As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm down. Send me an invite.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Having a tremendous amount of problems running the game on my PC for Act 4. Not sure if it's just this one specific mission or what, but it is crashing my PC. I switch back and forth between Xbox One and PC so curious if that has something to do with it but it's a bit of a bummer. Lowering settings doesn't seem to matter I just crash on the first mission in Act 4.

Act 3 is locking up my entire PC at the start of it when you get control. It slows to a stop quickly then is chocking on something it seems. Two in a row so far, about to try 3...

And try 3 recovered after chocking. So far....aaaand, it seems to have crashed switching windows to edit this, hahaha. Window is just gone. And then back to locking up PC. Better fix this tomorrow!

Xeddicus on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    i see you undead, ill wait till your done with that match

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Having a tremendous amount of problems running the game on my PC for Act 4. Not sure if it's just this one specific mission or what, but it is crashing my PC. I switch back and forth between Xbox One and PC so curious if that has something to do with it but it's a bit of a bummer. Lowering settings doesn't seem to matter I just crash on the first mission in Act 4.

Act 3 is locking up my entire PC at the start of it when you get control. It slows to a stop quickly then is chocking on something it seems. Two in a row so far, about to try 3...

And try 3 recovered after chocking. So far....aaaand, it seems to have crashed switching windows to edit this, hahaha. Window is just gone. And then back to locking up PC. Better fix this tomorrow!
    This is exactly how it was behaving for me, couldn’t progress at all and even after I force closed the game it would crash windows a minute or two later.
    Curious if I start a new save I’ll experience the same thing or not.

I ended up finishing the game on my Xbox One which was mostly fine but I doubt a lot of people have that option available.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    So in act 2
    Is new hope a retcon? I remember the sites but it was all a big mystery then correct? I don't remember Niles and those experiments
    Nope, all that is straight out of Gears of War 2. We just never got an explicit "the Locust are the result of these experiments.", but New Hope, the Sires and the Niles AI security system were all part of the first half of Chapter 3 in Gears 2.

I should have clarified I meant the experiments on people. I remember the sires and general alien:resurrection theme, but Niles specifically and what he did was the part I don't recall
    The Niles AI at New Hope is present (he even references his conversation with Marcus from Gears 2 during Gear 5). He refers to sires as the "genetic bridge to their future" and there's collectibles indicating the people infected with Rustlung were being held at New Hope (Dom describes it as looking like a POW camp) and mutations were being observed, people working there were afraid of "the children" who were vicious and cruel, and at some point the whole kit'n'kaboodle was shipped off to Mount Kadar. I suppose it's not outright stated that Niles was turning kids into monsters, but the implication was there of Niles doing some super shady shit.

I honestly don't remember any of that. Not sure if I missed collectibles or it just fell out of my head

Meh. Feels like the bare minimum that they should have done.

edited September 2019
    I'm not sure what else they could offer to make up for "play before everyone else". Not making a joke, that's just kind of a unique thing so I don't know what they could deploy en masse that would satisfy people and actually be feasible

Edit: just to clarify, I'm not making excuses for them. It was a clusterfuck. However for me personally I don't know what I'd even want? My $2 back? The reality is I want assurances that they won't fuck it up in gears 6, but how can anyone do that?

WingedWeasel on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    A proper way to file a bug on their support site instead of having to send in a request would be a good start. And the logging they instruct you to do is pretty damn useless, it doesn't even notice there's a problem other than it notices the FPS being crap before it goes to 0.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Early Access isn't so rare these days, it's just becoming new for them to package it as a bonus you get for ordering the expensive version, rather than an open beta they can use to stress-test their servers.

I think EA have done it a lot.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Back in my day, companies paid people to play games to test for bugs and stress the system. /shakes cane

Lilnoobs on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Ha! In my day, bugs were left in and became features. /shakes larger, more impressive cane

I do wonder if Capcom would have patched combos out of SFII if they could have just after it was released.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    I'm seeing the appeal of Escape. Quick 10 to 15minute rounds that give you cards and level up characters. Perfect to drop in during the week, then we can get a group for hordes on a Friday or Saturday.

Sarah Conner is broken as fuck. Her special lets ballistic ammo stagger enemies...

So a warden... Fuck him, even with his mallets up to block his face. Stagger and remove the block. And it lasts long enough that I can use the full stagger animation on 2 Markza mags. That is a very very long time... For a teammate to walk up, risk free, and hug the warden with 2 or 3 frags and kill him.

By the way, shoot the warden in the face to remove his pubg mask. The face is the only place to shoot him and do damage. Frags and incendiaries hurt exceptionally well if you tag him with them.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Escape mode is a lot of fun. It sort of reminds me of how Horde mode started out: not as a multi-hour commitment. Not much variety at the moment, perhaps, but some and what there is, is damn fun.

Also the most fun I've had with Kat since Reach. Possibly including Reach.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I am also warming up to Emille as well. His shield bubble is the perfect thing to let me snipe with impunity with a Markza or long shot.

