As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yellow light PS4 controller on PC

manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?!Registered User regular
edited September 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
So the power died at my place the other day, and my PlayStation 4 controller hasn't worked since. When I plug it in, it flashes yellow. When I push the PS button, it flashes light blue a few times. DS4 doesn't detect it at all, nor does Windows 7. I know this is likely some kind of hardware issue, but I'm at a loss at where to start. Or how to troubleshoot, given apparently this error message can mean any number of things. The only thing I see in human interface devices is HDI compliant consumer control device, and another that's compliant device. Disabling and re-enabling these did nothing. Any hints would be helpful.

manwiththemachinegun on

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There's a small reset button near the L2 button, use a paperclip to press it in. Then plug it in and see if that fixed things.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Flashing yellow when plugged in means its charging. Flashing blue when you hit the PS button means it's trying to connect wirelessly to something, but obviously failing.

Stupid question, but you are plugging it into your PC, right? At the very least Windows should detect the thing as a generic controller when plugged in. If it's not, I don't know what the issue might be. Only thing I can think of is to go into Devices and Printers and if there's a Wireless Controller there, try removing it and then plug it in again.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's plugged in with the USB. But windows is reading nothing, which is odd. No sound that anything's been plugged in. I hope the storm didn't brick it.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Looking on Steam, it might mean the driver software is fucked. Maybe if you went in and removed the drivers and got it to download a fresh copy when you plugged it back in?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Can you put the controller into Bluetooth pairing mode?

Hold the PS button and the share button for 5sec

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The USB port on my PS4 controllers has ruined several USB cables when it's been violently disconnected by my cats. Fortunately the controller itself is totally fine but I've had to replace the cords several times.

It not being detected by windows is usually the first sign my cord has probably had the connector bent or damaged, even if it lights up and intermittently tries to charge.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    There's a small reset button near the L2 button, use a paperclip to press it in. Then plug it in and see if that fixed things.
    To do a full reset, I think you can hold the paperclip button in for 15 (or maybe 30?) seconds.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Looking on Steam, it might mean the driver software is fucked. Maybe if you went in and removed the drivers and got it to download a fresh copy when you plugged it back in?

I already tried going to control panel and uninstalled all of the HDI devices that were detected. Plugging it in again after that was a no-go. I'm not sure exactly what kind of drivers I'm using or where they are to be honest. I use DS4 exclusively.

I'll look into getting another cord and see if that makes a difference, the USB port on my PC is working since I just tested a flash drive on it. Which makes it extra weird I'm not even getting a notification when I plug the controller in, other than the yellow light.

• Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »

I already tried going to control panel and uninstalled all of the HDI devices that were detected. Plugging it in again after that was a no-go. I'm not sure exactly what kind of drivers I'm using or where they are to be honest. I use DS4 exclusively.

I'll look into getting another cord and see if that makes a difference, the USB port on my PC is working since I just tested a flash drive on it. Which makes it extra weird I'm not even getting a notification when I plug the controller in, other than the yellow light.

Does the controller go into Bluetooth pairing mode when you hold share and the PS button for a few seconds?

It will start blinking white

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I'll check that when I get back. The reset too.

to expand the conversation, is a PS4 controller still considered easy to get working for modern gaming? I'm running it off Windows 7, and I hate having to do this extra setup to get it working. Are there official drivers now that work with steam, emulators, excetera? Or are there other controllers that are roughly equal to a Playstation layout, but are easier to get working?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    PS4 works natively with steam.

Although some/most games will still give you Xbox button prompts on screen, you just need to convert abxy to square circle triangle x

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Yes, when I hold the PS button it flashes white/light blue.

• Options
    All right, it's a happy ending to this story, I did get it fixed. It was the USB cable, It must have given up the ghost during the storm. Swapping it out with a new store bought one,bit popped up instantly and it's been working great. Thanks again.