As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I mean, I think that's super-cool, but that patent image just looks hilarious to me. "Ever wonder what your video game beasties are up to? Well now you can truly peer into the digimal realm to spy them in their natural habitat!"

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I mean, I think that's super-cool, but that patent image just looks hilarious to me. "Ever wonder what your video game beasties are up to? Well now you can truly peer into the digimal realm to spy them in their natural habitat!"

Have you tried Labo VR? I'm excited about the potential of this. I always feel like I'm going to break the cardboard.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Nope, I already have so much junk sitting around that I'm resisting getting cardboard junk with all my might. Though man, that piano looks sweet!

• Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    That Oninaki Demo
    Whole lot of dead kids. Assisted and ritual suicide? In a demo? [\spoiler]

Does the game's story pay off (even if you haven't finished it, it would be nice to know that the storytelling around the main character improves) and is the fighting… good overall? The fight mechanics seemed fine enough to me but I wasn't sure if I would end up being annoyed with *how much* customization there was and how the experience of managing it all could have been streamlined.

Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    skeldare wrote: »
    For anyone who wants to play Dragon Quests 1, 2 and 3 in English, Play-Asia has preorders up for $40.

https://www.play-asia.com/dragon-quest-123-collection-multi-language/13/70d0en?tagid=1248773

Square's been pretty good about localizing their games lately, I wonder what the odds are of this getting an actual western release.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    For anyone who wants to play Dragon Quests 1, 2 and 3 in English, Play-Asia has preorders up for $40.

https://www.play-asia.com/dragon-quest-123-collection-multi-language/13/70d0en?tagid=1248773

Square's been pretty good about localizing their games lately, I wonder what the odds are of this getting an actual western release.

The issue is that Square leaves it to Nintendo in the west.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

Nintendo. Nintendo.

Why in the actual motherfuck are the controllers still attached in this image, Nintendo?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

Nintendo. Nintendo.

Why in the actual motherfuck are the controllers still attached in this image, Nintendo?

It's a Switch Lite.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I mean, what else are you going to hold on to? Even the 3-D Viewfinders you might have had as a kid needed something to hold on to, and then you press a button to rotate the slide to get the next image.

Except now, you have ... like, 14 different buttons and two joysticks to view the images or play the game.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    That's a split d-pad there...

Nintendo. Nintendo.

There's nothing there to strap that to your head, got to hold the Switch up somehow.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    So is Crystal Chronicles gonna have couch co-op?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Its literally a design choice to limit playtime to how long you can hold the thing up. Nintendo is still super big on telling you when to put the game away.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

yeah, if it does, they have a sale

if it doesn't, no dice

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Nintendo. Nintendo.

There's nothing there to strap that to your head, got to hold the Switch up somehow.

Why not a reverse harness that straps to your groin instead.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The cardboard version out now would be too large for a Lite. I could see them just making a quick and dirty plastic version specifically for it

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

if it doesn't, no dice

It'll have local and online multi, even across consoles.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/9/20856832/final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-remastered-release-date

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Its literally a design choice to limit playtime to how long you can hold the thing up. Nintendo is still super big on telling you when to put the game away.

My phone is doing this now, too! Even when I'm just playing videos for background noise.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Drez wrote: »

Nintendo. Nintendo.

Why not a reverse harness that straps to your groin instead.

Because that would be a obvious infringement on my patent.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The cardboard version out now would be too large for a Lite. I could see them just making a quick and dirty plastic version specifically for it

Heck though I'm pretty sure the Lite isn't compatible with any Labo at all.

So it would be just specifically for the minor modes in Odyssey and BOTW.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

if it doesn't, no dice

Damn dude, out here flaunting all your cash for a house, hookers, clothes and food!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Just coming up for air during the middle of a first time ever playthrough of Zelda:LttP. I think I just got the 3rd crystal.

This game is very very good. Very good. Had I played this when I was younger (we had a Genesis), my mind would've been blown away. It is even now. There's so much to this game, especially for it's time.

SNES additions in general have been real fun, but LttP is on a whole nother level.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I played LTTP for the first time a couple years back. It was quite enjoyable although I found it a bit obtuse in spots compared to more modern Zeldas and had to use a guide a few times.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Switch 9.0 update is out

https://nintendoeverything.com/switch-update-out-now-version-9-0-0/

And this part is probably the best part of it.
    • Added “Online Play Invites” section to the User’s page.
    • Invites from friends to join online play in supported software will be displayed in this section.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I dunno, I still felt like every puzzle in the game had a fairly obvious intended way to solve it. Sometimes they may have intentionally designed two ways to solve it. I don't think there was one puzzle that felt like it was obtuse enough that it relied on a quirk of physics or anything.

I guess what I mean is, the game is still full of "boomerang hits these switches." Or rather, "magnesis can move this specifically designed metal thing."

I mean, to that point yes, there is. And also they've made sure to institute some weather in certain places to "force" you to approach the game in a more focused manner (rain being used as a hindrance, specifically).

