As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I actually had mistakenly thought Darting Blow boosted Avoid.

I still don't know that I'd go out of my way to get it, but that does make me more likely to equip it on any characters who have it available.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Jookie wrote: »
    Darting Blow doesn't help with dodge, since it only buffs Attack Speed, not the stat SPD.
    Avoid factors in attack speed though and not speed.

Oh? Learned something new.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I like Dartin Blow because it lets my units double with heavier weapons

dN0T6ur.png
  • JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Jookie wrote: »
    Darting Blow doesn't help with dodge, since it only buffs Attack Speed, not the stat SPD.
    Avoid factors in attack speed though and not speed.

Oh? Learned something new.
    It's possible I'm only half correct. Magic avoid is apparently (speed+luck)/2 plus remaining bonuses.

butts
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    when is the difficulty update coming?

i'm playing on hard/classic and it's kinda boring to just run Petra in and watch everyone vaporize themselves on her. i don't even do like farming missions :\

i wrote that program linked a few pages back hoping it would help me design my team but who fuckin cares, dude, you can just roll over everything if you run a party of 7.

INeedNoSalt on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Is it worth having every physical unit train axes a bit to unlock Brigand for Death Blow? Or is that overkill?

Similarly, should every caster be a Mage for Fiendish Blow?

Should every female unlock Pegasus Knight for Darting Blow?
    not worth the effort on hard
    Kupi wrote: »
    KirbyMastah, a speedrunner who occasionally runs Fire Emblem games, dropped an interesting factoid on his stream: based on tracking 30,000 data points (so he says, at least), the rate at which reported accuracy differs from actual accuracy tracks with the 2RN system. SerenesForest has an article on 2RN here, but the gist of it is that the game actually rolls two random numbers, averages them, and then compares them to the target accuracy to determine if it hits. This has the effect of skewing hit rates above 50% higher and hit rates below 50% lower. So you can have more confidence in that 80% hit chance than... well, 80%, I guess.
    just from personal experience I assumed true hit was in the game because 80-90% to hit chances are so consistent. I'd also wager it doesn't apply to critical hits but I don't know if that's always been the case with true hit. but yeah you see a ton of single digit % crits land and once you get a character to 15% + crit they are critting nonstop
    Edelgard is probably the best tank in the game
    hard to compete with byleth tbh.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So you gain lower tier class skills faster if your higher level? Like if I changed my high 30s character to soldier would u get reposition fast?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    So you gain lower tier class skills if your higher level? Like if I changed my high 30s character to soldier would u get reposition fast?

If you master a lower tier class it gives you an ability you can equip later when you've changed classes.

I actually meant faster. Do you learn it faster

camo_sig.png

I think the only way to learn a class ability faster is spend Renown at the Cathedral statues, and equip a Knowledge Gem accessory.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Is it worth having every physical unit train axes a bit to unlock Brigand for Death Blow? Or is that overkill?

Similarly, should every caster be a Mage for Fiendish Blow?

Should every female unlock Pegasus Knight for Darting Blow?
    not worth the effort on hard
    Kupi wrote: »
    KirbyMastah, a speedrunner who occasionally runs Fire Emblem games, dropped an interesting factoid on his stream: based on tracking 30,000 data points (so he says, at least), the rate at which reported accuracy differs from actual accuracy tracks with the 2RN system. SerenesForest has an article on 2RN here, but the gist of it is that the game actually rolls two random numbers, averages them, and then compares them to the target accuracy to determine if it hits. This has the effect of skewing hit rates above 50% higher and hit rates below 50% lower. So you can have more confidence in that 80% hit chance than... well, 80%, I guess.
    just from personal experience I assumed true hit was in the game because 80-90% to hit chances are so consistent. I'd also wager it doesn't apply to critical hits but I don't know if that's always been the case with true hit. but yeah you see a ton of single digit % crits land and once you get a character to 15% + crit they are critting nonstop
    Edelgard is probably the best tank in the game
    hard to compete with byleth tbh.

