As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Oxygen Not Included] Breath of Fresh Air! (DLC in Early Access)

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I almost lost my colony to starvation, the food requirements in survival are much higher it seems.

There's also the issue with me setting all dupes to "No cooking" at the start and forgetting, so even though I had a hatch farm going on, we were running out of food. Also I had not removed meat from the consumables tab so they'd just eat the meat raw!

Always learning something new with this game!

Yeah, I looked into the options when you are setting up a new world and there are several additional changes you can make to your dupes to make the game easier or harder. You can set their appetites between ravenous and "cloned without a stomach" which I haven't tested so I hope it doesn't mean they literally don't eat since you get some pretty hefty morale gains from what they eat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I've noticed that running the Hatch Farms requires keeping about 33% more food on hand for when the Rancher decides to refill the Feeders. The first time it happened to me my food supply when from 25K to 3K with no warning.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    In my scramble to save the colony, I started hunting for mushrooms since I already had a CO2 filled room right next to a Polluted water well. Fried mushrooms saved the day here! When they wouldn't fry them is when I noticed nobody had the task assigned, even though they had the grilling skill :P

I pretty much went from 5K stored calories to 75K in a few cycles.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I've noticed that running the Hatch Farms requires keeping about 33% more food on hand for when the Rancher decides to refill the Feeders. The first time it happened to me my food supply when from 25K to 3K with no warning.

I noticed this when I tried to farm Sage hatches and feed them food, the default level for the critter feeders is 20 tonnes of food which isn't much if you're filling it with sandstone or granite, but is huge if you're trying to fill it with meal lice or bristle berries since they are very light. The feeder also isn't refrigerated, so if your stable isn't filled with CO2 you're going to end up with a lot of rotted food unless you drop the slider to just fill it with a minimum of product.

So that's how I stopped trying to ranch sage hatches and now just crack their eggs.

edit: should have said 2 tonnes, or 2,000 kg, so still a lot when a single piece of food typically weighs 1kg.

Daimar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

I noticed this when I tried to farm Sage hatches and feed them food, the default level for the critter feeders is 20 tonnes of food which isn't much if you're filling it with sandstone or granite, but is huge if you're trying to fill it with meal lice or bristle berries since they are very light. The feeder also isn't refrigerated, so if your stable isn't filled with CO2 you're going to end up with a lot of rotted food unless you drop the slider to just fill it with a minimum of product.

So that's how I stopped trying to ranch sage hatches and now just crack their eggs.

Sage hatches eat polluted dirt, which rot piles will break down into. I just let my sage hatches eat whatever food i chuck in there and have the food dispenser flanked by Deoderizers - It works out pretty well, really. Does mean there's a decor issue inside the ranch, but then i never worry about my ranches being pretty areas anyway.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Sage hatches eat polluted dirt, which rot piles will break down into. I just let my sage hatches eat whatever food i chuck in there and have the food dispenser flanked by Deoderizers - It works out pretty well, really. Does mean there's a decor issue inside the ranch, but then i never worry about my ranches being pretty areas anyway.

You can also adjust the cap of what dupes can put into any container for solids, including feeders. Mousing over their diet in the info tab that pops up when you select them will also tell you how much they eat per cycle, and you can use info that to set a level that will feed the pen for a cycle or two but not take up your whole food stock in the meantime.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Foefaller wrote: »

You can also adjust the cap of what dupes can put into any container for solids, including feeders. Mousing over their diet in the info tab that pops up when you select them will also tell you how much they eat per cycle, and you can use info that to set a level that will feed the pen for a cycle or two but not take up your whole food stock in the meantime.

Related: There's currently a very nasty bug that effects Pips and Dreckos at the very least - eating any amount of food instantly refills their calories to full. I'm intentionally designing my ranches to act like it's the expected behaviour, not the bugged behaviour. but something to keep in mind.

Edit: Can someone double check my math here:

Pips Excrete 20kg/Dirt a day. Mealwood plants require 10kg a day - You need 1 pip per 2 mealwood plants to keep them fertilized.

