As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I kinda wish there was a death army not belonging to Nagash. It cool that the death faction gets some different subfractions, but all other faction are a mix of subfactions that have a lot of different agendas and loyalities. Death is just all Nagash.
    Well, yeah. It’s an exclusive club and he literally makes all the members.

I had a crazy idea though; a faction of undead but not part of the Death GA. specifically, mortal necromancers seeking immortality like the Katophranes but who haven’t quite ‘perfected’ their technique yet, resulting in tons of undead minions of various shapes and sizes. So zombies, Frankenstein’s Creature type stichlings, and so on all the way up to zombie giants and dragons. But no skeletons or ‘pure’ ghosts; these guys are after true life eternal, not interminable death, so they’re all about permanently binding souls to flesh.
    They’re explicitly anti-Death and terrified of Nagash but desperate and not entirely all there so they’re Destruction because they don’t care who dies to achieve their goals, as long as it’s not them.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Jus sayin', Settra coming in and bogarting a bunch of Nagash's power to form his own opposing army of the dead would have a lot of satisfying narrative symmetry!

• Options
    Oh yeah, that could work too, dude’s canny and tenacious, like a honey badger crossed with a crow.
    Say all this futzing about with the Necroquake and spoiling up all these armies has gotten Nagash loads of power but weakened his control and you’ve got your “in” right there.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I would certainly like to see elements of the Death faction splinter off from Nagash eventually, but I suppose much of the game narrative during this soul wars chapter is (obviously) centered around Nagash, so I could see him losing something of his power at the end of it, either weakened or outright killed so he has to rebuild himself again or something.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I kinda wish there was a death army not belonging to Nagash. It cool that the death faction gets some different subfractions, but all other faction are a mix of subfactions that have a lot of different agendas and loyalities. Death is just all Nagash.

I had a crazy idea though; a faction of undead but not part of the Death GA. specifically, mortal necromancers seeking immortality like the Katophranes but who haven’t quite ‘perfected’ their technique yet, resulting in tons of undead minions of various shapes and sizes. So zombies, Frankenstein’s Creature type stichlings, and so on all the way up to zombie giants and dragons. But no skeletons or ‘pure’ ghosts; these guys are after true life eternal, not interminable death, so they’re all about permanently binding souls to flesh.
    They’re explicitly anti-Death and terrified of Nagash but desperate and not entirely all there so they’re Destruction because they don’t care who dies to achieve their goals, as long as it’s not them.

I've had similar thoughts, I definitely want to see a death faction themed around reanimation. Preferably with an emphasis on arcane technology and alchemy as opposed to pure sorcery - lots of neckbolts and serums and stitched together nightmares.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I haven't even played my copy of warcry yet and seeing an expansion already is kinda overwhelming

I'm excited for it, because it means we'll have more options for minis to use. I have anywhere from 2 and 4 AOS armies depending on how you count them (a full army of BoK, another of SCE, a healthy amount of StD, and a handful of Skaven), and I can't actually use any of them in Warcry because I don't have any of the Stormcast Raptor dudes. I'm having a lot of fun with the starter box Warbands, but more options never hurt.

I can appreciate the need to keep things limited, at least at first, since it makes things much harder to balance if there are dozens of different factions from the get go (especially when they're printing points costs directly on the cards), but it would be nice to have a bunch of Bloodreavers running around, or some base Liberators or whatever. It's not hard to think of reasons why most of the AOS factions would be goofing around at the Allpoints.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Was that beastie they showed in the attached pic something new too?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Apparently they’re doing another one of those magazine series in the UK but for AoS this time.

https://www.warhammermortalrealms.com/

Not yet available nationwide but ‘soft launched’ in the North East? Found in some Tesco’s.

I need to get me at least two issue ones as £2.99 is an absolute steal for 10 chainrasps. They rrp for a ridiculous £25 usually!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Apparently they’re doing another one of those magazine series in the UK but for AoS this time.

https://www.warhammermortalrealms.com/

Not yet available nationwide but ‘soft launched’ in the North East? Found in some Tesco’s.

I need to get me at least two issue ones as £2.99 is an absolute steal for 10 chainrasps. They rrp for a ridiculous £25 usually!

Wasn't the stuff in issues 2 and 3 in the dreadfane game?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Wasn't the stuff in issues 2 and 3 in the dreadfane game?

