As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Oilers 3rd jersey = bad. Very, very bad. Very bad.

Sabres 50th anniversary jersey: good, very good.

Sabres returning to royal blue in the 20/21 season = GET THAT SHIT IN MY VEINS RIGHT NOW.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i like the built-in utility belt

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Yeah the utility belt aspect is kinda... eh? It's not the same as the elbow lines which are fine.

50433.png?1708759015
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    It’s....ok.....I guess.

I’ve always liked their black third jersey the best. I know, I know. Black jerseys are boring, but I always thought the Jerks’ was pretty sharp.

Jayricho on
    It's not the first time the canes have done that style for the waist striping. Their old 3rd jerseys had something similar.

http://nhluniforms.com/Hurricanes/Hurricanes.html

also nhluniforms is the best website. I spend way too much time there.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    The Athletic has an interesting article by Ian Tulloch in which he tries to look at ways to quantify "toughness" in a hockey player, in ways that actually impact the game. Obviously a lot of it is going to be intangible and hard if not impossible to measure, but one interesting point that was made was with regards to Hits. Individual Hits For (how much a player is giving hits) is not a great measure of effective toughness because if you're skating all over the ice laying a ton of hits it's an indicator that your team isn't in possession of the puck very much while you're on the ice.

on the flip side, Individual Hits Against tells a different story. If you're getting hit, not only do you have the puck (or just had it), you're hanging on to it in the face of an oncoming hit instead of dumping it/tossing it away. As Tulloch puts it:
    The reason I’m such a fan of the latter is that it fits my definition of what a “tough” hockey player needs to do – take a hit to make the right play. It’s easy to level an opposing defenseman on the forecheck after they get rid of the puck, but it’s brutal taking a hard hit in the corner to help your team maintain puck possession.

Evolving Wild ( https://evolving-hockey.com/ ) actually has/tracks that stat, and if you filter for Forwards with at least 200 minutes played, there's some interesting names, but nothing that really surprises me

ezUR0x0.png

Now just getting hit on its own isn't necessarily a huge selling point, but the players that are up there in hits received while still putting up decent goals and points/60, that's where the magic happens.

As a Leafs fan I'm pleased to see Trevor Moore both in the top 10, and the first player in the list over 2 points/60, especially since the Leafs have him under contract for $775k for the next two seasons. When you look at it this way, it makes complete sense why Babcock immediately fell in love with him. Of course, right below that you have Nic Dowd, absorbing almost as many hits and putting up even more points/60, and the Caps have him for another 3 years at $750k, which seems like a pretty sweet deal.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Back in June:

Today:

Darren Ferris is predictable almost to the point of comedy, and Darren Dreger is utterly shameless in shilling for Ferris.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Saw "Seattle Dragons" trending and got concerned because that would be a stupid name for a hockey team. But it's just the XFL team.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited August 2019
    Yeah most of the XFL names are pretty...well....dumb.

Jayricho on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Kuzy, you idiot.

Reportedly cocaine, BTW, per WTOP (Washington-area news radio).

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    4 years seems like a lot?

Isn’t Kuzy the one that actually posted a photo with cocaine to instagram?

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Pretty nice looking NWHL championship rings in Minnesota

Edit: just saw the hashtag. Less sure about them now.

Burtletoy on
    Minnesota....championship...does not compute...

edited August 2019
    This is amazing. I seriously can't stop watching this.

Also, I guess we're about a month away from preseason!

Burtletoy on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Hot take from hockey Twitter: "Pierre left to become HC of the Seattle team"

(not real)

god, between that and Nick Kypreos/Doug MacLean not getting renewed at Sportsnet, it's like an extinction event for hockey dinosaurs

shame the Cherry rumours were false though

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    From what I understand, Pierre will still be on the NBC broadcasts, just not on the ice or doing interviews.

NWHL just announced a three year free streaming partnership with twitch

50% of the revenue going to the players, too!

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    NWHL just announced a three year free streaming partnership with twitch

50% of the revenue going to the players, too!

Fuck yeah! I'll watch the shit out of that!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    that's awesome!

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Which defenceman do we throw to the wolves now? Ceci I guess?

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    finnith wrote: »
    Which defenceman do we throw to the wolves now? Ceci I guess?

I imagine when Rielly doesn't have another career year I imagine the media will be all "is he washed up!?"

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Well technically Cici is making more than Gardiner next year so that makes sense.

Aridhol wrote: »

Also the San Jose sharks have added Kendall Coyne Schofield as an on TV analysis for the upcoming season

unless Harpur ends up playing, god forbid

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »

Well if I had the money I would buy the coyotes take them away from Glendale. Move the team to Minnesota and pay to build the new stadium
    That solves so many issues with that team

Brainleech wrote: »
    Jayricho wrote: »

Well if I had the money I would buy the coyotes take them away from Glendale. Move the team to Minnesota and pay to build the new stadium
    That solves so many issues with that team

Minnesota already has the Wild, do they really need two mediocre teams?

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Man, now I've got to try and pick a NWHL team.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    I feel like it's been months since I posted a kaapo kakko gif in this thread. He's wearing an NHL sweater, now!

When the hell is Brayden Point going to sign! I think we've done some decent trades and am looking forward to some beefier offense this year but the lack of him signing is really annoying. Our opening preseason is the 17th.

50433.png?1708759015
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    When the hell is Brayden Point going to sign! I think we've done some decent trades and am looking forward to some beefier offense this year but the lack of him signing is really annoying. Our opening preseason is the 17th.

he’s far from the only big-name RFA still without a contract

Fearghaill wrote: »

I know, but as a Tampa fan it's bugging me. Also every post by the Lightning is replied with "You choked in the playoffs" or "Sign Point". Getting tired of both and just ready to start a new season.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I know, but as a Tampa fan it's bugging me. Also every post by the Lightning is replied with "You choked in the playoffs" or "Sign Point". Getting tired of both and just ready to start a new season.

Get used to it now because the choke is all people are going to mention for years to come.

This discussion has been closed.