As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

College Football: Da Coach O is a Superspreader

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I care about SCar, but not enough to expect anything of them only to be disappointed every year.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And Penn State now has a football scandal that doesn't involve Sandusky:
    Lynch was named the team’s orthopedic physician in 2013 and then director of athletic medicine a year later. In his lawsuit, Lynch said he reported to higher-ups that “on multiple and repeated occasions, defendant James Franklin attempted to interfere with the plaintiff’s autonomous authority to determine medical management and return-to-play decisions related to student-athletes.” The lawsuit added that Franklin “created a culture and climate which, at a minimum, obstructed full compliance” with the independence team doctors are supposed to have.

Lynch made these reports to Dr. Kevin P. Black, currently the interim dean of the College of Medicine, to Penn State’s “athletic integrity officer” Robert Boland, to athletic director Sandy Barbour, and senior associate athletic director Charmelle Green, according to the complaint. On or around Jan. 24 of this year, per the lawsuit, Barbour and Green told Black that “the plaintiff be relieved from his assignment as the Intercollegiate Athletics Team Orthopedic Physician for the Penn State University Football Team and Director of Athletic Medicine for Penn State University.”

This should end Franklin's career, but seeing that DJ Durkin is a desperate team away from a new job, that won't happen.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    A football coach interfering with medical care for athletes? Why I never

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    And Penn State now has a football scandal that doesn't involve Sandusky:
    Lynch was named the team’s orthopedic physician in 2013 and then director of athletic medicine a year later. In his lawsuit, Lynch said he reported to higher-ups that “on multiple and repeated occasions, defendant James Franklin attempted to interfere with the plaintiff’s autonomous authority to determine medical management and return-to-play decisions related to student-athletes.” The lawsuit added that Franklin “created a culture and climate which, at a minimum, obstructed full compliance” with the independence team doctors are supposed to have.

Lynch made these reports to Dr. Kevin P. Black, currently the interim dean of the College of Medicine, to Penn State’s “athletic integrity officer” Robert Boland, to athletic director Sandy Barbour, and senior associate athletic director Charmelle Green, according to the complaint. On or around Jan. 24 of this year, per the lawsuit, Barbour and Green told Black that “the plaintiff be relieved from his assignment as the Intercollegiate Athletics Team Orthopedic Physician for the Penn State University Football Team and Director of Athletic Medicine for Penn State University.”

This should end Franklin's career, but seeing that DJ Durkin is a desperate team away from a new job, that won't happen.

I'm going to ask at work tomorrow about professional opinions about the guy (I work for Ortho/Sports Med for a D1 school, not PSU), but said doctor's care of PSU athletes was basically the reason Tommy Stevens transferred, and PSU has had other cases where the athletes were misdiagnosed or had pretty bad outcomes under this guy. Stevens had such bad treatment he wound up going outside the University and refused to be seen by Lynch. Add on Shane Simmons parents being very outspoken supporting Franklin's treatment of him during his injuries as soon as this story hit, and I would take it with a huge grain of salt.

The other real hinky thing, is he's also only asking for $50k for his wrongful termination. That is a laughably low amount to be asking for the position he was in, and screams to me that he wants a little bit to just be quiet and go away, but knows he doesn't have a real case in court over everything. There was hypothetically a surgeon who had a patient die because he botched the procedure, tried to blame a resident to avoid M&M inquiry, got found out, and dismissed, and still walked away with a 7 figure severance payout. The fact that this guy wants what is probably less than a sixth of his annual salary is not exactly proclaiming strong confidence in his being wrongfully terminated.

Mvrck on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    He’s still employed by PSU and probably better off professionally being able to focus on his practice in Hershey...the $50k sounds like just enough to cover legal stuff so he can bring to light something he sees as wrong vs curing actual damages...

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    He’s still employed by PSU and probably better off professionally being able to focus on his practice in Hershey...the $50k sounds like just enough to cover legal stuff so he can bring to light something he sees as wrong vs curing actual damages...

I am not 100% sure on how HSM operates because they have a weird quasi-private thing vs my universities hospital system, but there is no self run practice the same way a private doctor operates, for us. Everything is run through the universities systems, and then budgeted back. You also don't really get to be a team doc unless you're a rock star prospect that is expected to rise through the ranks for higher positions. In Lynch's case, it looks like he does a lot of Residency associate work, so he may be/have been on track for a residency directorship at some point (current director looks like he has about 12 years on him).

But, if you actually read through the report, he's claiming the damages are for his loss of revenue for losing the position, and for loss of standing in the orthopaedic community, etc. Now he does also say further damages as the court sees fit, so maybe this is just the first shot and expects more from the judge?

