As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I don't think any of them are out yet. Reach, or atleast a section of it, is in early access or was. I don't know yet, but it wasn't being widely distributed. There's no listed date for PC MCC other than "2019" but it can't be too far off.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I couldn't glean the answer to the following from looking at Google search results so I figured I'd ask it here:

Approximately how much Halos could I play right now on PC via game pass? Is it all of them?

It is none of them

Reach is being tested with select beta testers but that's it.

Also, they're testing and releasing each game individually.

So it's

Test Halo reach
    Release Halo Reach

Then it moves onto the same process for Halo CE until they're done with Halo 4.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I couldn't glean the answer to the following from looking at Google search results so I figured I'd ask it here:

Approximately how much Halos could I play right now on PC via game pass? Is it all of them?

It is none of them

So it's

Test Halo reach
    Release Halo Reach

This isn't quite right.

There is a Halo that can be played right now regardless of Game Pass: Halo 5 Forge. Basically, it's Halo 5's map editor that also lets you run custom matches.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Fair enough

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Also 1 and 2

And 3's multiplayer if you squint really hard

mRahmani on
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »

It is none of them

So it's

Test Halo reach
    Release Halo Reach

This isn't quite right.

There is a Halo that can be played right now regardless of Game Pass: Halo 5 Forge. Basically, it's Halo 5's map editor that also lets you run custom matches.

also Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike. and Halo Wars DE and Halo Wars 2. but i appreciate that spin-offs might not scratch the right itch.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Cross posting from toy thread:
    Oh my God I need this
    https://1000toys.jp/detail.aspx?goto=product290
    u1x9g4jr1ki2.png

Eh, looks waaaay too smooth and textureless. Looks more like a model from the original Xbox game up-rezzed way up with a ton of texture smoothing applied, instead of a model of Master Chief. Too anime-like, really.

That's the point, but to each their own

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ah, if it's supposed to look like that, then mission accomplished, it looks good.

I just really can't envision the Chief in anything but battle-worn armor, seeing as the longest we've seen him going without fighting is right as Halo 2 starts, I think. And then right after he gets his new armor, he's tossed into extended heavy combat.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I'm very glad they went back to chonky boi armor.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah people were losing their shit over this new shiny, but I honestly enjoyed Square Enix's Play Arts Kai more. I know some really don't like 4/5's suit designs but personally I think they're cool as fuck

I like all the designs, but I'm particularly fond of the chonky boy armor from the first game. They kinda rekindled that look in Reach and it's why that's one of my favorites. Like, Master Chief is fucking huge but you don't always get that sense when playing as him. But in Reach you see Jorge is like, 2 ft taller than the other Spartans.

I can easily say 5 is my least favorite design but it's still pretty rad

Tbh I just want a more simple aesthetic for the custom armors in whatever Infinite ends up being. I think a lot the 4/5 armors look very busy, which isn't always bad, but I like the streamlined look of the older armors.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'd like to see a contrast between Chief's armor and the newer Spartans. I think it's fairly appropriate for the Spartan IVs like Locke and Palmer to have more complex machinery (hers especially is super cool I just like the color scheme and the silhouette) - but it would make more visual sense for Master Chief's armor to be simpler and more blunt, to evoke a look from a different era of technology for their time

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Cross posting from toy thread:
    Oh my God I need this
    https://1000toys.jp/detail.aspx?goto=product290
    u1x9g4jr1ki2.png

Eh, looks waaaay too smooth and textureless. Looks more like a model from the original Xbox game up-rezzed way up with a ton of texture smoothing applied, instead of a model of Master Chief. Too anime-like, really.

I like the armor, but I don't like the helmet. I've never really warmed up to the original Spartan armor helmet from Combat Evolved, the modification is probably one of my favorite artistic decisions in Halo 2.

But, as noted, that's completely a matter of personal taste. Even if it's not "CHUNKY BOI", I like the armor changes in Halo 4 and Halo 5 because I actually prefer the cues they clearly took from Shiro Masamune and Shinji Aramaki's work in Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, and other properties featuring high-mobility infantry power armor. Also, I was always annoyed by armor mesh clipping, which stopped being an issue in 4 more or less. Amazing a game as it was, I remember not liking the Verhoeven Starship Troopers aesthetic it had, and was glad they moved away from it.

The only poseable figures I own are, in fact, from Solid State Society and Appleseed, so I can't really weigh in, but the actual build quality looks very good.

Synthesis on
    The thing is, Spartan armor takes a lot of cues from astronaut space suits. While I love Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed too, that's not the kind of armor I think of when I think "space warrior" necessarily.

Yeah, Spartans are tank infantry, not black ops. And even in GitS there are some very tanky armor designs, they're just reserved for characters that know they're going to be taking hits (as opposed to the people in the squad, who do most of their work in plain clothes and almost all the rest of their work via stealth and skill). And those tanky characters usually can take some big hits as opposed to the likes of the Major, whose repeatedly loses parts to single hits.

Spartan armor looks better when it looks like it's meant to take shots and keep going, not like it's going to be propelling soldiers around in 60-foot anime-style leaps.

Yeah, Spartans are tank infantry, not black ops. And even in GitS there are some very tanky armor designs, they're just reserved for characters that know they're going to be taking hits (as opposed to the people in the squad, who do most of their work in plain clothes and almost all the rest of their work via stealth and skill). And those tanky characters usually can take some big hits as opposed to the likes of the Major, whose repeatedly loses parts to single hits.

