As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Can't Stop Thinking About [Control]

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh good yes excellent, I'll cross post from G+T
    Oh I forgot to mention that I did finish the story last night and left some side quests to do in the post game
    because I want to run around in this business suit as motherfucking FBC director Jesse Faden and take out the extradimensional garbage

I think the plot ended a little abruptly? But I did appreciate that the final sequence was a running battle against regular enemies and not a big dumb arena boss fight

And I know there's DLC coming so I'm not too bothered by the abruptness, and I like just still being around and digging into the secrets here

Great game! I basically can't stop thinking about it! At all!

I agree with you and I found the DLC hint at the end quite funny

I enjoy the little sparks of humor here and there in the game, and I think it tonally fits - I mean, it's a ludicrously, colossally weird in-game universe, and sometimes the only thing to do is laugh and poke fun at that

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Okay, so I think I'm just going to abandon all the side-objectives for the sake of my sanity, and hope the game is forgiving enough that my lack of weapon upgrades and ability points aren't that big of a deal.
    Getting really tired of failing a side mission boss and having to sit through a long-ass load screen and a long walk back from the control point, only to get 75% through the fight and accidentally dash into a bottomless pit and do it all over again.

Tired of kills not registering for board countermeasures.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Still can't make the last guy spawn in Old Friends, so I tried Tommasi tonight

Hiding from him is easy enough but dealing with those cloaked guys is a real pain

I'm a little frustrated that these are my last two things to do and I'm hitting different types of brick walls on em

Grey Ghost on
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I love that this game exists because I've gotten so many folks into checking out SCP since they've never heard or seen it before.

Also, really wish there was more to find out about what happened at Ordinary.

Protip: Board Missions are ENDLESS, you can keep accepting and canceling them until you get something you can do easily or that's worth your time. Ignore all the hard board missions cause they're just not worth the time or effort put into them.

Also, why is the Pierce mod the best one? Srsly outclasses every other mod, other than the Grip fully upgraded with endgame equipment.

Dee Kae on

Hiding from him is easy enough but dealing with those cloaked guys is a real pain

I'm a little frustrated that these are my last two things to do and I'm hitting different types of brick walls on em

In that last area you fight him, you can fly up to the very top of the rafters across the middle and take your time whittlin' him down. Nothing can reach you other than Charged Hiss floatin' up to you occasionally.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    the standard combat against nor

If it's the same last guy that I was stuck on in the Cooler Room
    He's actually a cloaked enemy, so you kinda just stand around for a while until he tries to attack you

Nah it's Remus in the energy converters
    He should be flying and flinging stuff at me soon as I enter the room

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Is this worth getting then? It looks cool. Good plot etc

Solar wrote: »
    Is this worth getting then? It looks cool. Good plot etc

It's a good game. I think it's one of those "greater than the sum of it's parts" sorta things. There's definitely a lot to criticize, especially when you're focusing on specific aspects of it. But overall, I'm really enjoying it (I'm about 60-70% through it).

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Control, for me, is a rock-solid 8/10. Could be patched to a 9/10 if some quality of life and technical tweaks happen.

But then again, I jive completely with Sam Lake's brand of narrative crazy, so my experience may be different than others.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    This game rules, even if having to manually crouch during combat every time does my head in.

RE: The Furnace
    When I realised that the trash disposal involved finding and chucking barrels away I begrudgingly went "Ok, fine, video game, I'll do The Thing" but when I found the message revealing that Control never built a furnace in the first place I was immediately on board.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Control, for me, is a rock-solid 8/10. Could be patched to a 9/10 if some quality of life and technical tweaks happen.

But then again, I jive completely with Sam Lake's brand of narrative crazy, so my experience may be different than others.

Speak of the devil

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    one aspect of this game that's disappointing me a bit so far (I just got the level 6 card last night)
    It all feels a little too... concrete, to me. like, you have all this weird supernatural stuff, but it all has rules, and for the most part it all has the same rules, and after the first hour or so nothing the game has shown me has really changed my understanding of the game's world.

this is a hard criticism for me to explain right. I feel like, I want to open a door in the oldest house and accidentally fall into the monolith from 2001 or something, you know? Instead, I open a door and find, say, an anchor that vomits clocks everywhere. And don't get me wrong, that's a cool image, but... I don't know, nothing I've seen so far has really felt like it's pushing things in the way I want to see them pushed. All this shit kind of behaves in the same way, and a lot of times is even a part of the same aesthetic.

Like, the last thing I did last night was deal with the refrigerator. The premise of the refrigerator is great, it's just this beat up old fridge that starts hurting you if you look away from it. But then like... the reason for that is that in the astral plane there's a giant worm monster that you shoot with your gun a bunch and then the problem is solved. Something about that feels... less satisfying to me, because this weird fuckin' artifact is looped into other weird shit that I've already seen, instead of just being its own thing. Does that make sense?