Glossy Dreckos need 3 mealwood plants per to snack on. So for every dreck you need 1.5 pips to keep Dirt production steady (Assuming no other sources of Dirt production)

a drecko farm can hold 6 dreckos max due to space limitations (If there's a more efficent design, i'm yet to figure it out). So to keep my 12 glossy dreckos going in the long run, i'm going to need 18 pips. Thankfully, actually feeding the pips is pretty easy, Arbor trees are not exactly ardorous - a wild arbor tree can support 3 pips, as long as it's growning 5 branches. Presumably, a ranched arbor tree can do more.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Related: There's currently a very nasty bug that effects Pips and Dreckos at the very least - eating any amount of food instantly refills their calories to full. I'm intentionally designing my ranches to act like it's the expected behaviour, not the bugged behaviour. but something to keep in mind.

Pips Excrete 20kg/Dirt a day. Mealwood plants require 10kg a day - You need 1 pip per 2 mealwood plants to keep them fertilized.

Glossy Dreckos need 3 mealwood plants per to snack on. So for every dreck you need 1.5 pips to keep Dirt production steady (Assuming no other sources of Dirt production)

a drecko farm can hold 6 dreckos max due to space limitations (If there's a more efficent design, i'm yet to figure it out). So to keep my 12 glossy dreckos going in the long run, i'm going to need 18 pips. Thankfully, actually feeding the pips is pretty easy, Arbor trees are not exactly ardorous - a wild arbor tree can support 3 pips, as long as it's growning 5 branches. Presumably, a ranched arbor tree can do more.

I believe what you do is make the ranch 3 tiles high with pneumatic doors every few tiles with the mealwood in between. Then you have automation open all the doors when the rancher comes in to groom so they won't get in the way of whatever drecko they are calling.

If my napkin math is right, 8-9 doors + grooming and shearing stations will still allow you 24 free spots for farm tiles - enough to feed a full stable of 8 greckos- plus the doors while closed will stick them in the hydrogen to restore scales even if they are on the "floor." That said, even with the automation trick there is a good chance the rancher would be sticking around for a long time trying to groom and/or shear every drecko because of how far those on the ceiling would have to travel... though maybe you can make the ceiling doors that quickly open and close once whenever the rancher walks in to prevent that? Haven't tried it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I believe what you do i make the ranch 3 tiles high with pneumatic doors every few tiles with the mealwood in between. Then you have automation open all the doors when the rancher comes in to groom so they won't get in the way of whatever drecko they are calling.

If my napkin math is right, 8-9 doors + grooming and shearing stations will still allow you 24 free spots for farm tiles - enough to feed a full stable of 8 greckos- plus the doors while closed will stick them in the hydrogen to restore scales even if they are on the "floor." That said, even with the automation trick there is a good chance the rancher would be sticking around for a long time trying to groom and/or shear every drecko because of how far those on the ceiling would have to travel... though maybe you can make the ceiling doors that quickly open and close once whenever the rancher walks in to prevent that? Haven't tried it.

Have you got a screenshot of what you're describing? i've just been using a super lazy and super inefficent 4 high, 24 long rooms - 2 tiles full of hydrogen, 2 tiles full of oxygen. Not paritcuarly efficent, but it does work for minimal effort.

Relatedley, i want to mess with vertical hatch ranches more - mine are ugly as sin, all things considered. But they ARE working a charm - it's just a matter of better optimising the vertical space usage. (I suspect the real answer is going to be something like britsleblossom farming for free n easy extra food, or the ilk. Maybe pincha ppernuts if i can figure out the temp issues... there's a few possibilities - Gas storage just chews up too much space.

Course, half my issue is i'm trying to fit vertical ranches ontop of my 24 by 4 ranches, just to keep things in the right space/shape. If i was a bit more flexible on that, i'd have more luck fitting them in. *shrugs* I'll figure it out!
    137D4B710FBB0CF1100E71B853B5D0AA73ED4505

Here's the base as of cycle 160 - It's coming along well. Right now i'm working on getting a SPOM set up before my algae supplies finally given in (though if i setup some distillers, that'll last all the longer). Automation is setup for a bunch of things, Incubators are coming online - i'm adopting a much smaller approach to incubators this time - 1 per ranch, just to ensure ranches never run out of members. Shipping is also up and running, a MUCH stronger power network is also setup, combining both Natural Gas and Coal based solutions. I've taped and secured two natural gas gesyers on the map - Their combined output is enough to run 2.5 natural gas generators running 100% of the time. Which is terribly bloody wasteful! Hooray for smart battery based automation.

