As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Programming] Page overflow to new thread

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Goddamn Heisenbugs.

I think I isolated a bug to a third-party package that has an error-handling function that can in theory receive a nil error, causing a panic. I added some debug logging to verify this, and now the damn thing just refuses to happen.

Deploy the debug code to production. EZ life.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    LD50 wrote: »
    Goddamn Heisenbugs.

I think I isolated a bug to a third-party package that has an error-handling function that can in theory receive a nil error, causing a panic. I added some debug logging to verify this, and now the damn thing just refuses to happen.

Oh, this is in prod, that's where the bug happens happened. :rotate:

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a good tutorial on C++? I just need a primer. I used it once upon a time and I'll have to start looking at it again here in the next week or so. To say I'm rusty is an understatement.

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    urahonky wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good tutorial on C++? I just need a primer. I used it once upon a time and I'll have to start looking at it again here in the next week or so. To say I'm rusty is an understatement.

I have heard good things about Kate Gregory's Pluralsight courses, and she has a beginner course https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/cpp-fundamentals .

Jason Turner has a collection of Youtube videos on Introduction to C++. It focuses more on modern C++ and tooling but it would be a good option:

Ethea on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Goddamn Heisenbugs.

Was the debug code built in debug mode?

Goddamn Heisenbugs.

So what you're saying is that you've already fixed the bug.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Odd question time!

Does anyone know of any software that allows you to paste out the contents of your clipboard key stroke by key stroke? I have a brown bag presentation coming up sometime soon and want to have some fun with it.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Odd question time!

Does anyone know of any software that allows you to paste out the contents of your clipboard key stroke by key stroke? I have a brown bag presentation coming up sometime soon and want to have some fun with it.

I've used the CodePresenter plugin for Sublime Text to pretend to be working give a presentation on code

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Assuming you're talking about terminal,

https://doitlive.readthedocs.io/en/stable/

or

https://asciinema.org/

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    AkimboEG wrote: »

I can't not read that second address as "ascii enema".

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Don't kink shame

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    AkimboEG wrote: »

I can't not read that second address as "ascii enema".

How else are you going to clean your : ?

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Odd question time!

I've used the CodePresenter plugin for Sublime Text to pretend to be working give a presentation on code

Oh man, that's exactly what I'm after. Sadly I don't use sublime so I'll have to hunt and see if there's a VS analogue of some sort.

The plan is to start off straight and then slowly up the ante on ridiculous typing until I'm mashing my face on the keyboard.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Odd question time!

Oh man, that's exactly what I'm after. Sadly I don't use sublime so I'll have to hunt and see if there's a VS analogue of some sort.

The plan is to start off straight and then slowly up the ante on ridiculous typing until I'm mashing my face on the keyboard.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hDOfuOx

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Today my old friend XML returned to grace my life.

Remember, kids. XSLT and XML is case-sensitive!

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    There was a time when I was really, really into XHTML. To the point I thought anyone not using it was doing it wrong.

I'm not sure what was wrong with me. I guess I never liked the barely contained chaos of regular old pre-5 HTML. But still, much like my musical tastes from that era, it is not something I'm proud of today.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    There was a time when I was really, really into XHTML. To the point I thought anyone not using it was doing it wrong.

I'm not sure what was wrong with me. I guess I never liked the barely contained chaos of regular old pre-5 HTML. But still, much like my musical tastes from that era, it is not something I'm proud of today.

I think we all have those moments.

Ya know... I don't really like shots. But if I had to choose between TFS and a needle in the eye, the needle starts looking pretty good.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Ya know... I don't really like shots. But if I had to choose between TFS and a needle in the eye, the needle starts looking pretty good.

What are you talking about? TFS works great; just combine with VMs! Any time you need to make a new fork - a "branch" if you will - just spin up a new Kubernetes container!

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    Create a shared email inbox in exchange and have everyone just zip up the source tree and email it to the box.

Create a shared email inbox in exchange and have everyone just zip up the source tree and email it to the box.

You joke, but one company I worked for in 2010 used Dropbox for their source control.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »

You joke, but one company I worked for in 2010 used Dropbox for their source control.

At least it's a centralized sort of control.

I did work in one where they just emailed the changed files (Java application).

A friend of mine worked in one where they lost the original source of a Java application, so every new release they unzipped the JAR (or WAR or something), added the new compiled files (the ones they did have a source for) without touching the old ones.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Because XHTML was good and the alternatives were just awful.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

Wasn't the alternative to settle for the mediocrity of regular HTML until 5 came out?

Also that it sort of became a silly hill to die on because the markup of a modern web application is a relatively small part consisting mostly in import declarations and named div's to violate with javascript at runtime.

I am, however, heartened by the idea that I wasn't the only one who felt that way at the time.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    One day when it is closer to done I'll link a detailed write up. All you get now is some occasional screenshots.

