As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hotel Recommendations?

bicmanbicman Registered User new member
Without using price as a factor, which hotel would you recommend to stay at for PAX Unplugged? I think I read that the Marriott is connected to the convention center, and a lot of others seem to be right next to it. I'm not used to having so many nearby choices that all have availability. Not having to go outside is a big plus, but if there's a nearby hotel that's really cool for some reason, I want to consider it. Thanks.

Bonus question: Do tickets tend to sell out at any point? I'm still undecided as to if I'm going, but I wanted to make sure to get a room in case they start to fill up.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Yes, Marriott is connected, but there's 2 Hiltons (Home2 Suites + Garden Inn) that are closer (across the street vs. two blocks away).

According to this, Unplugged has not come close to selling out.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    We stayed in the Hampton Inn across Race Street from the Convention Center for the past couple years and we've been happy with it both times. We reserved the same place again this year, actually. It's nice, it's clean, the staff is friendly, and the breakfast isn't half bad. It's also right next to Nom Wah Philadelphia which we both really liked.

I don't recall seeing tickets sell out last year or the year before, so you probably have a while to keep thinking about it. But it's a pretty rad show.

mkf6ad9.png
  • Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    I wouldn't work hard to not go outside. If you plan to eat or drink at the con, you're probably going outside.

The good news is it's usually not "too" cold that time of year. A hoodie usually does the trick.

• Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    My crew and I just grab an AirBnB. Typically costs less than a hotel, and there are plenty in easy walking distance of the con. At this point we have a regular standing reservation at one, that I would consider the "Max Range" for comfort, which is over by Eastern State Penitentiary but I know whenever I pull up the map theres a plethora of them literally blocks from PAX. I've also found the AIRBnB folks in philly to be generally nice. Our guy now looks forward to when we leave, because I always leave him a PAX Schedule, and a trinket or two.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    We like the home2suites. It’s nice across the street and about $70 a night cheaper than Marriott and has free breakfast, which I don’t believe Marriott has.

• Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    Just FYI I'm going to drop my 4-person reservation for the Marriott as I ended up finding a place that better suits my needs. I'll be doing this at noon EST (ie in 50 minutes).

I don't know how quickly it will re-enter the system but hope one of you lovely folks ends up with it!

• Options
    Chaotic IgnoranceChaotic Ignorance Registered User regular
    The only thing I would caution against is staying north of Race St. The Hampton Inn is really nice and as mentioned above the breakfast is great, but having to walk through the homeless tunnel a couple times a day was really unfortunate. Nothing against the homeless, but the smells were not pleasant at all.

• Options
    wilk0076wilk0076 Registered User new member
    This will by my first Unplugged... Does everything happen at the Convention Center or are there activities at any of the hotels, for example the Downtown Marriott?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Everything officially part of the show happens at at the Convention Center.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    With that said there are community events in the areas nearby, and you can expect to find people playing games in local hotel lobbies into the wee hours every night, including the day before and the evening afterwards.

• Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Any links to events being planned nearby? I looked around and don't see a whole lot yet.

• Options
    robbeerobbee Registered User new member
    ya know if your in a group .... the City House Hostel Philadelphia is not very far... you can jump on the subway at 2nd street ($2.50), three stops your there.... plus it's cool neighborhood ... 17 North 2nd St
    Philadelphia, PA 19106 .... new member.... can't share links yet ... -:(