As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'm pumped for the TMS#FE port. It's been on my wishlist of ports for awhile and I'm so glad it's finally coming.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Is Barry the absolutely American man going to be playable?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I think it's great the SNES games are finally there, and 20 at once too... but IMO they really should have been there at system launch couple of years ago. Unfortunately I'm at the point where 2D indie games (Nuclear Throne, Blazing Chrome, etc) are generally more interesting to me than 16bit SNES games I've played so many times before.

Stunt Race is cool... but if I recall correctly, its framerate is terrible. I'd love to see rebuilds of it and StarFox that had the same gameplay with 60 FPS. I'd also be impressed if they could get some of the obscure games I used to own (Unirally, TMNT IV) on the system... but I reckon that's a pipe dream.

EDIT: I just checked the lawsuit about Unirally/Uniracers and I'm clearly never seeing that outside of an emulator ever again.

Kriegaffe on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Great stuff today, but I think I'm most excited about the SNES games which is great since they are free.*

I think it might be a super metroid kind of weekend.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Currydex.

This is the weirdest timeline.

Is curry actually that big in the UK or is this another Japanese thing? Like the emphasis on spicy curry in Smash Bros, Disgaea 5, etc.

Curry is huge in both the UK and Japan, yes. Indian curry (what you get in the UK) is pretty different from Japanese curry, though both are good.

India didn't get independence from Britain until the ...1940s? My (Scottish) mother likes to remind Indian telephone scammers of this.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I'm pumped for the TMS#FE port. It's been on my wishlist of ports for awhile and I'm so glad it's finally coming.

As I said it would have been a shame to leave it on the WiiU

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I'm curious about the build quality of the SNES controllers, although I think the 8Bitdo stuff fits the bill just fine and the pro has better placement of ZR/ZL.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I got Tokyo Mirage Sessions on WiiU after really enjoying Persona 4. Booted it up once, found out it required the gamepad, and never played it again. I'm looking forward to playing the fixed version.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    skeldare wrote: »
    As I expected there wasn’t anything in the Direct I’m interested in. I guess I’ll just have to look forward to 2020. :/

And man, majorly glad I didn’t pay up front for that fighter’s pass. It pays to wait.

I’m curious what would’ve interested you, since it seems like you say this after almost every direct.

It’s not always easy to say. A lot of times I just see something I didn’t know I wanted. Lately a lot of Nintendo’s first party focus has been on franchises I personally don’t care about - Fire Emblem, Luigi’s Mansion, remakes of games I didn’t enjoy. Games that look well made but don’t strike my fancy. Depending on how reviews pan out I might try Luigi. I hated Dark Moon though so it’s very much a wait and see kind of thing.

I'm curious as well.
    To put it a different way: in previous Directs that did have things that interested you, what were those things?
    I’m in love with this cover art

i4qgevx2xvge.jpeg

I can't take it seriously because nobody is upside down in it for no reason! /s

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Speaking of TMS, the eShop is listing the release date as January 17, 2020 with a price of $59.99. Not too far away, but with the low sales of the original, I wonder why they didn't reduce the price to at least $40 to entice more buyers.

Edit: Also, Trials of Mana now has a trailer on the eShop which goes over a lot more than the Direct did and it's looking really good. Showing a release date of April 24, 2020.

Since these dates seem to be known, I wonder why they weren't stated in the direct itself instead of a vague 2020 date?

Nitsua on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I'm curious about the build quality of the SNES controllers, although I think the 8Bitdo stuff fits the bill just fine and the pro has better placement of ZR/ZL.

I’m assuming they are like the SNES classic controllers which were nigh identical to original SNES pads, so I’m sure they are great.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

Shit, I would totally buy DQIII on Switch. Bring that shit here.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I didn't realize that the SNES games are available tomorrow.

That's... wow.

I can finally play Breath of Fire. Always wanted it as a kid, but never got a chance to play it.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Speaking of TMS, the eShop is listing the release date as January 17, 2020 with a price of $59.99. Not too far away, but with the low sales of the original, I wonder why they didn't reduce the price to at least $40 to entice more buyers.

Edit: Also, Trials of Mana now has a trailer on the eShop which goes over a lot more than the Direct did and it's looking really good. Showing a release date of April 24, 2020.

Since these dates seem to be known, I wonder why they weren't stated in the direct itself instead of a vague 2020 date?