One thing i cant quite solve is why my jumbo batteries are not being filled up - i think my mistake is putting them before the smart battery, rather than afterwards? Less than sure. My power network needs some serious rebuilding anyway, but that can wait until later - Right now getting the SPOM being built is a serious concern, and ocne that's done i'll turn my attention to tapping the Oil Biome, and all that tasty, tasty lead. (lead is AMAZING for building power networks, since there's fucktons of it... and it's prerefined)

Still need to get Glossy Drecko ranching up and running, but this map was not very kind on hydrogen pockets.

...annnnd i just noticed i need to redesign the natural gas room, as only one of the generators is counting in the Power Room. Goddammit.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Hmm... I got a couple steam turbines up and running with a loop to do some cooling as heat is an issue but...

I can't keep them going consistently. Between them and the rest of my base, I don't have enough power now. Even with two harnessed Natural Gas vents and leftover Hydrogen from the oxygen production. Might have to add in some coal or oil power setups to keep things going until I can get solar panels up.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I believe what you do i make the ranch 3 tiles high with pneumatic doors every few tiles with the mealwood in between. Then you have automation open all the doors when the rancher comes in to groom so they won't get in the way of whatever drecko they are calling.

Have you got a screenshot of what you're describing? i've just been using a super lazy and super inefficent 4 high, 24 long rooms - 2 tiles full of hydrogen, 2 tiles full of oxygen. Not paritcuarly efficent, but it does work for minimal effort.

Relatedley, i want to mess with vertical hatch ranches more - mine are ugly as sin, all things considered. But they ARE working a charm - it's just a matter of better optimising the vertical space usage. (I suspect the real answer is going to be something like britsleblossom farming for free n easy extra food, or the ilk. Maybe pincha ppernuts if i can figure out the temp issues... there's a few possibilities - Gas storage just chews up too much space.

Course, half my issue is i'm trying to fit vertical ranches ontop of my 24 by 4 ranches, just to keep things in the right space/shape. If i was a bit more flexible on that, i'd have more luck fitting them in. *shrugs* I'll figure it out!
    137D4B710FBB0CF1100E71B853B5D0AA73ED4505

Here's the base as of cycle 160 - It's coming along well. Right now i'm working on getting a SPOM set up before my algae supplies finally given in (though if i setup some distillers, that'll last all the longer). Automation is setup for a bunch of things, Incubators are coming online - i'm adopting a much smaller approach to incubators this time - 1 per ranch, just to ensure ranches never run out of members. Shipping is also up and running, a MUCH stronger power network is also setup, combining both Natural Gas and Coal based solutions. I've taped and secured two natural gas gesyers on the map - Their combined output is enough to run 2.5 natural gas generators running 100% of the time. Which is terribly bloody wasteful! Hooray for smart battery based automation.

One thing i cant quite solve is why my jumbo batteries are not being filled up - i think my mistake is putting them before the smart battery, rather than afterwards? Less than sure. My power network needs some serious rebuilding anyway, but that can wait until later - Right now getting the SPOM being built is a serious concern, and ocne that's done i'll turn my attention to tapping the Oil Biome, and all that tasty, tasty lead. (lead is AMAZING for building power networks, since there's fucktons of it... and it's prerefined)

Still need to get Glossy Drecko ranching up and running, but this map was not very kind on hydrogen pockets.

...annnnd i just noticed i need to redesign the natural gas room, as only one of the generators is counting in the Power Room. Goddammit.

At work atm, so you'll have to wait for a SS on the Drecko ranch.

