As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Final Fantasy] Seven Remake is in the wild. Beware spoilers!

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    How is the pocket station implemented, if at all?
    Is there finally a way to get that minimog summon?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I’m guessing the like speed and difficulty modifiers disable achievements tho?
    Nope (at least on PS4)! God Mode is the only one that really affects the 'difficulty', but most of the achievements aren't like that anyway.
    They're mostly 'get this GF' and 'do X this number of times'.

I think beating Omega is the only thing the boosts would really let you cheat on, and that's easy enough to cheese anyway.
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Not as far as I can see, at least on PS4. The last Steam version had it, I don't know if that's been carried over to this one.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Nope (at least on PS4)! God Mode is the only one that really affects the 'difficulty', but most of the achievements aren't like that anyway.

I think beating Omega is the only thing the boosts would really let you cheat on, and that's easy enough to cheese anyway.
    Not as far as I can see, at least on PS4. The last Steam version had it, I don't know if that's been carried over to this one.

Everything I've read says it isn't included. So you need to be more vigilant about not missing rarer items that become missable, as there's no backdoor way of acquiring them. Also, potentially making some refining choices a bit harder.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular

Everything I've read says it isn't included. So you need to be more vigilant about not missing rarer items that become missable, as there's no backdoor way of acquiring them. Also, potentially making some refining choices a bit harder.

Apparently, the Chocobo World items have been added to the Angelo Search pool. I've seen no info on drop rates, though.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    hmmmm...Angelo Search + Triple Speed...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I forgot how stupidly powerful you can get in FF8 using cards.

I did some skill grinding on the beach and avoided leveling by turning the enemies into cards instead of killing them then changed the card rule to winner takes all opponents cards and played for a few hours and my squall is something stupid like level 11 with 3200hp hitting for 800-1400 damage

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I forgot how stupidly powerful you can get in FF8 using cards.

I did some skill grinding on the beach and avoided leveling by turning the enemies into cards instead of killing them then changed the card rule to winner takes all opponents cards and played for a few hours and my squall is something stupid like level 11 with 3200hp hitting for 800-1400 damage

I'm not even taking the min-maxing to that extent but yea, get cards, turn cards into items, turn items into spells, turn spells into STRONG. And they just let you do it right out the gate.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    edited September 2019
    Then you remember that all GFs come with Attack, Magic, Draw and Item command...so make them forget those skills and replace them with awesome skills you can get from cards way earlier than some GFs become available (like Atk+50%) and become even more powerful.

EDIT: Did I mention I love how flexible and open the Junction System is?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    You can also get the best weapon for Squall ridiculously early.
    I think you've got to grind out something like 20 Elnoyle cards, though.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You can also get the best weapon for Squall ridiculously early.
    I think you've got to grind out something like 20 Elnoyle cards, though.

Yes, it is totally possible to get it in disk one.

It's actually easier to get it in disk 1, card grinding not withstanding because iirc there is a material that gets harder to find as your level goes up because of changes in monster drop tables. Something off a blue dragon, I think.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Nothing as elaborate as abusing the card system (which at least requires a similar time investment as traditional grinding) is really needed to blow the game up.

Use a guide or some trial and error to pass all the SeeD quizzes to get tons of cash, buy loads of tents for Curaga, Junction to HP on everyone, and you're almost entirely invincible until well into disc 3 or so. To make it even easier, run from random battles until you can get No Encounters.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    You can dramatically speed up card grinding by making sure you're playing with the ALL rule active.

Oh! Cross Play! And new content!

https://youtu.be/CRYvxcQb4I8

To be honest, I completely skipped this one back in the day. I'm super intrigued and...I think I might pick it up!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh! Cross Play! And new content!

https://youtu.be/CRYvxcQb4I8

To be honest, I completely skipped this one back in the day. I'm super intrigued and...I think I might pick it up!

I loved it as much as I could without a GBA.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I played through a bunch of FF:CC with my brother back in the day. Never beat it, however. Looking forward to picking it up again without the obnoxious controller requirements.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I wonder if prostitutes charge as much if they play from their house.

The only thing i remember about playing crystal chronicles was fighting over who got to be stuck on lantern duty

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    was it you?

steam_sig.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I played through a bunch of FF:CC with my brother back in the day. Never beat it, however. Looking forward to picking it up again without the obnoxious controller requirements.

