As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    OK KO had a fantastic ending.

It was really heartfelt and clearly obvious the creator had more planned for the series.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Not sure how I feel about this. I guess there’s a CG Scooby Doo movie coming?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    They look ok. No idea why they ditched Matt Lillard but WB seems to be undoing a bunch of stuff with Shaggy lately. Hes not even vegetarian anymore

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Since when was Shaggy ever a vegetarian? I remember him eating everything that wasn't nailed down, a definition which included anything that was nailed down but he could pry loose.

• Options
    Since when was Shaggy ever a vegetarian? I remember him eating everything that wasn't nailed down, a definition which included anything that was nailed down but he could pry loose.

Per IMDB trivia
    During production of the second season (1970-1971), Casey Kasem became a strict vegetarian, and wanted his character Shaggy to follow suit. Kasem was promised by Hanna-Barbera that his character would become vegetarian from that point on. H-B actually kept their end of the bargain for the 1970-1971 season of the show (as long as one assumes that, in Scooby Doo, Where Are You!: Haunted House Hang-Up (1970), Shaggy's bologna slice is *vegetarian* bologna and that the pizza he eats in the final scene is vegetarian-safe pizza). In subsequent spin-off series, however, Shaggy is routinely seen snacking on non-vegetarian foods. Kasem put his foot down over this issue in 1995, after he was required to perform Shaggy's voice for a commercial advertising (decidedly non-vegetarian) Burger King Kids Club meals. Kasem refused to perform the voice after that, and did not return to the role until What's New, Scooby-Doo? (2002) with the requirement that (of course) Shaggy be a strict vegetarian in that series, which he is. For the record, Shag's also a vegetarian in the live-action Scooby-Doo (2002).

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Huh.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    skeldare wrote: »

Per IMDB trivia
    During production of the second season (1970-1971), Casey Kasem became a strict vegetarian, and wanted his character Shaggy to follow suit. Kasem was promised by Hanna-Barbera that his character would become vegetarian from that point on. H-B actually kept their end of the bargain for the 1970-1971 season of the show (as long as one assumes that, in Scooby Doo, Where Are You!: Haunted House Hang-Up (1970), Shaggy's bologna slice is *vegetarian* bologna and that the pizza he eats in the final scene is vegetarian-safe pizza). In subsequent spin-off series, however, Shaggy is routinely seen snacking on non-vegetarian foods. Kasem put his foot down over this issue in 1995, after he was required to perform Shaggy's voice for a commercial advertising (decidedly non-vegetarian) Burger King Kids Club meals. Kasem refused to perform the voice after that, and did not return to the role until What's New, Scooby-Doo? (2002) with the requirement that (of course) Shaggy be a strict vegetarian in that series, which he is. For the record, Shag's also a vegetarian in the live-action Scooby-Doo (2002).

God damn, screwed him over multiple times >:(

Meanwhile, The Simpsons has honored Paul McCartney's request for the past 25 years:
    The staff wanted to bring McCartney onto the show, and David Mirkin thought "Lisa the Vegetarian" would be an attractive story, since McCartney is a vegetarian himself. McCartney agreed to appear, but requested that Lisa remain a vegetarian for the rest of the series, rather than revert to meat-eating in the next episode. The staff promised that she would remain a vegetarian, resulting in one of the few permanent character changes made in the show.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_the_Vegetarian

🐮✊

wandering on
  • Options
    Teen Titans Go are meeting up with Scooby Doo in two weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0AOpncLtD4

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    They look ok. No idea why they ditched Matt Lillard but WB seems to be undoing a bunch of stuff with Shaggy lately. Hes not even vegetarian anymore

Why'd they roll that back? Didn't the original voice actor manage to convince the suits well enough?

This makes me unreasonably mad.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    skeldare wrote: »
    Teen Titans Go are meeting up with Scooby Doo in two weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0AOpncLtD4

It's Robin. Robin did it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Disenchantment is back and I liked it but the Netflix mandate s are definitely hurting this show.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    What mandates are those?

The trailer for season 2 looked really fun. But I was actually pretty disappointed that they pretty much went right back to the status quo after two episodes. I was hoping this season would have an actual journey for the characters and not just be "what is happening in the kingdom today" format that I felt dragged the shows first season down and made it feel aimless.

Viskod on
  • Options
    The format is weird.They dont answer much of anything and several episodes (that I enjoyed otherwise) dont really affect the plot. They introduce some cool ideas but dont apend any time on them.

Maybe mandate is the wrong word the Netflix apparoach to releasing things hurt this season. I feel like this half of the season is the writers ironing out the kinks of the first half.

I liked the characters and the humor but the plot is a mess

• Options
    The format is weird.They dont answer much of anything and several episodes (that I enjoyed otherwise) dont really affect the plot. They introduce some cool ideas but dont apend any time on them.

Maybe mandate is the wrong word the Netflix apparoach to releasing things hurt this season. I feel like this half of the season is the writers ironing out the kinks of the first half.

I liked the characters and the humor but the plot is a mess

Totally.
    Think how much better this season would have been if half of it was Bean, Elfo, and Lucy trying to get back to Dreamland while Zog wandered off into the woods and lived with Ursula during this time getting to be true to himself and maybe getting back into shape a bit. At this same time it leaves Derek and Murkimer at the castle. I think it would be great if by the time Bean got back to Dreamland and Zog just decides to come back out of the woods and home for something, they both find out that Derek had found a way to cure everyone of being stone and Dreamland was in a much better state with him ruling while they were both gone.

