As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I feel like I've asked this before but maybe I've just thought it a bunch because search is failing me, but. Alpha Strike.

So there's Alpha Strike Commander's Edition, Alpha Strike Companion, and just Battletech Alpha Strike

What's the difference? Like, which one gives you how much extra rules and conversion?

I'm likely to start with Alpha Strike since I'm the only one of my friend group that's ever played BTech before, then slowly add in more and more TT rules until we find a good balancing point, because its likely we'll be using only a few mechs each, so we can definitely manage more granularity (like hit location and missile tables and such).

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    So do we think there's any chance they'll release the 3d printing templates for any of the 'mechs? Or is there a chance folks with 3d scanners may scan them in and upload them somewhere? Random thought.

I would highly doubt they would release the 3D models of the mechs they make since that is where they would make money. Would it be cool? Heck yeah.

Some people have made 3d models from the MWO mechs though that are really similar.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    So there's Alpha Strike Commander's Edition, Alpha Strike Companion, and just Battletech Alpha Strike

What's the difference? Like, which one gives you how much extra rules and conversion?

The Commander's Edition is basically the consolidated version of the Alpha Strike core book plus the Companion.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Alright, buckle up buckos, I'm about to go all Negative Nancy in here. Got some lukewarm takes I need to get out here, and not just because I've been day-drinking!
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Not sure how you folks feel about linking third party stores, but is this thing cute or what?!

Also linking the alternate history or far future texts...do people mostly just ignore the Dark Ages stuff that happened after the Jihad and stick with Battletech's version of Game of Thrones Season Four? Or is it because the Dark Age look and mechs are pretty far outside what the majority are into?

Re: The Mech Hangar: Eh, I've seen better. It is cute though. Never seen white-coated MDF before, so that's new.

Re: The Dark Age: Most casual Battletech fans probably ignore the Dark Ages because they never encountered it; it was never part of a popular digital game franchise. There's a significant playerbase of former Clix players (including myself) that actually like what Wizkids was trying to do there. The old-school Battletech players are very take it or leave it, because while it advanced the timeline it didn't do that through products introduced to Classic Battletech until much later.

That said, there is a contingent of the old-school and former Clix players that are hyped for the post-Dark-Age timeline to continue, because CGL's been talking about the Next Big Thing for going on three plus years. The ilClan book, which is the next timeline progression forward after Shattered Fortress (released last year), could move and shake things in possibly incredible ways. The problem is ilClan keeps getting delayed, and then the Kickstarter hit big....word is that ilClan won't make a street date until next year at this rate.

As an addendum: I'm one of those players waiting with baited breath for the ilClan book. I really like that the post-Dark-Age is actually moving and shaking, and can't wait for more.

So do we think there's any chance they'll release the 3d printing templates for any of the 'mechs? Or is there a chance folks with 3d scanners may scan them in and upload them somewhere? Random thought.

Exactly zero chance. There's no way CGL lets the digital artists (one of whom is the Art Director, Anthony Scroggins) go rogue and let the models go public. There might be knockoffs, but there's exactly no chance official .stl or even model files get released.

TheColonel wrote: »

The Commander's Edition is basically the consolidated version of the Alpha Strike core book plus the Companion.

Except AS:CE doesn't include everything from the AS+ASC. The Commander's Edition is the best single book to have for Alpha Strike play (the new Battlefield Support rules are fantastic to have), but it doesn't include rules for converting Battletech designs to Alpha Strike, nor does it include rules for calculating PV costs for bespoke or converted Battletech designs. AS:CE is basically missing a "TechManual" chunk of rules, that only reside in the Companion.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Alright, buckle up buckos, I'm about to go all Negative Nancy in here. Got some lukewarm takes I need to get out here, and not just because I've been day-drinking!
    Not sure how you folks feel about linking third party stores, but is this thing cute or what?!

Also linking the alternate history or far future texts...do people mostly just ignore the Dark Ages stuff that happened after the Jihad and stick with Battletech's version of Game of Thrones Season Four? Or is it because the Dark Age look and mechs are pretty far outside what the majority are into?

Re: The Mech Hangar: Eh, I've seen better. It is cute though. Never seen white-coated MDF before, so that's new.

