As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The thing about the Liberals is that they're a party rife with petty corruption but this doesn't stop them from getting shit done and the country going smoothly.

By comparison, the Conservatives are openly corrupt, petty, inefficient and too often enamored with republicans south of the border.

Thus Satan's balls will freeze off before I vote for them.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    a little grease on the machinery of the world is fine.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I tried to grease a Mountie with a twenty one time they fucking disagreed strongly

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I tried to grease a Mountie with a twenty one time they fucking disagreed strongly

That's because they need WD40.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Hah! Cause it's like grease! (Do NOT spray federal police officers with WD40)

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

*Takes notes*

Do you think that might come up in a citizenship exam? I feel like it might.

sig.gif
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Frostwood wrote: »
    Sure people might say it's not the federal conservative party that's doing these things, but the fact that Doug Ford dismissed adjourned the Ontario legislature because he was hurting the Conservative polls shows that the federal and provincial conservatives are one and the same.

Remember that the federal Conservatives did attach political officers to federal scientists at conferences, set up snitch hotlines to inform about scary foreigners, and legislate a million of us into no longer being real citizens.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Like, If we go back to the sponsorship scandal that Jean was involved in like 20 years ago, the amount that was involved in adscam was around 35 million which is horrible... but at the same time the government saved 7 billion in the same year this thing dropped; literally 200% of what was lost.

Corruption isn't good nor should we accept it easily and readily but by the same coin we shouldn't ignore competence because of scandal.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Like, If we go back to the sponsorship scandal that Jean was involved in like 20 years ago, the amount that was involved in adscam was around 35 million which is horrible... but at the same time the government saved 7 billion in the same year this thing dropped; literally 200% of what was lost.

Corruption isn't good nor should we accept it easily and readily but by the same coin we shouldn't ignore competence because of scandal.

That's actually 200x or 20 000%.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    That BC survey on daylight savings was pretty definitive with 93% saying they support the change, though I don't like the wiggle room they've got which says it's also important to be aligned with their neighbors.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/daylight-time-bc-survey-1.5277374

steam_sig.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    And the Rhinoceros Party launches its campaign in Québec (French link). My favourite bit is that their candidate in Maxime Bernier's riding is called... Maxime Bernier. Yup, there will be two Maxime Berniers from two different parties on the ballot in Maxime Bernier's riding. Since the average PPC voter is not smart enough to read and understand a ballot, I expect each one will get 50% of the Maxime Bernier vote.

I am both laughing very hard and enjoying the fact the Rhinoceros Party may very well be what saves Canada from having to deal with Maxime Bernier after this election.

sig.gif
    Richy wrote: »
    And the Rhinoceros Party launches its campaign in Québec (French link). My favourite bit is that their candidate in Maxime Bernier's riding is called... Maxime Bernier. Yup, there will be two Maxime Berniers from two different parties on the ballot in Maxime Bernier's riding. Since the average PPC voter is not smart enough to read and understand a ballot, I expect each one will get 50% of the Maxime Bernier vote.

I am both laughing very hard and enjoying the fact the Rhinoceros Party may very well be what saves Canada from having to deal with Maxime Bernier after this election.

That is just incredible. Please please please vote in the wrong Maxime Bernier

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

On the contrary, if all goes well, we will have to deal with Maxime Bernier. This would be glorious.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    In a press conference, the Rhinoceros Party representative said: "Maxime Bernier says such ridiculous things and he gets a lot of media coverage. Now we have our own Maxime Bernier and he can say just about anything!"

sig.gif
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Their slogan in that riding? "Take no chances; vote for both!"

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Bleh, Manitoba Provincial election yesterday.

PC won another majority, and my riding the PC candidate received more than 50% of the vote.

Now to just wait for the current leader to be on the cusp of retirement to privatize the public auto insurance, power company, and telecom

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Not a fan of Pallister, but as far as I can tell, the allegations about privatising MPI and Hydro are entirely made up. There hasn't been any real ideological push within the PCs for it, it's not very popular with the voters, and it if it resulted in higher rates would assuredly cost them reelection. It just doesn't to be worth it.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I'm fairly irked that a politician with a shelf life of 4 to 8 years can make a change that lasts a hundred (407) or longer. Didn't the liberals just get kicked in the plums for that? I love that conservatives still claim privatization actually works, what a crock of shit.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I love that conservatives still claim privatization actually works, what a crock of shit.

It totally does. If you are rich then you get the best and you get it immediately. If you are poor then you die. Win win

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    IT BEGINS.

I'm so looking forward to the inevitable flood of Actual Fake News mixed in with increasingly nasty nativist vitriol over the next forty days....

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    HerrCron wrote: »

*Takes notes*

Do you think that might come up in a citizenship exam? I feel like it might.

If I ever get there, I am just going to scrawl several posts from this thread onto the exam.

