As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Neighbors electronics making me sick

JillpetersJillpeters Registered User new member
My neighbor is making me very sick with heavy electronic equipment. Like a similar post, a loud hum, probably worse than theirs.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    What sort of help are you looking for? What have you already done in terms of communicating with your neighbors and/or relevant authorities?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    if it's after 10pm, call the cops

or just ask them to please turn it down

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    As the previous posts suggest, it's probably worth asking them nicely to turn down any loud equipment.

If they refuse, you can call your local non emergency number and talk to them (as Xaquin says, that'll only work past a certain time of day, usually).

In the case of repeated, constant loud noises (I'm assuming this is an apartment?), contact your landlord and go from there. This option of course disappears in the case of ownership/houses.

If you can at all start by having a friendly, non passive aggressive chat with them, that'll be good, but if that's not an option, go for landlord and non emergency number in tandem.

This is all assuming that you are talking about loud noises, though, and not their having electronic equipment in general (like, computers emitting radiation!), which won't really be a thing you can complain about to anyone.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    You can also sound proof your house, it’s not super cheap. But sound is waves through the air, replacing windows doors and insulating all of the exterior walls greatly reduces or eliminates sound. My mom did this and didn’t hear a car T-bone hers outside.

For cheaper options they have sound proofing curtains, foam panels and moving blankets.

zepherin on
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    You can also sound proof your house, it’s not super cheap. But sound is waves through the air, replacing windows doors and insulating all of the exterior walls greatly reduces or eliminates sound. My mom did this and didn’t hear a car T-bone hers outside.

For cheaper options they have sound proofing curtains, foam panels and moving blankets.

Won't help if the sound is in the same building and is being conducted and/or amplified by the structure, which is unfortunately a common thing when people complain about humming.