit duskwood. If I were to do it again, I’d be much better about it, but I ran across that zone so many times for a single turn-in...

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    The secret to questing in Duskwood is to know that the fastest way to get from town to the west side of the zone is to fly to Westfall and run east

• Options
    Isn't it a bad, bad idea to pre-shield and pre-HoT a tank before a pull? Shield prevents them from taking damage and generating rage, and the HoT gives you healer aggro immediately?

correct, for warriors, this is bad advice

do not PW:S a warrior ever unless they are literally about to die. even renew is pull-wrecking, especially if it's not a charge pull.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I did Ragefire Chasm and shielded the warrior every pull. He never complained about not getting rage and I only learned not to do it because I read a thing online.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

correct, for warriors, this is bad advice

do not PW:S a warrior ever unless they are literally about to die. even renew is pull-wrecking, especially if it's not a charge pull.

Please don't forget that bears have the same rage mechanic, so avoid shielding them too.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Can't remember if spiritual attunement was a thing in Vanilla or not, but if it is, it makes them a bad choice for PW:S once they have it. It essentially allows for mana bar to get some properties similar to a rage bar. In that any damage they take that is healed, will grant them mana. Pretty sure prot wasn't great in Vanilla era WoW, but I do believe they still had the AoE niche and consecrate isn't exactly cheap, even if it was down ranked. Also can't remember how that plays with various thorn damage abilities like the shield spike & holy shield. Pretty sure ret aura wasn't used because there were better options and it made little sense to build a team of paladins because you'd probably want the prot paladin paired up with different classes and if you did have another paladin in the same group as the prot, sanctity aura is probably a better source of damage to threat than ret aura.

• Options
    spiritual attunement is definitely not in vanilla

prot paladin so far (sub-60) is a lot better than I remember it, and I think that's mostly thanks to 15 years of accrued knowledge spreading about how they're really supposed to work and be geared. damage feedback abilities do work, but aren't bonused unless they are holy. that's probably one of their key weaknesses. its still not bad, paladins need everything they can get

prot paladin's biggest weakness is that it must spend a lot of mana to hold single target threat, and will go quickly oom if the threat limit is tested by the DPS

I think that they are.... not bad overall, because their AOE tank is actually pretty phenomenally better than warriors.... and a prot paladin MT + fury warrior offtank/assist would actually be very strong in a 5 man if you were trying to speed run it, as the warrior could hold threat on the assist target while the paladin held the rest comfortably with concecrate

• Options
    It's so ingrained in me to treat every pull of 3 mobs in an instance as two things to be CC'd. Once I hit 30 I can keep something frozen for a good chunk of time. Everyone knowing a lot more about the game and being more willing to chain pull big groups feels weird.

Cleave teams chaining whole instances is odd as shit to me. I don't hate on people for doing it, it's just one of those grognard complaints. Back in my day, etc.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Almost ready to take a shot a tanking Deadmines. Got to 17 last night, think I'm going to get to 18 or 19 and then get a group going.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm really torn on trying to do dungeons multiple times to try to get gear. I know gear can end up being pretty sparse but is it worth trying to farm for something?

I plan on getting the 2h talent for axes and maces for my shaman and deadmines has some solid options for both. I kind of want to do a few runs but I'm unsure.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    If you spec into holy as a priest you go spirit 100% because you get spellpower from it.

If you are leveling a priest you go spirit over ANYTHING because you should have spirit tap, even as a healer.

IMO int is pretty low priority because the only time it matters is any situation where you go from 100% to 0% mana. Again, while leveling that shouldn’t happen and especially as a priest you will almost assuredly be bouncing you mana between full and empty regardless of your max mana.

Max mana only really matters in pvp because many fights might come down to who is oom first.

I am being an sadist leveling one of my priests holy alone. I am just doing the quests healing others and helping out to try to break the various things I talked about earlier in Atiesh {people being silly geese, others trying to highjack it into turning it into their old realm and getting people to open up about making friends and such I felt it was a small part but it was needed}

• Options
    The secret to questing in Duskwood is to know that the fastest way to get from town to the west side of the zone is to fly to Westfall and run east
    I didn't figure this out until 3/4 through the zone. I was sad.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    If you aren't going enhance, you're better off with a one hander and shield.

• Options

Shield would prevent like 5-7 rage before spellpower bonuses max while leveling. I don't think thats going to kill a pull, especially since most of their rage will come from their damage done. If your warrior is struggling that bad on rage though, then sure.