I'll wait to see what other details come out, but for what I know in and around the program through back channels, there has been an opposite sentiment that Franklin keeps people out too long, not the other way around. Coupled with Stevens and Ellison Jordan's most notably, but even going back to people like Adam Brenneman, we've had a string of players who have lost their careers to injuries since Lynch took over...only to find outside treatment and go play elsewhere. When one of them comes forward and says that Franklin pressured them into playing too soon, I'll start to consider it a bit more.

Does it stretch believe that the team surgeon, who messed up multiple players treatment badly enough that they sought outside doctors - one of them being the heir apparent QB who goes on to transfer citing the poor medical treatment as a primary reason for leaving - may just be also trying to cover his own ass? Of course, none of that precludes Franklin being unprofessional or saying something dumb, or reaching out to find out a players status when he shouldn't have. Both things can in fact be true and Franklin would be in the wrong, but it kinda goes against basically his whole shtick and has current players and families coming out in support of him.

Well that hurt and we're laughing about how comically bad it ended.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Probably going to be one of only a couple wins for Georgia state, but good for them.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I'm by no means a die-hard SCar fan, but seeing Tennessee get f'ed put a smile on my face

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I'm by no means a die-hard SCar fan, but seeing Tennessee get f'ed put a smile on my face

As a Kentucky fan I instinctively laughed and cheered when it came on the TV.

vRyue2p.png
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Ohio state is getting love in the polls and evidently the new qb is a stud? I expected a couple years of decline after urban left.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Week 1 in the books, time to overreact!

steam_sig.png
  • lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    It's been 4 days and I'm still dumbfounded over the Purdue-Nevada game.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    It may be slightly mean spirited but I kind of like how ESPN and everyone is praising Bo Nix for his game winning touchdown and ignoring what got them to needing a last second touchdown to win.
    His stats were abysmal
    If anything the AU defense won the game by keeping Oregon from running up the score. (And they did so with 20 more solo tackles than Alabama got in their wallop against Duke and 10 more tackles total. Also triple the sacks for more than double the yards loss)

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
    Our terrible QB at South Carolina is going to be out with a foot injury and nobody here is sad at all. Putting in a true freshman.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    WEEK 2: PLEASE BE AWARE OF ANY FOOTBALLS THAT MAY LEAVE THE PLAYING AREA

Straight-Up (spread in parenthesis courtesy of ESPN)
    #25 Nebraska (-3.5) @ Colorado - The return of an old rivalry, although this is decidedly more one-sided in its hate. Colorado fans considered Nebraska to be its biggest rival for the longest time (though they have recently let hate for Utah into their hearts) while Nebraska had a bigger hate-boner for Oklahoma. Both teams leaving the Big 12 seemed to put a temporary end to the rivalry, so at least we get to see its return, just in time for Scott Frost Day! I'm not sure if this will be a good game; Nebraska did not look particularly good last week, and Colorado has been known to get real ass-y when it wants to be. So we'll see.

San Diego State @ UCLA (-7.5) - Really making me do this, huh? Sigh....

So, as has been previously discussed, I do write about UCLA on the side. I mean, I really write a ton about them. And considering how bad UCLA looked in its opening game, that has become a bit of an unfun thing to do. And yet this looks like an eminently winnable game to help the Bruins get back on track before *checks notes* oh no not Oklahoma oh god who made this schedule.

Brigham Young @ Tennessee (-3.5) - I know we're all collectively supposed to be wary of the old men playing football for BYU but lol Tennessee lost to Georgia State last week and is still favored in this game what is wrong with people. Y'all watched the two Tennessee defenders take each other out on Georgia State's final TD run, right? That was that good shit that I've been missing all offseason.

#6 LSU (-6.5) @ #9 Texas - Here it is: the final test of whether TEXAS IS BACK or is just merely good. It's one thing to win a NY6 bowl game against a disinterested SEC team; hell, Utah did the same thing. But winning an early-season battle against a good LSU team with playoff aspirations of their own would be the kind of victory that would signal that Texas is, truly, back. LSU, meanwhile, would be making noise of their own with a victory, even though their road to the playoffs still runs through a small man in Alabama.

#25 Stanford @ Southern California (NO LINE) - Southern Cal's original starting QB, JT Daniels, is done for the season. Stanford's original starting QB, KJ Costello, looks to be out for this game with a concussion. Clay Helton absolutely needs to win this game to still have any chance to finish the season employed (he has almost 0 shot of keeping it after the season). David Shaw absolutely needs to win this game to continue the idea of Stanford still being among the conference's elite. This game could be a nightmare to watch and I am so excited for it.