My byleth is so far slow and squishy, with insane str. Just two runs so far, so probably just unlucky.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

I think lower classes have less "points" needed to master them, but I don't know the actual numbers. And that's not affected by your level.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    byleth really wants to be in assassin I think. my second run I went swordmaster instead, and I found myself unable to get doubles on the first mobs in the first post-timeskip map. think I'm going to buy some bow skill and respec or try to get some speed carrots

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Every time one of my characters crits on the second swing I'm like... why couldn't you do that the first time

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Every time one of my characters crits on the second swing I'm like... why couldn't you do that the first time

RNGesus!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Finished the Golden Deer path. I really believe that penultimate chapter should've also happened in the Crimson Flower path. It would make sense there.

I already know my next playthrough is going to be Black Eagle again. But I'm not sure if I'm gonna do Crimson Flower or Silver Snow. I mean, I've already done Crimson Flower, but I've heard Silver Snow is rather similar to the Verdant Wind path I just wrapped up.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    FYI, if you buy the digital DLC update after the game it will brick the software with no functional solution. Got the game yesterday, the DLC today, and now see that I'm pretty much screwed on this purchase until Nintendo gets around to patching a solution.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Finished the Golden Deer path. I really believe that penultimate chapter should've also happened in the Crimson Flower path. It would make sense there.

I already know my next playthrough is going to be Black Eagle again. But I'm not sure if I'm gonna do Crimson Flower or Silver Snow. I mean, I've already done Crimson Flower, but I've heard Silver Snow is rather similar to the Verdant Wind path I just wrapped up.

Do BL so you see the other story details?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    "No no, don't tell them what they need to hear, tell them what they want to hear."

You call this an advice box

Advice I'm following to try to get everyone on my team. Crests/Nobles/Commoners/The Church are awesome/horrible!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Do BL so you see the other story details?

See, my problem with the Blue Lions is that I am thoroughly indifferent to their entire cast. The best I can say about them is that I kinda like them, I guess?

So I fear it would be a bit of a slog. I'll probably only do Blue Lions for completionism's sake. At some point. Maybe.

• AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    That's been a funny part about this game for me. None of the character designs really pulled me in from the start, but after I did each run I loved basically all of them. The voice acting and the supports are so well done, and they do a great job making you bond with the students.

So far I've beaten black eagles and golden deer. I never recruited anyone from another house. It's enough just getting to know the main ones. Though I admit it was much harder in my second playthrough fighting against my former allies.

I expect the same bonding to happen in my blue lions run, then maybe we will get DLC where I can get all my favs and make everyone happy :)

Acheron on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Acheron wrote: »
    That's been a funny part about this game for me. None of the character designs really pulled me in from the start, but after I did each run I loved basically all of them. The voice acting and the supports are so well done, and they do a great job making you bond with the students.

Yes! I have never played a game with such a likable cast. There’re a couple of students I’m not so keen on, but they still have some great supports and dialogue.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Hmmm...definitely need to find a couple of meat shields to recruit on my initial Black Eagle run...Byleth and a bunch of glass cannons has me leaning hard on Divine Pulse to make it through most fights without Pyric victories.

In fun news though, my Black Eagle Switch carrying case and screen protector arrive from Amazon tomorrow, then I'll be able to grind 2-3 hours a day on my commute to and from work and really strat making head way on this and The Last Remnant remaster.

Caspar is the meatiest of meat shields and you don't even need to recruit him since he's already Black Eagles :3 Seriously that dude is nuts.

I hear Raphael is good too tho didn't play around with him much

Caspar has high HP but wet paper towel defenses like most Warrior archetypes. Ferdinand and Edelgard are good tanks in my playthrough, but anyone can hypothetically become a good tank if they get lucky with defense levelups, or a bad one with poor luck.

e: Actually I looked it up and that's not true, he's got good defense and resistance growth, but if you put him in the classes he defaults to (axe fighter and fist fighter types) he will end up with poor defenses because those classes have bad defense growths. If you make him an armor knight he'll get good defense.

The best base defense growth chance characters are Dedue (50%), Gilbert/Raphael (45%), Dimitri/Leonie/Sylvaine/Alois (40%), Edelgard/Ferdinand/Hilda (35%), and then a bunch including Byleth at 30%, and then about that many below 30%.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Have been buying up and saving up fishing bait since like month 4 ever since I learned about fistfuls of fish event, have now been fishing for about 3 hours straight, please send help

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Have been buying up and saving up fishing bait since like month 4 ever since I learned about fistfuls of fish event, have now been fishing for about 3 hours straight, please send help

you fool

BahamutZERO.gif
    Enc wrote: »
    FYI, if you buy the digital DLC update after the game it will brick the software with no functional solution. Got the game yesterday, the DLC today, and now see that I'm pretty much screwed on this purchase until Nintendo gets around to patching a solution.