The Trials of Mana date was announced during the direct. And so was the TMS date.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »

That's... wow.

I can finally play Breath of Fire. Always wanted it as a kid, but never got a chance to play it.

I have heard it was kinda rudimentary at the time.

I played 2 on GBA and while the localization was awful, it was a fun game. And I know 3 is supposed to be awesome.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

That's... wow.

That’s Nintendo’s anniversary “please don’t unsubscribe to NSO” move.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I was holding off on subscribing to Nintendo Online, but being able to knock out a round of Overwatch on my work lunch break?

Holy shit yes.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Not a horrible Direct. There was a bunch in it I don't care about, but the things I do care about trump the stuff I don't.

TMS#FE is a game I only played an hour or so of before selling it since I didn't use the WiiU much and I was moving and needed to clear out some of my collection. I was hoping it would get ported but thought it was a super long shot. So very glad I was wrong. I get to play this and Persona 5 for the first time in the same year! Whoo!

Also I wanted Xenoblade X ported but getting a remaster of the first Xenoblade, one of my favorite RPGs of all time, was a super unexpected surprise. It looks so good and it will almost feel like I'm playing an entirely new game. :D

Luigi's Mansion 3 looks like you are playing a Saturday morning cartoon. It's crazy how good it looks.

Pokemon continues to looks great and I can't wait for it.

Also SNES games on the online! Yes please! They didn't up the price like many were predicting so that was a nice thing to see everyone get wrong.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I realized I wasn't sure what Tokyo Mirage Sessions actually was, so I looked up a trailer.

I still am not sure what Tokyo Mirage Sessions actually is, and am concerned I may be incapable of understanding.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    This Direct also taught us that Sakurai is going to kill himself. :?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Yeah Overwatch is cool. I have it on PS4, but I dropped PSPlus and thus haven't played it since. The kids are pretty keen on playing it (and we have the family account for Nintendo Online), so the Switch version is a good option.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I honestly didn't have high hopes for a SNES Online service. It feels like Nintendo has realized there's not much blood left to squeeze out of the NES rock, hence why they were willing to give almost their entire library away. SNES games though still have value, and I doubted they'd ever give away the likes of SMW, LTTP, and so on.

I'm also shocked and amazed that they managed to avoid one problem I was curious of. There's not as much crossover between the list and what's on the SNES Classic as I thought there'd be.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    WACriminal wrote: »
    I realized I wasn't sure what Tokyo Mirage Sessions actually was, so I looked up a trailer.

I still am not sure what Tokyo Mirage Sessions actually is, and am concerned I may be incapable of understanding.

J-pop JRPG where all of the fights are also concerts. Has the FE weapon triangle and combo attacks and big big flashy moves.

Cruor on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Kyle Katarn for Smash

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    SNES is awesome news, but please Nintendo start giving us GBA games next.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Almost forgot in all the direct news, but I can’t believe Little Town Hero comes out next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6YTpXqrbP4

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    l_g wrote: »
    As I expected there wasn’t anything in the Direct I’m interested in. I guess I’ll just have to look forward to 2020. :/

And man, majorly glad I didn’t pay up front for that fighter’s pass. It pays to wait.

I’m curious what would’ve interested you, since it seems like you say this after almost every direct.

It’s not always easy to say. A lot of times I just see something I didn’t know I wanted. Lately a lot of Nintendo’s first party focus has been on franchises I personally don’t care about - Fire Emblem, Luigi’s Mansion, remakes of games I didn’t enjoy. Games that look well made but don’t strike my fancy. Depending on how reviews pan out I might try Luigi. I hated Dark Moon though so it’s very much a wait and see kind of thing.

I'm curious as well.
    To put it a different way: in previous Directs that did have things that interested you, what were those things?

Honestly there hasn’t been a lot in quite some time. Nintendo’s third party support doesn’t thrill me because if I’m interested in those games I’ll be playing them on PS4 where they’ll look and run better. In a lot of cases I already picked up those games a long time ago (Dragon Quest, Doom, Diablo 3). Playing undocked isn’t appealing. That leaves Nintendo’s exclusives. Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Smash ended up being great. I was thrilled about the announcement of Animal Crossing and Prime 4 but the delays took a lot of wind out of those sails. Even if they’re games I loved I’m not interested in Wii U ports. Maybe Wii or GameCube ports for the benefit of HD upgrades. Not getting many of those though.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options

That's... wow.