So I at least have options for horde now instead of just fahz...

I havent had the chance, but I want to get a mulcher or trishot and use it with fahz's wallhacks.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Finished my first 1-50 Horde on Beginner, just to ease into it. Discovered that Shadowplay screen captures doesn't seem to play nice with Gears 5 in UWP :P
    Just as satisfying as previous games!

A few observations:
    1. Emplaceable weapon stashes and energy taps are a massive game-changer in ways I really jive with. It builds on resource management in Horde mode that I find really fun (partly because it speaks to the way I play) - it feels super satisfying to have built that strategy of building up fortifications and having grown an arsenal of power weapons so it pays off during boss levels.
    2. Kat is a ridiculously valuable asset to Horde mode due to the way her engineer perks help save a lot of time and power, but since almost all her (early-game, as far as I can tell) abilities are emplacement-specific, she seems like a really poor pick for Escape mode, whereas you could grab Emile on either mode and get a lot of mileage out of perks. It's like... why bother picking Kat for escape at all
    3. Why is the Mulcher so shitty in a game where the Tri-shot now exists. Like, a Tri-shot does the same thing a Mulcher might do, at a longer, more accurate range. Sure, the Tri-shot ROF slows down over time but given initial damage comes out stronger anyway and exposure time equates to death, is there actually a situation where given the choice between the two the Mulcher would be the better choice???

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Early chapter 3 spoilers
    Get the fuck out of here, JD, no one likes you. Give me old man Marcus.

• BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Early chapter 3 spoilers
    While I was quite happy with the FEEL of the game at the end of Act 1, some of the story beats felt off to me.

It feels like JD is coming across as a risk taking hot head fuck up only because the writing says it should be so.

I mean in all the previous Gears going the extra mile to get that silo hatch open would have been SOP. They even said launching that satellite could end the war. Seems like a worthwhile risk to me. The reveal of JD's order to fire on protesters felt heavy handed, and then of course he goes 'off the rails' in a moment that felt like it would have worked in any other Gears game.

Granted I haven't read any other Gears media outside of the games, so maybe this does all fit together. It just feels off to me.

Edit: I tend to agree with Marcus in that weapons aren't bad, it's the people who use them badly that are bad, but the whole ending of Act 1 seems written to prove Jin's point. Maybe that is my own personal bias though

Any one of those events would have been fine, but all together it seems just a heavy handed way of shitting on JD

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »
    Early chapter 3 spoilers
    While I was quite happy with the FEEL of the game at the end of Act 1, some of the story beats felt off to me.

It feels like JD is coming across as a risk taking hot head fuck up only because the writing says it should be so.

I mean in all the previous Gears going the extra mile to get that silo hatch open would have been SOP. They even said launching that satellite could end the war. Seems like a worthwhile risk to me. The reveal of JD's order to fire on protesters felt heavy handed, and then of course he goes 'off the rails' in a moment that felt like it would have worked in any other Gears game.

Granted I haven't read any other Gears media outside of the games, so maybe this does all fit together. It just feels off to me.

End of Act 1 start of act 2 spoilers.

I kind of liked how they tarnished JD for the player just as you swap off him as a character. Like in Gears 4 he was your single player character and was basically younger marcus. You start off gears 5 with him being the same way, but then Del mentions something about settlement 2 and gets into it with Fahz, and Del talks about slaughtering protesters, and then you have the reveal that JD ordered protesters shot, and then he calls down the hammer of dawn and it works until it doesn't and costs that truck driver her life. And then you're playing Kait. Just way to bury that knife into the player in a way that I felt was well written, breaks you from JD and now you have new problems to deal with.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I find the non-standard characters in Horde and Escape pointless and only really there for people who aren't going to play the game long term. Del has everything Kat does and more (same with Emile and O'Connor) and a good Del/Jack setup will have you collecting energy and erecting/maintaining defenses like a champion.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    I actually really like being Jack in Horde. I'm helping!

Non standard characters are there for people to have fun. I mean I know when I'm running escape and sarah fucking connor is there calling me a pussy its gratifying.

Plus it keeps you fuckers away from my sweet sweet boy Mac.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm Kat in Escape Mode because it's fun having an armored space suit unlike everyone else (except Emile).

• MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    I find the non-standard characters in Horde and Escape pointless and only really there for people who aren't going to play the game long term. Del has everything Kat does and more (same with Emile and O'Connor) and a good Del/Jack setup will have you collecting energy and erecting/maintaining defenses like a champion.

Honestly the only one that doesn't really have a niche of some sort is just Kat in Escape. The others are perfectly serviceable for both modes.

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Ah, the X character is redundant/worthless conversation has already begun. Remember, The Coalition chose this route to pin characters to classes when there was a working system that allowed you to chose any character with any class previously. I suspect this weird change has something to do with their beloved escape mode.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Batista is probably going to be a lot like Marcus if he's in horde. They might make him Escape just to have more characters there.