Possible help: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/d0o2rt/fire_emblem_three_houses_crashing_on_startup_any/ezba0y4/

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Man, I'm stuck trying to figure out what I want my pairings to be in my Golden Deer run. Some of them seem onerous to execute, so I don't want to put them off, which is why I'm trying to get this done in Chapter 9.
    So far I've only got Lysithea / Hanneman for sure, because it's the only pairing other than with Byleth that cures her. My team right now has, other than the default Deer: Ferdinand, Dorothea, Petra, Ingrid, Felix, Catherine, Shamir, Hanneman, and Manuela. Dorothea is the one I'm having the most trouble with, because I'm not inflicting Lorenz on her and I think I want to put Ferdinand with Marianne for the lulz (he makes a bronze statue of her!). Catherine / Shamir is also just about locked in, unless breaking them up is the only way to square the circle.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Dorothea/Manuela and Dorothea/Petra are both pretty great!

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Man, I'm stuck trying to figure out what I want my pairings to be in my Golden Deer run. Some of them seem onerous to execute, so I don't want to put them off, which is why I'm trying to get this done in Chapter 9.
    So far I've only got Lysithea / Hanneman for sure, because it's the only pairing other than with Byleth that cures her. My team right now has, other than the default Deer: Ferdinand, Dorothea, Petra, Ingrid, Felix, Catherine, Shamir, Hanneman, and Manuela. Dorothea is the one I'm having the most trouble with, because I'm not inflicting Lorenz on her and I think I want to put Ferdinand with Marianne for the lulz (he makes a bronze statue of her!). Catherine / Shamir is also just about locked in, unless breaking them up is the only way to square the circle.

We aren't trying to breed the kwisatz haderach so let nature take its course?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I haven't seen Dorothea/Manuela yet but it kinda skeeves me out, just because of Dorothea's hero worship of her (I'm trying to avoid student/teacher romantic pairings in general). I considered Dorothea/Petra but I think I would then need to split Catherine/Shamir to have matched endings for all my main characters.

Ferdinand goes with Bernadetta if you can possibly make it happen . You'll see why at their A rank.

Dorothea has kind of iffy pairing options in general, but without going into further detail Felix and Dorothea actually have a solidly romantic ending on non-Azure Moon runs.

Petra and Dorothea have a pretty good BFFs ending as well if you can't think of any other good pairings.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    I haven't seen Dorothea/Manuela yet but it kinda skeeves me out, just because of Dorothea's hero worship of her (I'm trying to avoid student/teacher romantic pairings in general). I considered Dorothea/Petra but I think I would then need to split Catherine/Shamir to have matched endings for all my main characters.

Well Catherine doesn't deserve love so you can split her off easy enough

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

Linhardt also cures Lysithea, but if you didn't recruit him and you're past the timeskip whoops.

regarding catherine
    are there any supports that go into what exactly happened with house charon and her? so far she's mentioned it (I think to lorenz or linhardt, I forget which one)

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Linhardt also cures Lysithea, but if you didn't recruit him and you're past the timeskip whoops.

regarding catherine
    are there any supports that go into what exactly happened with house charon and her? so far she's mentioned it (I think to lorenz or linhardt, I forget which one)

Yea one support at least mentions it.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    edited September 2019
    I like most of the cast in this game. And I like all of the cast in combat at their best.

But Bernadetta is not endearing or funny. She's horrifying.

Everyone else...like, even if they're a "love to hate" kind of person, like they're really vain, or a womanzier, or a schemer, they all eventually have some backstory rounding them out and explaining why they are the way they are. So even when you later do another C support and they're being inappropriate or annoying, you understand why, and it changes the context a little.

Bernadetta also has backstory and I can be sympathetic, but I don't feel like it lessens the impact of the way she reacts to anyone and anything. I think they're trying to play it for laughs but she has a legit mental illness and desperately needs help. I can't laugh at it. When she's not screaming in fear at the slightest encounter, she's getting unnecessarily aggro, always assuming the worst intentions. I kinda feel bad for her but I also feel just as bad for everyone else. I feel like if this were a real place they would either hold an intervention ("WE. ARE. YOUR. FRIENDS. FUCKING STOP.") or send her away because she clearly can't function in this environment.

