As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] of Holding

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    So many games have fun combat and then throw a boss at you that is neither fun, nor makes use of the previously fun combat.

I think Control really actually does have great boss fights; however, it doesn't have fucking checkpoints for long-ass fights so you have to do the Dark Souls runback and then redo the actions necessary to trigger the fight and the loading times are a problem

The fights themselves are really, really good tho

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    If anything, sexual preferences seem so mutable that it kind of conflicts with my position

Like, using "icky" terms could just be an entirely superficial habit you pick up because you did it a few times on a partner's request, and now you kinda think it's hot reflexively

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Is EM dying on the hill of "cummies?"

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    If anything, sexual preferences seem so mutable that it kind of conflicts with my position

Like, using "icky" terms could just be an entirely superficial habit you pick up because you did it a few times on a partner's request, and now you kinda think it's hot reflexively
    779liy2j1bbm.png

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Of all the kinds of cults a cult of personality seems like the worst kind to be in

unless you're the personality anyway

I mean, just because I ask women to call me "pappy" (like the bourbon) and they think I mean "papi,"

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I just found out my former therapist dropped my insurance. Hopefully she can recommend someone, but fuck it sucks because finding a good one is difficult.

this lady doesn't take insurance at all so I guess yay that I can afford to pay out of pocket

I probably could afford to just pay her, I am not planning on a long term stint...but I'm a cheap stubborn bastard, what's the point of health insurance if I'm not trying to make them pay for everything.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    That hill is too slippery, you can't stay on it to die

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    friends I finally found a therapist I am interested in working with who has an opening that I can make it to, next monday

I am excited and nervous

she incorporates meditation into her stuff so hopefully that will be good and I'm not joining a cult

Why did my head just do an always sunny opening with "Skippy Joins a Cult."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Shhh echo will hear you

Eddy wrote: »
    So many games have fun combat and then throw a boss at you that is neither fun, nor makes use of the previously fun combat.

I think Control really actually does have great boss fights; however, it doesn't have fucking checkpoints for long-ass fights so you have to do the Dark Souls runback and then redo the actions necessary to trigger the fight and the loading times are a problem

The fights themselves are really, really good tho

I was thinking more of a specific fight in Gears 5. Though having played Max Payne 1 and 2 remedy makes the worst boss fights.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Coinage wrote: »
    That hill is too slippery, you can't stay on it to die
    i6w87qxinicn.png

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I think there are a whole lot of people where, if you approached them reasonably and asked "is it possible you've internalized some not-great values about fatherhood, or race, or bodies, or [etc etc]?" they'd nod and be like sure, yeah, of course, I'm swimming in the same soup as everyone else. They wouldn't argue with you - but if you take the tack of coming off like you're trying to shame their kink, or their media taste, or whatever, will bristle.

And you can insist and insist that that's not what you're trying to do, that you're not trying to police anyone or anything, that you really just want to raise awareness - but past a certain point, isn't it a good idea to engage in some introspection of one's own to find out why one keeps choosing that particular tack?

rRwz9.gif
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I think there are a whole lot of people where, if you approached them reasonably and asked "is it possible you've internalized some not-great values about fatherhood, or race, or bodies, or [etc etc]?" they'd nod and be like sure, yeah, of course, I'm swimming in the same soup as everyone else. They wouldn't argue with you - but if you take the tack of coming off like you're trying to shame their kink, or their media taste, or whatever, will bristle.

And you can insist and insist that that's not what you're trying to do, that you're not trying to police anyone or anything, that you really just want to raise awareness - but past a certain point, isn't it a good idea to engage in some introspection of one's own to find out why one keeps choosing that particular tack?

You know Kosh I told you the corn thing was a one time thing, WHY DO WE HAVE TO KEEP TALKING ABOUT IT!?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Sexual racism is very obviously real but surely there are also visceral and emotional components that dictate we can't cajole people into liking things they don't want to like. Is sexual kink and desire mutable enough that people could sit and interrogate themselves into liking something completely different? I am not sure it can be done or that it is a good thing to do so.

You keep talking about cajoling and imposing change, so I guess I'm not explaining myself well

It's about understanding what those desires mean for that person and the culture they're built from; to the extent that they are changed by this interrogation, I'm talking (optimistically) about a person understanding that meaning, and if it reveals something unpleasant, working to change it themselves

To me "daddy" in that context accesses a towering stack of cultural baggage and the fucked up way our society depicts, sees and relates to fatherhood and fathers; that's why it works, why any taboo works
    Okay but what if Daddy fetish exists even in highly egalitarian societies that value fatherhood and fathers? Wouldn't the transgressive kink just take another form?