IIRC the only way to make sure the smart battery drains last is to put it *after* the transformers. IIRC this also means, unfortunately, they become the first batteries to fill up too. Which means that to have to either

A.) Set up a complex automation system that causes the generators to come on when any line + the main bank runs out and stay on until all batteries are filled. Only workable one I recall seeing involved having two transformers per line, with the normal batteries between the two and smart batteries on either end. Futherest battery running out would turn on the generators, closest battery filling up is what shuts them off.
    B.)Set up a much simpler automation system by having every pair of transformers have their own generators, with the smart batteries connecting to the generators with a single OR and buffer gate, and do the math to figure out how long it would take to fill up all the batteries on average to know what to set the buffer for
    C.) Set up the wiring so that the line that drains the most power on average is where the smart battery is with normal batteries on the rest, again with buffer and math.
    D.)Just have a single smart battery (or pair with an AND gate) as your power bank and accept that the generators will be flipping on and off a couple dozen times a cycle.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Forgot one more:

E. Use Manual Generators + automation, such as scratching Smart Batteries altogether and instead having a Dupe sensor next to the Manual Generator that turns on the rest of the generators when a dupe gets on the wheel (which was actually the go-to before smart Batteries were a thing in EA, except that IIRC instead of a dupe sensor, it was a power-requiring sensor set to a condition that would always be true, once the manual generator gave it power, it sent the green signal to power the generators.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Also, the ultimate drecko farm I was thinking of turned out to be not as amazing as I thought it was. While pneumatic doors do help in keeping the dreckos in hydrogen a greater % of the time, they aren't really compatible with automated opening *and* lower ceiling unless you switch out all the mealwood for bristle blossoms (which apparently glossy dreckos will eat as well, and also require 3 per) or automate the dirt application with sweepers. And while it *can* extend the ranch far enough to feed a full stable of dreckos once you remove the critter dropoff, it will still take forever for each grooming thanks to how far they will need to likely travel even if they weren't on the ceiling.

One thing a did learn that can help with the keeping the hydrogen in, however, is that you can put the door into the room one tile below the level of the floor, and the rancher will be able to crawl into and out of the room through that 1 tile gap.

So even if you can figure out a way, it's still probably better to keep the number of dreckos to just 4-5 per ranch, simply because of how goddamn slow they can be.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Something I learned today:

If you connect a generator to the automation grid, it will run and burn resources even if it's not connected to the power grid, and is useless. Oops.

• Options
    An update landed today!

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/111295-game-update-364722/

Probably the biggest takeaway is that Conductive Heavy Watt Wire is now rated to hold 50k!? Watts, up from it's previous 20k. So it's now an all around huge upgrade over Heavy Watt wire.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    That is fricken huge.

You can probably plan a better electrical closet schema for your base now without the probable issue of burning up wires or crossing two or three electrical grids.

Ive already planned around 2k office grids, but it started getting iffy around the 20k Mark.

Now all my power can go in one area, and I can set one or two mech rails to dump all my fuel that way.

Neat.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So I've paused my way to easy terra base and started a verdant map since I thought I'd try something new (but not too new)

Oh boy, this is an interesting seed so far. Within ~40 tiles to the right of my start are two iron volcanos and a hot water vent in a little group.

All the resources I could ever need right on my doorstep if it doesn't cook me first.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    So I've paused my way to easy terra base and started a verdant map since I thought I'd try something new (but not too new)

Oh boy, this is an interesting seed so far. Within ~40 tiles to the right of my start are two iron volcanos and a hot water vent in a little group.

All the resources I could ever need right on my doorstep if it doesn't cook me first.

I did similar, started on an Oceania base. Ended up quite deep in the map it seems, given the oil biome is RIGHT below me. As was an open and going cool steam vent - Having a reason to rush the insulated tile technoology was super cool. Refined my vertical ranch designs as well - I can fit 3 ranches holding 8, 7, 7 above one of my standard 24x4 ranches (Which are for pips/dreckos, mainly). So that's good!

• Options
    I think I got unlucky on my current map. It's an ocean map which is neat to deal with but all of the vents are a long way away from my starting location and the ones I have found so far are a challenge. From memory I think I have copper & gold volcanos, a hot CO2 vent, a hydrogen vent, a hot polluted oxygen vent and I think there's a steam vent as well. I'm not quite at 200 days but I think I might just try to grind out 17.5 tonnes of steel to make the statue and put a fork in it then roll and hope for a bit better base in a different map type.

I've surprised myself in that I've been able to keep my water supply food poisoning free and only managed to drop a little bit of polluted water in my main supply which sunk to the bottom of my tank so isn't causing any problems. I think it got in there as polluted ice which I wasn't quick enough to tell my storage not to take.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I did similar, started on an Oceania base. Ended up quite deep in the map it seems, given the oil biome is RIGHT below me. As was an open and going cool steam vent - Having a reason to rush the insulated tile technoology was super cool. Refined my vertical ranch designs as well - I can fit 3 ranches holding 8, 7, 7 above one of my standard 24x4 ranches (Which are for pips/dreckos, mainly). So that's good!

