As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Beaking

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Beaking

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Sigma_100Sigma_100 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Daryl: Say, have you ever hoovered internet schneef?

Squirrely Dan: Oh I've hoovered schneef off the tummy of an exotic parrot while livestreaming on Twitch.

Sigma_100 on
  • RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    That twitch chat is seriously lacking in twitch emote spam.

D083uBC.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    how long has it been since a PA WoW comic?

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I mean, I don't understand why a person would want to watch any stream. Not just WoW. Streaming culture completely baffles me. Obviously the mainstream likes it. But I don't understand why. If I have free time, I'm going to spend it playing video games myself, not watching someone else play video games.

Plus, streamers are so obnoxious with their constant "thanks for the coins!" "thanks for the sub" "thanks for the support you guys." Like, they call that community engagement, but what they are doing, reading a name on a screen and parroting it back, that is not engagement. But oh well. I don't need to understand it. I'll just continuing living my life without it cause I don't need it or want it.

Panel 3 cracks me up. Dat face.

• thepuregamerthepuregamer Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the parakeet is staring at the people watching and judging them.

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I mean, I don't understand why a person would want to watch any stream. Not just WoW. Streaming culture completely baffles me. Obviously the mainstream likes it. But I don't understand why. If I have free time, I'm going to spend it playing video games myself, not watching someone else play video games.

Plus, streamers are so obnoxious with their constant "thanks for the coins!" "thanks for the sub" "thanks for the support you guys." Like, they call that community engagement, but what they are doing, reading a name on a screen and parroting it back, that is not engagement. But oh well. I don't need to understand it. I'll just continuing living my life without it cause I don't need it or want it.

Because a lot of people including me like to watch a certain game, usually their favorite streamer but do not particularly play that game. For example, I hate playing Horror games but I love watching people play them, that way I can still appriciate the game without the stress of playing it. Or people like to watch people stream because they like to see what their favorite streamer thinks of the game and see their reaction of certain moments, a lot of people play the game and afterward watch a stream. That's also me.

Or people don't have the current system in question and want to watch a playthrough.

It's also nice to have in the back ground and hang out with a community.

Sure there are a bunch of obnoxious streamers and the big channels with big streamers don't really allow for community chat or interacting because the chat moves at lightning speed but the medium sized channels with good moderation with a good person as a streamer that doesn't put up a persona is where you need to be for that.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I'll watch a stream of a game being played because I'm interested enough in it to see what it looks like, but don't want to pony up the money to play it myself because I'm on the fence, or my budget is limited.

Astral Chain on the Switch is a perfect example right now.

I don't necessarily care about who I'm viewing that's playing the game, but I'll definitely steer away from obnoxious persona caricature streamer types, and try to find someone who reacts a bit more normal to what they're playing. I don't mind a channel with a few bells and whistles like those overlays when someone subs or donates, either. That's just part of the Twitch culture, and I can deal with that.

To the point of the comic, I am just as baffled why anyone would watch a streamer play WoW. Classic WoW was monotonous for quest grinding, so unless it's a culmination of people watching 40-man raids (and the viewership probably peaked watching the raid guilds get world firsts), I don't think Classic WoW viewership is going to remain as high until BWL drops.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Remember to smash that like button!

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Surely the comic should be named "Beaking Bad"?

I'm going to #NotAllStreamers this, but I have to say I really like watching a lot of the PA streams. For the same reason I like watching PA TV back when that was a thing. I feel like the PA people are my friends, at this point. I like hanging out with them. Like you would if you were sitting next to a friend watching them play a game. And not like looking in the window watching them, either, because generally the PA chat doesn't scroll and you can actually have authentic conversations both with the hosts and the other chat folks. People in chat are actually recognized by the host, and recognize each other.

But yeah, I totally get what you're talking about with streamers liked by the masses. But I don't understand why people watch sports, either. It's the same kind of deal.

dennis on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

"I don't understand why someone would play video games instead of go outside"

"I don't understand why someone would watch sports instead of just play them"

"I don't understand why some would *insert anything* instead of *insert anything else*"

All these statements show is an inability to look at something from a perspective outside your own.

• rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »

feelsbadman

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I like watching streamers play Magic because they're better than me and the good ones explain their process.

