As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Oh... if you have the ingredients you can just keep eating until you run out of time units?

Uh oh, move aside hobbits, it's time for third, fourth and fifth breakfast.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Yeah, non-stop eating leads to teacher of the year awards.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Chapter 5 question:
    Okay, so this monster is kicking the shit out of me, and Gilbert had never played an FE game before (if you have 15 HP and the enemy can hit you for 9 twice, that means you don't attack it!).
    His death quote has him saying that he's retreating. Is this like, still out of action for good retreating, or can I let him get his dumb ass killed here? I think can handle this thing if I just have people who listen to me, but I've spent all my magic time-resets trying to keep this guy alive and it just isn't working.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Chapter 5 question:
    Okay, so this monster is kicking the shit out of me, and Gilbert had never played an FE game before (if you have 15 HP and the enemy can hit you for 9 twice, that means you don't attack it!).
    His death quote has him saying that he's retreating. Is this like, still out of action for good retreating, or can I let him get his dumb ass killed here? I think can handle this thing if I just have people who listen to me, but I've spent all my magic time-resets trying to keep this guy alive and it just isn't working.
    Feel free to let his dumb ass get killed, it won’t affect anything!

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Chapter 5 question:

Awesome. Thanks!

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Chapter 5 question:

Awesome. Thanks!

Actually, hold on.
    I'm playing Hard/Classic, let him "retreat" in that mission, and never got a "recruit" prompt any time I talked to him hence. If he's recruitable generally, then he might actually be missable that way.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Kupi wrote: »
    Chapter 5 question:

Awesome. Thanks!

Actually, hold on.
    I'm playing Hard/Classic, let him "retreat" in that mission, and never got a "recruit" prompt any time I talked to him hence. If he's recruitable generally, then he might actually be missable that way.
    I played hard classic and let him die and he later joined me; he’s only able to be recruited in Blue Lions and he only joins in Act 2, and you actually don’t get a choice in him joining you. :)

Janson on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Chapter 5 question:

Awesome. Thanks!

Actually, hold on.
    I played hard classic and let him die and he later joined me; he’s only able to be recruited in Blue Lions and he only joins in Act 2, and you actually don’t get a choice in him joining you. :)

I will forever love Gilbert since he saved my lysithea from dying when he was assigned as her adjunct stepping in and blocking the second of a double attack and leaving her at like 1 hp

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Chapter 5 question:

Awesome. Thanks!

Actually, hold on.

I managed to get him though it alive on my last try. Mainly by going back and sticking Petra right in front so it couldn't go for Gilbert right off. It left Petra relying on a 40% hit chance, but she could have taken it. She didn't need to.
    In the end in was Lindhart my healer who finished it off with a crit (I was trying to soften him up enough for Petra to kill, thinking the exp would be a way to say sorry for using her as a distraction, but hey ho).
    That mission would have gone a lot easier if I hadn't used most of my gambits on the way to the boss.
    Now Rhea's all "this is a just punishment from the goddess for daring to be born without a special tattoo", and Edelgard seems to be sounding me out for what I'm guessing is a move to wreck the church's shit. Hell yes I'm in. I guess that means I'll be killing Gilbert later on anyway.

• Options
    Aw damnit, I gave Dancer certification to Dorothea because the class would be pretty good on her, but I thought the 20 avoid /w swords passive was part of the class and not a separate permanent reward for clearing it. If I did, I would have given it to Petra instead and let her just become totally unhittable forevermore amen

Guess that will be a goal for NG+.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Making Petra a Dancer and then switching her off to a good class has been a great decision for me in consecutive runs. She readily runs around with no more than a fifteen percent chance of being hit and then Alert Stance(+) I think has always guaranteed that number hits zero.

I also managed to have a guaranteed chance to crit an enemy bless monsters having zero luck. War Master is such a stupid class when combined with anything related to it.

butts
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    So I'm just about to finish my NG+ blue lions run. I've been procrastinating and just leveling the hell out of Blyeth. My MC now has mastered every class and minimum A rank in most subjects. S+ swords and flag skill which slips my mind right now.

