As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hurricane Dorian] has dissipated. Bahamas casualty count still unknown.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The US is now refusing to allow anyone from the Bahamas without a US Visa into the country.

People trying to evacuate via ferry’s were forced to get off and stay on the island.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Just absolutely shameful

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The US is now refusing to allow anyone from the Bahamas without a US Visa into the country.

People trying to evacuate via ferry’s were forced to get off and stay on the island.

We're the baddies, aren't we?

steam_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

We're the baddies, aren't we?

Might as well start putting skulls on everything

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Just checking in. Hope all my fellow Maritimers made it through okay. Aside from a power outage from mid Saturday to Sunday evening, my area made it through alright.

Between drinks and guitar, it took us a moment to realize the power had come back on. I think it started with an exclamation from a friend who was in the bathroom at the time.

TubularLuggage on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

can we source this one please? I've heard nothing about this so far!

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Immigration thread has the links, with pictures.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

Brian Entin is a reporter for WSVN working out of Florida.

Around 75,000 people were rendered homeless by Dorian from the Bahamas. Most of the disaster refugees are heading to Nassau and Florida. The capital of the Bahamas cannot handle taking all the people so the lions share need to head to Florida. This last minute change to require people get official documents that were lost in a massive hurricane that destroyed everything they own is going to cause mass deaths as people are forced into a crowded city that cannot possibly handle the crisis of this severity.

If this belongs in the Dorian thread then my apologies. This has the distinct stink of the Steven Miller immigration attitudes.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    How did we get to this point? Jesus Christ have a fucking heart.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

We turned away Jewish children fleeing from the Holocaust. This is nothing new.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Anyone who says “America is better than this” is objectively wrong, and this can be added to the pile of reasons why.

My nation has its share of skeletons and dirty laundry, but at this point it feels like the pettiest hope I can manage is that history is unkind to this administration, and that unlike many other dark eras of US history, it isn’t just whitewashed over.

It needs to be looked at unflinchingly.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    America should be better than this.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

The "promise" of America has almost always failed to live up to the reality of America.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

The "promise" of America has almost always failed to live up to the reality of America.

There are a plethora of cats in america and the streets are paved with asphalt.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    It's ok guys, it looks like another one is coming towards the Bahamas and Florida, so we'll get a second chance to do the right thing.

Krieghund wrote: »
    It's ok guys, it looks like another one is coming towards the Bahamas and Florida, so we'll get a second chance to do the right thing.
    NOAA wrote:
    2. Disorganized cloudiness and showers located a few hundred miles
    north and northeast of the Greater Antilles are associated with a
    surface trough interacting with an upper-level low. Little to no
    development of this system is expected during the next day or two
    while the system moves west-northwestward, north of the Greater
    Antilles. Environmental conditions could become a little more
    conducive for development when the disturbance moves near the
    Bahamas and Florida late this week.
    * Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
    * Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

It might strengthen into something, but probably (hopefully) not. Most of the heat needed still hasn't replenished from Dorian.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Krieghund wrote: »

I kinda want to say evacuate the island entirely. Just get everyone off.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.

You know, I'm not exactly a flag-waving patriot here. And I'm certainly not an apologist for our garbage national policies. But when it comes to this sort of thing I get more than a little irritated.

Yeah, we have a shitty government, and have had shitty governments for a long time. But I just spent most of Sunday fundraising for Bahamas relief and pretty much everyone I know here in Orlando has been doing something to support in whatever way we can. We're all appalled about those ferry videos. That's not who we are as Floridians.

When I say we should be better, it's because the American people largely are better than this. We just aren't represented fairly in our government.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Whee, electrons are flowing again. That sucked, but sucked less than I was expecting, especially after Juan.

Highlight of the mess was listening to the CEO of Prince Edward Island's power company on the radio: "Well, the damage mainly seems to be concentrated in the eastern, western and central parts of the province.."

Also, I'm really enjoying not being the guy whose company owned that construction crane right now.

When I say we should be better, it's because the American people largely are better than this. We just aren't represented fairly in our government.

Wasn't meant to offend. There are absolutely individuals and communities that step up in outstanding, even heroic, ways.

But it's hard to not paint with a wide brush when it's more than anecdotal. Fact is, while a minority MIGHT be responsible for this clusterfuck, and every clusterfuck for the last 2+ centuries, the fact is, a majority of Americans are at least okay with the current state of affairs. Or at least okay with it enough that they don’t show up to vote.

When people step up (and massive frikkin kudos for doing so), it's awesome. Just wish more people were like you. World would probably be a better place.

Or if people gave a shit enough to note vote Voldemort to the Senate. :)

edited September 2019

Wasn't meant to offend. There are absolutely individuals and communities that step up in outstanding, even heroic, ways.

But it's hard to not paint with a wide brush when it's more than anecdotal. Fact is, while a minority MIGHT be responsible for this clusterfuck, and every clusterfuck for the last 2+ centuries, the fact is, a majority of Americans are at least okay with the current state of affairs. Or at least okay with it enough that they don’t show up to vote.

When people step up (and massive frikkin kudos for doing so), it's awesome. Just wish more people were like you. World would probably be a better place.

Again, this is not true. Even in the last horrific election the majority weren't for Trump. The vast majority of Americans do vote against Voldemorte, we're just gerrymandered in such a way that our votes are meaningless and that rural states with tiny populations and economies, and are influence by very powerful lobbies, have more say in our government than the states that actually house the majority of the populations. Look at any voting map, anywhere there is an actual city will nearly always be blue, and rural places with nowhere near the population will be red. America is ruled by those appointed by a minority of white, rural voters more than otherwise.

