As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    From my experience this will affect people from Puerto rico. Although Google tells me they are automatically citizens now. I had a couple people in boot camp who were joining for their us citizenship.

Puerto Rico is part of the US and it's citizens are US citizens. For over 100 years. Sure you weren't thinking of somewhere else or immigrants to the island?

Hmmm I swear the ones I knew were from Puerto rico, though it was 20 years ago so my memory may be fuzzy. Maybe they weren't natural citizens of Puerto rico? Who's all eligible to join the us military service? I knew it blew my mind when I heard it took. 8 or so years of service, can't remember the number, and it wasn't just that. There were tests and shit just like if you were to do it without joining the military.

I probably have it all wrong, but knew a couple of people in my time of service who were serving to get American citizenship.

So who would this law apply to exactly? I'm so confused.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    From my experience this will affect people from Puerto rico. Although Google tells me they are automatically citizens now. I had a couple people in boot camp who were joining for their us citizenship.

Puerto Rico is part of the US and it's citizens are US citizens. For over 100 years. Sure you weren't thinking of somewhere else or immigrants to the island?

As far as I can tell it's the "Fuck McCain" rule in that it would have made him ineligible for the presidency, by making the children of servicepeople born abroad citizens, but not natural born citizens. It's probably to reduce the power of the "military aristocracy" in the Republican party, so military families can't enter politics with an eye to the highest level.

Hmm, just thought. This would also apply to Tammy Duckworth, maybe they are planning ahead for her inevitable presidential campaign.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

As far as I can tell it's the "Fuck McCain" rule in that it would have made him ineligible for the presidency, by making the children of servicepeople born abroad citizens, but not natural born citizens. It's probably to reduce the power of the "military aristocracy" in the Republican party, so military families can't enter politics with an eye to the highest level.

I'm ... incredibly unconvinced that any Republican administration is the least bit concerned about reducing the political influence of military families, much less doing so in that long-game a manner, especially when there's base-stirring wharrgarbl about fighting birthright citizenship as a whole to point at instead.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Hmm, just thought. This would also apply to Tammy Duckworth, maybe they are planning ahead for her inevitable presidential campaign.

My immediate thought is its more about dissuading females from the military, if they eventually want children in their career it means not being able to go overseas, limiting career opportunities. But this applies to spouses of male members, too so who knows. It's probably just complete shortsightedness as usual.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

I'm ... incredibly unconvinced that any Republican administration is the least bit concerned about reducing the political influence of military families, much less doing so in that long-game a manner, especially when there's base-stirring wharrgarbl about fighting birthright citizenship as a whole to point at instead.

I dunno. While Republicans do fetishize the military, and the military does tend to vote Republican, the percentage of Republican politicians with a service history, especially at the upper levels of power, is much less than I'd have expected.

I think the military is kinda like the poor white rural block. It's something that Republicans want support from, and will throw token bones too, but don't want in their club.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The GOP fetishizes the military but doesn't actually support it. And they hate immigration. Put the two together and it's the military that gets thrown under the bus.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The military has heavy hispanic representation. Taking an occamist approach, I suspect it's not any kind of 3D-future-presidential chess, so much as chipping away at the rights of citizens who are less likely to be white wherever they can. It has Miller's fingerprints all over it, and he's very happy to be incremental if it hurts the right people.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The military has heavy hispanic representation. Taking an occamist approach, I suspect it's not any kind of 3D-future-presidential chess, so much as chipping away at the rights of citizens who are less likely to be white wherever they can. It has Miller's fingerprints all over it, and he's very happy to be incremental if it hurts the right people.

Every step in this direction makes the next step easier and more acceptable to the general populace.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Newsweek: DHS bars congressional staffers from migrant detention centers after reports of rotten food, kid told to eat off floor

Everyone that worked in this Administration should just be put under the jail.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Newsweek: DHS bars congressional staffers from migrant detention centers after reports of rotten food, kid told to eat off floor

Not so fast

That might exactly what they want us to do.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Not so fast

"The Vaults were never meant to save anyone."

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

It would not apply to Duckworth, because nothing about it is retroactive. If she’s a natural born citizen today (which is to say her citizenship was granted at time of birth), this cannot change that.

As for impacting Latino soldiers, that may be a thing. It’s does seem like that would be one of the larger contingents of people who are naturalized citizens and deploy prior to meeting the residency requirements to pass that citizenship on. I’d say that’s at least as likely as this being nothing more than a good-faith attempt to disambiguate the process.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

It would not apply to Duckworth, because nothing about it is retroactive. If she’s a natural born citizen today (which is to say her citizenship was granted at time of birth), this cannot change that.

As for impacting Latino soldiers, that may be a thing. It’s does seem like that would be one of the larger contingents of people who are naturalized citizens and deploy prior to meeting the residency requirements to pass that citizenship on. I’d say that’s at least as likely as this being nothing more than a good-faith attempt to disambiguate the process.

At this point I'd say as likely as being an effort to find anything that is ambiguous in code and use it to make it as hard as possible to become a citizen.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

Not so fast

I don't get what this means. Are they looking to store immigrants in these underground facilities?

