As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Well, the guaranteed crit is a non-stealth one. It just makes it so Assassin's Strike can now be used for reliable in-combat spike as well as out. It feels really natural.

The new sniper changes basically turns snipers into Assassin's Strike, but without the combo effect. It also feels really good.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    A Stalker that isn't useless outside of Hide is NO STALKER AT ALL :x

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    All of this talk about Empathy being bad reminds me of some math an RO guy did on live comparing it to Dark Miasma. The big aoe tohit debuff toggle prevents more damage to your team than an Empath can undo over any amount of time, and DM has a huge AOE heal with a -regen component, and DM has an aoe rez, fear, a pet that casts the same heal, and tar pit. Friends don't let friends play empathy; be a dark miasma!

• TachTach Registered User regular
    Oh my god. Fellas, I really want to join. Is there any way to do so at this point?

• DacDac Registered User regular
    I don't think Emp is bad, per se, but I think people pick it a lot for the wrong reasons. It has some nice AF buffs.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Dac wrote: »
    I don't think Emp is bad, per se, but I think people pick it a lot for the wrong reasons. It has some nice AF buffs.

Oh for sure. Fort is amazing, infinite endurance is great! The problem is other support sets negate damage done to your team entirely, driving the need for hwaling down substantially. I'd say anyone who wants to be an empath should look at therm instead, though. The shields provide proactive mitigation, forge and thaw are decent buffs, the healing is near on par with emp and pain, MA and HA are phenominal debuffs, and ROTP is the best single target rez in the game.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    All of this talk about Empathy being bad reminds me of some math an RO guy did on live comparing it to Dark Miasma. The big aoe tohit debuff toggle prevents more damage to your team than an Empath can undo over any amount of time, and DM has a huge AOE heal with a -regen component, and DM has an aoe rez, fear, a pet that casts the same heal, and tar pit. Friends don't let friends play empathy; be a dark miasma!

Yeah. If there was something I realized early in CoH was that the power in this game is not about the Holy Trinity like many other MMOs, it's about buffs and debuffs. I even wrote an article on the old CoH forums about it titled something like "Layered defense theory" which stated that:
    1. While Reducing the enemy hitpoints to Zero while Preserving your own was the ultimate endgoal of anyfight the most direct ways of affecting this (damage and healing) were also by necessity the least cost-effective means available to you (with cost being definited as Time, both animation time and recharge, and its cost in endurance).
    2. The best method (definied as being the both efficient and reliable) of preventing enemies from reducing your hitpoints to zero is not maximizing any individual layer of defense, but applying a whole range of cost-effective methods of damage reduction across multiple layers of defense.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    even leaving aside the question of whether being a 'healer' is dumb (it is), nature is much better at it than empathy on HC; nature does a much better job of healing the kind of damage groups actually regularly take

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Tach wrote: »
    Oh my god. Fellas, I really want to join. Is there any way to do so at this point?
    Search for City of Heroes Homecoming to find the forums, then check out the Getting Started section, that should set you up.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Yeah. If there was something I realized early in CoH was that the power in this game is not about the Holy Trinity like many other MMOs, it's about buffs and debuffs. I even wrote an article on the old CoH forums about it titled something like "Layered defense theory" which stated that:
    1. While Reducing the enemy hitpoints to Zero while Preserving your own was the ultimate endgoal of anyfight the most direct ways of affecting this (damage and healing) were also by necessity the least cost-effective means available to you (with cost being definited as Time, both animation time and recharge, and its cost in endurance).
    2. The best method (definied as being the both efficient and reliable) of preventing enemies from reducing your hitpoints to zero is not maximizing any individual layer of defense, but applying a whole range of cost-effective methods of damage reduction across multiple layers of defense.

Yeah on live one of the most effective groups I was on had a /sonic corruptor, a /cold corruptor, me as a dark/ defender and then a bunch of damage. No tanks needed at all. We rarely got hit, and when we did, it was for half normal damage. And my TG healed for like half of the group's life! Buffs and debuffs in CO* are fucking insane.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Empathy is really one of the more fire-and-forget powersets. If you're in a situation where you really need to spam heals as fast as Empathy can spam heals, you're going to get overwhelmed in short order. It's a good pair for most control sets since they're very involved, or for blast sets with a lot of positioning-dependent AoEs or other mechanics like Water Blast or Beam Rifle.