Against the Spread
    Cincinnati @ #5 Ohio State (-16.5) - The Bearcats won by 10 against UCLA last week despite UCLA QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson gifting the Bearcats 4 turnovers, including two fumbles where DTR was untouched. Ohio State, meanwhile, let everyone know that Justin Fields is, in fact, a good quarterback. Cincinnati would love to keep this game close just to prove that last year was no fluke, while Ohio State would like this to be a blowout to let everyone know that the program won't immediately tailspin now that human trash pile Urban Meyer is no longer in charge.

Army @ #7 Michigan (-22.5) - Army took Oklahoma to overtime last year. Have fun thinking about that, Wolverines!

Southern Mississippi @ Mississippi State (-16.5) - Welcome to another exciting edition of America's favorite game show: "Lines that seem way too high considering what two teams are involved". Mississippi State will probably be fine, but this team only beat the Ragin Cajuns by 10 at home last week. But Southern Miss is rebuilding, despite what a pasting of Alcorn State might lead you to believe, so who knows.

California @ #14 Washington (-13.5) - Cal won this game last year because Washington was capping off its final year of pretending Jake Browning was a good quarterback. Now the Huskies have an actual good quarterback in Georgia transfer Jacob Eason, which is good because their defense is replacing almost everyone. Meanwhile, Cal had one of the best defenses and worst offenses in the country last year. Guess what is supposed to get even better/worse this year?

GAME OF THE CENTURY OF THE WEEK (AGAINST THE SPREAD)
    #12 Texas A&M @ #1 Clemson (-17.5) - If you're the defending national champion and won said game while beating Alabama so bad that they thought a fake field goal would help their cause, then you get your important game moved into the GOTCOTW slot. Sorry, but I don't make the rules. Jimbo Fisher is in year two of his Great College Station Griftathon, so he'd really like to keep this one close on the final score just to give him an extra three years of security with the locals. Meanwhile, if you told Dabo how much Fisher makes, he'd grit his teeth and tell you how Fisher earned every cent of it, and then follow that up with a 15 minute soliloquy on why his players do not deserve that money. This is the first of two mild inconveniences in a row for Auburn with a lake, as they'll have to travel to Syracuse next week, and then it's smooth sailing until they dick-trip against Wake Forest or something.

Go here to enter your choices: https://forms.gle/XvsVaYYs9Hku7W1K6

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    TTODewback wrote: »
    It may be slightly mean spirited but I kind of like how ESPN and everyone is praising Bo Nix for his game winning touchdown and ignoring what got them to needing a last second touchdown to win.
    His stats were abysmal
    If anything the AU defense won the game by keeping Oregon from running up the score. (And they did so with 20 more solo tackles than Alabama got in their wallop against Duke and 10 more tackles total. Also triple the sacks for more than double the yards loss)

On his TD before that, Oregon completely fucked their substitution, where the guy covering the left most receiver ran off the field and no one shifted over, so he was completely uncovered (call a timeout idiots!). All Bo had to do was take the snap and calmly throw from a stand still to a wide open receiver.

He still almost overthrew him.

He did completely overthrow a wide open receiver in the first half that had snuck behind the defense into the end zone.

He was...really not good. Fortunate Oregon managed to outblunder him really.

Pellaeon on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Chip Kelly still trying to makeThompson-Robinson a thing?

Fu-

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I already picked in the form, I’m just putting this here so I remember how I picked later

Straight-Up
    Nebraska @ Colorado
    San Diego State @ California-Los Angeles
    Brigham Young @ Tennessee
    Louisiana State @ Texas
    Stanford @ Southern California

Against the Spread
    Cincinnati @ Ohio State (-16.5)
    Army @ Michigan (-22.5)
    Southern Mississippi @ Mississippi State (-16.5)
    California @ Washington (-13.5)

Game of the Week (AGAINST THE SPREAD)
    Texas A&M @ Clemson (-17.5)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Posting for posterity

Straight-Up
    Nebraska @ Colorado
    San Diego State @ California-Los Angeles
    Brigham Young @ Tennessee
    Louisiana State @ Texas
    Stanford @ Southern California

Against the Spread
    Cincinnati @ Ohio State (-16.5)
    Army @ Michigan (-22.5)
    Southern Mississippi @ Mississippi State (-16.5)
    California @ Washington (-13.5)

Game of the Week (AGAINST THE SPREAD)
    Texas A&M @ Clemson (-17.5)

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Huh, Mizzou looking decent against WV, course we looked nice in the 1st quarter last week too, before giving up 27 pts in a quarter...to Wyoming

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    SCar did well with our true freshman replacement QB! against Charleston Southern

Alabama next week ;;

In retrospect, Michigan (-22.5) was a line nobody in their right mind would take

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    In retrospect, Michigan (-22.5) was a line nobody in their right mind would take

This was true Friday. Even a relentless homer like myself took Army in the pick 'em. Easy money.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Oh fuck me I’m dumb

I saw “Louisiana State” and thought it was the Ragin Cajuns and not, yknow, LSU.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Wow those are some ugly uniforms Sparty.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Sparty alternates are always hideous.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The lightning storm at the husky game is ridiculous. Never seen so many strikes in my life

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Jesus.