This is sort of a broader question about sexual psychology, which I'm even less certain about

Would a utopian progressive society still pursue transgressive kinks (seems likely, but I think we're all too fucked up to tell)

If nothing were really transgressive, would they be less excited by sex overall

I feel like the internet is almost a hypothetical case study of this

Given that even the most progressive parts of internet culture wind up with some pretty out there kinks, I'd say that they aren't going anywhere

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I mean, just because I ask women to call me "pappy" (like the bourbon) and they think I mean "papi,"

papi from Bubble Boy?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

You know Kosh I told you the corn thing was a one time thing, WHY DO WE HAVE TO KEEP TALKING ABOUT IT!?

preacher irl

1181592973345_f4_1a.jpg.fbbfd98c8bde716c0a2a26880029dea2.jpg

rRwz9.gif
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    i hate when people try to get me to do a remote activation for a new device because 100% of the time they fuck up every step of
    1) Turn your old device off
    2) DO NOT TURN ON YOUR NEW DEVICE YET STOP IT YOU DUMB SON OF A BITCH LEAVE BOTH DEVICES OFF NO PRESSING THE LOCK BUTTON AND TURNING OFF THE SCREEN DOES NOT MEAN THE PHONE IS OFF

Bless your heart.
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I disagree about the actual content of the bossfights in Control. Some of them would have been fun if not for a singular feature that was unbearable.

I really enjoy the regular fights where I am made to feel powerful but can’t get sloppy. In the bossfights you maintain your Rainbow Six healthpool, but pretty much can’t heal, and get hit even harder, and the boss often soaks damage like it was Gears.

The puzzle pieces don’t fit for me.

PSN: Honkalot
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    i hate when people try to get me to do a remote activation for a new device because 100% of the time they fuck up every step of
    1) Turn your old device off
    2) DO NOT TURN ON YOUR NEW DEVICE YET STOP IT YOU DUMB SON OF A BITCH LEAVE BOTH DEVICES OFF NO PRESSING THE LOCK BUTTON AND TURNING OFF THE SCREEN DOES NOT MEAN THE PHONE IS OFF

Instructions unclear they're both on.

edited September 2019

*notes jacobkosh under "criminal pervert" category*

Evil Multifarious on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i missed roland x0x drum machine [chat] but i must give a shout out to ya boy the 606

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vavn3V3XIN0

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    someone posted on social media that they heard some teens in brooklyn saying "well, there was some unnecessary ass eating"

2019 eh? time marches on

poo
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Only 29? People are really slacking in the age of Twitter

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I am my dog’s daddy and if anyone thinks otherwise I will fight them

Everyone has that creepy uncle Chris its ok you can tell us.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Chanus wrote: »
    i missed roland x0x drum machine [chat] but i must give a shout out to ya boy the 606

It predates the 808 by 202 versions exactly!

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The guy who's on Her Majesty's Secret Service and Captain America? Well of course they have a Special Relationship.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

they made a lot of electronic music gizmos in the 80s

a lot

a lot

Music was the fortnite of the 80s you could say.

Though fortnite is much more successful and important for culture of course.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The cast on that new Rian Johnson movie is ludicrously stacked.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Only 29? People are really slacking in the age of Twitter

why write a whole slashfic when tweet do trick

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • KanaKana Registered User regular

OTOH there is also a real thing I notice in internet culture where people just lob any ol' 5-second psychoanalysis of a stranger out there.

And then to deny it because it's stupid and poorly thought out is just like, invalid, the only way you can even approach it is through a narrative of like deep self-introspection and critique where you confess to some other sin to demonstrate your sincerity.

And it feels like there's some serial call-outers who thrive on that sort of power, because their critiques are inherently valid it makes them like social media judge jury and executioner of progressivism.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    the story of the 606 is pretty great

a bunch of hair metal douche guitarists in the 80s like man this thing is bullshit it doesn't sound like drums at all

and then some forward thinking heroes were like yeah but what if actually it sounds awesome and we make a bunch of industrial and crazy sounding techno records with it

and the rest is history

a lot

Music was the fortnite of the 80s you could say.

Though fortnite is much more successful and important for culture of course.

music only has like five dances for instance

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

I see you’re a man of culture . Jpg

Roland TD-80085

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    On this day, the 20th anniversary of the Dreamcast, we look back with fond memories. But never let it be forgotten that the controller was dogshit.

Just the worst.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
This discussion has been closed.