As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] of Holding

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Heart skipped a beat seeing a certain trending hashtag but it turns out that's just the abbreviations for Northern Ireland playing Germany.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Do the bodies decompose in a controlled environment? I thought open air decomposition had epidemiological implications. Like, that it drove disease in eg sieges, where the starved corpses overwhelmed burial capacity

I guess close proximity is a difference

I would bet my left nut that you're not allowed to have grandpa composting in open air

(I mean few people manage to actually compost their lawn clippings, let alone a body)

ftOqU21.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The bosses in Control actively make the game much worse. God. Damn.

PSN: Honkalot
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I don't know what's going on with my head;

It's not a headache, I don't think I am dehydrated, and I didn't drink yesterday.

This kicked in 2 hrs ago, and my brain is "fuzzy". I'm having trouble concentrating and thinking of the task at hand.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I thought the bacteria from human bodies decomposing made it unsuitable for use in gardening?

I suppose they could carefully sterilize it after the body is done breaking down

the company linked in the article has a faq which claims that it's safe?
    HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS PROCESS IS SAFE?
    Natural organic reduction is a managed biological process used to convert organic material, including human remains, into a stable earthy organic material that is unrecognizable as human remains. During the process, change occurs on a molecular level.

A form of natural organic reduction has been practiced for decades by farmers as a way of recycling livestock back to the earth. The safety of this practice has been well documented by many different Departments of Ecology and research universities around the United States.

In 2018, Washington State University completed research to demonstrate that natural organic reduction is a safe and effective means of human disposition. The results of that study can be read here.
    At the end of the 30 days, we screen for non-organics and make sure the resultant soil is finished.
    WHAT ABOUT PATHOGENS (I.E. MICROORGANISMS THAT CAN CAUSE DISEASE)?
    Natural organic reduction creates the perfect environment for microbes and beneficial bacteria to thrive. When they do, they create temperatures of 120-160 degrees Fahrenheit. These temperatures destroy harmful pathogens, and transform the body, wood chips, and straw into a final material which is safe for humans and plant life.
    ARE THERE ANY INSTANCES WHERE SOMEONE WOULD NOT BE A CANDIDATE FOR NATURAL ORGANIC REDUCTION?
    The process of natural organic reduction destroys most harmful pathogens. However, there is not enough evidence showing that the process breaks down prion disease. So, someone who has died of a prion disease, such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, would not be a candidate for natural organic reduction. Similarly, someone who has died of a highly contagious disease such as Ebola (an outbreak of which would be managed by the CDC) would not be a candidate for organic reduction.

so idk that could be marketing but

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    For most Americans, there are two main choices after death: burial or cremation. But now people in Washington State have a third legal option: They can have their bodies turned into soil.

Gov. Jay Inslee signed legislation on Wednesday allowing the practice of “aboveground decomposition,” making Washington the first state in the nation — and likely the first place in the world, legal experts said — to explicitly allow human remains to become compost.
    The bodies decomposed after about four weeks, the researchers said, producing about one cubic yard of soil per person.
    The two traditional means of disposing of human remains come with drawbacks. Burial takes up land, which is increasingly scarce in cities. And cremation, which recently surpassed burial as the most popular choice for disposing of human remains, produces significant greenhouse gases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/us/human-composting-washington.html

I think this is great! I love the idea of my corpse being useful for growing something

I thought the bacteria from human bodies decomposing made it unsuitable for use in gardening?

I suppose they could carefully sterilize it after the body is done breaking down

I think it's all the chemicals put in the body pre-burial, so if you don't get embalmed your just meat like any other animal...it should work as dirt

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Heart skipped a beat seeing a certain trending hashtag but it turns out that's just the abbreviations for Northern Ireland playing Germany.
    #DublerAlles

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    For most Americans, there are two main choices after death: burial or cremation. But now people in Washington State have a third legal option: They can have their bodies turned into soil.

Gov. Jay Inslee signed legislation on Wednesday allowing the practice of “aboveground decomposition,” making Washington the first state in the nation — and likely the first place in the world, legal experts said — to explicitly allow human remains to become compost.
    The bodies decomposed after about four weeks, the researchers said, producing about one cubic yard of soil per person.
    The two traditional means of disposing of human remains come with drawbacks. Burial takes up land, which is increasingly scarce in cities. And cremation, which recently surpassed burial as the most popular choice for disposing of human remains, produces significant greenhouse gases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/us/human-composting-washington.html

I think this is great! I love the idea of my corpse being useful for growing something

paging @Evil Multifarious and his weird love of The Fountain

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    edited September 2019
    Kruite wrote: »

It's not a headache, I don't think I am dehydrated, and I didn't drink yesterday.