Re: The Dark Age: Most casual Battletech fans probably ignore the Dark Ages because they never encountered it; it was never part of a popular digital game franchise. There's a significant playerbase of former Clix players (including myself) that actually like what Wizkids was trying to do there. The old-school Battletech players are very take it or leave it, because while it advanced the timeline it didn't do that through products introduced to Classic Battletech until much later.

That said, there is a contingent of the old-school and former Clix players that are hyped for the post-Dark-Age timeline to continue, because CGL's been talking about the Next Big Thing for going on three plus years. The ilClan book, which is the next timeline progression forward after Shattered Fortress (released last year), could move and shake things in possibly incredible ways. The problem is ilClan keeps getting delayed, and then the Kickstarter hit big....word is that ilClan won't make a street date until next year at this rate.

As an addendum: I'm one of those players waiting with baited breath for the ilClan book. I really like that the post-Dark-Age is actually moving and shaking, and can't wait for more.

Exactly zero chance. There's no way CGL lets the digital artists (one of whom is the Art Director, Anthony Scroggins) go rogue and let the models go public. There might be knockoffs, but there's exactly no chance official .stl or even model files get released.

TheColonel wrote: »

Except AS:CE doesn't include everything from the AS+ASC. The Commander's Edition is the best single book to have for Alpha Strike play (the new Battlefield Support rules are fantastic to have), but it doesn't include rules for converting Battletech designs to Alpha Strike, nor does it include rules for calculating PV costs for bespoke or converted Battletech designs. AS:CE is basically missing a "TechManual" chunk of rules, that only reside in the Companion.

To be fair, converting units suuuuucks. In the CE book they basically tell you to go out to the MUL website. The book does however have the rules to modify the point value of units based on skill level.

kx3klFE.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I’ll admit, not a big fan of the Dark Age era (at least, when first presented), and Catalyst’s attempt to bridge everything together with the Jihad certainly had its share of misfires (though it was going to be messy no matter what).

I am curious about the ilClan thing as well, especially since just about the only Clan I’d think would be “good” for it (Ghost Bears) seemed to be very happy where they settled.

(Jade Falcon is a bit too bloodthirsty at this point, and Wolves are in a really weird place with the whole “split in two” thing, none of the rest strike me as strong enough or ambitious enough).

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Dark Ages was fucking fantastic, and I will invoke some zellbrigen on anyone who says otherwise. It wasn't core battletech but it was fun and supported well for a bit and just neat as hell.

What is this I don't even.
    Nobody wrote: »
    (Jade Falcon is a bit too bloodthirsty at this point, and Wolves are in a really weird place with the whole “split in two” thing, none of the rest strike me as strong enough or ambitious enough).

Well, then you're in luck! The Crusader Wolves got kicked out of Clan Homeworld space, and ended up bartering with Wolf-In-Exile to reform into one Clan and found the Wolf Empire.

It's dead west of the remaining Republic circle in the center. Sucks to be the Lyran and League worlds that got sucked up in the process! Maybe? Could be worse!

I mean, look at this map! It's bonkers! Tell me that's not the kind of Inner Sphere you want, an Inner Sphere where shit's going down.

1511413173994.jpg

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Dark Ages was fucking fantastic, and I will invoke some zellbrigen on anyone who says otherwise. It wasn't core battletech but it was fun and supported well for a bit and just neat as hell.

*High Five*

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm mildly curious, what's Earth looking like in Battletech these days?

Is it a Coruscant-esque city planet populated by trillions?
    Has it been largely abandoned as humanity spread across the universe, left to return to a primal, natural state while the last vestiges of humanity rot?
    Bombed into pre-industry by decades of civil war?
    A holy site revered by all and maintained by a small, dedicated work force but mostly uninhabited?

What's going on back home?

Huh, I thought that while some of the Exile Wolves went with the Wolf Empire that a significant chunk remained separate

see317 wrote: »
    I'm mildly curious, what's Earth looking like in Battletech these days?

Is it a Coruscant-esque city planet populated by trillions?
    Has it been largely abandoned as humanity spread across the universe, left to return to a primal, natural state while the last vestiges of humanity rot?
    Bombed into pre-industry by decades of civil war?
    A holy site revered by all and maintained by a small, dedicated work force but mostly uninhabited?

