As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Do we need to update some cliches here?

Drinking the Poo-aid?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it makes sense from a 'how to best spin this' perspective.

Take money from some of the worst possible places, then try to drop it in the lap of Congressional Democrats. It's pretty literally that Eric Andre 'why would X do this?' meme

I'm not even sure where the money is coming from is that important to them. It's just where there are available funds to steal that won't impact programs they want to keep running.

He's just hyper-focused on having a wall built so he can say he did something.

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    He took funding for a new fire and rescue building from Tyndall AFB, the only thing in Florida to be affected by this. Why is this of any particular note you might ask? Well now, that’s because that is the same Tyndall AFB that was devastated by Hurricane Michael one year ago, the same one he is on record over and over stating it will get rebuilt better than ever. The icing on the cake of course is this severely hurts an already devastated area that desperately needs the base for its economic livelihood and the area is blood red in support for him. You can imagine of course as a result the knots people are twisting themselves in down here to justify this, again actively letting themselves be shit on as long as brown people get messed with/hurt.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Can house democrats pass a bill explicitly taking the money back from his wall building? It wont pass the Senate but at least it covers that they are directing funds to these areas.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I mean, sure, you could drink water from the toilet if the water is clean and the toilet is super clean and disinfected. But it still doesn't change the fact that telling another human being to drink out of the toilet is degrading and dehumanizing. So I don't give a fuck if Steve King drank from a toilet or not (he didn't, he's a liar).

And I highly doubt the toilets in the concentration camps are even remotely clean. I'd be surprised if they even flushed properly, since I'd imagine they'd want the toilets to clog and back up for maximum cruelty.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it makes sense from a 'how to best spin this' perspective.

Take money from some of the worst possible places, then try to drop it in the lap of Congressional Democrats. It's pretty literally that Eric Andre 'why would X do this?' meme

I'm not even sure where the money is coming from is that important to them. It's just where there are available funds to steal that won't impact programs they want to keep running.

He's just hyper-focused on having a wall built so he can say he did something.

Even if it's not important to them, the goal appears to be to disincentivize congressional democrats from fighting it, out of fear of losing an optics battle.

Historically Democrats are very cowardly when it comes to moves like this, opting to try and avoid any semblance of a conflict before it happens, but we'll see I guess.

I mean, it seems to me there’s an easy optics win saying you’re voting to stop Trump from stealing money from your district

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Can house democrats pass a bill explicitly taking the money back from his wall building? It wont pass the Senate but at least it covers that they are directing funds to these areas.

Some of this has sounded like it's explicitly illegal to begin with since it isn't in accordance with appropriations? And, you know, power of the purse and all that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Some of this has sounded like it's explicitly illegal to begin with since it isn't in accordance with appropriations? And, you know, power of the purse and all that.

Oh McConnel isn't going to pretend to give a shit.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    In massive chutzpah news, Trump is using his emergency powers to take $3.6 billion from 127 military contruction projects to instead do some unauthorized wall construction, then asking Congress to authorize $3.6 billion in additional funding for the pilfered projects.

"Unless they... hate the troops?" - is how I expect that ask to be spun.
    The Pentagon said the projects weren’t being canceled, and wouldn’t even be delayed, so long as Congress agreed to “backfill” the funds and once again appropriate money for the projects. Democrats have balked at the suggestion, noting that they have already funded the projects in question. They say the action flies in the face of Congress’s constitutionally-mandated power of the purse.

https://wapo.st/34nMvQY

If I were a US citizen, I’d be writing my member of Congress and asking them to vote not on increasing Pentagon funding by the amount shifted, but decreasing Pentagon funding by the amount shifted. Make it clear that if the executive fucks with funding, Congress isn’t going to roll over and give them more money. If the Pentagon complains that they’re now 7.2 billion short, tell them to take it up with the Executive.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

Oh McConnel isn't going to pretend to give a shit.

Oh, sure. But he doesn't have to - I think any congressperson would have standing.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure this is going to go the same way it did last time.

Trump appropriates shit he shouldn't.
    Democrats object.
    Democrats maybe do that vote to override an emergency (can't remember the name)
    Then either Passes the House. Passes the Senate. President Vetos. Passes the House. Fails the Senate.
    Or Passes the House. Fails the Senate.
    President takes the money.
    Lawsuit.
    Injunction.
    Run out the clock.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Republicans will literally drink toilet water to defend the existence of their concentration camps, I see

Solar wrote: »
    Republicans will literally drink toilet water to defend the existence of their concentration camps, I see

Well, they'll say they will.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    CBP is running a checkpoint on I-89 South in New Hampshire right after the Vermont border. Normally they do it on I-91 in Vermont and they have for at least fifteen years. I don't know if they were pressured to move or just did to change things up, but some folks were holding signs on an overpass about a mile away warning everyone about the checkpoint so that was nice.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    When Vermont sends their people, they don't send their best...