The Sequitors in 1 and the Banshees in 2 are. Outside of the Chainrasps all of those are ETB kits that originated in Storm Strike (the $40 intro-est of the intro to AOS boxes).

Seems like they're getting a lot of mileage out of those models. This is good since they're easy to build and are nice looking sculpts, but it sucks because it's yet again GW giving people intro boxes that don't have full units inside of them.

• Options
    I didn't know what the Sequitors looked like from it As I see the rare pieces for sale are the undead and boards from it for $$$$.
    My brother does like the look of the new undead army he is not fond of the Mortarch though. He does hold out hope the satyr elves shown in the beastgrave game if they do come out as an army they play like the wood elves of old {the I refuse to take dryads and other tree things relying on war dancers and glade guard to do my business}

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Was that beastie they showed in the attached pic something new too?

Its a chimera

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I need a ton of chainwrasp if I'm gonna keep my nighthaunt force, that's a really good deal for them... Is this out in the US in stores? I know of 1-2 hobby shops that just carry small amounts of warhammer stuff that usually has this kind of thing unpicked.

edit: Whoops read the stuff about it being in northeast. I'm mideast so doubtful but I'll dig around.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    UK only seems like

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Don't some flesh eater counts already spur nagash and ignore/despise him?

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    They’re devoted followers of An’Rice.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    UK only seems like

Not even all of the UK. They’re testing the waters in ‘select areas’ or something.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

REZX9oOm.png
    One day....some day...

The new bone things are totally squeezing necrons+tyranids into AoS.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Looking forward to running a mixed Death army called Bone Thugs n Harmony

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Looking forward to running a mixed Death army called Bone Thugs n Harmony

If we ever play in a doubles tournament I'll have to bring my BoK army Khul and the Gang.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    How much does it matter which weapons I put on the Corvus Cabal models? I plan on starting the painting tomorrow but I'm not sure which weapons to use.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I played my first game with the Stormcast Eternals army I've been slowly building up tonight, against my friend's Deepkin. It's pretty insane how easy it is to get a Stormcast army going. I already had a handful of models from old starter sets (Storm of Sigmar and Storm Strike), plus a couple units from Underworlds warbands. All I did to turn it into an army was pick up the Thunderstrike Brotherhood start collecting box and grab a SCE half of Soul Wars off of Ebay for dirt cheap. My out of pocket cost barely around $200 and I have 2400 points of models.

Vandus Hammerhand is a goddamn monster. He was a massacre machine who refused to die (right up until the point where he died). We would have tied on points but my opponent was able to get a run plus lucky charge off on his Eidolan and delete the Steelheart's Champions that I had translocated onto his backfield objective right before the game ended. Their tide level that lets them automatically fight first in combat is absolutely brutal, if that hadn't have happened I probably would have tabled him. My Ballista did precisely dick all game due to the Deepkin battle trait (you must target the closest deepkin model for shooting attacks). All it did was kill a handful of thralls. I can see how (in a game against a different army) having a couple more would be pretty busted though.

Unfortunately I was not able to get off the "Bring an entire REDEEMER unit back on a 5+", which would have been hilarious but I think my opponent would have stabbed me. Had a blast though, can't wait to run these dudes again.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    How much does it matter which weapons I put on the Corvus Cabal models? I plan on starting the painting tomorrow but I'm not sure which weapons to use.

For the most part you don't get a choice, the models only build one way, but for the cheaper models (The cabalists) a couple of them have a choice between hand weapons or spears, and one of them has a choice between a spear or a raven friend. This does make a difference as each of those weapon options has a different points cost and game stats, so, for example, if you built your five cabalists with three spears and two hand weapons between them then your Cabal would wind up at 1005 points and, obviously, would be over-points in a 1k match. So make sure to check the points costs/stats to see what you want to do.

Personally I went with two spears and three hand weapons (which puts you at 995 points I think) cos I don't think the raven familiar is all that useful, though it is adorable.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Don't some flesh eater counts already spur nagash and ignore/despise him?

Yes, it's part of the parent delusion from U'Shoran.

Some view Nagash as a lambent and stern parental god, which furthers his similarities with Sigmar.

Others view Nagash as "god" but as a tyrannical king oppressing them.