What's going on back home?

Pre-Jihad it was pristine, held by Comstar as their home base with the population either indoctrinated or otherwise subservient.

During the Jihad it became a major warzone.

Post-Jihad it became the capital of the Republic of the Sphere and rebuilt.

Huh, I thought that while some of the Exile Wolves went with the Wolf Empire that a significant chunk remained separate

According to Sarna, Clan Wolf (Crusaders) moved from their occupation zone to their new digs between the Lyrans and Mariks, and then offered Clan WIE honorable Absorption. Some WIE joined up, some didn't, so it's not a clean reconstitution of the original Clan Wolf.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    There you guys go again, reminding me of why I love hearing/reading about the lore in the universe.

@Nips uhhhhh where was that better looking mech bay?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Well there's this one, but I wouldn't call it better looking. Much more practical.
    http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/mech-hangar-shop-matboard-285css061/

Then there's this one, I seem to run across it pretty regularly in my searches. Got to get it printed, though, which might be expensive.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2603143

There's another 3d modeled one I usually stumble across that similar, but it's currently eluding me.

This one's technically cheating, since it's a hangar and not a bay, but it's so sexy. Also Xmarx used to sell their stuff through IWM at cons, so there was a chance in my life this could have been an impulse buy. Alas.
    http://xmarx.com/mh.html

This one from Monday Knight is a decent middle of the road design, it looks good finished but thinking of all the cleanup work on the resin...*shudder*. MK also makes a 4-bay building as well.
    http://www.mondayknight.com/Terrain/Resin/6mmMKPImages/55008-SingleMechBay.jpg

Lastly (for now), there's this beauty that apparently never made it to production. IWM sold some at cons, but it never made it past quality control into distribution.
    Honestly...how? It's just a pile of girders! Not sure why the molds couldn't handle these parts. It's just as well, I could probably build this for less then $10 from stuff I find at the local model railroad shop.
    http://www.scrapyardarmory.com/2012/10/20/mech-repair-bay-by-iron-wind-metals/

That sent me on a bit of a quest of seeing what 6mm terrain is around, and I don't like that the answer is "plenty". I'll avoid that stuff for now...

For now.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    That sent me on a bit of a quest of seeing what 6mm terrain is around, and I don't like that the answer is "plenty". I'll avoid that stuff for now...

For now.

Hoo boy, have I fallen down some rabbit holes on my quest for 6 mm terrain.

It's...well, it's a lot. Micro armor enthusiasts spared no energy in building out their tabletop battlefields, and we Battletech players get to reap the rewards of their work! I just wish more of the hobby-shop style manufacturers were in the US or had US partners; the UK basically has that market cornered, and shipping any cool terrain things I find usually stinks.

And once you discover Z Scale train sets and the buildings they have available, ooh boy.

And once you discover Z Scale train sets and the buildings they have available, ooh boy.

I've researched Z-scale stuff, and I never seem to find much. If you've got some secret vendors, I'll happily take some links!

I've researched Z-scale stuff, and I never seem to find much. If you've got some secret vendors, I'll happily take some links!

My FIL has a full Z scale table with a ton of trains and other options, I’ll see if I can find out what he used, I know he did a bit of eBay.

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

https://www.walthers.com/

ive got a metric fuck ton of N scale stuff. Walthers never lets me down.

edit: but in this case i think they will. doesnt seem to be much of any Z stuff...

edit pard dux: https://www.walthers.com/products/layout/structures/industrial/scale/z-scale

edit part drei; them wacky germans edition: https://www.walthers.com/kibri/scale/z-scale

forgot about kibri

edit the 4th or how filters are lovely: https://www.walthers.com/products/layout/structures/scale/z-scale

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    Well, I can see why you folks recommended the 2nd Sword. What surprises me about these models is how good they look even if they're *only* one color.

https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/d2d6hr/box_set_mechs_as_the_2nd_sword_of_light_dcms/

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Yeah! A base coat, a wash, and some cherry-picked detailing goes a super-long way on these new miniatures.

edited September 2019
    Ladies, Gentlemen, and MechWarriors of the Oosik Irregulars!

