As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] Why do you play? You play because you played of course!

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Put another way: those awkward turns where you deal 9000 per hit and fail to break a level of rage. If you hone from R4 to R5, that gets you most of the way to making those hits deal 10000, just need to squeeze a little more out somewhere (magia, slightly better magicite, etc)

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yeah.

Between this and eventual Magia boosts, I may be able to remove crit-buffs from my evolving Water Odin strategy. Which would be great.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, I'm wondering if I should farm more Madeens...what decks did you use for Ark?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    My current deck for Cruise Chaser Ark is Lakshmi (+Holy 12, -Dark 10), Madeen (+MND 20, +MAG 20), Madeen (Fast Act 8, +Holy 15), Famfrit (+HP 8, -Spell 5), and Geosgaeno (+HP 8, -Blade 5).

• Options
    Only one +Mnd and +Mag?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah.

Between this and eventual Magia boosts, I may be able to remove crit-buffs from my evolving Water Odin strategy. Which would be great.

Crits are double damage though, we are talking 10% increase here or less depending on how it stacks with things.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    *shrug*

The actual team uses Porom’s BSB and Raines’s BSB for buffs, and contains Minwu’s offensive USB, which contains a 50% self MND buff, so it’s got plenty of buffs flying about outside of the Magicite boons.

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Yeah.

Crits are double damage though, we are talking 10% increase here or less depending on how it stacks with things.

A fair point. It’s just that it requires either a bar from my healer or sacrificing Shellga by using Onion. Of course, the team 100% can’t afford to spend a lot of time in the battle, so offense may be the best defense here.

Gonna have to keep experimenting.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Crits aren't double damage (unless you have a crit damage boost), they're only +50% damage

Some of the most frustrating runs for me are the ones where it's the crits that are getting to 9000. If the regular hits were over 7000, usually I can get a run where I random into a crit pretty easily, even without any crit chance buffs on my team.

Fry on
  • Options
    yeah with Tyro's USB4 and Ignis in my possession, I'm phasing out my +%Crit Chance for +%Crit Damage.

• Options
    That’s another thought. If I plan to keep using Brush Up, I may well want to replace Precise Strikes with Deadly Strikes.

• Options
    Well, this time I got Odin to kill me with his final Goemon Sword 3 instead of falling to Elemental Drive. So progress is being made. Still think I’ll need a BSB for Todus and either Bartz’s Awakening or Arcane to seal the deal here.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I like dying to that move because I feel like he has to work for it. Gallop all over the place instead of just rocking back. And forth a bit.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    Crits aren't double damage (unless you have a crit damage boost), they're only +50% damage

Some of the most frustrating runs for me are the ones where it's the crits that are getting to 9000. If the regular hits were over 7000, usually I can get a run where I random into a crit pretty easily, even without any crit chance buffs on my team.

I was just doing the freezing event and the third rank big chin boss was taking 2.6k a hit from bartz AASB entry 4.7k crits. That’s more than +50%. That’s with +10 crit chance from magicite +2 surging power and tyro usb 4.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    There are not many things that modify crit damage, and those numbers you gave are neither 50% nor 100%. Other than Deadly Strikes on magicite, I'm pretty sure everything that modifies crit damage is in chunks of 50%. Might be the natural RNG in attack damage, or the result of a chain count going up if you're using a fire/water/Earth/wind chain.

• Options
    Oh so this is why they suddenly decided to give Fran Machinist access.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Ice FBC 100 gems: 1* Anima Lens, natch.

Daily Disco hit! Elarra USB2! For a second I thought it was Godwall and almost flipped.

Is the game psychic? Does it know I stopped buying gems and it's trying to rope me back in?

Data for posterity:
    16 misses in a row

45/435 lifetime

7/85 current batch

5/95 3rd batch (5/95 is -9 under EV, which is catastrophically bad, but it's just a game!)

14/95 2nd batch (about on EV for this batch.)

9/65 1st batch (0.1 items below EV, which is pretty much exactly expected return, though quite a few duds even on my hits)

Note to self: No whining, Rikku USB, never forget. Also Cloud BSB2, Mustadio USB, Water Chain (dupe), Seymour Chain, Basch USB, Nine USB, Sephiroth USB, Pecil USB1, Sice USB (twice!), Curilla USB (dupe), Celes USB2, Strago USB, Firion bUSB, Rude USB.