"I don't understand why some would *insert anything* instead of *insert anything else*"

All these statements show is an inability to look at something from a perspective outside your own.

It's just shorthand for "these things don't appeal to me", for the most part. Like I can say "I don't get why people like durian". But it's not because I can't understand the concept that other people like things I don't. No need to make it into a personal failing.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

It's just shorthand for "these things don't appeal to me", for the most part. Like I can say "I don't get why people like durian". But it's not because I can't understand the concept that other people like things I don't. No need to make it into a personal failing.

Yea but words have meanings. And just using different words(like you just did there) it conveys the actual thing you intend.

And when the person follows up with more explanation about how they seem to actually mean this thing and not something else, it doesn't seem to make sense to assume they mean anything else.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Depending on the streamer the viewers might be there because they have a style of commentary they find entertaining, or might be able to play the game at a really high level, as well.

Yea but words have meanings. And just using different words(like you just did there) it conveys the actual thing you intend.

And when the person follows up with more explanation about how they seem to actually mean this thing and not something else, it doesn't seem to make sense to assume they mean anything else.

We all know how words work, yeah. But wait, you didn't actually mean that we didn't know that words have meaning? You were just trying to make a point?

Point made.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Some of them are just ... entertaining. Funny, even.

There are funny, entertaining people out there.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    For my part, I find I don't usually enjoy streams when it's just one person. There are rare exceptions, but those typically require them to be playing a game I really like. One person and a game I haven't tried doesn't do it for me. But I do like it when there are multiple people, because they can interact with each other.

Honestly there's a pretty huge variety of 'watch person/people play games' content out there with many different personalities involved.

H9f4bVe.png
    edited September 2019

We all know how words work, yeah. But wait, you didn't actually mean that we didn't know that words have meaning? You were just trying to make a point?

Point made.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to do here. It really feels like you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Both your posts have seemingly picked 1 random part and ignored the rest in order to have something to disagree with. I want to try to give you the benefit of the doubt again so I'll respond to this one.

This post doesn't even make sense with what I said. Had I said "Don't you know words have meaning?" or something along those lines then it would make more sense but.. I didn't. So even at that base level this response doesn't make any point at all.

And even further I specifically went on to explain that in this case the person further adds details that they seemed to really mean this thing and that's why I said what I said. So even if your initial response did make sense on it's own, it still wouldn't apply here.

I'm not entirely sure what point you are even trying to make at this time.

DemonStacey on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'll watch a stream of a game being played because I'm interested enough in it to see what it looks like, but don't want to pony up the money to play it myself because I'm on the fence, or my budget is limited.

Astral Chain on the Switch is a perfect example right now.

I don't necessarily care about who I'm viewing that's playing the game, but I'll definitely steer away from obnoxious persona caricature streamer types, and try to find someone who reacts a bit more normal to what they're playing. I don't mind a channel with a few bells and whistles like those overlays when someone subs or donates, either. That's just part of the Twitch culture, and I can deal with that.

To the point of the comic, I am just as baffled why anyone would watch a streamer play WoW. Classic WoW was monotonous for quest grinding, so unless it's a culmination of people watching 40-man raids (and the viewership probably peaked watching the raid guilds get world firsts), I don't think Classic WoW viewership is going to remain as high until BWL drops.

This. Plus, I like watching speedrunning channels. I'll never be a speedrunner, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy watching runs or, even better, races.

There's also things like Acquisitions Incorporated: The "C" Team and Critical Role on Twitch.

• TransluciaTranslucia Registered User regular
    thanks and please keep calling out stuff like this. people need to raise their standards period. do something good.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »
    If it's a freeze-frame, you should just see a big blur as a huge stream of text just rolls on through.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Sigma_100 wrote: »
    Daryl: Say, have you ever hoovered internet schneef?

Squirrely Dan: Oh I've hoovered schneef off the tummy of an exotic Norwegian Blue parrot that was pining for the fjords while livestreaming on Twitch.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I like watching streamers play Magic because they're better than me and the good ones explain their process.

In general watching a skilled player in a game with a learning curve to see what someone else does instead of me fumbling around lost can be a worthwhile experience.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Train DodgerTrain Dodger Registered User regular

We need to go deeper.