The FBC feels like the organization from Cabin in the Woods, when I think what I wanted was something more like the Blue Rose taskforce from Twin Peaks.

part of it might just be that this is a third person action game and it'd be hard to have like, satisfying gunplay in the kind of game I want.

Speed Racer on
    Fixed an issue when Heptonstall would not spawn during certain story missions in the “Old Friends” side-mission (still looking for his buddy Remus)

DAMN IT

Well at least I can upgrade Pierce and make short work of Tommasi

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    – Fixed issue with the Charge weapon forms erroneous blast radius causing (way) too much visual damage to the environments

Wait no this was cool

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I fought Tommasi last night and it wasn't so bad!
    The only thing that gave me trouble were the fuckin invisible dilophosaurus lookin dickheads

They somehow even managed to get to me when I got onto the scaffolding! What the fuck!

TOMMASI

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    I feel bad because while I probably took 10 tries to beat Tommasi, when I finally managed to beat him it was by fully embracing my powers as a telekinetic god. Fly up, two rapid throws of debris to break his shield, throw up my rock shield to tank his telekinetic throws, unload the Grip into him, dodge his occasional charge attack, and then rinse and repeat. We zipped around each other and I only stopped to throw shit at the ads in the fight. It felt great when it all clicked like that.

edited September 2019
    Oh my god we just dealt simultaneous killing blows to each other
    Fuck my life

Edit: got 'im
    GET FUCKED

Grey Ghost on
    one aspect of this game that's disappointing me a bit so far (I just got the level 6 card last night)
    It all feels a little too... concrete, to me. like, you have all this weird supernatural stuff, but it all has rules, and for the most part it all has the same rules, and after the first hour or so nothing the game has shown me has really changed my understanding of the game's world.

this is a hard criticism for me to explain right. I feel like, I want to open a door in the oldest house and accidentally fall into the monolith from 2001 or something, you know? Instead, I open a door and find, say, an anchor that vomits clocks everywhere. And don't get me wrong, that's a cool image, but... I don't know, nothing I've seen so far has really felt like it's pushing things in the way I want to see them pushed. All this shit kind of behaves in the same way, and a lot of times is even a part of the same aesthetic.

Like, the last thing I did last night was deal with the refrigerator. The premise of the refrigerator is great, it's just this beat up old fridge that starts hurting you if you look away from it. But then like... the reason for that is that in the astral plane there's a giant worm monster that you shoot with your gun a bunch and then the problem is solved. Something about that feels... less satisfying to me, because this weird fuckin' artifact is looped into other weird shit that I've already seen, instead of just being its own thing. Does that make sense?

The FBC feels like the organization from Cabin in the Woods, when I think what I wanted was something more like the Blue Rose taskforce from Twin Peaks.

part of it might just be that this is a third person action game and it'd be hard to have like, satisfying gunplay in the kind of game I want.

There are a few moments when I feel like they manage to make things real weird and cool, but yeah.

At times it felt unfortunately tame

there's a door marked Lab 10, it's got some mold around it and a red light over it. you have to float to a balcony in Central Research and smash through some windows to get to it. but I can't find any way in. and googling "control game lab 10" is just too many generic words to get anything meaningful. y'all seen this?

edited September 2019
    there's a door marked Lab 10, it's got some mold around it and a red light over it. you have to float to a balcony in Central Research and smash through some windows to get to it. but I can't find any way in. and googling "control game lab 10" is just too many generic words to get anything meaningful. y'all seen this?

Have you done the mold quest with the Dr downstairs?

Lalabox on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Huh. Secret in the black rock quarry
    I found a fairly well hidden area in the quarry that's like, an elevator shaft leasing down into an area covered in mold. When I got into it it even popped a little "hidden area discovered" thing on the HUD

I had to leave and come back once I had the mold immunity, but now I'm looking around and... There's nothing here, other than two enemies and a single loot crate. Am I missing something or is this just a very lame secret

It just seems so weird to put a bunch of nothing down here considering you have to both find it and beat an optional, easily missable boss to get to it

Huh. Secret in the black rock quarry
    I found a fairly well hidden area in the quarry that's like, an elevator shaft leasing down into an area covered in mold. When I got into it it even popped a little "hidden area discovered" thing on the HUD

I had to leave and come back once I had the mold immunity, but now I'm looking around and... There's nothing here, other than two enemies and a single loot crate. Am I missing something or is this just a very lame secret

It just seems so weird to put a bunch of nothing down here considering you have to both find it and beat an optional, easily missable boss to get to it
    yeah, it seemed pretty lame in the end

I thought there might be something with stuff about Marshall as implied in the endgame, but that seems like it's more to do with potential dlc stuff

i almost wish this game had a whole lot more inventory stuff going on so that there were more things to reward the player with wrt exploring. A crate or two kinda feels disappointing.

i spent a bit of time playing this game thinking "I wish this was a bit more like Prey"

Lalabox wrote: »

Have you done the mold quest with the Dr downstairs?