• Options
    I think they could have spent at least 2 episodes in
    Steamland
    . Its such a neat idea

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I am very tired of the writing style where characters knowingly mention vague nothings to each other as if its significant and then we never find out what that is.

It's not building mystery, it's clearly indicating the writers have no idea where this is going. And thus I dont care. The answer is going to be dumb and then the status quo will be reset a couple episodes later in time for the next plot twist a couple episodes later and so on.

Also, Elfo is written wildly inconsistent.
    Oona was the best character and I would have rather spent time with her and her pirates raiding clown ships.

• Options
    Elfo is fun when hes paired with Luci or being stupidly naive but there's not enough of that this season. The joke about his mom is whatever but I wouldnt hate it so much if they didnt fucking do it seriously with half the other plots.

• Options
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    I am very tired of the writing style where characters knowingly mention vague nothings to each other as if its significant and then we never find out what that is.

It's not building mystery, it's clearly indicating the writers have no idea where this is going. And thus I dont care. The answer is going to be dumb and then the status quo will be reset a couple episodes later in time for the next plot twist a couple episodes later and so on.

Also, Elfo is written wildly inconsistent.
    Oona was the best character and I would have rather spent time with her and her pirates raiding clown ships.

We do find out.
    The elves are obviously after that growth potion that is hidden in Castle Dreamland inside those amphora that Derek was giving to that octopus.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    I just started watching Disenchanted S1 and I'm liking it but I feel that some joke sacrificed consistency for a sight gag. Some of the delivery just feels off compared to the Simpsons and Futurama. Like when you have a creative team that goes off to do individual projects, you see which parts of the previous works can be attributed to who but each new piece is now missing the balance of the whole team. Maybe they, not rushed, but because they didn't have to work with the restrictions of network TV just let in more jokes that normally would have had to be reworked to pass censor forcing more review passes of the writing. So this show is just more raw writers steam of consciousness making some gags feel like first drafts.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Adult Swim dropped a clip from Primal:

https://youtu.be/xnysiFkFloE

Killstealing - Older Than You Thought.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I watched TeenTitanGo vs Teen Titan and it was quite funny. Laughed quite a bit at their ending gag after the main story was all wrapped up. It's too bad this had a regular production budget though, some of the non-TTG animations were a little stiff.

Also <3
    Mermaid Raven was so cute

Handkor on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yep, TTG vs. TT is a fun time.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

The owl house is digging into thise Ryoko vibes huh?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Primal seems pretty cool, even if....

Premiere spoilers
    I remember seeing the trailers and thinking, “huh, are there literally zero women in this or does his wife immediately get fridged,” and yeah, wife, kids, chomped to bits, here is your male motivation.

Other than that I did really enjoy it though. It is the best parts of samurai jack—long, quiet moments interrupted by brilliant flashes of violence, though obviously way more brutal, and more Conan than Yojimbo.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Just watched Primal and holy fucking shit am I in. Incredible visual design (as typical of a Tartakovsky animation, but even better than Samurai Jack) and the story thus far is conveyed completely without dialogue. Literally everything is conveyed through visuals, sound effects, or music, which is honestly what I was hoping for but did not at all expect to get. The shots convey volumes with little more than the shuffling feet of an outline or the shifting of the eyes. Fair warning, it gets fucking dark in a hurry; it's called Primal for a reason, and it's because everything eats something else.

As far as this:
    Primal seems pretty cool, even if....

Premiere spoilers
    I remember seeing the trailers and thinking, “huh, are there literally zero women in this or does his wife immediately get fridged,” and yeah, wife, kids, chomped to bits, here is your male motivation.

Other than that I did really enjoy it though. It is the best parts of samurai jack—long, quiet moments interrupted by brilliant flashes of violence, though obviously way more brutal, and more Conan than Yojimbo.

there's no "fridging".
    Yes, the caveman loses his family, but just a few minutes later we find a dinosaur mother about to lose her family. So what's her "male motivation" when her kids get chomped? The caveman and dinosaur are united by their shared loss, irrespective of gender or species.

Sure, it's a stretch to have a caveman alongside megapredators that predated him by a hundred million years, but the point of the setting here is the fantastic, not the factual. It is very brutal, though, with bone-cracking (literal) face-ripping bloody violence. Probably don't want to let the little ones watch this.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I didn't realize the premiere was out. Is the entire thing on AS.com or YouTube?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I didn't realize the premiere was out. Is the entire thing on AS.com or YouTube?

Pretty sure the entire thing is available online (AS.com), and they're airing it one episode a night this week.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah I'll have to jump on that later today. I love Tartakovsky.

• Options
    It's only the one episode so far, but he may legit be outdoing all his previous series here. Having the show be completely non-verbal is a pretty chancy thing, but it's executed beautifully. It's like one extended lesson in "show, don't tell", coupled with fantastic animation to boot.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'm glad it's doing well, but it's also something I don't really want to watch, if that makes sense. Even just the trailers were too violent for me

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    1. What the fuck.

2. I need to see this YESTERDAY

https://youtu.be/gn5QmllRCn4

• Options
    Way to keep the plot hidden from teaser to trailer. I did not expect that to be the reason for a road trip. Also hey look it's another Pixar mom.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The cyber boomerang in the Watch Dogs cartoon image makes me really want to watch it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Oh, apparently the Addams Family movie isn't screening for critics, so apparently it's a stinker. Pity.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh, apparently the Addams Family movie isn't screening for critics, so apparently it's a stinker. Pity.

Sad, but as expected.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    i'm so down for Blood Dragon

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    i'm so down for Blood Dragon

I love the buff 90s Rabbid.

This discussion has been closed.