In a situation like this, having a 1 tile wide vaccuum between 2 1 tile-wide insulators would pretty much stop the heat from going into your base, right?

• Options

In a situation like this, having a 1 tile wide vaccuum between 2 1 tile-wide insulators would pretty much stop the heat from going into your base, right?

I believe so, yes. I'm not too worried currently, it's pretty happily locked up - double insulation is nearly as good as vaccum insulation, at least in the short term. And eventually it's going to overpressurize and shut down from that, so you know not a big deal. At some point i'll tap it, but holy hell as long as i can run a desalinator, i am not short on water in this map. (in point of fact, i rather think the big challanges are going to be avoiding flooding my base)

Here's a current shot of what i'm working with:
    6A0E3450D3D701939D733E48E963EBEB935884E4

Somewhere above me is a massive salt water ocean. Right now i think i'm going to try and use some of this salt water to flood the slime biomes inhibiting my way, and use that as a way to safely clear them? This cannot possibly backfire. Next goals are getting my metal refinery online, then setting up some of the important shipping loops to keep my duplicants happily fed on meat and eggs. I also need to make a Drowner, and from there, figure out what my next power expansion is going to be - i havent found a natural gas geyser yet, so i'm wondering if i head towards ethanol-based soloutions instead via Wild-planted arbor trees. Though there's also a polluted water geyser inside that salt water sea, so if i tap that i could fuel the arbor trees with it...

Lots of things to solve. Hopefully one thing that is visible though is that you can see the main trunk of the base taking shape. a 7x7 corridor in a + shape running across and down the base.

• Options
    So, fun little challenge: apparently the second to last asteroid type starts as already too hot to grow mealwood.

So you pretty much have to rush either to insulation and cooling or pip ranching or your dupes will quickly starve to death.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, fun little challenge: apparently the second to last asteroid type starts as already too hot to grow mealwood.

So you pretty much have to rush either to insulation and cooling or pip ranching or your dupes will quickly starve to death.

I'd rush pip ranching - they're really easy to feed with arbor trees, infact you could probably feed your dupes just off wild egg and arbor tree production initally.

Also! Woo! In theory this is a very, very stable base
    3A7A4596F0AE230FA4CCBFBF1E656AE1671F3F0D

SPOM providing oxygen AND power, Coal Generation as a backup. Food's being provided by a pacu swarm, hatch ranches, and pip ranches - mostly egg based right now, but once shipping is up? Boom, the base will have a meat-based economy. Right now i'm starting to work on providing the base with decor, and then longterm i need to setup cooling for it that's you know, not based around wheezeworts - that's the current base-ender i think.

Next other goal is getting atmo suits setup, and starting exploring the rest of the map... without accidentally flooding the main base. Which is why i need the atmo suits, so i can seal things properly. There's a LOT of salt water on this map. A whoole lot. I have vauge ideas that it might be amusing to drill a diamond heat rod into the magma zone at some point, and use it to vaporize the whole bloody saltwater ocean. Whatcouldgowrong.exe

• Options
    Well, first game where I've reached one of the endgame achievements and I was kind of letting things fall apart near the end just to get the statue done.
    2doz5jtbwil3.jpg
    x41lsd5m0imh.jpg

In the end, no stress, no disease and heat was starting to build up in my water reservoir since I didn't want to spend the time or power to deal with it, but it would be pretty easy to bring things back in line. Getting all the materials ready for the statue took a bit longer than I thought it would, but I didn't really set up much of an industry area so I could have done it quicker if I was more aggressive in setting up power and cooling.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Infectious Polluted Oxygen Vent. Not sure what that is, but I want nothing to do with it.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    It's a source of free oxygen if you stick deoderizers in there and let the slimelung die out.

• Options
    Infectious Polluted Oxygen Vent. Not sure what that is, but I want nothing to do with it.