Preacher wrote: »
    Bonepart wrote: »
    Early chapter 3 spoilers

End of Act 1 start of act 2 spoilers.

I kind of liked how they tarnished JD for the player just as you swap off him as a character. Like in Gears 4 he was your single player character and was basically younger marcus. You start off gears 5 with him being the same way, but then Del mentions something about settlement 2 and gets into it with Fahz, and Del talks about slaughtering protesters, and then you have the reveal that JD ordered protesters shot, and then he calls down the hammer of dawn and it works until it doesn't and costs that truck driver her life. And then you're playing Kait. Just way to bury that knife into the player in a way that I felt was well written, breaks you from JD and now you have new problems to deal with.

So a few thoughts
    Honestly I thought the solo hatch thing was intended to endear JD to the player. At no point did it seem incorrect to take his course of action. Out of universe it seems a very video game-y move and in universe it is a do or die moment. Maybe there would be an alternative, or maybe they blow their only shot. Point being he was all in in getting the job done.

Next for the hammer of dawn problem. This one is tough. Out if game you just got done slapping a swarmak around so naturally the reaction is bring in the next half dozen and we can stuff them full of frag grenades too.

In universe I think those swarmaks and other swarm are supposed to be insurmountable and they are all about to die unless they leave the evacuees for dead. So yes it ultimately doesn't work out well but those people were fucked regardless.

I mean we all saw it coming, only 1 Carmine has made it through a gears game. Although I guess technically we don't know if Lizzie was a Carmine.

As for the protestors I think JD's reaction is remoseful which gives me the impression of him trying to make up for his colossal fuck up by increasingly theatrical and dangerous acts bordering on suicidal.

Or I could be making all this shit up as I haven't finished the game and it may all change

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Hey I got MVP in my first match with 15 kills. I'm saving co-op for tonight with my buddy. It's crazy, I haven't played a Gears game online since 3 and yet I slid right back in.

This is surprising. I'm also a little concerned about splitting the playerbase but hopefully there's enough people that it's fine

Its a tough road to navigate beyond splitting the playerbase and providing more modes for people to enjoy, but I'd rather have more modes than less.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Ok going into ranked mode was a good way to be humbled swiftly. Coming off a game like Destiny my spacial awareness is really bad since that game has a radar which I crutch on hard. I feel like I gotta crank the volume up like it's PUBG so I can hear bad guys flanking me.

Easiest way to get MVP is to play Horde as the only engineer.

I just got an "kill 80 drone" objective because my sentries were murdering everything. Also was in a horde match that lasted to wave 47. At one point in the 30's it was just me (an engineer) and someone playing Jack. We were doing great until some Wardens fucked up our shit. After Jack left I actually managed to beat 45 when it was Stumps, but unfortunately the damage was done and I wasn't bringing in enough energy to keep what sentries I had left alive, so I bailed on wave 47.

ill be on in a few for gears... probably more escape since I dont have time to sink into a horde game on the weekday

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    edited September 2019

I'm assuming Baustista is the first character, so Cole, Baird and either Paduk or Clay Carmine are my guesses for the next three.

EDIT:

Getting to the highest rank in the tour in 3 months seems feasible. I'm already a Sergeant.

Undead Scottsman on
    Honestly they could make Carmine all of the brothers, which each design being a different skin

Spoilers for endgame
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6dfh4p-pEM

God, for as bro-fist as these game are, that is a powerful moment. The way Marcus backs away from Kait as she tries to give him JD's cogtags; and then his quiet "Goddammit, James" after that basically being his new catchphrase for this new series. ..

It's just such a major moment for the character, and it's insane how this is optional and the next game might have an entire version where this doesn't happen. I really can't wait to see how the Coalition tries to pull that off.

Spoilers for endgame

God, for as bro-fist as these game are, that is a powerful moment. The way Marcus backs away from Kait as she tries to give him JD's cogtags; and then his quiet "Goddammit, James" after that basically being his new catchphrase for this new series. ..

It's just such a major moment for the character, and it's insane how this is optional and the next game might have an entire version where this doesn't happen. I really can't wait to see how the Coalition tries to pull that off.

End game spoilers.

I swear the game designers pretty much want you to kill JD, like Del is your bro all game, he's not compromised like JD and he's fucking Del come on!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Spoilers for endgame

I wonder that the percentage is of folks who went this way because Del is your really great bud the whole game and absolutely deserves to live more.

Honestly gears 5 end game spoiler...

I really wonder what will happen when chuds on the internet get a hold of the game that switched the male main character for a female one, has you make a choice between the person of color character and the former white male main character.

And I hate that, that is something I wonder about.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Gears 5 ending:
    I initially saved Del, but I had to log off immediately after due to prior obligations.

Loading it back up, I was able to choose again, and went with JD instead. Del "deserves" it more, but I couldn't bear the thought of facing sad Marcus. Sorry Del.