As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat is a neat freak, will not stop peeing on floor

mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
I am at the end of my rope with this and have no idea what to do next.

We have 2 cats, and one is a notorious neat freak. She uses the litter box, but if it's got anything in it in her path, she won't. I have 2 litter boxes to minimize this, but lately overnight - every night this week - we wake up to find she's gone #2 RIGHT in the entryway to the box, and then later when she has to pee, decides she's not going in there and goes right outside the box.

Sometimes it's flipped! If she has to pee first, it's right in the entryway, and then she poos on the floor. That's much easier to clean.

Yesterday I got another box and placed it in the room, but I guess she didn't see it because this morning I spent a half hour cleaning pee again, while that box went untouched. This morning I moved it so its directly next to the other one (it was in the opposite corner). She is 13, so we know these problems happen with age, but it's just so obvious it has nothing to do with age because she gets in and goes ONCE, but since she's going right as she steps in, she wont go BACK that way.

I spent $40 on some low wall litter box that should arrive tomorrow, hoping that more entry points may buy us the time to scoop before she has to go again, but it's incredibly frustrating.

Any ideas?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    does it have a cover witha a single hole?

wondering if a non covered box would help. move it so it isn't tucked into a corner. that way she can walk out a different direction?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    does it have a cover witha a single hole?

wondering if a non covered box would help. move it so it isn't tucked into a corner. that way she can walk out a different direction?

Good idea. It's not covered but it is a triangle corner type thing, with high side walls and then a low front. The new one I ordered is just a box, so that's true being able to enter from the front or the side may help.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Try switching litter brands.

I have a manx with poop troubles, the lack of a tail can actually be significant enough to cause issues with nerve function. That means he doesn't really know when he has to go, the solution I've found is setting him in the box and sitting there for a minute at least once a day. He looks confused and irritated for a couple seconds and then immediately digs a poop/pee trench.

Try setting her in the box before bed every night. It'll let you really observe her and you might notice a new behavior. I'd look for signs of distress/pain or irritation with the litter itself.

Go get em poop coach.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    or even cut a second hole in the back. Our cats are kickers so we need the high sides, but if you had something like

P825wPR.jpg

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Put puppy pee pads in the usual places she makes a mess.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Hate to be a downer but If this is a recently started thing it might be a urinary infection or other health-related thing. My cat started doing this in late stage of life due to kidney failure.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this is worth checking with a vet. Urinary problems like this can be a whole host of issues.