Enc on

Again, this is not true. Even in the last horrific election the majority weren't for Trump. The vast majority of Americans do vote against Voldemorte, we're just gerrymandered in such a way that our votes are meaningless and that rural states with tiny populations and economies, and are influence by very powerful lobbies, have more say in our government than the states that actually house the majority of the populations. Look at any voting map, anywhere there is an actual city will nearly always be blue, and rural places with nowhere near the population will be red. America is ruled by those appointed by a minority of white, rural voters more than otherwise.

By majority, I was including the 10's of millions of eligible voters, or who could be (that weren't disenfranchised), who chose not to vote. That voter turnout tops out at ~60%, is frankly obscene*. That's what I mean. Up to 40% of the voterbase are fine with the status quo, on top of the 29% of voters that voted for Trump.
    * Though I'll admit, I would be scared at turnout numbers if my home country didn't have compulsory voting too.

And don't disagree that rural areas with gerrymandering and Senate allocation are a problem. But it's not considered a serious enough issue that the majority of Americans give a shit. Or they'd be out there in Hong Kong style numbers.

Also, Voldemort is Rick Scott. Probably should have been clearer there. He had disenfranchisement help, but Senate races aren't gerrymandered.

But this is getting off topic (happy to discuss privately), and I thank you for your work on the relief efforts you've done. I'll throw another $20 José Andreas's way (donated when I recommended WCK earlier in the thread) as my way of contributing further to the effort, when I get home.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I feel like carnival and princess and Disney should just send all their cruise ships over there and house everyone

VishNub wrote: »
    I feel like carnival and princess and Disney should just send all their cruise ships over there and house everyone

This is preposterous. How would they make any money then?

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

This is preposterous. How would they make any money then?

Re-release Infinity War and Endgame on IMAX?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular

Eh. It's the classic collective action problem. To really make a difference you need millions if not billions of dollars of resources directed to the bahamas. Relying on any company to take that kind of loss for good PR is unlikely, but also sort of unfair. The government is super well equipped to deal with disaster relief, if it chooses to do so.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    edited September 2019
    Edit: Sorry never mind.

urahonky on

Given the number of times Carnival ships have come into town with norovirus outbreaks on board, some of which they neglected to inform the city about while disembarking passengers, I think I'd almost rather take my chances on the island.

(Working next door to the terminal on days when CBSA people came by with an "oh by the way" and a box full of sanitizer is one of the things I don't miss..)

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

Remember, comparing the internment camps to the Holocaust is a anti-Semitism*
    *according to the US Holocaust Museum.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    one would think that museum would be shouting for their end from the rooftops

that's kind of sad and disheartening

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    That is....I'm kind of hoping a pressure from federal levels shitty thing, and not a grief olympics thing? I am...not happy either way. I'd think there would be room in peoples heads for "these concentration camps occurred and were atrocities, and these other camps are occurring and are also atrocities"

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Eh. It's the classic collective action problem. To really make a difference you need millions if not billions of dollars of resources directed to the bahamas. Relying on any company to take that kind of loss for good PR is unlikely, but also sort of unfair. The government is super well equipped to deal with disaster relief, if it chooses to do so.

Though there is a win-win situation where the government would pay for the ships usage as temp housing (or transit to the USA if we hadn’t gone full NAZI already). It’s hurricane season and one of the prime destinations is totally destroyed, so the cruise companies would get cash they wouldn’t get otherwise and people get saved. If only we had a great negotiator in the White House.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    That is....I'm kind of hoping a pressure from federal levels shitty thing, and not a grief olympics thing? I am...not happy either way. I'd think there would be room in peoples heads for "these concentration camps occurred and were atrocities, and these other camps are occurring and are also atrocities"

Which still doesn't change the idea that Americans have turned away refugees who faced death back home many, many times. As others mentioned, we even turn away refugees who directly assisted our war efforts and face execution in their home countries for being American collaborators.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Right, sorry, my post was a bit off topic

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)

It was. The actual staff at the museum were calling the camps what they were until the federally-appointed higher-ups started proclaiming the official line.

I worked at a different museum where discussion of a similar subject got hit in much the same way a few years back. It is unbelievably frustrating watching the people whose entire job is "know what I'm talking about" suddenly getting overruled on matter of historical fact by political staff.

So, in the neverending absurdist drama that is the current Administration...

Former NOAA Deputy Administrator says "national weather staff ‘worried they won’t be able to do their jobs’ after Trump demands report change".
    https://www.rawstory.com/2019/09/national-weather-staff-worried-they-wont-be-able-to-do-their-jobs-after-trump-demands-report-change-former-noaa-chief/
    Can't vouch for the credentials of the organization publishing the story, but the part that matters is a transcript of a clip from MSNBC (~3:00 and ~6:50 into the clip) of her saying what is in the transcript, linked at the bottom of the article.

The NOAA head scientist "is investigating whether the agency’s response to President Trump’s Hurricane Dorian tweets constituted a violation of NOAA policies and ethics." The director of the NWS is also in disagreement with NOAA over their defense of Trump's bullshit.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/09/09/noaas-chief-scientist-will-investigate-why-agency-backed-trump-over-its-experts-dorian-email-shows/

And finally, because what Trump story doesn't come with a massive abuse of power issue?

Commerce Chief Wilbur Ross threatened firings at NOAA after Trump's hurricane tweets after the agency's Alabama office contradicted the President's claims.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/climate/hurricane-dorian-trump-tweet.html

I fucking hate these people so much.

Raw Story is generally pretty good

Fencingsax wrote: »
    Raw Story is generally pretty good

Good to know.

I wasn't sure, and unless it's something like WaPo or NYT, which everyone should know, I try to put disclaimers in case it turns out to be something pretty fringe.