Whoever decided neon glow green was the best match for an MSU uniform ought to be taken out back and forced to wear it.

Kind of figured we were going to get our heads handed to us- strangely, 51 - 17 wasn't the worst I'd had in mind. It was a pipe dream we were going to win this one, we'll try against Georgia State next week and see how we do before we buckle down for conference play. 17 points for an unranked team against MSU is something I'll take, and let's face it, 51 points is only impressive when you do it against a team who ought to rightly give you a challenge instead of an in-state cupcake you need to make you look good in the papers.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    Western's secondary is rooooooooough.

Goumindong wrote: »
    The lightning storm at the husky game is ridiculous. Never seen so many strikes in my life

NWS says something like 1300 strikes in Western Washington tonight.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Oh man, UCF won 48-14 against FAU. Can't wait to see how many spots they drop in the AP this week.

sig.gif
    Eh, I have confidence Wassink will get us to a decent finish this year. Still need to look to see who we play (and where Western/Central is this year), but even if parts of our team suck, I can always reflect on one simple fact:

We're NEVER going to be forced into neon snot green-colored uniforms like the Spartans. We may only be a MAC team, but even we've got limits.

Yeah, and now everyone's hyping up MSU as the best thing to come out of mid-Michigan since Kellogg's made Corn Flakes- mostly because Army took the Wolverines to 2OT before they finally lost.

I still have a lot of confidence, parts of the team needing work is just a thing that happens ever season.

steam_sig.png
    Central is terrrrrrrrrrible, y'all should crush them wherever they play. I'd be more afraid of going to Ypsi than Mount Pleasant right now.

edited September 2019
    Honestly? Given what's happened, I kind of wish Michigan played a decent MAC team this year- Toledo, Western MI, Eastern MI, maybe Northern IL or Ohio. I mean, if Army can take them to 2OT... and it would be fucking poetic if Eastern could take down Michigan.

Michigan MAC trophy is easily for the winner of WMU/EMU. Would love to see EMU get a good season and a decent bowl this year, they deserve it for trudging through all the shit they have.

But yeah, I think it's going to be a very good conference this year, with lots of tight games- and provided Wassink doesn't get fucked up, we should be up top, but I think a good hunk of the conference goes bowling.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Husky lose "at home" to Cal. I say "at home" because no one stayed for the game. Stands were empty when it resumed. Well we didn't have playoff hopes anyway

wbBv3fj.png
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Honestly? Given what's happened, I kind of wish Michigan played a decent MAC team this year- Toledo, Western MI, Eastern MI, maybe Northern IL or Ohio. I mean, if Army can take them to 2OT... and it would be fucking poetic if Eastern could take down Michigan.

Michigan MAC trophy is easily for the winner of WMU/EMU. Would love to see EMU get a good season and a decent bowl this year, they deserve it for trudging through all the shit they have.

But yeah, I think it's going to be a very good conference this year, with lots of tight games- and provided Wassink doesn't get fucked up, we should be up top, but I think a good hunk of the conference goes bowling.

Army is really good (they took a playoff team to OT last year and finished 11-2) and you should never play service academies anyway.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Jesus.

Whoever decided neon glow green was the best match for an MSU uniform ought to be taken out back and forced to wear it.

Kind of figured we were going to get our heads handed to us- strangely, 51 - 17 wasn't the worst I'd had in mind. It was a pipe dream we were going to win this one, we'll try against Georgia State next week and see how we do before we buckle down for conference play. 17 points for an unranked team against MSU is something I'll take, and let's face it, 51 points is only impressive when you do it against a team who ought to rightly give you a challenge instead of an in-state cupcake you need to make you look good in the papers.

FWIW it's not like anyone here was blowing you guys up about it

17 points is twice and some what Tulsa maanged

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    Jesus.

FWIW it's not like anyone here was blowing you guys up about it

17 points is twice and some what Tulsa maanged

I know, you guys are awesome for putting up with me and my MACtion. :) It was more meant to poke at the biggest papers here in Michigan- since it looks like the Wolverines are going to be crap this year, they're betting everything on Sparty, and they're lauding the fact a ranked team put 51 points up on a MAC team. I mean, if they wanted to support a few teams that wouldn't leave a bad taste in their mouths, they could always go for the directionals. I mean, yeesh, I still don't wear my MSU gear, after that shitshow.

steam_sig.png
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    This thread needs far more MACtion

Captain Inertia on
This discussion has been closed.