If you're playing Empathy, and expecting to pay attention to it and be rewarded the way you might for debuff-heavy support sets like Dark Miasma or Radiation Emission, you're not only going to be disappointed you're probably going to drag down the group by not blasting things.

• eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I should remake my character from my forum avatar, the one that got printed in a City of Heroes comic book(haha, remember those?) with the battle cry "BLARGH" just because I could. Enigma M-325, an Illusion Control/Force Field controller.

(She/Her)
    Trying to go for an AoE Sentinel build, so I created NIGHT AVENGER, Dual Pistols/Dark Armor sentinel
    H1uQ30x.jpg
    If you can't tell, I tried to go for "Maximum 90s" with oversized pistols (dual-wielded ofcourse), skull motifs and "edgy" powers. Not sure what his backstory is, but it probably goes something like "He was a professional assassin, killing for money. Until they went after his family. Now he only kills for revenge"

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    Needs more pouches.
    MORE.

• Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    My son and I have been fighting the call of themed duo's and now my brother is joining us to make some of them a trio. We already have our dino-business men (spines/regen scrappers), our PPD robotic units (Street Justice/? scrappers or Beam Rifle/? Sentinals) and now fish people (I've called The Watermen) who are either Sentinel or Corrupter Water Blast. Next up is a team of three Robotics masterminds who all take different shield secondaries. They all formerly worked at a robotics factory that turned out to be an evil front business so they left and used their expertise to fight back.

Below is my costume for robot summoner (sonic shields) and our two Watermen. Don't have a pick of our PPD bots but they are great. Post it later maybe.

srguecdg5moq.png
    dfzhsbfjsvhu.png
    9psta4ck0pq6.png

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Needs more pouches.
    MORE.

Also, do those guns should have laser sights? Because, if not, they probably should.

Black lasers.

Posted a few more characters in the Screenshots thread.

Also yes, black laser sights are both practical and on brand 90's dark hero types.

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
    (IIRC) Laser sights in comics are always red. Always.

So I created an alt costume based on feedback.
    Now with lasersights and 300% more pouches
    Yq4sEEn.jpg

• Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    Now if you can just figure out how to get that dark aura to form itself into more pouches.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    new patch on the beta shard
    Rage will now only crash if stacked. If the power is stacked, crashes will occur at every expiration until it expires completely.
    Rage crash has been changed to 10 seconds of:
    -999% damage irresistible
    -10 defense irresistible
    -20% resist irresistible
    -20% elusiveness irresistible
    The endurance crash has been removed, the power now instead drains 25 endurance on activation.
    Tanker: Ranged damage modifier increased from 0.5 to 0.8, Melee damage modifier increased from 0.8 to 0.95
    Bruise has been removed in favour of a flat damage scale increase
    Stats

Tanker base endurance has been increased to 120, to reflect the fact that they kill slower, but last longer in combat.
    Tanker damage cap to 600%, this would increase the max Tanker damage potential when grouped.

AoEs

Most Tanker Melee AoE powers have had their target caps increased. Most cones are now 10 target cap. Most PBAoE are now 16 target cap.
    Most Tanker AoE powers now extend to inflict damage and other effects beyond their radius or arcs.

Gauntlet

Is now applied via a global proc. Any single target power that takes accuracy enhancements will trigger an AoE taunt. Every AoE power that takes accuracy enhancements will taunt the enemies it hit.
    Radius is now the same for all attacks (15ft, 5 targets max)
    Taunt scale is now 10% higher than Brute's
    Brute PunchVoke is now also applied via a global proc. Any power that either inflicts damage or takes accuracy enhancements will be able to punch-voke.)

holy SHIT

Crippl3 on
    edited September 2019
    These sound fantastic, I might actually get to play my Tanker again. <3

What's punch-voke?
    [edit] Ah, punch provoke, gotcha.

Glal on
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    WOAH, that rage change. I should really get back to the game and get back to some farming on Natsu, my SS/Fire brute. So awesome.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Very good changes. Also, some details:
    • The damage component of Bruising is being moved to the baseline modifier, so is not a flat damage increase.
    • The damage cap increase is being touted as "making Tankers more Brute-like", but reaching the damage cap is hard even for full farm Brutes eating red inspirations. This only makes it so your teammates buffs aren't a waste on you. Which leads to...
    • If your "class fantasy", to borrow a term, is not doing damage, then is garbage on the first place.
    • Another change is moving the t2 powers to t1 in order to make Tanker builds less ankward.

