As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animal Crossing: Have You Shaken Your Trees Lately?

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    The implication of the Mario/Zelda VR updates have me drooling at the possibility of inhabiting my own house and looking around at my own furniture. Make this happen Nintendo, I would buy ur cardboard.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    https://mashable.com/article/mr-resetti-animal-crossing-new-horizons-laid-off/
    In an interview with Mashable during E3 2019, Animal Crossing: New Horizons' project lead Aya Kyogoku officially announced that Mr. Resetti lost his job at the Reset Surveillance Center due to the upcoming Switch title's new auto-save function.

"I think this will be a positive thing for the player, because in New Horizons you can stop playing in the middle of your game and it'll still save," says Kyogoku. "But unfortunately because there's no necessity to reset the game or reset button on the Switch, Mr. Resetti had a hard time. He was laid off from his position."

But, folks, there's still hope for the most hilarious, beloved, and hated figures in Animal Crossing history.

"We also believe that Mr. Resetti is looking for a new job after his layoff. So please look forward to that," Kyogoku teases, potentially hinting that he'll assume a new role.

For those who didn't get childhood trauma from Mr. Resetti's rants back in 2001, since the original Gamecube title Mr. Resetti's job was to scold you every time you reset your game without saving. Intended to dissuade players from cheating the game's real-time mechanic, his minutes-long, all-caps tirades would violently vacillate between questioning your moral fiber, threatening (and even pretending) to delete your save file, and devolving into desperate cries for help.

It's sad that Nintendo had to resort to layoffs. I hope Resetti lands on his feet. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    You show up in town with LITERALLY just the shirt on your back and maybe some pocket change. You've got nothing. Tom Nook happens to have just built some new houses that nobody has moved into yet, and lets you move in. Or, as in New Leaf, Tom Nook builds a house for you, and asks you to pay him back but never harasses you about it. And when you finally do pay him back, he offers to expand your house, which yet again you can pay back at your leisure.

I think Tom Nook is a pretty cool guy. He has a family to feed, but he's also generous to a fault.

He also has nearly a complete monopoly on all town commerce.

I mean, do you even know if you own your house? Have you ever tried to sell it?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    It's a pretty standard loan agreement that you can't sell a house for 12-18 months after buying it for first time home owners.

Most of us just haven't completed a year in game.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    TDawg wrote: »
    You show up in town with LITERALLY just the shirt on your back and maybe some pocket change. You've got nothing. Tom Nook happens to have just built some new houses that nobody has moved into yet, and lets you move in. Or, as in New Leaf, Tom Nook builds a house for you, and asks you to pay him back but never harasses you about it. And when you finally do pay him back, he offers to expand your house, which yet again you can pay back at your leisure.

I think Tom Nook is a pretty cool guy. He has a family to feed, but he's also generous to a fault.

He also has nearly a complete monopoly on all town commerce.

I mean, do you even know if you own your house? Have you ever tried to sell it?

In New Leaf, you can sell the whole town and then move on to the next town.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    webber wrote: »
    It's a pretty standard loan agreement that you can't sell a house for 12-18 months after buying it for first time home owners.

Most of us just haven't completed a year in game.

I've completed at least a year in every edition... including Pocket Camp.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Not unexpected.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I kind of assumed it. It's stupid... Maybe flag someone if they've used it recently or something like that so a person can choose to open their gates to potential cheaters.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Not unexpected.

Sad, but true. That, and this is precisely the kind of game I want security in. I don't want to lose another village.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Back in March my Jn3ds crashed hard. I still don't know what happened as I had to reset and download all the system updates for it to work again
    But the weird thing was it reset the time on my Japanese New leaf copy to next year I cannot change the time back I have tired. My tools were gone but I had still all the bells and most of the residents. it was overran with weeds and the small bamboo patch overtook one corner of the map. Just I feel I should have sent it the machine with what happened

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Ok so I recently got back into New Leaf, on a new town. First time I played I didn't look up anything, just played how I did like back in the GameCube days. This time I decided to really dig in and look things up.

