As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Replacing in wall power sockets/plug

bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
edited September 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok so were replacing old stuff in our kitchen and I dont know what this extra dark grey wire is, everything else I know where it goes but Im not sure about this, the old plug was so gross I couldn't really see what it went to.

Picture attached the wire in question is the one hanging on the bottom, everything else is attached where it should go.

bloodyroarxx on

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    is that outlet on a switch?

its either for that or the outlets are chained. Assuming that is the other black wire, it can go together or on a second terminal

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    mts wrote: »
    is that outlet on a switch?

its either for that or the outlets are chained. Assuming that is the other black wire, it can go together or on a second terminal

Hmm

Ugh the previous owner was an electrician and did a lot of shit himself halfassed

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    typically red wires are for separate power for a ceiling fan so you can run the fan without lights

maybe they used that to wire? otherwise no idea.

I am all for doing that yourself, but when things get weird I call an electrician. At least it isn't the cloth covered wire. we have that in our house and its super old so it can crumble if you give it a side eye

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Not an electrician, My guess is that it was both a chained outlet and a split outlet where one was switched.
    Basically this

split-receptacle-wiring-diagram-using-nm-cable2.png

Plus

receptacle-wiring-diagram.png

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    I mean you probably just need to wire that to the same side as the other black wire.
    This is also a good reminder to take a phot of the the old wiring so you can repeat things. That or take it off then immediately put on new one

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Hrmmm it’s supposed to look like this.

hso0fpua30br.jpeg

Do you have a voltage tester?