On the Rage crash, here's a quote from the dev team:
    This is halving the -def debuff and translating that half into -res. The goal being it’s less punishing to defense builds and more equally punishing to all builds.

TryCatcher on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Just logged on for the first time in months. Hows the PA population these days?

:so_raven:
    Sporadic, your best bet is to hit people up on the Discord channel if you want to group with PAers.

People are getting banned for RMT now, lmfao.
    All accounts caught selling have been permanently banned, with no possibility of appeal. All accounts caught buying have been suspended for 2 weeks and had all influence removed from them. A total of 54 accounts have been actioned as part of this ban wave, with over 20 billion influence deleted.

We are now fully capable of tracking down RWT activity going forwards, so we would advise you do not partake in such activities if you wish to continue playing on Homecoming.

Inf is so easy to get now! You can do like 1 TF, buy some enhancement converters, and make millions! Why would you buy it?!?!

Crippl3 wrote: »
    Inf is so easy to get now! You can do like 1 TF, buy some enhancement converters, and make millions! Why would you buy it?!?!

Because wealth isn't about having enough, it's about having more than. If you have the most stuff you are the best person and it is only right and proper that the wastrels and parasites should bow to you.

This is what some people actually believe.

Look, copy/pasting the dictionary entry for capitalism doesn't make you look smart.

Glal wrote: »
    Look, copy/pasting the dictionary entry for capitalism doesn't make you look smart.

You're right. Let me add some thread-relevant content.

ik73kq7m8o3u.png

edited September 2019
    People are getting banned for RMT now, lmfao.
    All accounts caught selling have been permanently banned, with no possibility of appeal. All accounts caught buying have been suspended for 2 weeks and had all influence removed from them. A total of 54 accounts have been actioned as part of this ban wave, with over 20 billion influence deleted.

We are now fully capable of tracking down RWT activity going forwards, so we would advise you do not partake in such activities if you wish to continue playing on Homecoming.

Because that still requieres some know-how, effort and the most valuable thing of all, time. Instead of the nothing that is to go to the PayPal page. There was always going to be an RMT market, and is a good sign, since it means that HC is big enough to bother.

TryCatcher on
    edited September 2019
    So, first off, a new policy for the private server is that now people will not be able to make copyrighted characters:
    Hello!

Today we've issued an update to our Code of Conduct. The key change is that we are no longer allowing characters that use copyrighted materials owned by other companies. This is the same as it was during the retail life of the game - we don't want to draw the ire of Marvel, DC, or other gigantic entities and unnecessarily put Homecoming at risk.

Characters using copyrighted materials will have their name and/or costume reset. You will then be able to select a new name and create a new costume the next time you log in.

- The Homecoming Team

People talk about "this means that the negotiations with NCSoft are going somewhere", but what is likely is that the HC team got a C&D. I've seen far smaller forums getting those, so yeah.

On personal news, unfortunately, I couldn't stand playing my Time/DP Defender since it takes forever to kill anything while solo, but still want a support character. And since my playstyle is also solo'ing a lot, decided to just roll a Corruptor:
    26b82a84aee2f25e8ce1454d5eaad9d1.png
    Water/Dark, everything is Dark Red so it looks like blood. Is pretty awesome. Water Blast is one of the latest sets to be added before shutdown and it shows, you get knockdowns as soft CC to complement Dark Miasma so is overall super safe for a ranged character. Tried Dark Blast earlier, but I found it boring and full of cones, Water has a basic builder/spender mechanic but even that makes it more interesting. Going slowly through Praetoria (again), and having fun with him so far.

TryCatcher on
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    So, first off, a new policy for the private server is that now people will not be able to make copyrighted characters:
    Hello!

Today we've issued an update to our Code of Conduct. The key change is that we are no longer allowing characters that use copyrighted materials owned by other companies. This is the same as it was during the retail life of the game - we don't want to draw the ire of Marvel, DC, or other gigantic entities and unnecessarily put Homecoming at risk.

Characters using copyrighted materials will have their name and/or costume reset. You will then be able to select a new name and create a new costume the next time you log in.

- The Homecoming Team

People talk about "this means that the negotiations with NCSoft are going somewhere", but what is likely is that the HC team got a C&D. I've seen far smaller forums getting those, so yeah.