20 hours later and my town is really coming together. I'm planting flowers and trees like nobodies business, and only just now discovered the world of QR codes to lay down paths/fake water... This is a whole different game than how I played back when New Leaf came out. I got back in to it because I wanted to prolong my desire to play the new one (and buy a switch) but if anything this is just making me want to play the new one more.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

Presumably, this will end with Tom Nook being revealed as the first character in Fighters Pass 2 for Smash Ultimate.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Well that was a hell of a thing. I absolutely cannot wait for the Museum; that looked incredible.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    The most important thing is invisible storage space to store items and furniture, and decorating your home god-sim style rather than having to manually push and pull everything.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    As a person that lives in the southern hemisphere, I'm already in love with this game

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Terraforming and the ability to move houses is a great new feature too.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

I'm a broken record, but having terraforming while also only a single island per Switch is just hrrrngh what. Don't need other family members fighting with me over how to terraform.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So id like some brutally honest truth from you guys.

I've never played animal crossing but I like the type of game (stardew valley, etc). However one thing that bothers me about picking up animal crossing is that i find the character art to be rather unappealing to myself in some ways. I generally prefer a more cartoony or unique style then the rather generic 3d Mii character models used.

Basically I'm wondering if at this point most of the hype about AC is nostagia based since it was you guys first game of this type. I'm sure the gameplay is good, but given the other already existing options for games like this, does it really have something to make it stand out on its own to a new player? What makes it different?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I'm a broken record, but having terraforming while also only a single island per Switch is just hrrrngh what. Don't need other family members fighting with me over how to terraform.

It's entirely possible that terraforming is restricted to "adult" accounts or possibly even only the primary account. Doing otherwise would be chaos.

(He said, knowing that his wife has her own Switch and our daughter is only 20 months old.)

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    brb freezing myself for a month until this comes out.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    I can't wait for this. We get to finally have digital bonfires to invite friends to. :P

Seriously though, the amount of options to customize your perfect island is amazing and awesome.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »

I've never played animal crossing but I like the type of game (stardew valley, etc). However one thing that bothers me about picking up animal crossing is that i find the character art to be rather unappealing to myself in some ways. I generally prefer a more cartoony or unique style then the rather generic 3d Mii character models used.

Basically I'm wondering if at this point most of the hype about AC is nostagia based since it was you guys first game of this type. I'm sure the gameplay is good, but given the other already existing options for games like this, does it really have something to make it stand out on its own to a new player? What makes it different?

The entire aesthetic of the game is cutesy and charming. It's supposed to help give that idyllic feeling. I'd say the art style is better and more defined than "Miis" because it's been around twice as long a Miis. It's not an art style I loved at first but as time went on it really grew on me. By the time New Leaf hit I was fully on board with the art style.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

They aren't really Mii style. If anything, the Mii style was aping Animal Crossing style, as AC came waaay before Miis did.

My first AC game was New Leaf. I also don't find the art style to be my favorite in screenshots. It becomes far more charming when you're actually playing... It's magic. It's one of the most relaxing, immersive games I've ever played. I don't even notice the "art" really, when playing.

It's very, very hard (for me) to quantify the appeal. On paper, it seems... Boring. In practice it's chill and charming. No real pressure to accomplish anything. Things happen in "real-ish time," but you can never truly miss anything. It is a lot like Stardew Valley in that way. Unlike Stardew there's no romance or relationships to manage really. Also no combat.

There's really nothing truly like it. Most other things similar are much more "objective" or victory based. It's just... a vacation in a video game.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I can't wait for this. We get to finally have digital bonfires to invite friends to. :P

Seriously though, the amount of options to customize your perfect island is amazing and awesome.

We NEED to have an 8 player session one Saturday afternoon. And I mean that, it HAS to happen, unlike all the times we said we were going to play Burnout together and never did...

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Call me crazy, but I think we might deserve a new thread for the new game? One without a banned poster for the op and all.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Call me crazy, but I think we might deserve a new thread for the new game? One without a banned poster for the op and all.

Congratulations on your new job! (I do agree though, but uh, bags not it on making it)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I mean Nintendo have nailed it haven’t they? How am I meant to find time to play Doom Eternal.

• Options
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »

We NEED to have an 8 player session one Saturday afternoon. And I mean that, it HAS to happen, unlike all the times we said we were going to play Burnout together and never did...

Yes we do. Very much looking forward to this. I'm just imagining what we can do to our Island to customize it.