Should start up my GD run soon to see how all that goes. Wondering if I bother recruiting everyone to my house this time around. Maybe just Dorothea.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    i started playing fates:conquest again after bouncing off that game repeatedly because I need a break from playing three houses for the third time
    it turns out the QoL UI changes and divine pulse are really really nice additions to the game, but also it is refreshing playing a fire emblem that is hard even if it is hard because half of your crew get 80% accuracy even with weapon triangle advantage and they gave you a character who just permanently has a 1-5% chance to be crit and instantly die

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Enjoying my Blue Lions NG+ so far. Mostly learning the "economy" of renown in NG+ in preparation for harder difficulties.

Spoilered for just first 4 months:
    I was super sneaky and built characters so they could pickpocket the Dark Seal from DK in month 4.
    I got Felix to 10 for Thief and then mastered soldier on Dmitri for Reposition so I could steal it and then move Felix out of aggro range.

I was so proud of myself...

...then I realized all my mages were girls.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yaaaaaaassssss, now I don't need to hook my Wii U up to play TMS#FE :3

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Now all I need is a Xenoblade Chronicles X port and I can put my Wii U back in the closet.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Now all I need is a Xenoblade Chronicles X port and I can put my Wii U back in the closet.

I actually managed to finish that one, so I think I'm good? At least with titles I regret not beating

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    You fuckers better buy 50 copies each so we can get a sequel, or else

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    You fuckers better buy 50 copies each so we can get a sequel, or else

I'll buy the next FE game, but not whatever TMS#FE was.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    TMS is a fantastic JRPG. Just fantastic.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Wow Rapier+ is such a brokenass weapon, how did it make it in like this? As much damage as Killing Edge+ with half the weight, almost twice the durability, only needs E rank swords, costs jack all to repair, and double damage against both armor and cavalry. Swordmaster Byleth just kind of saunters in and just lays out the entire battlefield.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    They let Rapier+ go through but they also let Warmaster and Wyvern Lord through and those aren't exactly fair either.

butts
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Wow Rapier+ is such a brokenass weapon, how did it make it in like this? As much damage as Killing Edge+ with half the weight, almost twice the durability, only needs E rank swords, costs jack all to repair, and double damage against both armor and cavalry. Swordmaster Byleth just kind of saunters in and just lays out the entire battlefield.

Haha okay good, it’s not just me who finds rapier+ ridiculously overpowered!

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I feel like most games had a decent Rapier for the Lord?

• Options

Yeah, I had the Rapier+ on my Assassin Petra in my Black Eagles run and I now have on Byleth in my Golden Deer run. It's ridiculously good and easy to make and repair. Seems like you can only get one copy per run though.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    This discussion is taking me back to the Rapier and the Wolf Biel

Maaaaaan. The Wolf Biel was the real workhorse of that game depending on your route

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Maz- wrote: »

Yeah, I had the Rapier+ on my Assassin Petra in my Black Eagles run and I now have on Byleth in my Golden Deer run. It's ridiculously good and easy to make and repair. Seems like you can only get one copy per run though.
    There's an extra one in a Golden Deer paralogue.

Edit - now that I'm thinking about it, it's possible that I'm thinking of Wo Dao.

Jookie on
    butts
  • Options
    "No no, don't tell them what they need to hear, tell them what they want to hear."

You call this an advice box

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    "No no, don't tell them what they need to hear, tell them what they want to hear."

You call this an advice box

Well, you can tell them what they need to hear, but they're not necessarily going to like you for it.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    There, I have finally beaten Three Houses (Crimson Flower route). I'll have to start a new game+ with Blue Lions next.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Hmmm...definitely need to find a couple of meat shields to recruit on my initial Black Eagle run...Byleth and a bunch of glass cannons has me leaning hard on Divine Pulse to make it through most fights without Pyric victories.