I'm going to try to write a simple game, in my personal time. I haven't attempted something like this since school (one of my required projects in school was to write a Tetris clone). You have to start somewhere, so input seems reasonable...

game-start.jpg

• schussschuss Registered User regular

Wasn't the alternative to settle for the mediocrity of regular HTML until 5 came out?

Also that it sort of became a silly hill to die on because the markup of a modern web application is a relatively small part consisting mostly in import declarations and named div's to violate with javascript at runtime.

I am, however, heartened by the idea that I wasn't the only one who felt that way at the time.

"Silly hill to die on" basically describes most debates in technology.

One day when it is closer to done I'll link a detailed write up. All you get now is some occasional screenshots.

I'm going to try to write a simple game, in my personal time. I haven't attempted something like this since school (one of my required projects in school was to write a Tetris clone). You have to start somewhere, so input seems reasonable...

game-start.jpg

What are you building it in?

I'm using ebiten. I'm not so far along I'd be endorsing it yet, but I don't have any problems so far that I can confidently blame on it.

https://github.com/hajimehoshi/ebiten

I've made a lot of progress; I got really into it. But I'm starting from almost nowhere. Here's from the last working build, though I'm rebuilding almost everything about how the "sprites" are generated at the moment now that I understand what is going on a bit more.

game-start-3.jpg

• Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    I'm using ebiten. I'm not so far along I'd be endorsing it yet, but I don't have any problems so far that I can confidently blame on it.

https://github.com/hajimehoshi/ebiten

I've made a lot of progress; I got really into it. But I'm starting from almost nowhere. Here's from the last working build, though I'm rebuilding almost everything about how the "sprites" are generated at the moment now that I understand what is going on a bit more.

game-start-3.jpg

Sweet. that is completely randomly something I've been meaning to look into. If I can get myself away from "useful" side projects, I really want to do a simple game. Last time I did a game was early XNA days. I've been torn between finding a good Go game engine to continue to build my Go skills, Rust because I'm a masochist and love learning a new language + new framework + new concepts all at once, C# to build my skills there, or jumping on the Unity bandwagon.

Any recommendations for a decent golang command line lib/framework to replace Cobra? I really just need an easy way to handle subcommands and flags. I'm currently looking at https://github.com/mitchellh/cli. The documentation an examples of actually doing things is pretty sparse, though. I feel like I'm going to spend way more time than I want to figuring out how to use it rather than writing the actual interesting parts of my program.

I'm currently using Cobra because it seemed like the obvious choice based on the tools which use it. It took all of 30 minutes before I dropped Viper (part of Cobra's stuff) for Koanf because of Viper forcing file type priority on me and automatically lower casing everything. I'm still not happy, though. Now my big issue is that Cobra forces a default value - this makes it a bit clunkier than it needs to be when it matters if it's the default value because the user did not specify or the user specified the same value and, worse, causes the generated help output to be wrong/unclear when "not specified" means "keeps the same value which already exists" since Cobra's generated output says it'll set it to the default.

Additionally, the combo gets kind of ugly (but may be no good way around it) and may be forcing a bit too much global state on me, but that may just be my initial simple implementation based on basic examples. Cobra is also bringing a lot of stuff which I don't actually use, like Viper.

I'm always schlepping it with the built in "flag" package. It's... not great, but it does the job.

I have considered the standard lib flag route (or pflag) by itself for normal posix flags. The main thing I really want is relatively simple, clean, not tedious to setup and maintain subcommands. "myapp foo bar baz --aflag". I looked into that a bit and it looked tedious with just the standard library.

Alright you guys this may sound a little weird but I'm wondering if anyone here can suggest a pair of gloves you can wear while typing that keep your fingers from getting cold. We just moved to a new office and the air vent is right above my head and it's CONSTANTLY blasting air onto my hands making it hard to type.

I never found a pair myself, however an old coworker had a pair of mittens (I think) that folded back into 3/4-length finger gloves.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Any old pair of fingerless gloves will do. I used a pair back in my university days over winter when we'd rather spend the electricity money on keeping our computers going than using the electric heaters

Two pairs of socks, PJ bottoms, jeans, long-sleeved t-shirt, two hoodies and fingerless gloves kept me City of Heroes-ing in temperatures below 0C

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    Any old pair of fingerless gloves will do. I used a pair back in my university days over winter when we'd rather spend the electricity money on keeping our computers going than using the electric heaters

Two pairs of socks, PJ bottoms, jeans, long-sleeved t-shirt, two hoodies and fingerless gloves kept me City of Heroes-ing in temperatures below 0C

I'll give it a shot, thanks. So tired of typing a few words and then having to warm up each hand.

I'll give it a shot, thanks. So tired of typing a few words and then having to warm up each hand.

A coworker of mine has a tiny desk heater she uses. Might look into one of those.

A coworker of mine has a tiny desk heater she uses. Might look into one of those.

I think our office doesn't let us buy them.

I don't think any office let's you buy them...

People just... do

People doing whatever they want got so out of hand around here at GenericMegaCorp that they stopped allowing people to "install" power strips themselves because they'd keep chaining them.

This discussion has been closed.