• Options
    Nobeard wrote: »

Not so fast

I don't get what this means. Are they looking to store immigrants in these underground facilities?

Sorry, just making a joke that our current leaders may already be planning to escape to an underground lair when all is said and done, because I had just given up trying to speculate on that tweet when I read Viskod's post.

I have no idea why DARPA is soliciting municipalities for use of their subterranean facilities on extremely short notice; but I'm going to trust it's not for something as low-tech as migrant detention.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It’s for the cerberus

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Oh, hey - looks like that new Fuck McCain rule is also likely to fuck another group: LGBTQ
    "We are very concerned about how this new policy may affect our LGBTQ service members looking to adopt or use surrogates, sperm or egg donors or IVF," said Peter Perkowski, legal and policy director at LGBTQ military family advocacy group Modern Military Association of America, who added that they are also concerned about the effects on green card holders.

The measure will also affect the born-abroad children of noncitizen service members who naturalized after they became parents.

“Our nation's modern military families deserve better than this, and the last thing they should have to worry about is going through extra hoops in order to ensure their children are U.S. citizens,” Perkowski said in a statement. “We continue to urge Congress to look into this new policy and hold this administration accountable."

[log cabin republican silence intensifies]

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Speaking of consequences and putting ICE and CBP under the jail, which candidates for president are explicitly going for blood if they win?

I don't just want the current abuses to stop, I want everyone who stepped over a line sniffed out and prosecuted.

I thought Warren was explicit along those lines, but I can't find a source.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    Oh, hey - looks like that new Fuck McCain rule is also likely to fuck another group: LGBTQ
    "We are very concerned about how this new policy may affect our LGBTQ service members looking to adopt or use surrogates, sperm or egg donors or IVF," said Peter Perkowski, legal and policy director at LGBTQ military family advocacy group Modern Military Association of America, who added that they are also concerned about the effects on green card holders.

The measure will also affect the born-abroad children of noncitizen service members who naturalized after they became parents.

“Our nation's modern military families deserve better than this, and the last thing they should have to worry about is going through extra hoops in order to ensure their children are U.S. citizens,” Perkowski said in a statement. “We continue to urge Congress to look into this new policy and hold this administration accountable."

The people in charge of this policy likely reacted with "Sweet, fringe benefit."

• Options
    madparrot wrote: »

The people in charge of this policy likely reacted with "Sweet, fringe benefit."

I'm reminded of the West Wing episode where Josh is meeting with Congressman Skinner.

I can understand not wanting to let your sexual orientation define you (Skinner's argument for why he's a Republican). But I just can't understand how people can remain part of a group that not just doesn't understand you, not just has no interest in pushing an LGBTQ agenda, but openly, actively, viscerally hates you, and thinks you're an abomination.

Just can't wrap my head around it.

• Options
    What precisely could a president do to root out white nationalism and blatant disregard for laws and decency in these federal agencies, sufficiently motivated?

Can they direct appropriate organizations to investigate? Do they have to act indirectly, by appointing heads for these agencies that will investigate internally and refer bad actors for prosecution?

What do the mechanisms actually look like?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    What precisely could a president do to root out white nationalism and blatant disregard for laws and decency in these federal agencies, sufficiently motivated?

Can they direct appropriate organizations to investigate? Do they have to act indirectly, by appointing heads for these agencies that will investigate internally and refer bad actors for prosecution?

What do the mechanisms actually look like?

This is literally why DoJ was created in the first place.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Literally literally

• Options
    Okay, I guess I was just confused by news of Trump wanting to sic the DoJ on his 'enemies', but not doing so.

I assumed there must be some structure in the middle that prevented him from just ordering it and having it happen.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    Okay, I guess I was just confused by news of Trump wanting to sic the DoJ on his 'enemies', but not doing so.

I assumed there must be some structure in the middle that prevented him from just ordering it and having it happen.

Arguably the reason he hasn't let them loose on his enemies, is the last vestiges of norms, and the last shreds of attempting to look impartial.

If the DOJ goes after his political (or personal) opponents, it concedes that the US government is no longer bound by law.

While I'm not sure how many DOJ employees, SCOTUS judges or Republicans would actually stand up and actively oppose that if it happened (rather than just wringing their hands), I'd put money down that a significant number, especially of the former, but also of the latter, are on the verge of shitting themselves that this is the next step.

• Options
    Well the DOJ was pretty quickly turned into a reactionary institution, so it’s just the irony of its founding vs present day that’s remarkable

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    The difference between trump punishing his enemies via the doj and the democrats punishing those who illegally detained and tortured children is that torturing children is against the law right now, and thus is a perfectly normal crime to punish someone for.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    In massive chutzpah news, Trump is using his emergency powers to take $3.6 billion from 127 military contruction projects to instead do some unauthorized wall construction, then asking Congress to authorize $3.6 billion in additional funding for the pilfered projects.