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    CBP is running a checkpoint on I-89 South in New Hampshire right after the Vermont border. Normally they do it on I-91 in Vermont and they have for at least fifteen years. I don't know if they were pressured to move or just did to change things up, but some folks were holding signs on an overpass about a mile away warning everyone about the checkpoint so that was nice.

In the region New Hampshire's the only state that keeps weed illegal. They stop cars coming out of massachusetts as well. They're trying to catch drug trafficking.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

In the region New Hampshire's the only state that keeps weed illegal. They stop cars coming out of massachusetts as well. They're trying to catch drug trafficking.

Not if it's CBP running the checkpoint. That's not on their jurisdiction. Looking for *Canadian* weed, yes. But this is 99% to fuck with immigrants.

When Vermont sends their people, they don't send their best...

We send our cheese makers, our syrup smugglers, our Phish fans...

Maybe they have a point...

• KPCKPC Registered User regular
    How can we talk GOP representatives into locking themselves into internment camps to demonstrate how great they are and then we just “lose” the key?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

It was a literal drinking fountain/sink built into the tank of a toilet, the kind of thing designed solely for the military/prison industrial complex. But somehow I doubt those sorts of specialized toilets are available in every cell in every facility holding people.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Its also not what "drinking out of the toilet" means. That means "the bowl".

wbBv3fj.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

I thought the people in the camps were drinking out of the tank, not the bowl. I feel like I remember some assholes using that as justification of why it isn't bad.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    It’s splitting hairs at this point.

It’s unsanitary, abhorrent, and degrading no matter which part of the toilet it is.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Even if it's a tank, or a fountain attached to the toilet, ever seen one of those videos that visualizes how far the toilet water sprays when you flush one?

Let me break it down for you: Probably don't keep your toothbrush uncovered anywhere within line of sight of a toilet. And definitely don't drink out of anything that is literally attached to a toilet.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I thought the people in the camps were drinking out of the tank, not the bowl. I feel like I remember some assholes using that as justification of why it isn't bad.

The fountain on the top was broken so the women in question were forced to drink from the bowl that's for pissing in.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

The fountain on the top was broken so the women in question were forced to drink from the bowl that's for pissing in.

Fucking hell.

It’s splitting hairs at this point.

It’s unsanitary, abhorrent, and degrading no matter which part of the toilet it is.

I think it's important to note when someone lies, and that misrepresenting what actually occurred is worse than just dismissing it outright.

Anyway, reminder that ICE is terrorizing people all over the place, not just at the Mexico border.

(Jeff Sharlet is a teacher at Dartmouth.)

Drink or get off the pot, King

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Anyway, reminder that ICE is terrorizing people all over the place, not just at the Mexico border.

I mentioned before there were people at the overpass a couple miles away warning everyone. They had a big sign up so that people could get off at the exit before the checkpoint. Which I did because yuck to that traffic.

vskipkknmwxo.jpg

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Even if it's a tank, or a fountain attached to the toilet, ever seen one of those videos that visualizes how far the toilet water sprays when you flush one?

Let me break it down for you: Probably don't keep your toothbrush uncovered anywhere within line of sight of a toilet. And definitely don't drink out of anything that is literally attached to a toilet.

Its fine to drink out of the tank. Its not ideal because it is, essentially, just a bucket and buckets collect bacteria if not properly cleaned because water sits in them. But its not really any less sanitary in there than any other covered bucket and the more the toilet is used the safer its likely to be. Its not going to get poop or urine in it.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular

Its fine to drink out of the tank. Its not ideal because it is, essentially, just a bucket and buckets collect bacteria if not properly cleaned because water sits in them. But its not really any less sanitary in there than any other covered bucket and the more the toilet is used the safer its likely to be. Its not going to get poop or urine in it.

It's often said that in a post-apocalyptic survival situation, toilet tanks would be a useful source of water.

this is not a post-apocalyptic survival situation

they have running water available

there is literally no reason they should have to drink from the toilet tank

broken image link
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

The potability of toilet water isn't really the key issue here.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They did this at WVU as well.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    ICE is now shooting first, asking questions later - https://www.newschannel5.com/news/police-respond-to-shots-fired-call-at-antioch-food-lion

You're at that point already

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    fuuuuuuck

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    ICE is now shooting first, asking questions later - https://www.newschannel5.com/news/police-respond-to-shots-fired-call-at-antioch-food-lion

Of course they blame Nashville for not cooperating.

Fuck them

fuck gendered marketing
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Of course they blame Nashville for not cooperating.

Fuck them

I do like how:

1) The FBI basically says, "Yeah this guy's not dangerous. Like, at all." and
    2) Mayor Briley puts out a statement saying that his priority is the safety and well-being of all "residents" (not citizens, residents!) of Nashville. As in, "not the whims of these ICE thugs from out of town". And also MNPD is looking for the victim so that he can get medical attention, not so we can turn him in.

So basically everyone who's not ICE is like, fuck ICE.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Yep. Looks like it's starting. How long before Trump declares ICE to only answer to the federal government and allows them to operate with immunity wherever in the country they want with no regard to local laws?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
This discussion has been closed.