As probably the biggest BoF fanboy on these forums it's...OK. Breath of Fire II feels like a much more fully fleshed-out story, though it had its own problems. The big ones are III and IV.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

In all seriousness: it's a JRPG about a group of young aspirants to the performing arts (not always idols/singers; there's a guy who wants to do tokusatsu (think Power Rangers) and an actress in the mix, and the female lead is more "I want to do everything!") who, by chance, are the only people who can effectively oppose a gang of demons who feed on human creativity. For those who are paying attention, these demons are actually the souls of various villains from the Fire Emblem series who apparently decided to migrate to Tokyo to take another shot at joining the living, and they have also bound various other characters from Fire Emblem to do their bidding. The heroes are capable of fusing with the spirits of the heroes from various Fire Emblems (after un-cursing them) and use their powers to fight the bad guys.

It's absolutely drenched in J-Pop aesthetics, and the gameplay is Shin Megami Tensei / Persona (a venerated JRPG series that goes back to the NES days) all the way through.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    The way to experience Deadly Premonition is the Giant Bomb endurance run: https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/endurance-run-deadly-premonition-part-vj-01/2970-15246

^ this seriously made me fall in love with the game. I highly recommend watching if you haven't seen it

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I really wish Metroid was bigger in Japan. Maybe we'd actually get games.

At least we know Metroid Prime 4 will be released... eventually.

maybe

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

it's a pop idol-themed JRPG in the style of Persona and Shin Megami Tensai, which also is mashed up with some inconsequential references to Fire Emblem for some inexplicable reason. I guess #brandsynergy or something.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

That's... wow.

As probably the biggest BoF fanboy on these forums it's...OK. Breath of Fire II feels like a much more fully fleshed-out story, though it had its own problems. The big ones are III and IV.

The only BoF I've ever played was Dragon Quarter. Never finished it (it didn't click), but I loved its aesthetic.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Is Barry the absolutely American man going to be playable?

How about can Barry go to prison in this version and Maiko is playable instead?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

That's... wow.

The only BoF I've ever played was Dragon Quarter. Never finished it (it didn't click), but I loved its aesthetic.

Dragon Quarter had the best music. Don't @ me on this!

• Options

That's... wow.

Yeah, the other games are absolutely nothing like Dragon Quarter whatsoever.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    l_g wrote: »

I'm curious as well.

Honestly there hasn’t been a lot in quite some time. Nintendo’s third party support doesn’t thrill me because if I’m interested in those games I’ll be playing them on PS4 where they’ll look and run better. In a lot of cases I already picked up those games a long time ago (Dragon Quest, Doom, Diablo 3). Playing undocked isn’t appealing. That leaves Nintendo’s exclusives. Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Smash ended up being great. I was thrilled about the announcement of Animal Crossing and Prime 4 but the delays took a lot of wind out of those sails. Even if they’re games I loved I’m not interested in Wii U ports. Maybe Wii or GameCube ports for the benefit of HD upgrades. Not getting many of those though.

I continue to be bewildered as to why the sales turd that was the WiiU got a pile of great ports and thus far the Switch has gotten... SNES games. Which was something we already had on two prior systems. There's a meager handful of Nintendo exclusives, and everything else is stuff I can play on two other systems I own while looking enormously better.

But hey, we're getting a Doom64 port! Exciting, right? Jedi Outcast! Yeah, I've been able to play that for almost twenty years without the Switch. Overwatch! Um, I've been playing that since it came out?

There's a bunch of titles which should've been an automatic part of the BC library (if Nintendo hadn't nuked it), a bunch of old titles I've had for ages, a bunch of titles that are incredibly non-news as far as ports go, and a sliver of new titles that might be interesting. And even the "new" old material isn't anything I actually got the Switch for, because it's dead easy to play the entire NES/SNES library on my phone with just a few downloads.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’m excited for Doom 64. It’s Doom 3 to the original games. And I never got to play it.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I’m excited for Doom 64. It’s Doom 3 to the original games. And I never got to play it.

Yep. That's a cool announcement. I don't think many realize it wasn't just Doom for 64 and instead a completely different game.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    jbypk4baftak.png

So, the Online Service VC games. I figured I might as well keep this up as I've been interested in it, and it's been fun discussing what might show up.