Spartan armor looks better when it looks like it's meant to take shots and keep going, not like it's going to be propelling soldiers around in 60-foot anime-style leaps.

That's why I thought Halo 5 was a very good compromise--frankly, it looks kind of silly when you see "very tanky" armor mantling or using Titanfall-style dashing. But the vast majority of armor in 5 still has large, armored portions over an formfitting suit. Were we still in 1, 2 or 3, with no ability to sprint, or for that matter mantling or boosting, it'd be more appropriate, but with a magnitude more mobility, it makes less sense and looks worse.

But that also comes down to a preference of the control and movement style. Not everyone likes the gameplay style of Titanfall either, nor wants it in Halo if they do.

Putting that aside, I don't like the original helmet because the visor is so big, and really doesn't look like it could take hits--we've had a very gradual shift that's corrected that from game to game though.

For fast, bulky Spartans, I like the old Air Force Maxim, with enough thrust, you can make a brick fly.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I never thought the old MJOLNIR looked very tanky. Like, it does look solid, well armored, but I always thought the armor looked like they put a lot of emphasis on ensuring that your freedom of movement was unrestricted and that they didn't go overboard with the weight of the armor plating.

edited September 2019
    "Tanky" seems complimentary. I always described it as clumsy and awkward, which you can see from the armor clipping (which was much worse in the earlier games), or if you know anyone who cosplays Spartans. I've never complained about the weight, just the actual physical awkwardness that I'm glad they solved progressively in games. It's hard to describe, but the actual physical form of the Spartan, including John, feels much more real in later games for that reason--when he can actually reach over his shoulder without clipping into his backplate, and so forth. But it's not something everyone cares about.
    For fast, bulky Spartans, I like the old Air Force Maxim, with enough thrust, you can make a brick fly.

Also from the Air Force: with good enough chemistry, anything can tank a bullet.

Synthesis on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So is the PC version of this out yet?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    So is the PC version of this out yet?

No. Testing flights were stalled after they found some pretty serious bugs in Reach.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    After the grumbling when Reach first appeared in XB1 BC, I can see why they'd take their time.

To be fair, while Reach was playable even on the first day, it was still a huge (and probably unacceptable) gap from where we are with every other Xbox 360 Halo title through BC today.

This picture is huge, but it's my favorite of Master Chief. It's what I meant by the space suit motif, and it also reinforces just how freaking huge Spartans are.

https://content.halocdn.com/media/Default/community/blogs/master-chief-awakening-uncompressed-98381532fb65400294d0bce81a43250a.png

edited September 2019
    I like it. Looking at his waistline, which is kind of wide as a matter of perspective, the armor doesn't look nearly as bulky and awkward, he just looks huge as a person in general.

His backpack plating being open (and clearly lower profile were it closed) is a nice touch. Much. much more of the under-armor layer exposed than in the poseable figure.

Synthesis on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Remember that article that went around a while back about some tall games media guy who wasn't allowed to take photos next to a Master Chief standee because he made the statue look too small?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    That sounds fucking hilarious, I need to find that

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    While looking for the BREAKPOINT trailer, I came across the HALO: Infinite trailer, which I didn't know was a thing from E3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=farrIIzDW2s

It takes too long to get to the point, but the ending is quite good.

Halos and Master Chiefs and cute dads and cute sads

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Anybody else in the PC Insider test this weekend? Would be fun to have some dudes to play with.

Ran through Winter Contingency last night and it looks really good! Plays smooth too. GTX1060 running at 2160x1440, 60fps.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Master Chief doesn't care about your need for food and drink.

Or air.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Halo: Reach PC launch date has been set.

Winter Contingency begins...December 3rd.

Looking forward to some disgustingly hi-res screenshots of Reach, because even with its older models that game is still gorgeous.

Bring on the Reshaders!

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I bet Reach will look great on the One X.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
    edited November 2019
    Oh hey, and lookit that. Halo: MCC preorder went live on Steam: $39.99 for the entire saga (or a la carte at $9.99 for Reach, and $39.99 for each Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 3: ODST)

Erlkönig on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    IIRC Reach's model fidelity was waaaaaaaaay better than the previous stuff.

Something that always throws me off a bit when I go back to CE is that the plasma pistol isn't the plasma pistol, it's the fusion pistol from Marathon, sorta. Like not exactly, of course, it's got the tracking and all, but it deals a lot more health damage than it does in other games of the series. It's not just for stripping shields, you can just spam overcharge bolt after overcharge bolt and slay quite effectively. The tracking goes way beyond red reticule range as well so it's good for long range as well. Before that last minute change to make the M6D super good, I think it was probably meant to be a workhorse weapon in the way the fusion pistol in marathon was.
    Between the plasma pistol, the originally weaker magnum, the way the AR in CE is super similar to the Marathon AR's primary fire, and the cut flamethrower, I think that for a lot of development CE was meant to be a lot more of a direct evolution of Marathon.

I can't wait to punch my disc into a fine powder and vigorously snort it again

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Friendly reminder, Reach comes out tomorrow!

I'm looking forward to playing through it again. It'll look gorgeous.

Arteen on