On personal news, unfortunately, I couldn't stand playing my Time/DP Defender since it takes forever to kill anything while solo, but still want a support character. And since my playstyle is also solo'ing a lot, decided to just roll a Corruptor:
    26b82a84aee2f25e8ce1454d5eaad9d1.png
    Water/Dark, everything is Dark Red so it looks like blood. Is pretty awesome. Water Blast is one of the latest sets to be added before shutdown and it shows, you get knockdowns as soft CC to complement Dark Miasma so is overall super safe for a ranged character. Tried Dark Blast earlier, but I found it boring and full of cones, Water has a basic builder/spender mechanic but even that makes it more interesting. Going slowly through Praetoria (again), and having fun with him so far.

Oh man, all the Hulk clones! I'd say of any IP I've seen the most Hulks. Outside of that I've really only seen the clever spoof/homage types that I think would still count as fair use.

I made a SCUD Disposable Assassin awhile ago but he looked like crap so I deleted him anyway.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    hulk is just the easiest to make; all that character really needs to do is be big and muscular and punchy. Most of marvel's other characters have specific stuff they do that CoX can't really replicate. The exception I guess is wolverine but regen sucks now sooooo

tbh I'm kinda surprised they didn't go with the 'no trademarked characters' policy right from the beginning, just because be more creative you phillistines

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited September 2019
    hulk is just the easiest to make; all that character really needs to do is be big and muscular and punchy. Most of marvel's other characters have specific stuff they do that CoX can't really replicate. The exception I guess is wolverine but regen sucks now sooooo

tbh I'm kinda surprised they didn't go with the 'no trademarked characters' policy right from the beginning, just because be more creative you phillistines
    Favorite opinion about it so far:
    HC Discord wrote:
    imagine, playing city of heroes with a good costume creator
    and you decide to be batman or ironman

TryCatcher on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Heh, when I logged into City of Heroes for the first time, when it was in beta, the first other player I saw was a wolverine clone. Some things never change.

:so_raven:
    Monthly update from the big server (here known as xxx), redacted and formatting cleaned up:
    Hello everyone!

It’s been a month and a half since our last update, so we thought now would be an excellent time to let you all know where we’re at. Today we’re going to be talking about your wishes for the future of the game, what’s next for xxx, and our plans going forward.

Your Feedback
    A few weeks ago we asked one simple question: What do you want to see out of a legitimate, licensed City of Heroes server?

We’ve pored over the first 20 pages of your responses, and this is what we’ve found:
    • New and updated costume options were by far the most frequent answers
    • These were followed by new powers, and then by new content (most commonly new end-game content)
    • There’s a strong desire for us to continue updating older sets to be on-par with newer sets
    • The most popular specific request is, of course, Mastermind customisation (what else would it be?!)
    • Protection from server closure and generally ensuring that xxx (and your characters) stay online is very important to many of you

Issue 26, Page 3
    Now for the exciting bit! We will soon™ begin public testing of Issue 26, Page 3. What is Page 3? Well, I’m glad you asked!

As we don’t have the resources of a full studio behind us, we’re going to be releasing content in smaller chunks (or.. Pages) which are bound together into larger collections / storylines (or.. Issues). Pages 1 & 2 were mainly maintenance & quality of life updates, but 3 is our first major content release. It will include:
    • The Force of Will power pool
    • Two new Story Arcs with branching narratives
    • A bunch of new exploration badges
    And that’s just the beginning. We’ve got a ton more in the pipeline, some of which will positively shock you.

Going Forward
    Our goal, as always, remains the same: To ensure the community can continue playing the game for many years to come without fear of an imminent shut-down. We are also committed to continuing with our 100% free, not-for-profit, donation-driven model.

As part of this, we’re now collaborating not only with The Titan Network, but also the yyy and zzz servers, and it’s our intention to invite more servers to the table in the coming months.

We really do appreciate the community’s patience on this, and we can’t wait to share more with you when the time comes.

That’s all for today. Thank you once again for your continued faith in us!

- The xxx Team

PS: be on the lookout for spooky ghosts.

New content is huge. Hopefully it's good.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    New content is huge. Hopefully it's good.

New content isn't a new thing. The Market Crash Task Force was new content, added in the post-shutdown 'Issue 25'.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    Well yeah, but this is a bit more meaty than that IMO, also the first we've gotten since then.

Is there info on what Force of Will pool will be?