Allowing decorations to be placed outside is absolutely huge for me. It will be so neat checking out everyone's Islands now.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

Congratulations on your new job! (I do agree though, but uh, bags not it on making it)

If nobody has by the weekend I might get around to it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So I wasn't all that hyped for this game before today. Now I am hyped and want to play T_T Honestly this Direct was just what I needed to get me back in the mood for the series.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular

Yes we do. Very much looking forward to this. I'm just imagining what we can do to our Island to customize it.

Allowing decorations to be placed outside is absolutely huge for me. It will be so neat checking out everyone's Islands now.

The big question though is, who's gonna be the host?

Remember, only one island per Switch. Whoever the host is is gonna end up stuck with whatever shenanigans we get up to on their main (and only) island.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options

Remember, only one island per Switch. Whoever the host is is gonna end up stuck with whatever shenanigans we get up to on their main (and only) island.

The limit on tool use will put a damper on most shenanigans, I'd expect.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

The limit on tool use will put a damper on most shenanigans, I'd expect.

But... but... we're all BEST FRIENDS here, right?

*picks up shovel and axe* RIIIIIIIIIGHT?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Really excited about some of the quality of life features (like being able to move all the buildings around). The museum interior looks genuinely beautiful.

On the other hand, I am really annoyed by tools taking up space in the inventory, and indeed having such a small inventory at all. In New Leaf, this became a source of constant frustration for me; Pocket Camp has really spoiled me with a giant inventory and tools that exist outside of it.

I hope there's a way to permanently ensnare animals and bind their souls to your island, unto death and beyond. In New Leaf, when I missed the window to convince my best buddy Rod from moving out of my town, I basically said "Fuck this garbage game to hell" and stopped playing; I don't think any game has broken my heart like that before or since.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I love Animal Crossing so I'm definitely looking forward to New Horizons. However, Nintendo is playing it super safe with this game. Nothing I watched in that direct was particularly surprising or revolutionary. It's kind of what I expected, just with a little more customization and a heaping help of Nintendo limitations. Seriously Nintendo, you can only get your save data back one time?!

Oh Nintendo, it's a good thing you're pretty.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Im hoping we still get QR codes for custom patterns and paths, not just the ones they give us

• Options
    I love Animal Crossing so I'm definitely looking forward to New Horizons. However, Nintendo is playing it super safe with this game. Nothing I watched in that direct was particularly surprising or revolutionary. It's kind of what I expected, just with a little more customization and a heaping help of Nintendo limitations. Seriously Nintendo, you can only get your save data back one time?!

Oh Nintendo, it's a good thing you're pretty.

The save limitations are the only main gripe I have, but since I will always take the bad with the good when it comes to Nintendo, I'll survive by griping a little. :P

As for major shake-ups, I'm good with the updates they are making. Being able to decorate the outside as well as the inside is absolutely huge for me and will make visiting new Islands that much more fun to me. Before, the towns didn't have a whole lot you can do to differentiate yours from others besides tree and flower locations and other minor things. The houses were where you would see some really neat stuff. In this game, checking out a person's island will now be as fun as checking out their house.

Also, I'm a sucker for neat crafting systems and will now need to collect every diy recipe ever.

I do get what you are saying though. I didn't get into Animal Crossing until New Leaf, so I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to the series.

I am finding it humorous that parts of Resetera are having a meltdown because Nintendo ruined the game by giving too many options this time and changing too much. Such a strange complaint.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Something else that is huge for me now that I'm thinking about it: deciding where villager's houses go! Thank the lord. I hated when I would have trees and flowers where I wanted and they were all so beautiful, but suddenly a new villager would move in and they would place the house right in the middle of all that hard work I did and my trees and flowers would be gone forever, never to be seen again.

Telling them where to put the house is a god send.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I definitely appreciate some of those additions. Maybe they're still keeping their cards close to their chest. They're not going to spill the beans on everything in one Direct.

This feels like going from Wild World to City Folk rather than the slightly bigger jump to New Leaf. Not that I think Animal Crossing needs a Breath of the Wild style shakeup. I don't think I'd want that. It's Animal Crossing and part of that is the sense of familiarity. This is very familiar.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
This discussion has been closed.