This kicked in 2 hrs ago, and my brain is "fuzzy". I'm having trouble concentrating and thinking of the task at hand.

have a sandwich

or maybe some orange juice and soda

blood sugar would be my bet

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Quasi-relatedly, I was reading this post about how Georgette Heyer novels are secretly forced-masc fantasies and I was thinking I hadn't read any Georgette Heyer novels but then I'm like oh, wait, I did read The Corinthian years ago, and yes I do recall quite enjoying its particular brand of historical queer-flavored cross-dressing heterosexual romance
    There is no force-masc fantasy more powerful than this! The straightest, hottest guy in the world, God’s own quarterback, doesn’t care that it looks gay when he’s kissing you. Go straight to jail, do not collect $200, it’s all over but the shouting, it’s Chinatown baby, this is it.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

You probably just need a little caffeine/cocaine/meth pick me up

I thought the heavy metals we accumulate during our life time were a problem for decomp.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Sexual racism is very obviously real but surely there are also visceral and emotional components that dictate we can't cajole people into liking things they don't want to like. Is sexual kink and desire mutable enough that people could sit and interrogate themselves into liking something completely different? I am not sure it can be done or that it is a good thing to do so.

You keep talking about cajoling and imposing change, so I guess I'm not explaining myself well

It's about understanding what those desires mean for that person and the culture they're built from; to the extent that they are changed by this interrogation, I'm talking (optimistically) about a person understanding that meaning, and if it reveals something unpleasant, working to change it themselves

To me "daddy" in that context accesses a towering stack of cultural baggage and the fucked up way our society depicts, sees and relates to fatherhood and fathers; that's why it works, why any taboo works

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I think that conflating sexual racism—which is extremely real and harms people in obvious ways—with saying “daddy” is a mistake. Saying daddy feels icky to people and they have a just so story about why it shows you have the wrong sort of interests, but it’s very speculative and even more so any harms from the practice are very speculative.

IMO, like many cultural differences, people start with the ick reaction and then work backward to some mediocre, unfalsifiable rationalization. Yes, I agree that in principle we can scrutinize things. But also we shouldn’t fall into the trap of white western feminists in the 90s who just assumed that anything they found icky and offputting about the global south, in light of their own preconceptions, was therefore patriarchy and definitely everyone down there’s fault. The first step is trying a little harder to understand how people actually experience things.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i would like my body to be used to grow trees or fungi or whatever

poo
    edited September 2019
    "forced-masc" is a needless abbreviation that's new to me but it's at the top of my most hated list already

(that list includes all of them)

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Fuck this gaaaaaaaaame

PSN: Honkalot
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I thought the heavy metals we accumulate during our life time were a problem for decomp.

just echoing screeching guitar riffs everywhere

Bless your heart.
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    well, time to make yogurt/berry/granola bowl

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Celeste is very good

igBAqV6h.png

Hmm googling on the subject got me a paper on the metal toxicity in the largest Rawandan mass grave and it's a single author who definitely dug up dirt and did ICPMS on it. That's enough internet for today.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So many games have fun combat and then throw a boss at you that is neither fun, nor makes use of the previously fun combat.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

I don't think that would affect the process in any appreciable way

the amount of heavy metals that an alive being can survive is another order of magnitude than the amount of heavy metals that will pose a problem for bacteria

ftOqU21.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Celeste is very good

[img]htt.ps://i.imgur.com/igBAqV6h.png[/img]

*looks at Switch Backlog*

*Looks back to the image*

Fuck, fine. I'll play the symbolism game!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited September 2019
    friends I finally found a therapist I am interested in working with who has an opening that I can make it to, next monday

I am excited and nervous

she incorporates meditation into her stuff so hopefully that will be good and I'm not joining a cult

skippydumptruck on
    Sexual racism is very obviously real but surely there are also visceral and emotional components that dictate we can't cajole people into liking things they don't want to like. Is sexual kink and desire mutable enough that people could sit and interrogate themselves into liking something completely different? I am not sure it can be done or that it is a good thing to do so.