"Unless they... hate the troops?" - is how I expect that ask to be spun.
    The Pentagon said the projects weren’t being canceled, and wouldn’t even be delayed, so long as Congress agreed to “backfill” the funds and once again appropriate money for the projects. Democrats have balked at the suggestion, noting that they have already funded the projects in question. They say the action flies in the face of Congress’s constitutionally-mandated power of the purse.

https://wapo.st/34nMvQY

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The Embassy down here has declined to give any more clarity around the US Citizens children thing.

There's some ambiguity in whether it's just for service members/diplomatic corps, or whether it will effect ordinary people, you know, like me. One of the points that has been brought up through Democrats Abroad is that the language seems to imply that the child and citizen parent both need to reside within the US for 5 years before citizenship will be granted.

previously, it only had to be that the citizen parent had to have spent 5 years living in the US. And you would need documents to prove it. High school transcripts, utility bills, W2 forms for employment within the US. Now there's this ambiguity around whether that's enough, or if the kid also needs to live in the US for 5 years.

The embassy has provided no answers, only directed us towards the new forms. No guidance on how they need to be filled out, no support offered for assistance in getting through the paperwork. Nothing.

So that's fun.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    In massive chutzpah news, Trump is using his emergency powers to take $3.6 billion from 127 military contruction projects to instead do some unauthorized wall construction, then asking Congress to authorize $3.6 billion in additional funding for the pilfered projects.

"Unless they... hate the troops?" - is how I expect that ask to be spun.
    The Pentagon said the projects weren’t being canceled, and wouldn’t even be delayed, so long as Congress agreed to “backfill” the funds and once again appropriate money for the projects. Democrats have balked at the suggestion, noting that they have already funded the projects in question. They say the action flies in the face of Congress’s constitutionally-mandated power of the purse.

https://wapo.st/34nMvQY

Hahaha, What cheeky buggers. I bet the Pentagon delivered that message with a smile and a wink. Seriously, why even have a budget if they can decide to spend it on whatever they like?

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    The Embassy down here has declined to give any more clarity around the US Citizens children thing.

There's some ambiguity in whether it's just for service members/diplomatic corps, or whether it will effect ordinary people, you know, like me. One of the points that has been brought up through Democrats Abroad is that the language seems to imply that the child and citizen parent both need to reside within the US for 5 years before citizenship will be granted.

previously, it only had to be that the citizen parent had to have spent 5 years living in the US. And you would need documents to prove it. High school transcripts, utility bills, W2 forms for employment within the US. Now there's this ambiguity around whether that's enough, or if the kid also needs to live in the US for 5 years.

The embassy has provided no answers, only directed us towards the new forms. No guidance on how they need to be filled out, no support offered for assistance in getting through the paperwork. Nothing.

So that's fun.

That would impact me, too. Moved to Sweden at 27, expecting a child in February.

Doesn't seem to be anything to do about it (other than vote?). Citizenship doesn't feel worth the risk and cost of getting my wife to US soil to give birth.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »

So that's fun.

That would impact me, too. Moved to Sweden at 27, expecting a child in February.

Doesn't seem to be anything to do about it (other than vote?). Citizenship doesn't feel worth the risk and cost of getting my wife to US soil to give birth.

Have you joined your local Democrats Abroad chapter? Assuming that you're registered as a Democrat at least.

Anyways, yeah. Vote. File taxes. Vote more.

The best thing to do is vote and wait.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    The US Department of Health and Human Services' Office of the Inspector General has posted their report of their findings after inspecting 45 detention centers during the period of August and September 2018.

CNN has posted the 45 page document in its entirety here: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/04/politics/read-ig-report-mental-health-unaccompanied-minors/index.html

I started reading it here at work but I had to stop, because I'm crying.

It probably doesn't need to be said, but it's bad guys. It's really, really bad. Read at your own risk.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The US Department of Health and Human Services' Office of the Inspector General has posted their report of their findings after inspecting 45 detention centers during the period of August and September 2018.

CNN has posted the 45 page document in its entirety here: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/04/politics/read-ig-report-mental-health-unaccompanied-minors/index.html

I started reading it here at work but I had to stop, because I'm crying.

It probably doesn't need to be said, but it's bad guys. It's really, really bad. Read at your own risk.

And that's a year stale now.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, groups protesting said treatment are being monitored as extremists.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1VP2VY
    Schools for the children of U.S. military members from Kentucky to Germany to Japan will be affected. A daycare center at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland - the home of Air Force One - will also have its funds diverted, the Pentagon said.
    Literally taking money from children.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I mean if the fucking concentration camps aren’t stopping migrants ...

This is all for the election at this point. He needs a W to tout (though I’m not sure why he thinks he can’t just rely on the usual propaganda...)

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, it makes sense from a 'how to best spin this' perspective.

Take money from some of the worst possible places, then try to drop it in the lap of Congressional Democrats. It's pretty literally that Eric Andre 'why would X do this?' meme

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Because Trumpists always advance to "I did it and it was awesome," Steve King (R-IA) drank toilet water to say that people being forced to drink toilet water in concentration camps is perfectly fine and dandy. At least, he claimed to do it and claims there's a video but refuses to release it.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Drinking toilet water is too good for Steve King.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.