I arrive this eve with good tidings! For lo, as prophesied in the Oosik Irregulars Articles of Incorporation that I have conveniently just recently recovered from our long-term record vaults, it is with great pleasure that I present to you and activate Foxtrot Lance, of the 2nd Company, of the Oosiks 1st Battalion!

Foxtrot Lance is a somewhat eclectic mix of ‘Mechs, meant to fill strategic and tactical gaps in the rest of the Oosik’s Order of Battle. Fox’s typical roles include environmental destruction, park-in-place ambushes from shutdown, infrastructure sapping, mobile close fire support, low-altitude combat drops, environmental realignment, high-altitude combat drops, and last-minute “supply” deliveries.

Despite its bold color choice of purple-on-red, the Oosik Tech Pool has done its best to 'camoflage' these 'Mechs for their variety of drop conditions. Consulting a rare and long out-of-print treatise on wartime camo schemes the Tech Pool. in agreement with the Lance's pilots, decided on a "Dazzle"-like configuration.

TczimmQh.jpg
    87lYSXdh.jpg

Despite their varied deployment and strategic usage, over the years Foxtrot Lance's loadout has coalesced toward a very "in your face" range of equipment. Medium Lasers (and their Pulse variants) and SRMs are most heavily deployed, with only @Kusmeroglu's Cataphract mounting any weapons that could be considered to have significant reach.

dUYXXGpl.jpg

Taking point for the lance is @Xandar in an Ember-pattern Firestarter. The Ember build, eschewing the typical Flamer loadout of the common Firestarter, instead mounts a quartet of lasers with a backup quartet of machine guns. For typical engagements where raw speed is exploitable, Xandar's Ember mounts as much advanced tech as possible; Endo-Steel structure, Ferro-Fibrous armor, and an XL engine are all leveraged to allow the 'Mech a maximum speed of 129.6 kph. This raw speed allows Xandar to position his 'Mech in the optimal "OpFor Hind End" position to leverage his 'Mech's quad Medium Pulse Lasers and array of Machine Guns. For engagements where the terrain or circumstances do not benefit from raw land speed, a complete refit of the 'Mech allows for an increase in jump jet capacity. Though this does necessitate downgrading the lasers to standard versions, the replacement of the engine and the complete removal and replacement of the armor (an immense amount of work, which the Tech Pool is very grateful for), it does incorporate an additional bit of trickery: a Remote Sensor dispenser. This allows Xandar's 'rough terrain' Ember to act as a forward scout without exposing the 'Mech to fire, and provides limited spotter capabilities for indirect fire where there might otherwise not be an option.

tOO8YXSl.jpg

Following up the scout 'Mech is a punchy, custom variant of the venerable Hunchback. A swayback by design, @Vanderbrent's Hunchie is equipped for maximum in-your-face-ness: an oversized engine to get it into the fight, propelling an armament of five Medium Lasers and a pair of SRM-6 racks with Artemis. Double Heat Sinks ensure that maximum alpha-strike potential is maintained throughout combat, coupled with maximum armor and the lack of a fragile XL engine gives this 'Mech an incredible amount of staying power for its class.

2i89J1yl.jpg

The first of the lance's two heavies, @Redspo0n's Archer is a "venerable" design that Oosiks HQ is pretty sure was a Star League original. We say "Was", because the 'Mech was clearly salvaged, scraped off the pavement of some backwater Periphery planet long forgotten. How Redspo0n even came into possession of it, we're not sure. As usual though, the crack team of Techs employed by the Oosiks worked magic; a workable loadout of four Medium Lasers and two Large Pulse Lasers are all fire-linked by a Targeting Computer. Due to the missile bay doors being welded shut (because the missile racks themselves had long since been blown out), the rather large computer is well protected. Sporting a king's ransom of Double Heatsinks, much like Vanderbrent's Hunchback this Archer is capable of withering sustained fire. As an added bit of protection, the chassis sports an ECM suite to keep hostile electronics at bay.

Ofia7Nkl.jpg

Anchoring the lance is the remaining Heavy, @Kusmeroglu's beloved Cataphract. As hinted at earlier, Kusmeroglu's chosen ride mounts the most sophisticated weapons available in any era: a pair of space shotguns LB 10-X Autocannons. Backed up with a pair of standard Large Lasers and with multiple ammo bins to allow for munitions tuning, the 'Mech is capable of reaching out to nearly double range than any other 'Mech in the lance. Though only of average speed for a 'Mech its size, a trio of Jump Jets allow it to stay mobile and flexible in its positioning on the battlefield.