I did too. I remember fighting over the loot.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    i remember crystal chronicles on gamecube.
    never got far, i think it was because i was soloing it.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I don't think I ever fought worse with my siblings over a video game than when we tried to beat Crystal Chronicles together.

It may be time to resurrect that fine tradition of rage.

McMoogle wrote: »
    was it you?

On occasion!

It was always the most boring job carrying around that thing while everyone else got to fight and explore.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Cruor wrote: »

I did too. I remember fighting over the loot.

You want the good loot, do a better job of achieving your secret objective.

Secret objectives could be pretty straightforward when playing online, but I wonder how that will be implemented for couch co-op. Or how they will deal with inventory management for couch co-op, for that matter.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It was funny when you're the team mage and you got the secret objective "Don't Heal". And you're just like sorry guys, Cure ring must be on the fritz...

• ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    Can you even beat Crystal Chronicles with just two people? My friend and I got stonewalled at some point, and I don't think we ever got past there.

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    FFCC is fully beatable with even one player; I've done it myself. Where'd you get stuck?

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    It was honestly so long ago that I don't remember. That's great news though, I'm probably going to pick this up to play with my girlfriend when it comes out.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    It was a long time ago, but I vaguely remember there being a part that was pretty obnoxious to get through solo, something about a puzzle where you had to hit a target with a few different elemental magics in the correct order, which could be annoying with the way that magic system worked. I might be misremembering, though.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I was fighting some boss i could not take out i think.
    But it was years ago so i could be completely misremembering things.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    FINALLY firing up 15.

Is any of the huge pile of DLC worth the price? Money's tight and I don't want to shell out unless it's really good.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    FINALLY firing up 15.

Is any of the huge pile of DLC worth the price? Money's tight and I don't want to shell out unless it's really good.

They have their moments, and gameplay wise they're pretty fun and varied.

But mostly they're there to fill in gaping holes in the narrative that were obviously made for the purpose of selling DLC

The Royal pack also turns the final dungeon...into an actual final dungeon instead of just a big field standing between you and the final boss

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
    Isn't the royal edition the baseline edition sold?

edited September 2019
    https://youtu.be/GBpq_Jq7yn0

some thoughts. That's a lot of summons for the Midgard section. I saw Ifrit, Shiva and Odin. It was cool seeing the frog spell. Also, expanded squat minigame!

lionheart_m on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Oh shit the dropped plate looks brutal

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ahahah, at 20 seconds, there's a new Original Character Do Not Steal that looks right outta Compilation of FF. Gonna withhold judgement til we see him in context, but my kneejerk reaction is that I don't like him! :P

Also...
    what's up with the ghost things? They appeared in the earlier trailer with Aerith, it seemed like Cloud could only see them when she touched him, implying it was some Ancient ability that was letting him see souls in the Lifestream or something, but here it clearly ain't that, there's some fuckin' ghoul subplot here. Maybe they're a new aspect to Jenova or they're replacing the Are Sick Guys?

Real cool seeing the Turks as a legit threat to the characters. Reno looks super fun to fight.

Also woooof, that last shot.

Oh brilliant
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    That last shot gives me a lot of hope that they're going to be spending a lot more time wrestling with the ethics and morality of the actions of AVALANCHE. Give me that emotional, hard fought character development! I crave it!

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    My main concern is that a lot of the voice acting sounds teeeeeerrible. I can't really quantify what about it sounds so awful, if it's the actors or the directing or the lines they're saying, but most of it just doesn't sound good.

reVerse on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm still sore they jettisoned the established cast. They weren't all perfect, but I feel like they were, for the most part, a lot better than what we've heard from the new lot.

Oh brilliant
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    My main concern is that a lot of the voice acting sounds teeeeeerrible. I can't really quantify what about it sounds so awful, if it's the actors or the directing or the lines they're saying, but most of it just doesn't sound good.

Yeah, I know the original dialogue for FF7 isn't Shakespeare, but at least I don't hear it in my head as the worst of cliche tropey awful anime dubbing. This VA work is... super terrible. Amazingly, they've made Barrett sound even worse than his original dialogue, because now he's got a really really bad voice actor trying to deliver his really stereotyped lines. I might actually have to turn on the original Japanese and use subtitles, just to try and mask the horrendous English VA work.

Though I do think some of the awfulness is just bad editing. It's like they're trying to just jam as many words into that trailer as possible instead of just letting the shots speak for themselves, so a lot of what's being spoken is way out of context.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The original cast? There was never voice acting in VII. This will be the original cast right now.

This discussion has been closed.