The exam's multiple choice, surely it is acceptable if one of my choices is to inform the proctor how to properly grease your mounties.
    Daimar wrote: »
    That BC survey on daylight savings was pretty definitive with 93% saying they support the change, though I don't like the wiggle room they've got which says it's also important to be aligned with their neighbors.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/daylight-time-bc-survey-1.5277374

Note that in order for the western states to opt-in to daylight savings, you need congressional approval. You'd think such a thing would be trivial, surely this is a benign examples of states' rights. Buuuuuut given the current political reality I would honestly expect a vote in the senate to go down on party lines, "because fuck California."

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Wow, the NDP aren't even running a candidate in my riding. Well, I guess I'm voting Green then?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    KetBra wrote: »
    Wow, the NDP aren't even running a candidate in my riding. Well, I guess I'm voting Green then?

I'm sure someone will step up at the very last minute. That way you can vote blindly for a party name.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

I'm sure someone will step up at the very last minute. That way you can vote blindly for a party name.

Well, the reason I'm upset is I'd rather not blindly vote for a party name because my Liberal MP is an asshole

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Going from official opposition with over 100 seats, to having large gaps in your candidate roster just two elections later (one depending on how you're counting) is certainly ... something.

Going from official opposition with over 100 seats, to having large gaps in your candidate roster just two elections later (one depending on how you're counting) is certainly ... something.

The centrist party moving towards your space while the right wing party moves towards insanity and the media stop paying attention to you will do that to a party.

Their spending some time wobbling towards the center and actively propping Harper up on multiple occasions didn't exactly help things.

It's frustrating; they're not just supposed to be better than this, they've demonstrably been much better than this and not too long ago, either. We really need an opposition on the left side of the spectrum to balance out the amount of pressure we get politically from the south.

Speaking of foreign inspiration, Jason Kenney's providing a really good look to the right in general as we start this, isn't he?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The loss of Layton hit them really hard imo. They've looked a lot more like the provincial level NDP I've been used to since then. Which is a bad thing. Unfocused and I think overly concerned with gaining and wielding power rather then staking out a position.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Their spending some time wobbling towards the center and actively propping Harper up on multiple occasions didn't exactly help things.

It's frustrating; they're not just supposed to be better than this, they've demonstrably been much better than this and not too long ago, either. We really need an opposition on the left side of the spectrum to balance out the amount of pressure we get politically from the south.

Speaking of foreign inspiration, Jason Kenney's providing a really good look to the right in general as we start this, isn't he?

Ummmm..... Why is this not all over the news?

Lying to make Putin seem more brutal than he actually is (!!) and then suggesting that Canada could learn something from that is both bizarre and something that people might definitely want to know about.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

Make sure you research your specific Green candidate if you're thinking of voting for them. May has made it clear that the Greens aren't going to be using the whip on most issues, meaning you can't take any position for granted (aside from being environmentalist). For example, while the Greens aren't separatists they are running Pierre Nantel (who is).

• El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Bleh, Manitoba Provincial election yesterday.

PC won another majority, and my riding the PC candidate received more than 50% of the vote.

Now to just wait for the current leader to be on the cusp of retirement to privatize the public auto insurance, power company, and telecom

Yep, my riding was like 5000 votes to the PC candidate and I think 2000 to the NDP in second and maybe 1000 to the Liberal candidate. So many boomers in my neighbourhood so not a big surprise but still disappointing.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    My local (Liberal) MP's office just texted me to ask if I could come by their office and volunteer this weekend. Hmm... Am I too old for this shit?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/andrew-scheer-rachel-willson-abortion-rights_ca_5d7a6802e4b0fc7153436c14

How dare you point out how slimy we are. What is the world coming to.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    This is my surprised face
    A senior Conservative, who was not authorized to speak for attribution, said the snafu is apparently the result of the government not wanting to pay too much for the stickers and seeking a lowball bidder.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Doesn't Ford like, own a label business? Seems like making things stick together should be something they're good at.

:so_raven:
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I was wondering what happened

The station I stopped at only put up the French stickers here that gave me a good lol

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    Corvus wrote: »
    Doesn't Ford like, own a label business? Seems like making things stick together should be something they're good at.

Or, or, they could make them with a bad but cheaper adhesive, for more profit, and then sell another batch for double profits!
    That's getting paid twice for one stupid, petty gesture.

Also there's probably something about conflict of interest in the procurement rules, so they had to outsource the profits.
    The gesture remains, of course, just as stupid and petty.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

My dad had them for a client, before he retired.

They received the special treatment of having their orders held back in the warehouse until the previous one was paid for, as that was eventually found to be the only way to get them to actually pay for them.

No other customers required this.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

My dad had them for a client, before he retired.

They received the special treatment of having their orders held back in the warehouse until the previous one was paid for, as that was eventually found to be the only way to get them to actually pay for them.

No other customers required this.

Such a Trump.

This discussion has been closed.