I guess I could agree on the Renew but I used to pre hot all the time and never had an issue. But that can easily be replaced with a flash heal which has fairly similar efficiency.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    If you spec into holy as a priest you go spirit 100% because you get spellpower from it.

If you are leveling a priest you go spirit over ANYTHING because you should have spirit tap, even as a healer.

IMO int is pretty low priority because the only time it matters is any situation where you go from 100% to 0% mana. Again, while leveling that shouldn’t happen and especially as a priest you will almost assuredly be bouncing you mana between full and empty regardless of your max mana.

Max mana only really matters in pvp because many fights might come down to who is oom first.

I am being an sadist leveling one of my priests holy alone. I am just doing the quests healing others and helping out to try to break the various things I talked about earlier in Atiesh {people being silly geese, others trying to highjack it into turning it into their old realm and getting people to open up about making friends and such I felt it was a small part but it was needed}

If you spec into the smite / hooly fire talents and eventually spirit into spellpower / healing, holy is pretty decent for damage. You just Holy fire into sw:p into smite instead of mind blast into sw:p into mind flay before you start wanding.

• Options
    I find it amusing and intriguing how much discussion and debate still occurs over the mechanics and best practices 15 years after the game came out.

I think it says a lot.

• Options

If you spec into the smite / hooly fire talents and eventually spirit into spellpower / healing, holy is pretty decent for damage. You just Holy fire into sw:p into smite instead of mind blast into sw:p into mind flay before you start wanding.

I am leveling the Holy healing priest I did it once before in my 9 {only to 45} I can do it again I feel. When I got the wand it was not as rough just I did not do it before so early as I was set up before with all the gold and bags and such from the get go

• Options
    I find it amusing and intriguing how much discussion and debate still occurs over the mechanics and best practices 15 years after the game came out.

I think it says a lot.

Well I had to stop putting talents on my rogue in the dps stuff because stealth is soooo slow and they can see me so it's only 10 points

• Options
    I made a mistake with my Warlock's talents and need to re-spec, but, eh, not PvP'ng yet so meh.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

I think it says a lot.

Well I had to stop putting talents on my rogue in the dps stuff because stealth is soooo slow and they can see me so it's only 10 points

Yeah I don't bother to stealth 90% of the time. It definitely improves once you get rank 2 in stealth, but I mostly use it to pickpocket enemies in dungeons. Out in the world I get as close to a mob as I can before stealthing/pickpocketing/garroting.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I'm really torn on trying to do dungeons multiple times to try to get gear. I know gear can end up being pretty sparse but is it worth trying to farm for something?

I plan on getting the 2h talent for axes and maces for my shaman and deadmines has some solid options for both. I kind of want to do a few runs but I'm unsure.

If you're any kind of caster, kill Whitemane until you get her hat. It's so much better than anything you'll see forever, if I recall correctly.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    spiritual attunement is definitely not in vanilla

prot paladin so far (sub-60) is a lot better than I remember it, and I think that's mostly thanks to 15 years of accrued knowledge spreading about how they're really supposed to work and be geared. damage feedback abilities do work, but aren't bonused unless they are holy. that's probably one of their key weaknesses. its still not bad, paladins need everything they can get

prot paladin's biggest weakness is that it must spend a lot of mana to hold single target threat, and will go quickly oom if the threat limit is tested by the DPS

I think that they are.... not bad overall, because their AOE tank is actually pretty phenomenally better than warriors.... and a prot paladin MT + fury warrior offtank/assist would actually be very strong in a 5 man if you were trying to speed run it, as the warrior could hold threat on the assist target while the paladin held the rest comfortably with concecrate

Yeah, couldn't remember if it was on release or TBC thing. If I was running a disc priest, I'd still look into how PW:S works with their stuff. Don't want to accidently interfere with their ability to work.

Honestly, with the better knowledge base, prot is probably going to be a bit more successful in classic than vanilla. Probably can't compete with warrior as MT; especially, since they probably can't get crushing blows off the table. That said just having a better idea on how to gear them, what talents to take and how to make better use of their abilities will go a long way to making them work better. Hell, as bad as ret is, I expect it'll look a bit better in classic because people will have a better idea of how to get what they can out of it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

your first mistake was questing on kalimdor

EK, even for horde, is superior.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.