As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PROBLEM: there is a mouse in my subwoofer

TostitosTostitos __BANNED USERS regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so I'm into high end audio, even my computer speakers are Klipsch, which happen to be what I'm talking about now. I have the 5.1 promedias, the ones with a combination subwoofer/ampbox large enough to conceal a dead toddler. There's a narrow vent along the bottom back, and now there's a fuck*ng mouse in it.

It was like a movie, I watched the little fucker skitter along my polished hardwood floor, under my feet, and straight to the back of my sub, where he skittered inside.

My speakers lightly popped once but otherwise seemed unaffected. I have since been trying to drive him out with the bass cranked to 11, after downloading things like "Illegal Outlaw Bass 4: Booty Shake Bass" and shaking the foundation of my house with it. So far this hasn't worked. I don't want the little bastard gnawing on wires, shitting/pissing, or dying in there.

Anyone got any tips? I really don't want to have to open this shit up. Also, skitter is a great word.

The internet gives me a native +2 bonus in Craft (Disturbing Mental Image).
Tostitos on

• Options
    holycrapawalrusholycrapawalrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You've probably already turned his insides to jelly.

holycrapawalrus on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The resilient little bastard is still moving. I can't shake him out, the vent is almost like a trap, it's narrower towards the inside than on the outside.

I'm gonna have lock the sub in a closet so my cat doesn't sit on it yowling constantly for the next 48 hours if I want to have any hope of the little effer crawling out.

Tostitos on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How big are the openings in the subwoofer? Can you fit a vacuum nozzle in there? This could be the perfect time to use that crevice tool that came with your vacuum. Before I moved away for school, I used to live in a house on the edge of a farm field. We used to get field mice skittering in every now and then, and the central vac hose was the weapon of choice for catching them, works like a charm. If the nozzle will fit, just poke around until you hear the "shunk". If you can't get some suction in there, put the sub in the bottom of a cardboard box, and put a standard snap trap with some bait outside the openings. The bastard has to eat eventually, and when we comes out to do so, it's game over.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Is there a frequency that mice can hear but you can't? 'Cause that would be awesome.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I might suggest taking your sub apart with a screwdriver; mice chew on shit constantly and it might be a good idea to see if all of your wires are intact.

Also, you need to post this in SE++; I forsee many jokes.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aren't there ways to lure or force mice out? Like and odor that would make the mouse so disgusted it would run out immediately?

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    take the amp off the back, now, before he chews all 2 wires or so that would be connected to the sub itself..

however big the amp is the hole i usually just a tiny bit smaller, so you will probably have a 1 sq ft cutout, so make sure you actually catch it or something..

seriously sub woofers are extremely simple pieces of electronics assembly wise, just take the back off with a philips screwdriver and you dont even have to disconnect all TWO wires that are connected from the sub to the amp.

Gotcha Force on
  • Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    if you're going to lure them... i was told by the guy i bought our traps from that mice go for peanut butter and chocolate way more than cheese.... and yes, they did go for the peanut butter traps... they didn't get caught, but the peanut butter was gone!

don't be tempted to poison it though... it will go in there to die...we had one die in the radiator on the back of the fridge... not a pleasant sight :|

mice are curious creatures, if you move the sub somewhere new, especially somewhere it might suddenly smell something new and interesting (ie your PB trap) , or see something new... it may well come out to investigate.

also, if your sub is in any way in the middle of the room, it might not come out for fear of being hurt... they like to run along the edges of rooms apparently.

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    Is there a frequency that mice can hear but you can't? 'Cause that would be awesome.

Yes but it is on the other end of the range, one the sub cannot make. You can buy units that plug into a regular outlet and drive mice away.

stigweard on
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    this post made my day. I really hope you figure something out. I second the opinion that you should just crack that bitch open and pull the little bastard out before he destroys your sub. it really shouldn't be too hard to do and should be a low-risk procedure. just be careful not to put excessive force through the cone (or, my favorite, having the screwdriver slip and punch a whole in the cone).

kingmetal on
  • Options
    CatcherCatcher Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Tostitos wrote:

Anyone got any tips? I really don't want to have to open this shit up. Also, skitter is a great word.

Sure, just take a 12 gauge and blow the little bastard's head off; that will fix all your mice problems.

Catcher on
    When the Journeyman testifies a fateless man believes. He can send you into paradise or bring you to your knees.
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fibretip wrote:
    if you're going to lure them... i was told by the guy i bought our traps from that mice go for peanut butter and chocolate way more than cheese.... and yes, they did go for the peanut butter traps... they didn't get caught, but the peanut butter was gone!

don't be tempted to poison it though... it will go in there to die...we had one die in the radiator on the back of the fridge... not a pleasant sight :|

mice are curious creatures, if you move the sub somewhere new, especially somewhere it might suddenly smell something new and interesting (ie your PB trap) , or see something new... it may well come out to investigate.

also, if your sub is in any way in the middle of the room, it might not come out for fear of being hurt... they like to run along the edges of rooms apparently.

The trap is the most humane way to do it, though, and even then it's a gamble.

You should set some traps out, some with peanut butter (they like to grab it and run) and some with cheese, and then open up the sub and scare it out some how.

Alternatively, you can just take the whole thing to a park, open it up, let it go, and be done with it without having to kill the mouse.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I suggest playing Under the Influence by the Chemical Brothers, first quiet and then progressively louder. Put a light near the port so the little guy can see his way out.

Then scream out, "ARMAGEDDON!"

Locust76 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    2ufrkgj.jpg

:shock:

Tostitos on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Little bastard!!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    i am laughing so hard

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    :lol:

I think maybe he likes the vibrations. Kinda like a massage chair, but for rodents. So have you managed to shake him out of there, or is the speaker housing defeating your efforts?

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Next you have to line up some of that ghetto bass and make a video of your little buddy gettin down to some phat beats...

Locust76 on
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Please don't kill the mouse.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Looks like a deer mouse. Watch out for hanta virus. (Unlikely, but still...)

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehsphl/factsheet/hanta.htm

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Please kill the mouse.

I will send you songs with enough bass to do it.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I say after making your wires all protected from the mouse, you let him live in there!

It's hilarious.

It could be some kind of sitcom.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    By hilarious you mean retarded and dangerous right?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Guys, keep it on topic and to the point.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You can either try to force him out with something like loud music or lure him out with something to eat.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Definitely try the peanut butter... those little buggers love the stuff.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I would assume the problem is solved if you opened the sub? If he doesn't want to move, just poke him with a stick or something.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    a vase or something is a good thing to hold them in, the walls should be too sheer for them to grab and too hight to jump out. then you can just walk it to a nearby forest and shot put him out of it.

i did that with 2 mice not too long ago.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Turn your sub upside down and shake it a bit?

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ha ha im in yo sub stealin your bass!!!

Just use some food to lure him out. then find a snake

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png