One of these days, I’m going to stream myself watching someone else streaming themselves playing WOW.

ucziqWG.jpg

• Sigma_100Sigma_100 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I thought it was pretty funny when I made a sick reference to Letterkenny, but nobody laughed.

Edit: Oh I spoke too soon, thank you and I love you and your taste in TV shows, Steel Angel.

Sigma_100 on
  • GibborimGibborim Registered User regular
    Excellent comic, but I think the correct version of the first Twitch comment is "Birb!" rather than "Bird!".

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular

Not sure how it is on Twitch, but on the rare occassion I watch a recording of a stream, they only do the community engagement in lulls in play, like between rounds or something like that.

But from my experience there's two types of streamer audiences: The ones that watch because of the personalities/reactions, and the ones who play to watch how pro-level players play to try to pick up on strategies.

Or in my case, it's because they're streaming Trivia Murder Party and I'd never get to actually play it otherwise.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    What's it say on his hat? Cpt Fckst9n? Is that pronounced 'Captain Fuck-stein?'

H9f4bVe.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Oh please. Everyone knows that it’s actually Cpt Fckst9n’s Monster.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    He nailed what a parakeet looks like. Those dead eyes.

• RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Dire Duck Foreskins? I don't remember that quest, was it Horde or Alliance?

Golden Yak wrote: »

50ybfugbtmvg.png

Perhaps it's a 4, and he's simply expressing his enthusiasm for international relations.

Captain Fucks teh Foreign

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I kinda like watching streams (or at least, youtube clips of streams) of strategy games because there's enough time to kinda let things breathe and talk through the gameplay as it's happening. And even in that environment it's really hard to be an engaging streamer

WoW isn't even that fast paced and I have a hard time understanding how people watch it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Also, the hat isn't his name, he's a history buff. Captain Percival T. Fckst4n was one of the key figures in the Anglo-Russian War, and invented the famous "Sack of Tea" maneuver that lead to the triumphant victory in the Battle of Los Angeles (1412).

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    There's two cases where I like watching streams: One is a game I really love but can't play my way out of a wet paper bag on easy with cheats (Example: Crusader Kings II - my flailing incompetence once led me to lose the Kingdom of Whales to the Byzantines after a dynasty that blew through four heirs in eleven years). The other is if the person is funny, which has led me to Spiffing Brit's Crusader Kings II series where he twists the game into some insane parodies of itself with obscure exploits and goddamnit even duplicating his 100+ stat immortal King of Norway I ended up being overthrown by my two year old son who had the trait "Voice of Satan," who died of gout before he turned five and... I think I'm playing the game wrong maybe?

Hevach on
  • Hawk oneHawk one Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    There's two cases where I like watching streams: One is a game I really love but can't play my way out of a wet paper bag on easy with cheats (Example: Crusader Kings II - my flailing incompetence once led me to lose the Kingdom of Whales to the Byzantines after a dynasty that blew through four heirs in eleven years). The other is if the person is funny, which has led me to Spiffing Brit's Crusader Kings II series where he twists the game into some insane parodies of itself with obscure exploits and goddamnit even duplicating his 100+ stat immortal King of Norway I ended up being overthrown by my two year old son who had the trait "Voice of Satan," who died of gout before he turned five and... I think I'm playing the game wrong maybe?

You playing a game where everything goes horribly wrong, and you honestly have no idea why... That could actually make for an interesting stream.

But signatures don't really work, do they?
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Hawk one wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »

You playing a game where everything goes horribly wrong, and you honestly have no idea why... That could actually make for an interesting stream.

If I were good enough at the game to actually understand, sure. Its a great game to watch spiral out of control. But when it spirals out of control because I'm trying to even figure out how to do something basic properly and oh wow my wife stabbed me in my sleep while I was lost in a menu I didn't know how to use... Nobody has fun.

But I 100% guarantee it's because I'm really, really bad at it. 90% of the viewers would be screaming at their monitors like armchair quarterbacks as I make depressingly rookie mistakes.
    the other 10% will be screaming, "git gud kill urself lol"

Hevach on
  • shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    @Hevach that sounds hilarious. It'd make for a good tv show.