June post
    June addendum
    July post

The only valid first party Nintendo games missing from the NES lineup at this point:
    Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    Golf
    Pinball
    Urban Champion
    Nintendo World Championships 1990
    NES Play Action Football
    Kung Fu
    Mach Rider
    Yoshi's Cookie

Interestingly...Pinball just recently got an Arcade Archives release on the Switch shop, which is likely why we haven't gotten it for free!

Yoshi's Cookie...I wonder if there's some kind of licensing hangup there. It was developed by Tose but still firmly a Nintendo property. The SNES version was developed and published by Bullet-Proof Software (Henk Rogers, still closely associated with Nintendo). Super Tennis on SNES was also developed by Tose so I don't know what obstacles there might be to Yoshi's Cookie. Upcoming game in the series? Will be hyped up with release of the originals?

Third parties signed on so far, via NES releases:
    Tecmo, now Koei Tecmo
    Technōs, now Arc System Works
    Konami
    Hudson, now Konami
    Sunsoft
    Capcom
    HAL
    Jaleco
    Sammy

Third parties on SNES:
    Brawl Brothers/Super E.D.F. (Jaleco)
    Joe & Mac 2 (Data East)
    Demon's Crest/Breath of Fire/Super Ghouls'n Ghosts (Capcom)
    Super Puyo Puyo 2 (Compile/SNK?)
    Super Soccer (Human Entertainment, now bankrupt)

Now most of these third parties are represented by one single game, and it tends to be a second stringer. Ghosts n' Goblins but not Mega Man, Gradius but not Castlevania. And that pattern continues! Demon's Crest and Super GnG but no Mega Man X.

After suddenly making an appearance with City Connection, Jaleco returns for the SNES too. And oh joy it's Data East.

Puyo Puyo 2 has a complicated lineage it seems but might indicate SNK support? Or it might be the nothing that Compile is known for.

I have no idea of the situation with Human Entertainment, who currently owns Super Soccer and their other games. But they didn't release many notable things other than Clock Tower so they're not exactly a big "get."

A lot of the companies above released the bulk of their notable games in the NES era. Konami could give us Contra III: The Alien Wars or Sparkster. Unfortunately Zombies Ate My Neighbors has strong LucasArts ties. Sunsoft could give us Aero the Acro-Bat, but Sony owns Lemmings now.

The only whiff of Square we have is that they handled the NA localization and publishing for Breath of Fire, but it's still squarely (heh) a Capcom game. Don't hold out any hope for Dragon Quests or Final Fantasies...or Actraiser.

I don't know about others but I see the 16-bit era as the era of licensed games, moreso than before. So many classics are licensed and probably have significant roadblocks to appearing here: Jurassic Park, Super Star Wars, Goof Troop, Lion King, Aladdin, Ninja Turtles, various Mickey games, various comic games like Batman & Robin.

So sadly there is one particular masterpiece that we will probably never see on the SNES online library:
    Px3V9J5.png

:(

But what does Nintendo have to offer?

Games on the SNES Classic which are not here yet:
    Star Fox 2
    Donkey Kong Country
    Earthbound
    Super Mario RPG
    Kirby Super Star
    Super Punch Out!!

I would expect..most of these? I bet Star Fox 2 will be kept as a SNES Classic selling point as long as they're selling it. Super Mario RPG is probably firmly in Nintendo's grasp despite being developed by Square.

Other Nintendo-published SNES games...the list is pretty long but just to highlight some of what we're contending with:
    SimCity (possible licensing issues)
    Super Scope 6 (Super Scope required)
    Mario Paint (mouse required)
    Battle Clash (Super Scope required)
    NCAA Basketball (licensed with real world teams and logos)
    Vegas Stakes (mouse compatible, gambling)
    Yoshi's Safari (Super Scope required)

There are a number of games Nintendo had a hand in publishing, but only in one region, such as Lufia II and Secret of Evermore for PAL. I wouldn't expect those to have a particularly good chance. Harvest Moon was published in the EU by Nintendo and they seem to have a good relationship with Natsume, but who knows...

What on the list can we reasonably expect to see? Well...
    Kirby's Avalanche (a Puyo Puyo game)
    Wario's Woods
    Super Mario All-Stars
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!

Good games, but it's a bleaker situation than on the NES. They're really frontloading what they can offer us here.

Japan has some better possibilities like Fire Emblems...I wouldn't expect localizations of those now, especially since it took homebrew ROM hackers 20 years to just now finish with a decent translation of Thracia 776.

UncleSporky on