This lance took me an intense amount of time to complete. While I'm not completely satisfied with how the dazzle camo came out, I'm happy with the results as a whole and I'm super glad that the first two Companies of 'Mechs are complete.

Onto 3rd Company!

And as a bonus, here's the current Family Photo!

OPIw86Lh.jpg

Nips on
    I have to say I love the story behind each mech and the builds you give them. Then on top of that the most awesome paint jobs ever! You sir are the most awesome Oosik and deserve more than just words.

Thank you for doing this.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I have to say I love the story behind each mech and the builds you give them. Then on top of that the most awesome paint jobs ever! You sir are the most awesome Oosik and deserve more than just words.

Thank you for doing this.

You're just buttering me up because you know your lance is next in line, ain'cha?

J/K! I'm just humbled you guys like my silly painting work.

Honestly the various paint jobs fits a Unit like the Oosiks. Where it is a bunch of misfits who joined together because they wanted to pilot mechs and have a great time together. The booze was just a bonus.

I forgot, how many other Lances are there? Also are you going to do the lone Iron Oosik?

oosik_betsuni.png
    My current plan is to round this out to a battalion, so three more lances. After that? Well, there's always auxiliaries, specialists, and command lances to add on. ;)

As for my friend and yours, @Erlkönig, I've assigned him to a lance in 3rd Company, and per his desires I'll be putting him in a Classic Marauder once one shows up on my doorstep from the Clan Invasion Kickstarter.

• Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    @Nips - "How Redspo0n even came into possession of it, we're not sure."

Actually, I stole it from my backwater hometown. It was the 'statue' in the center of town, commemorating some old fart who founded the place or some-such - How none of those bumpkins figured out it was a real functional Mech is beyond me, but after being stepped on and told to quit dreaming about more than dustfarming, I showed them what all my 'pointless studying' had been for.

Don't talk about it in the open though. I escaped that life and created a new one of lasers, booze, and adventure - and as far as anyone else knows, It's always been that way.

-=-
    Love them! Thanks for including me! I showed my wife, after explaining a little about Battletech, and she called me a dork =p, but also said your brief info block sounded like 'me'. So good.

Redspo0n on
    "Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
    @Nips what debased acts must I resort to for you eventual patronage? Fly more Oosik stuff on a helicopter? Permanent flesh-ink? Renounce my clanner-weebness?

I can't do that last one, unfortunately.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    @Nips what debased acts must I resort to for you eventual patronage? Fly more Oosik stuff on a helicopter? Permanent flesh-ink? Renounce my clanner-weebness?

No problem we'll just defeat you in combat. Bondsman Fuselage for Oosik Lance 9!

edited September 2019

Well, I'll have to boot my three IRL friends who are 2nd Line Oosiks down to Auxiliary status, freeing up space for you in the 1st Battalion roster. But then I need to find two more Oosiks worthy of the placement. I've got the master roster list and some performance records, so that might not be that hard.

Honestly, being brave enough to wear the Oosiks patch on your actual IRL military garb is enough reason to include you by my standards!

Also also, if you're truly dedicated to the Clanner Weeboo lifestyle, I could might maybe possibly shuffle things so that there's a Lance of Clanners (and associated Clan 'Mechs) anchoring the Battalion. I hear there should be a giant pile of shiny new plastic coming my way next year, and 3rd Company probably won't get started until then anyway.

What's your particular flavor of Clan 'Mech?

Nips on

Well, I'll have to boot my three IRL friends who are 2nd Line Oosiks down to Auxiliary status, freeing up space for you in the 1st Battalion roster. But then I need to find two more Oosiks worthy of the placement. I've got the master roster list and some performance records, so that might not be that hard.

Honestly, being brave enough to wear the Oosiks patch on your actual IRL military garb is enough reason to include you by my standards!

Also also, if you're truly dedicated to the Clanner Weeboo lifestyle, I could might maybe possibly shuffle things so that there's a Lance of Clanners (and associated Clan 'Mechs) anchoring the Battalion. I hear there should be a giant pile of shiny new plastic coming my way next year, and 3rd Company probably won't get started until then anyway.