Either way the "royal" delusion still affects their view of Nagash as a human deity, and not a giant skeleton.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I feel like they were going an interesting place with the Strigoi, and it looked like they might even bring back Ushoran

but that all got dropped in favor of ending the world.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Oh wow, all the new Warcry stuff is in fact next week, not months away.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »

For the most part you don't get a choice, the models only build one way, but for the cheaper models (The cabalists) a couple of them have a choice between hand weapons or spears, and one of them has a choice between a spear or a raven friend. This does make a difference as each of those weapon options has a different points cost and game stats, so, for example, if you built your five cabalists with three spears and two hand weapons between them then your Cabal would wind up at 1005 points and, obviously, would be over-points in a 1k match. So make sure to check the points costs/stats to see what you want to do.

Personally I went with two spears and three hand weapons (which puts you at 995 points I think) cos I don't think the raven familiar is all that useful, though it is adorable.

I will definitely review it a bit more. I really like the spear poses for some of them.

Mostly I want to get these figured out so I can start the paint scheme. Wish they had cooler bases.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Did the writer of this week's story turn the Stormcast crossbows into blackpowder weapons halfway through the story?
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/02/tales-of-forbidden-power-blood-tendergw-homepage-post-4/

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Did the writer of this week's story turn the Stormcast crossbows into blackpowder weapons halfway through the story?
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/02/tales-of-forbidden-power-blood-tendergw-homepage-post-4/

Stormcast crossbows are also guns.

99120218002_StormcastEternalsJudicators011.jpg
    99120218023_StormcastHurricaneRaptors01.jpg

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Built this warcry list, sitting at 915 points.

++ Open Play (Corvus Cabal) ++

+ Leader +

Shadow Piercer

+ Fighter +

Cabalist

Cabalist

Cabalist

Cabalist with Familiar

Cabalist with Spear

Cabalist with Spear

Shrike Talon

Spire Stalker

++ Total: [915pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Stragint on

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Last weekend in October the local con will have an AoS tourney, and I'm thinking of joining with my BCR. I have never played AoS before, so I'm sure I'll do swimmingly :)

Rules are 1000 pts meeting engagement.

If I've read the rules correctly, there are very few legal BCR setups for this format (the key limit is no more than 2 units from a single warscroll). I only own mournfang and thundertusks/stonehorns.

Spear can't have behemoths, so that leaves only mournfangs.
    Main must have leader and no more than one behemoth, so that leaves lord/huskard and mournfang
    Since I can't have 3 units of mournfangs, that leaves only beastriders for rear.

So I'm going
    Spear: Mournfang
    Main: Mournfang, lord on stonehorn
    Rear: Beastriders on stonehorn
    1000 pts exactly.

Thoughts?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Looks propa stompy. Not really much to say other than go for an alpha strike because Stonehorns are brutal at that.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Hopefully I can get a practice game in before October. But I'm also practicing for X-Wing at the same con, so…

Also, I should really finish painting the fat bastards.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Guys, have you seen Gotrek’s warscroll?
    Dude is nuts in all the best ways:
    GotrekVsTheWorld-Sep5-Warscroll35hbs.jpg

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    His movement is what really holds him back I think, and cost. Easy to proxy model for most armies and allowed to be allied in is super cool for filling out lists on a budget.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    His movement is what really holds him back I think, and cost. Easy to proxy model for most armies and allowed to be allied in is super cool for filling out lists on a budget.

Or a wandering 3rd person

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I picked up the splintered fang and I'm putting them together. The first mini I go to make, the pureblood, and I can. not. get this bit to snap into place. There's a big, visible gap between two bits because it just wouldn't fit together right and now it's glued in place and graaaa

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I picked up the splintered fang and I'm putting them together. The first mini I go to make, the pureblood, and I can. not. get this bit to snap into place. There's a big, visible gap between two bits because it just wouldn't fit together right and now it's glued in place and graaaa

When they do some of the painting demos on youtube it's just really nerveracking to see the gap as you cannot unsee it
    Like in today's
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag0JMpzpiEc
    And others in the past
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUhKgE7WnQw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTRAOSotfzw

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

When they do some of the painting demos on youtube it's just really nerveracking to see the gap as you cannot unsee it
    Like in today's
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag0JMpzpiEc
    And others in the past
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUhKgE7WnQw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTRAOSotfzw

Honestly, it makes me feel better. If they get gaps on the minis they use in videos in at GW, at least it's not just me fucking it up. Hopefully, when it gets primed the greenstuff I filled the gap with doesn't stick out.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I need to get my kit and kaboodle together and start paint my Nighthaunt.

They should be a blast.

This discussion has been closed.