• Options
    Considering you got better with your daily draw than the gems, probably not. Would’ve been smarter to reverse that if they wanted gems to keep looking like a good idea.

——————

Hm, Fran as a chain holder may be worth exploring. If I used her for chain and imperil, I wouldn’t need Laguna quite as much for Syldra, and could bring Ayame again, or attempt Umaro shenanigans. But then I’d be wholly at the mercy of RNG. Hm.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Daily luck continues for a record 4th day in a row: Leo LMR.

Also I uhh, treated myself to a pull on the ice banner yesterday and went 4/11: Noel LMR (dupe), Josef Glint, Serah USB2, Lulu AASB. So that's cool, I guess! Not sure if I need to eventually find an en-ice source for Lulu but it should be plenty good for now.

And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I was kind of hoping for Noel relics. Oh well, maybe another time.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Daily hit - Tyro SSB, that earth attack one.

• Options
    Wait why is lagunA glint called sorceress knight? Which sorceress was he a knight for?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Wait why is lagunA glint called sorceress knight? Which sorceress was he a knight for?

It most likely refers to that time he got roped into acting in a play, where he performed the role of the Knight to the sorceress character.

Said play went off the rails when a very real Red Dragon attacked and Laguna had to fight it off.

• Options
    Oh. Was that the plot of that movie? That game was weird.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Oh. Was that the plot of that movie? That game was weird.

That’s just off the top of my head, and I haven’t actually played VIII. But I’m pretty sure that’s how it went.

Wouldn’t be the first time we got a soul break based on one of our heroes getting roped into being an actor.

Enlong on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Daily hit: Wakka unique. It's Magic Breakdown.

• Options
    Man, that thing was the shit back in the day.

• Options
    Man, that thing was the shit back in the day.

It hits 5 times! Up to 49995 damage!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Threw myself at lightning weak Odin again, and yeah, just feeling like I can't fit everything I need to and still deal enough damage with only one on-element awakening.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Daily hit: Noel's LMR: significant damage boost when using a Sword.

Between this, having his dualcast ice LMR, and getting several of his BSBs and one of his USBs on incidental pulls, I get it, game, you want me to put Noel into my Ice teams. Well, he's still got to prove himself vs Ayame, but this is not a bad thing to add to his options, I'll say that much.

Possibly way more significant is that it's a bracer with +Ice! Yaaaay!

I haven't had any +Ice armors since getting Snow's Last Stand BSB coat.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Depending on which ultra it is, he's either got Imperil, or Aura + chase. With the LMRs, that's probably better than Ayame unless you're needing her for an AOSB or something.

• Options
    The one with Aura and Chase. Pretty good.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Minwu BSB1 on the Daily today. Already got some stuff for him that would get more use but options and +10 Mind is always nice.

• Options
    Lord of the rings starts tonight, I think.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Been working on Torments over the last few weeks, got three more of them sub 30: IV, XII, and XIII. Brings my total up to eight completely done (V, VII, IX, XI, T)

Fry on
  • Options
    I’ve been working on the 280s. I am down to a few left: III XI XIII T0. I don’t think I can sub30 any of the big ones yet. Tried VI with terra AASB and didn’t make it.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ...no LOTR, but shit this is tempting.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Eight chains on one banner: wow!

... Except five of them are realm chains, which are usually hard to use in magicite fights. Rikku might be fine since several Xers are water, but otherwise...

Edit: 1.7 million in the damage challenge. No Raijin shenanigans this time. Probably could have beaten 2 million if I had been smarter about getting my AOSBs deployed, but oh well

Fry on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    ...I wonder if having Rikku’s X chain would actually help for Odin.

I wouldn’t be able to use Bartz anymore, but I would be able to use Rikku, Tidus, and Kimahri. On the other hand, only one Sapphire Bullet exists, and Rikku can’t use any other 6-star moves for Water, until that Water Thief stuff comes out.

If LOTROP is coming, I don’t think I can really drop 50 on this, having already got the stuff for Ramza and Prompto? Fujin is tempting, though. I’d be able to use Alphinaud for damage again.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Fry wrote: »
    Eight chains on one banner: wow!

... Except five of them are realm chains, which are usually hard to use in magicite fights. Rikku might be fine since several Xers are water, but otherwise...

Irvine can work for ice, too.

• Options
    Grah.... it's Ramza's chain. It's gonna be a while until it reappears...