Yep!

There are a bunch of spots marked as hidden locations that will only net you maybe a loot box and a document

Yah know, the Launch ability might be a bit too overpowered in this game.

The only time I was ever hitting a wall anywhete was that last last bit near the end with a whole slew of enemies. (I found out how to beat them by floating past all of them to the cover behind them.)

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I hope that the first Tommasi fight doesn't cause too many people to quit, as it's a fairly terrible battle on multiple levels.
    For starters, you've just gotten Launch so when you see them flying around and flinging stuff themselves you naturally think "Oh, I should use my newly acquired power" but that way just lies pain as Tommasi is programmed to avoid it most of the time and then they'll take, like, 50+% of your health off in one go? And the only way you're going to heal is by doing damage to summon mooks to shoot. Thankfully they don't take too much gunfire to take down, and I don't mind playing as a glass cannon, but that fight is just poorly thought out in general.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Something else about hidden locations. When you get the notification that you've found one you'll also get a free skill point in addition to whatever boxes/documents you find.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Yeah they're mostly good for pushing you over into being able to buy that skill you've had your eye on

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Expansions
    Moving ahead to 2020, there will be two full, paid expansions that our team is hard at work creating: The Foundation and AWE. Both of these will offer new story missions, enemies, and game mechanics, and take place in new locations within the Oldest House.

The Foundation will delve into the history of the Oldest House. At the request of the ever-mysterious Board, Jesse must explore what lies beneath the Bureau as she returns order to the Foundation and the Oldest House itself. Expect things to get weird.

The second expansion, AWE, will take Jesse into a new part of the Oldest House, the Investigations Sector, where the Bureau closely examines Altered World Events.

Finally, we would like to thank everyone from press to fans and the entire community for your support and feedback. The amazing response to Control means the world for us. Keep it coming!

They're also adding photo mode and something that sounds like horde mode

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    Okay fine I'll play Alan Wake

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    There are a bunch of spots marked as hidden locations that will only net you maybe a loot box and a document
    I found that most of the documents in hidden areas were more a bit more interesting. Also, a couple of the hidden locations that seemed to have nothing actually had environmental stuff like messages on a whiteboard.

I've been playing through Quantum Break again after i picked it up for cheap a few years ago, and it's kind of a funny beast. It's a lot more expensive than Control, in that it's got way more money in its animations and cutscenes and dialogue and everything. And it's got its own interesting rhythm of gunplay, since you've got rifles and assault rifles and whatnot, but everything gets really inaccurate after firing for half a second or so

But the actual play is mostly dashing, which then triggers slow motion for a bit to shoot people. It's kinda funny how similar it is, but also how it's way more about triggering slow motion etc, and also completely lacks the verticality that Control eventually has. But it's still got that "technically there's cover, but it's not really a cover shooter".

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Weird shower thought: Control is basically a catalyst for an insane amount of crossover ideas.

You hear that, fanfiction writers? Get crackin! If I don't read about the Winchesters talking about weird shit they've encountered while Jesse listens and smirks by the end of the week...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite easter eggs is so subtle that it makes me smile every time I get in the elevators

Because they're all Paine brand elevators

And the max weight is listed right beneath the brand

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    it's also funny bc Quantum Break has a very polished sort of combat loop of specifically creating openings by slowing down time after using an ability etc, whereas in Control everything is way more chaotic and scrambly because you don't have those options to make those little safe zones and momentary breaks that Quantum Break had.

Like, the defensive game in quantum break is really easy, because it's often just a button press away, whether you are dodging, running, or throwing up a shield, and all those powers then give you enough time to immediately focus on offence without the risk of getting hit.

Whereas Control doesn't really have as modal of a defensive game, and you are pretty much always at risk of getting sniped, and recovering health is way harder unless there are mooks about.

Control also has way more collateral damage. Like, all the explosive barrels in QB require a lot of intention to actually shoot and set off. You don't really get errant explosions etc, whereas everything in Control explodes without you noticing, and all the stuff you pick up with telekinesis destroys just about everything in its path. When fighting mooks, most of what you are doing is just running about, unloading your weapon as much as possible and just flinging shit all over the place. You're rarely ever not not attacking.

Control is often way more frustrating because of all this stuff (especially in the fucking bosses), but it also feels way cooler when you "master" it. Like, Ashtray Maze was exactly at the point where I had enough powers to feel confident with flying and throwing and just using all my powers just bc it felt great. It's an amazing sequence, but it also has really great design to make you use all the cool stuff you've got.

It's an interesting different philosophy when they have very very similar controls.

It's also funny just how much more Control actually resonates with people.

Is there a reliable way to get a corrupted sample?