You keep talking about cajoling and imposing change, so I guess I'm not explaining myself well

It's about understanding what those desires mean for that person and the culture they're built from; to the extent that they are changed by this interrogation, I'm talking (optimistically) about a person understanding that meaning, and if it reveals something unpleasant, working to change it themselves

To me "daddy" in that context accesses a towering stack of cultural baggage and the fucked up way our society depicts, sees and relates to fatherhood and fathers; that's why it works, why any taboo works
    Okay but what if Daddy fetish exists even in highly egalitarian societies that value fatherhood and fathers? Wouldn't the transgressive kink just take another form?

MrMister wrote: »
    I think that conflating sexual racism—which is extremely real and harms people in obvious ways—with saying “daddy” is a mistake. Saying daddy feels icky to people and they have a just so story about why it shows you have the wrong sort of interests, but it’s very speculative and even more so any harms from the practice are very speculative.

IMO, like many cultural differences, people start with the ick reaction and then work backward to some mediocre, unfalsifiable rationalization. Yes, I agree that in principle we can scrutinize things. But also we shouldn’t fall into the trap of white western feminists in the 90s who just assumed that anything they found icky and offputting about the global south, in light of their own preconceptions, was therefore patriarchy and definitely everyone down there’s fault. The first step is trying a little harder to understand how people actually experience things.

Again, I'm not even saying that people who say "daddy" should even stop. It's more like, the fact that people say it and use it this way means we should wonder about how we engage with fatherhood and power relationships, broadly and individually. That's what I mean by fraught.

I could be looking for more than is there, certainly. Do you think people would say "daddy" in a culture where the norm is loose gender roles on a spectrum, large polycules raising children, and less authoritarian approaches to parenting? Actually maybe they'd say it just as much because of the taboo of regression, hmmm

Abdhyius wrote: »

I don't think that would affect the process in any appreciable way

the amount of heavy metals that an alive being can survive is another order of magnitude than the amount of heavy metals that will pose a problem for bacteria
    Oops I wasn't thinking about the bacteria. I was more worried that decomping in your yard could poison groundwater or municipal sporadically where as cemeteries are highly contaminated but it's all concentrated. Like a heavy metal landfill.

"forced-masc" is a needless abbreviation that's new to me but it's at the top of my most hated list already

“Forced-masculisation” is a mouthful!

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

“Forced-masculisation” is a mouthful!

Yeah i think thats the idea

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I see we hit peak thought wave at 11:01 and 11:02.

friends I finally found a therapist I am interested in working with who has an opening that I can make it to, next monday

I am excited and nervous

she incorporates meditation into her stuff so hopefully that will be good and I'm not joining a cult
    whynotboth.jpg

Okay but what if Daddy fetish exists even in highly egalitarian societies that value fatherhood and fathers? Wouldn't the transgressive kink just take another form?

This is sort of a broader question about sexual psychology, which I'm even less certain about

Would a utopian progressive society still pursue transgressive kinks (seems likely, but I think we're all too fucked up to tell)

If nothing were really transgressive, would they be less excited by sex overall

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I am excited and nervous

I just found out my former therapist dropped my insurance. Hopefully she can recommend someone, but fuck it sucks because finding a good one is difficult.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Trans*gressive is the name of my new queer indie porn studio

This is sort of a broader question about sexual psychology, which I'm even less certain about

Would a utopian progressive society still pursue transgressive kinks (seems likely, but I think we're all too fucked up to tell)

If nothing were really transgressive, would they be less excited by sex overall
    I bet we would always find a way to be transgressive.

FUCK YEAH THAT NEUTRAL GRAY SHIFT SHOWS ALL YOUR NON AUGMENTED SPINAL PORTS JUST WAITING TO BE INTEGRATED

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    skippy
    dont you wanna join this cult of personality
    *guitar riff*

Bless your heart.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Of all the kinds of cults a cult of personality seems like the worst kind to be in

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Time for bed.

Doodmann wrote: »
    I just found out my former therapist dropped my insurance. Hopefully she can recommend someone, but fuck it sucks because finding a good one is difficult.

this lady doesn't take insurance at all so I guess yay that I can afford to pay out of pocket

This discussion has been closed.