Yeah, run the PO2 through a set of deoderizers, use a gas filter to dump any PO2 back into the room same room, then pipe the oxygen through a chlorine disinfection room (Super easy to setup), and dump the clean O2 into your base. Boom! Easy low-power oxygen. You may want to eventually set up an Autosweeper to handle the work of the deorderizers for your dupes

• Options
  • Options
    With no power or water consumption.

• Options
    With no power or water consumption.

You'd need some power for the filtering and pumping, but yes. No water cost, no heat worries and minimal power expenditure vs what an electrolyzer takes.

No hydrogen generation, which may or may not be an advantage depending on how rube Goldberg esq your base has gotten.

Something I'm slowly wrapping my head around is that the game is very much about adapting to what you've got, and molding that to purpose

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    So I finally found oil. I've built a pipe all the way down and just need to get a pump in there somehow, but it's really hot. I've got a mini base right above it now pumping oxygen, an ice fan, and a planted wort. Dupes can survive in that little room, so I keep sending them under it to start building my pump and then sending them to the hospital when their health gets low.

Is this right? Am I missing a step that would protect them from this heat? I don't have access to plastic yet.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »
    So I finally found oil. I've built a pipe all the way down and just need to get a pump in there somehow, but it's really hot. I've got a mini base right above it now pumping oxygen, an ice fan, and a planted wort. Dupes can survive in that little room, so I keep sending them under it to start building my pump and then sending them to the hospital when their health gets low.

Is this right? Am I missing a step that would protect them from this heat? I don't have access to plastic yet.

Atmo suits would be what you need, you just need refined metal and reed fibre to build them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

Atmo suits would be what you need, you just need refined metal and reed fibre to build them.

Ah ok, I just figured any of the suits would require plastic.

Now off to find reeds!

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Seems like an awful lot of work to do what an Electrolyzer already does ?

I would have said the same thing a few playthroughs ago, but after having to deal with the logistics of getting electrolyzers working efficiently without filling your base with hot air or hydrogen, the hot vent sounds like a much better long-term solution :P

I got a hot polluted oxygen vent but it outputs at 500ºC so I really don't know what to do with it except have it closed off in the meantime.

• Options
    It could be used to boil water and power a steam turbine or two. Not sure on the needed setup though.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    So what's the best way to air condition? Is it cool hydrogen with radiant pipes snaking through the base? How fast does such a system cool water vs air?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Rend wrote: »
    So what's the best way to air condition? Is it cool hydrogen with radiant pipes snaking through the base? How fast does such a system cool water vs air?

Water cooling with non radiant pipes works pretty good, I only stay away from the radiant pipes because they require refined metals which I usually don't have a pile of, or is earmarked for other stuff, bonus being you need to pipe water around anyway. Liquids are able to absorb a lot more heat than gas so if you run cool water through a hot area it will cool the air and only heat up a little bit while gas will have a much larger swing in temperature. Getting the water to a cool temperature can be power hungry if you can't get to an ice biome or luck out with a cool slush geyser.

Daimar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

Water cooling with non radiant pipes works pretty good, bonus being you need to pipe water around anyway. Liquids are able to absorb a lot more heat than gas so if you run cool water through a hot area it will cool the air and only heat up a little bit while gas will have a much larger swing in temperature. Getting the water to a cool temperature can be power hungry if you can't get to an ice biome or luck out with a cool slush geyser.

Power hungry due to use of liquid aquatuners?

My assumption is the best answer to heat is the old tech heat deleter

• Options
    Seems like an awful lot of work to do what an Electrolyzer already does ?

I would have said the same thing a few playthroughs ago, but after having to deal with the logistics of getting electrolyzers working efficiently without filling your base with hot air or hydrogen, the hot vent sounds like a much better long-term solution :P

I got a hot polluted oxygen vent but it outputs at 500ºC so I really don't know what to do with it except have it closed off in the meantime.

Brothgar dealt with this in his Surviving Oasis series.

Basically, once you get to THAT hot, you have to either use a conveyor full of solids stuck on an endless loop, and/or limit the number of tiles worth of exposed radiant pipes the liquid that cycles through the aquatuner so it never goes above the evaporation point.

The conveyor takes no power once set up, and you're going to need the aquatuner at some point to take it all the way down to a survivable temp (as the lowest you'd get transfering heat without it would be ~125C) so IMO it's a bit of a "why not both?"

steam_sig.png