In fun news though, my Black Eagle Switch carrying case and screen protector arrive from Amazon tomorrow, then I'll be able to grind 2-3 hours a day on my commute to and from work and really strat making head way on this and The Last Remnant remaster.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Hmmm...definitely need to find a couple of meat shields to recruit on my initial Black Eagle run...Byleth and a bunch of glass cannons has me leaning hard on Divine Pulse to make it through most fights without Pyric victories.

In fun news though, my Black Eagle Switch carrying case and screen protector arrive from Amazon tomorrow, then I'll be able to grind 2-3 hours a day on my commute to and from work and really strat making head way on this and The Last Remnant remaster.

Caspar is the meatiest of meat shields and you don't even need to recruit him since he's already Black Eagles :3 Seriously that dude is nuts.

I hear Raphael is good too tho didn't play around with him much

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

Edel makes a great fortress knight. Unlocking Ferdinand's heavy armor budding talent makes him a very strong front line unit too.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Edelgard is probably the best tank in the game

• Options
    I didn't have a real tank during my Crimson Flower run until late-game with Edelgard in her unique class and Ferdinand as a Great Knight (and even then, his defense wasn't all that great) and I was totally fine.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Is it worth having every physical unit train axes a bit to unlock Brigand for Death Blow? Or is that overkill?

Similarly, should every caster be a Mage for Fiendish Blow?

Should every female unlock Pegasus Knight for Darting Blow?

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, I've put all my spellcasters through Mage (even if I plan on putting them into Bishop) for Fiendish Blow over Miracle. And the lesser experience to Faith isn't really noticeable as you can generally heal every turn anyway, meaning there's no shortage of skill growth. The small boost to Reason even ends up being preferable for my healers.

I've also gone Fighter -> Brigand -> Fortress Knight for Edelgard and Dedue, as Armoured Blow isn't super useful and they both had high enough defence to perform tanking duties well in that middle stage. (You can let them pass the Armoured Knight exam at level 10 for a boost to defence, but in both my runs they had already outpaced the class's base stats so it wasn't actually helpful). I don't know if I'd put every physical unit through Brigand though. That's... a little limiting. There're a number of maps where I don't know what I would've done without a couple Cavaliers. And while Death Blow is great, I've never missed not having it on someone.

Archers I tend to go Soldier (for Reposition) -> Archer (+20% Hit) -> Paladin -> Bow Knight. Riders get straight Soldier -> Cavalier -> Paladin. Gentlemen Fliers I do put through Brigand in preparation for Wyvern Rider. And I get one Thief (for Steal) but locktouch isn't really needed in this game with the availability of keys.

Darting Blow I never equip. It's rare that I'll put my units into a position where they'll need to dodge, and never on the attack. (And generally I find it good for units to take a bit of damage to keep your healers working every turn. Actually, I don't even equip Vantage any more, as it never gets used. But that's my playstyle - I've always much preferred a General who will survive as a lure while taking known amounts of damage over a Swordmaster who will probably dodge everything but might take one hit and die. Alert Stance has changed that a bit, in that Petra could get guaranteed 0% hit rates in my Black Eagle run, but Darting Blow doesn't help that.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Darting Blow doesn't help with dodge, since it only buffs Attack Speed, not the stat SPD.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    KirbyMastah, a speedrunner who occasionally runs Fire Emblem games, dropped an interesting factoid on his stream: based on tracking 30,000 data points (so he says, at least), the rate at which reported accuracy differs from actual accuracy tracks with the 2RN system. SerenesForest has an article on 2RN here, but the gist of it is that the game actually rolls two random numbers, averages them, and then compares them to the target accuracy to determine if it hits. This has the effect of skewing hit rates above 50% higher and hit rates below 50% lower. So you can have more confidence in that 80% hit chance than... well, 80%, I guess.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Darting Blow doesn't help with dodge, since it only buffs Attack Speed, not the stat SPD.
    Avoid factors in attack speed though and not speed.

butts
This discussion has been closed.