As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thunderbolt 3 eGPU and USB-C-to-HDMI-converter troubleshooting and recommendations

templewulftemplewulf The Team ChumpUSARegistered User regular
Since I carry a PC to client meetings, I wanted to try using it with an eGPU. I picked up an HP Spectre x360 Convertible and a Gigabyte AORUS 2070 Gaming Box. On first plug in, it worked flawlessly! The Thunderbolt Software picked up that a new device had been plugged in, I got the relevant dialog boxes, and then my monitor came up right away.

Sadly, the USB ports on the AORUS were so intermittent that I couldn't use the mouse or keyboard for more than a few seconds. I figured it couldn't hurt to update the Thunderbolt drivers. It did. Now, the eGPU still charges my laptop, but the PC no longer recognizes being connected to a Thunderbolt device. I also checked the "Attached Devices Chains" in the Thunderbolt Software, and it doesn't even list my ports, let alone the AORUS!

So now I'm in this situation where my laptop doesn't even know it has Thunderbolt ports. However, when I connect this USB-C to HDMI adapter for the Switch, it connects to the monitor correctly. This leaves me with a few troubleshooting questions:
  1. Is the Switch adapter TB or just HDMI over USB-C?
  2. Assuming the latter, that means the TB3 port retains its USB-C functionality. If so, does that imply that the TB hardware is also still intact?
  3. Is there a way to test the ports for TB hardware health, as distinct from the TB software that is failing to list them?
  4. If it is intact, how can I reset the Thunderbolt software to list those ports again?

As for recommendation questions:
  • Are there any new firmware or driver updates that could alleviate the USB-A issues on my AORUS eGPU?
  • Should I even pursue trying to get the AORUS USB ports to work? I've read that eGPUs that have only a single TB controller are plagued with USB-A issues.
  • Otherwise, what eGPU should I look for if I want a one cable solution? Is the whole one cable dream a dead end?

Thanks!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    My wife has an x360 and it had USB-C problems that were resolved temporarily by resetting the USB controller. This is done by powering down and holding down the power button for 30 seconds.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    My wife has an x360 and it had USB-C problems that were resolved temporarily by resetting the USB controller. This is done by powering down and holding down the power button for 30 seconds.

Hmm, on my machine it brought up the Windows recovery menu, and I didn't see any controller reset options.

But I didn't realize there was a hardware way to reset it, so that's a great tip for me up research; thank you!

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    did you try re-installing the thunderbolt driver, not just updating? Like, remove it, install the new version again, and see what happens.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    did you try re-installing the thunderbolt driver, not just updating? Like, remove it, install the new version again, and see what happens.

Yeah, I did a clean removal and restart before each install. I even tried reinstalling the previous version of the Thunderbolt drivers, but no luck there.

Through a combination of the startup diagnostics, reinstalling drivers, reinstalling firmware, I got the "Controller Driver Version" to change from "Unknown" to "16.3.61.2". So I'm making progress!

• Options
    Okay, I had to shutdown both the laptop and the eGPU. Multiple times. No idea why.

I completely unplugged my laptop from all TB3 cables, including the charger. I rebooted twice. The eGPU doesn't have a power switch, so I had to unplug its power cable to hard reboot it. I left that unplugged for ~30 minutes.

After rebooting everything, reinstalling everything, rebooting everything again, rebooting both devices again, then plugging power back into the eGPU, then plugging the eGPU into the laptop, I was able to get it running again.

Of course, then the USB issues came back, so I had to convince the NewEgg rep to give me a return. I think I'm gonna try the Razer Core X Chroma instead. :?

Thanks, @Gilgaron @wunderbar , for your input! I appreciate it!