And it doesn't help either as a player, as someone just playing/watching this as a source of entertainment, it's not entertaining to hear the constant screams, whining, and paranoia. Every support with her is like "oh god, what's going to be her malfunction this time."

Like as an alternate example, there's Linhardt, who is stereotypically lazy, but half of his supports are also about how smart he is and giving genuinely good advice and how he only needs to apply himself a little. It's not just "how is he going to be lazy this time ha ha."

Anyway I know we're supposed to roll our eyes and say "that's our Bernadetta!" but I can't.

Maybe things will improve later.

And like I said at the beginning, I do like everyone in combat, even her, because it feels like for a moment she gets to be a badass and gets to shine and build some confidence. Even though she still has some nervous voice clips it's almost like a different character.

UncleSporky on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Bernadetta, sort of like Marianne, develops a lot during the timeskip—it's reflected mostly in her A ranks

This is somewhat more noticeable and more concrete if you play on Crimson Flower than on any other path

They never stop playing her for laughs, though

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    edited September 2019
    I dunno, I personally think they handled the anxiety/fear of bernadetta really well, and although I have not seen Marianne, I have heard they did her as well. For those that don't know her, she is the weird girl who doesn't come out and that is reflected in the initial reactions people have to her.

But once you start building relationships with her and others they come to realize, she has a reason and they reach out to her. Plus the thing to remember is you are the protagonist but also the hand of god manipulating people to do whatever so while you get the benefit of seeing all her interactions and get all her story whereas the individual characters don't.

Imagine you are a student in a new class and you have this one random kid who every time you pull try to talk to them they freak out and run away. You are likely going to be like wtf just happened and probably laugh at the situation from your side since you don't expect someone to do that, especially when you don't know anything about the person.

I actually made a post about Bernies C rank supports and how horrifying they were after learning about her story though all my interactions with her. For example,
    Ingrid
    kicks down her door post time skip because she thinks Bern doesn't want to work and is being lazy

or Felix who admittedly is an asshole to most everyone blows her off as some freak

They both have a growing understanding of why she does things as you build supports.

I think the best one so far is Bernie and Dorothea
    bernie is being Bernie and thinks no one likes her and isn't her friend, but Dorothea is all wtf did I just see. Dorothea then builds trust and sticks it out to understand her, and show her that she is there for her.

I think it has been well done. I can totally see where if you take her at face level, they are being lol shy introvert, but as someone with a kid who is different, and has anxiety and other social stuff, I get it. He can be weird or seem like an asshole to people he first meets, but he has a deep backstory that people don't know about.

/ramble

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited September 2019
    Neither an intervention nor sending her away will work for her particular situation. You don't just corner and scream louder at someone who's been traumatized their entire life and expect it to work, and she's there because she's forced to be there - if you send her away she'll just be forced to go back. Thankfully despite how she's played off by much of the game, she does genuinely improve over time though, so she's a lot stronger than you might think. (she gets even better or regresses again based on her ending pairings, though)

For Lindhardt, most characters are more annoyed with him than see him as a joke because they know he can do great if he applies himself but doesn't, while they're here working their asses off to do even half of what he can.

Donnicton on
    Neither an intervention nor sending her away will work for her particular situation. You don't just corner and scream louder at someone who's been traumatized their entire life and expect it to work, and she's there because she's forced to be there - if you send her away she'll just be forced to go back.

That's what everyone does, though. In nearly every support people are like "BERNADETTA! What is your problem?! I was literally just walking in this hallway!"

In at least one she showed signs of getting the message when they were able to spend time with her and get her focused. That's why an intervention might work. An event meant for talking to her, as friends, and not just a random interaction in the hallway when everyone is busy with something else.

Also as far as sending her away, I meant more along the lines of informing the parent/guardian and saying this isn't working out. I know that would probably be disastrous for her, but I'm not saying it would be a good solution. That's why it's an either/or. In real life someone acting like that might be sent away for the safety/sanity of the other students.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Possible help: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/d0o2rt/fire_emblem_three_houses_crashing_on_startup_any/ezba0y4/

Thanks for this, going to try it tonight.

This discussion has been closed.