As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

124»

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The extent to which the conservative response to the 1619 project is moral relativism and whataboutism is almost impressive.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/09/five-things-they-dont-tell-you-about-slavery/
    Five Things They Don’t Tell You about Slavery
    1. Through much of human history, slavery was ubiquitous and unquestioned
    2. The East African slave trade lasted into the 20th century
    3. Islam was a great conveyor belt of slavery
    4. The Atlantic slave trade would have been impossible without African cooperation
    5. Brazil took the lion’s share of slaves from the Atlantic slave trade
    I was absolutely taught all of that in high school history classes. Number 2 was at least mentioned as part of how many slaves there still are today. Number three and four did not do anything to absolve the Europeans if blame because the transatlantic slave trade created extremely messed up incentives that caused huge harm to the African groups and Europeans knew this. The outcome of trading people for guns that war lords would then use to get more slaves is pretty obvious. I am sure my history textbook had a map showing the regions to which the slaves in the transatlantic slave trade went.

8DqCnXx.png?2
    Look at the copyright date.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    As Jamelle Bouie put it, the article is more like "five things you'll learn from any half decent book on the history of atlantic slavery."

Their rebuttal seems to consist entirely of "well other people did it too!"

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    It's basically just people who were taught by the Dunning school, and were never curious enough to read anything after 11th grade, being shocked that other people were and are.

I honestly wonder what my dad got taught, let alone today's elderly who were kids in the segregated South.

moniker on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The US was the first colony to become independent and enshrined slavery in its constitution, with rules that still fuck us in twenty-fucking-nineteen

Pretty much every other new world colony abolished slavery immediately upon becoming free from monarchy or otherwise set in motion laws that phased it out shortly thereafter.

Slavery in Brazil was outlawed by the time they became a republic in 1889. They only had it for longer than the US because they were still ruled by the children/grandchildren of the Portuguese king from their independence in 1822 to 1889.

Fuck those evil whatabouting ballsacks

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Didn't we also like totally fuckin change how slaves were treated and regarded. Not to like say slaves before had it great, but didn't other systems not have the like rampant dehumanization and general meat grinder effect that American chattel slavery entailed? Like learning about sugar plantations fuckin blew my mind when I heard the kinda numbers they churned through. It was my understanding that the slavery of the Americas was like notably more expansive and cruel than slavery systems that had existed before. I'll admit this may be something apocryphal I picked up somewhere, but I thought I remembered learning this somewhere. Again not to say slavery before chattel slavery was like fuckin great or anything, but it was my understanding we took it to a whole other level.

Sleep on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Didn't we also like totally fuckin change how slaves were treated and regarded. Not to like say slaves before had it great, but didn't other systems not have the like rampant dehumanization and general meat grinder effect that American chattel slavery entailed? Like learning about sugar plantations fuckin blew my mind when I heard the kinda numbers they churned through. It was my understanding that the slavery of the Americas was like notably more expansive and cruel than slavery systems that had existed before. I'll admit this may be something apocryphal I picked up somewhere, but I thought I remembered learning this somewhere. Again not to say slavery before chattel slavery was like fuckin great or anything, but it was my understanding we took it to a whole other level.

We had the grinding sugar plantations in American, with the same death rates. It's why "being sold down South" was used as a punishment for slaves elsewhere.

There's an article about this in the 1619 Project.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    It's basically just people who were taught by the Dunning school, and were never curious enough to read anything after 11th grade, being shocked that other people were and are.

I honestly wonder what my dad got taught, let alone today's elderly who were kids in the segregated South.

That's one thing I keep thinking about my parent's generation is that their knowledge was limited exclusively to what they were taught in school, whereas nowadays we have a wealth of information on just about every topic at our fingertips or in our pockets. This access to information would be unthinkable to their times.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

We had the grinding sugar plantations in American, with the same death rates. It's why "being sold down South" was used as a punishment for slaves elsewhere.

There's an article about this in the 1619 Project.

Oh yeah no I count the sugar plantations against us. When I was saying American, I meant the whole of the Americas the practice started before the US was the US and the Atlantic slave trade covered both continents. That the region's involved splintered into individual countries later seems like a total bullshit cover for trying to whataboutism shit. The same folks supplying us were supplying the other countries and we traded slaves with them, the whole thing was a big fuckin web of awfulness. Wouldn't matter if it was our sugar plantations or Caribbean ones, none of the countries existed when they started the system and they were all part of the same system.

I'm talking about the whole, slavery existed before us, whataboutism. Where we like took an undeniably existent problem, magnified it and made it far crueler. Like the ideology behind chattel slavery was different than the ideologies that backed former slave systems and resulted in far more expansive and crueler slavery. Like we weren't just continuing a practice that already existed we took a practice that existed and made it demonstrably worse. Like far worse than it ever was before.

Again not to say slavery before it was sunshine and rainbows, but that we expressly made it worse.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah there’s an article about this. The US practiced the purest, most brutal form of capitalism, made manifest through our system of slavery.

The cruelty has two ingredients:
    •The primary is banal business optimization, the maximization of profits from inputs including selective breeding, quotas, middle and shift managers, and creative financing (using slaves as collateral)....there was also the “blue ocean” strategy of inland cotton, so now take the above system and just move it further in/south and hotter
    •Then there was the fomenting of racism to dehumanize slaves so the above could keep going on for longer

Our wealth is literal blood money. That’s the fucking legacy upon which our form of capitalism and business is based.

We still do a lot of the same shit today, in fact, we just do it while trying to compensate people the absolute least we can get away with...

We were more committed to slavery than everyone else because we were more committed to money.

Captain Inertia on