If my memory serves me correct, it is the Shadow Cat.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited September 2019

I absolutely shouldn't take any precedence from IRL friends, ever. I will admit I haven't flown with the Oosik patch in a while, the velcro backing needs to be sewn up again. But it does still have a few months worth of ICBM convoys under its belt! My first love is absolutely the Shadow Cat, and I will always wait for her unless you have a Leopard Dropship laying around.
    As an aside, I saw a mech scale 3D printed Leopard in a battletech painting Facebook group and that shit was huge! It was impressive, but basically a block of plastic beautifully painted. I wish they had a version with an interior, with hexes.
    Betsuni wrote: »

If my memory serves me correct, it is the Shadow Cat.

You remembered! <3
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

No problem we'll just defeat you in combat. Bondsman Fuselage for Oosik Lance 9!

Shouldn't be too hard! My track record of being good at *games* as a general concept is pretty poor, but boy I do love 'em!

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    edited September 2019
    Well, it turns out the stars are aligning then! I wasn't completely sure where to put my Shadow Cat from the Kickstarter (it was floating toward a Jaguar star), but some slight-of-paperwork now has it waiting to be received for India Lance. Did you need the ergonomic cockpit package, or will a standard bucket seat work? We may have had to hose out the existing one due to autocannon damage.
    As an aside, I saw a mech scale 3D printed Leopard in a battletech painting Facebook group and that shit was huge! It was impressive, but basically a block of plastic beautifully painted. I wish they had a version with an interior, with hexes.

Yeah, woof. My (long-suffering) "Persian Leopard" dropship project is loosely based on the MWO style model, and that sucker's in the neighborhood of a foot long. You might be disappointed in the interior room, though; there's only enough space for probably about four hexes, which'd be the 'Mech bays themselves. Turns out, a dropship needs a bunch of stuff on the inside to make it work! This image is from a blog called "Leg Destroyed - Reverse Disabled" (lol!) where a guy was working on a physical model for an MWO-style Leopard, and I shamelessly stole the artwork to use as a guide for my own work.

Leopard_scale.jpg

Nips on
    I want my mechs to paint nooooow.

Man, I'm with you, but thinking about it gives me a minor aneurysm. So to get over it, I'm trying to make progress on my backlog.

Like this asshole. I like the concept of the Linebacker but maaaan I am ready for that new sculpt to replace it. I decided I hated the lower body of this sculpt, and decided to build it an entire undercarriage and reworked hips.

What a pain in the ass. I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out though.

DyVKsmZ.jpg

Wow, compared to the MWO model that looks... well let's just say it doesn't look threatening. Wonder how the Catalyst version will look.

I do love the Leopard model, and can't wait to see what you're doing. Meanwhile, I decided that instead of buying expensive metal bases I am going to try and 3D print my own and see if that works.

oosik_betsuni.png

Man, I'm with you, but thinking about it gives me a minor aneurysm. So to get over it, I'm trying to make progress on my backlog.

Like this asshole. I like the concept of the Linebacker but maaaan I am ready for that new sculpt to replace it. I decided I hated the lower body of this sculpt, and decided to build it an entire undercarriage and reworked hips.

What a pain in the ass. I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out though.

DyVKsmZ.jpg

I wish I still had it. That was the first mini I ever painted, some 20ish years ago.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, woof. My (long-suffering) "Persian Leopard" dropship project is loosely based on the MWO style model, and that sucker's in the neighborhood of a foot long. You might be disappointed in the interior room, though; there's only enough space for probably about four hexes, which'd be the 'Mech bays themselves. Turns out, a dropship needs a bunch of stuff on the inside to make it work! This image is from a blog called "Leg Destroyed - Reverse Disabled" (lol!) where a guy was working on a physical model for an MWO-style Leopard, and I shamelessly stole the artwork to use as a guide for my own work.
    Leopard_scale.jpg

I notice he's using the Correct Sexiest 'Mech for his modeling.

Elvenshae wrote: »
    Leopard_scale.jpg

I notice he's using the Correct Sexiest 'Mech for his modeling.

I don't see him using the Locust.

oosik_betsuni.png