But what my point was is that you don't have to do the shrines in any order, which is what simulates the usual dungeon format most accurately. Each is a bite-size dungeon that gives you the equivalent of a piece of heart (or stamina) for completing it, instead of an entire dungeon built around learning to use Magnesis to get through a big dungeon full of monsters, traps, keys, and big keys up until having to use it on the boss of the dungeon, get the heart container, and "do the story thing", whatever that thing is. The shrines thus far are much more like someone took and chopped a dungeon into parts and scattered them around the world to find.

Which, considering there's 120 shrines, and if a normal dungeon in Zelda games is 10ish chambers long with combat rooms, puzzles, etc, you could say the game has 12 dungeons. They're just scattered about the place, since there are many single shrines based around magnesis or stasis, etc.

The other point is that those tools, which number only 4, are added to "bows" and "weapons" and sometimes some element most commonly fire to make up all the tools you'd need to solve a puzzle, whereas in traditional Zelda games things like a thunder rod and korok leaf and such would all be taking up a single rather predetermined inventory slot instead of being totally optional to carry on your person, and thus unless they give you the item they expect you to use (like the shrine with hammers in the chests), they have to assume you don't have it, and base everything around your 4 glyphs and your glider, and with hope some kind of melee and ranged weapons.

And in the shrines where they don't have those, it's just you hoping you have the needed tools?

Basically, it's very experimental, while also being fairly traditional. And I am very much enjoying it. I think it's currently my 4th favorite Zelda game?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Having the bucket in Crystal Chronicles was the best. You had all the power in your group. Your very presence was all that kept the rest of your party from dying.

Your friend next to you just say some shit? Off I go hope you keep up if you want to stay in the protective bubble I control.

Like obviously you don't constantly run away cause that's just annoying and nothing gets done, but it was always good to remind them that I, the bucket bitch, am the actual power in the party.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Switch 9.0 update is out

https://nintendoeverything.com/switch-update-out-now-version-9-0-0/

And this part is probably the best part of it.
    • Added “Online Play Invites” section to the User’s page.
    • Invites from friends to join online play in supported software will be displayed in this section.

But that only really matters if you play anything online? I personally prefer couch co-op to any other form of multiplayer, but maybe I'm just an old fogey.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Maybe we should re-consider the tournament/league concept now that SNES games are here. @MNC Dover

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    And in the shrines where they don't have those, it's just you hoping you have the needed tools?

I’ve done a fair few shrines and these are very few and far between, but when it happens it’s really irritating.

I just did one where I had to play mini golf with a hammer, ball and stasis to progress, and I only had one damaged hammer with me. A chest had one, but the trial and error involved meant I just kept reloading.

I also didn’t have enough for the chest at the end so it was the first shrine chest I ever left unopened.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular

if it doesn't, no dice

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/9/20856832/final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-remastered-release-date

Yeah, but as noted regarding Torchlight II, "local multiplayer" doesn't have to mean "same system, same/split screen"

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

if it doesn't, no dice

Yeah, but as noted regarding Torchlight II, "local multiplayer" doesn't have to mean "same system, same/split screen"

Local multiplayer should always mean single-system couch play. We have "LAN/Network Multiplayer" and "Online Multiplayer" for any other situation. It doesn't, but it should.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    crystal chronicles was literally built for same-screen coop gameplay so it would be pretty weird if that wasn't a thing
    like that's the whole point of the game

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    crystal chronicles was literally built for same-screen coop gameplay so it would be pretty weird if that wasn't a thing

You could technically plug GBA's into the gamecube adapter

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Is Crystal Chronicles one of those 4-player co-op games where you straight up need 4 players? I've played some games that were up to 4 players, but were very poorly balanced for smaller parties.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Is Crystal Chronicles one of those 4-player co-op games where you straight up need 4 players? I've played some games that were up to 4 players, but were very poorly balanced for smaller parties.

I played through the entire game solo and had a blast.

I'm just curious how they're going to manage the dungeon conditions. Part of the asymmetry of it was each player having slightly different information on their GBA and having to decide whether to share it with the team or not since it affected the loot you'd get at the end of each zone.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    That's why every player probably needs their own Switch system.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    agoaj wrote: »

You could technically plug GBA's into the gamecube adapter

Man that's a big image.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    After all these years, those backwards GBAs drive me nuts.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Whats the common opinion on the AA battery powered bluetooth Legend of Zelda Switch controllers? The Princess Zelda one was too nice looking to pass up, but I won't be able to use it for a few days.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Whats the common opinion on the AA battery powered bluetooth Legend of Zelda Switch controllers? The Princess Zelda one was too nice looking to pass up, but I won't be able to use it for a few days.

I.E. PowerA wireless? Its a competent controller. Not as comfortable/premium as a pro controller, no rumble and it feels very light, but it does have an accurate, pivoting d-pad at least, plus programmable grip buttons. Unlike just about every non-licensed wireless controller, it can wake a paired Switch from sleep.

rahkeesh2000 on