As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SSD help

RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
Ok, I recently got a new SSD for my PC. I have all my stuff on my 1TB HDD including my OS Windows 7 Ultimate. It is not partitioned in any way, all the stuff including the OS are all together. The SSD is a 500GB Samsung, so it can't fit all the old drive. How would I get the/a OS onto the SSD and set it up to run the OS from the SSD to speed up the boot up process while still having both drives in the PC and being able to pull info from the HDD? I have never installed a SSD drive into an existing system that currently has a drive with an existing OS. Any help? I have tried using the Samsung wizard, but it wants to try an jam the whole 900GB onto the 500GB SSD, which obviously won't fit. Thanks.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    You need a place to move the excess data from your 1 TB drive to, so that the space used is less than the max capacity of the SSD. You could perhaps just get an external USB drive for that, then afterwards you can use it for backup.

The alternative it to install Windows from scratch on the SSD, like if you where building up a new computer.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Ok. So if I were to disconnect the main HDD then boot up with my OS disk in the pc it should run the OS install on to the SSD right? After that how do I get it to run the SSD for booting up but still have the 1TB HDD connected for use as the main file drive. The main thing I want on the SSD right now is the OS and a handful of files for quick boot up and quick running of those programs, while still having the HDD connected for the holding and use of less used programs.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Change your BIOS settings so the SSD is first in the boot order.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Change your BIOS settings so the SSD is first in the boot order.

Right. That makes sense. Not sure why I didn't recall that. Been a rough couple weeks. Thanks. =)