As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] "Peace!" "WAR!" "War and Peace." "JUST WAR." "The book, sister."

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    If anything it would be great to see some wood elf/beastman/chaos mechanical updates even if they didn’t spring for new lords.

I think it is generally agreed on that Norsca is fine and all the other game 1 dlc could really use a rework.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Apparently Ariel and and Alarielle are two different characters. So nevermind, they can still make the Queen a legendary lord.

• Options
    Cojo MojoCojo Mojo Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Apparently Ariel and and Alarielle are two different characters. So nevermind, they can still make the Queen a legendary lord.

Wood Elves don't have a caster LL right now so it would make sense to give them Ariel. I want my butterfly queen!
    eg54c0dyffd0.png

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

They've added a neat little unique building in an empire province that's a reference to Warhammer Vermintide.

See the pictures for the interesting garrison it provides!

• Options
    Hrm, people are reporting Nakai actually starts in Lustria if the player doesn’t play him...

Apparently AI Nakai was just kicking too much Norscan and Empire ass.

The fact they can do this brings up some nice possibilities (Ex. Eltharion starting in Ulthuan as AI but with a player campaign to take over Badlands, or Skarsnik getting moved to 8 peaks in games where the player isn’t him)

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Edit: Whoops, I was a bit off. That's what I get for posting just after waking up.

They have a topic and a blog discussing how they changed Nakai's start position when playing as Gor-Rok. As otherwise the two would need to fight very quickly or Gor-Rok usually wouldn't finish his province.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    As neat as the easter egg is; that building doesn't seem worth building in lieu of a public order/money building.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Garrison seems solid, though.

Not in a "That's pretty cool" way but in an earnest meaning of it being nice to have those heroes.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

They've added a neat little unique building in an empire province that's a reference to Warhammer Vermintide.

See the pictures for the interesting garrison it provides!

I frickin’ love stuff like this.

Like when FFG made up the Imperial Raider for X-Wing, and then it showed up in Battlefront and maybe TFA.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Do you guys think that Total Warhammer is pulling in more money than tabletop? I can't imagine GW stuff is selling enough stuff to compare to the millions of copies that TW has sold.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Do you guys think that Total Warhammer is pulling in more money than tabletop? I can't imagine GW stuff is selling enough stuff to compare to the millions of copies that TW has sold.

From their financial report:
    royalty income increased in the year by £1.7 million to £11.4 million. This was due to the strong performances of Total War: Warhammer II
    and Warhammer: Vermintide 2. Reported income is split as follows: 87% PC and console games, 7% mobile and 6% other

They had sales of about £220 million in the same financial year so it's a decent amount. Their tabletop games have had a good turnaround in the past few years. Before that their royalty income was a massive boon.

I'm surprised they've not tried the get other big games companies making Warhammer games considering how successful total war has been.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    What lords are there to include for wood elves? The lady elf was added to the High Elf faction

Araloth the Bold, Naestra and Arahan (the Sisters of Twilight), Scarloc, Thalandor Doomstar.

I think Thalandor is already in leading a Rogue Army, but that could always be changed.

There's also Drycha as another big name. Give her a horde campaign trying to free Coeddil or something (and then gets to actually use him once she does).

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Got my key.

Want to play.

DLC not out yet.

Karoz on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Watched a bit of a Lets Play with Nakai and holy shit he's a beast. It was like watching The Hulk charge into a thousand Orcs and just stand there wrecking shit.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Is Mortal Empires worth playing these days? I gave up on that game mode fairly early into WH2's release.

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    depends...if you are an old world race sure.

the new world races? you get less territory and resources, with not much gained with access to the trade & alliances of the old world.
    Tombkings, Kroq Gar, the Skaven LL that have start locations in the old world (Ikit Claw and Clan Mors warrior dude) are decent campaigns to run there.

HE, DE, all the other Lizardmen and Skaven LL's, Vampirates; just play the vortex campaign.

• Options
    Perdurabo wrote: »
    Is Mortal Empires worth playing these days? I gave up on that game mode fairly early into WH2's release.

They've been slowly revamping the Warhammer 1 factions to make them more unique and interesting and have moved lots of lords about the make the map more challenging/varied.

Depends on how willing you are to wait during the long turn times.

• Options

the new world races? you get less territory and resources, with not much gained with access to the trade & alliances of the old world.
    Tombkings, Kroq Gar, the Skaven LL that have start locations in the old world (Ikit Claw and Clan Mors warrior dude) are decent campaigns to run there.

HE, DE, all the other Lizardmen and Skaven LL's, Vampirates; just play the vortex campaign.

I would agree mostly...

Lustria in ME is interesting if you want a challenge though, it’s a battle royale with like 10 LLs on one small continent.

For HE and Dark elf factions that aren’t in Lustria the old world becomes pretty extraneous.

• Options
    Oh, Himmler or whatever his name is, the necromancer LL that now starts in the mountains of Brettonia is a WONDERFUL campaign. His mountain affinity allows the Vampires to take over most of the old world with favorable climate rating.

• Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    But are the campaigns actually interesting, outside of seeing everyone on the same map? It just felt like two shrunken maps stuck together when I played before (with ridiculous load times). The campaigns for WH1 and WH2 just felt better.

• Options
    Yeah, there are some interesting campaigns.

Hemmler as mentioned, Norsca (either) Brettonia (either) now, Aranessa Saltspite, the southlands in general. Hopefully the Empire now with the new patch.

The only real boring areas I feel like are on the eastern edge of the map. Hopefully a greenskins update will revamp that area a bit.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If you install the turn time killer mod Mortal Empires can be a lot of fun

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Oh, Himmler or whatever his name is
    Hemmler as mentioned

Heinrich Kemmler...

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Look the dude is a german or a nazi but with magic

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

The more I read up on what it actually did, the less I wanted to use it. I use a mod to speed up the end turn animations and camera but if you're talking about the mod I think you are, it's not all milk and honey. Especially in end game it causes issues with campaign AI.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Hey hey hey... You also get worse performance
    Perdurabo wrote: »
    But are the campaigns actually interesting, outside of seeing everyone on the same map? It just felt like two shrunken maps stuck together when I played before (with ridiculous load times). The campaigns for WH1 and WH2 just felt better.

the ME old world map is the same size as the WH1 map. Its bigger definitely.

The real thing is that you don't get any of the WH2 improvements (or updates!) by going back and playing WH1. So the only way to play the WH1 races in a way that matters is via Mortal Empires.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Wulfhart is good fun.

For some reason Nakai was very willing to make peace with me so I'm free to expand as i want.

Massed archers are pretty great especially with buffs from Wulfhart's red skill tree. Mortars just massacre everything especially as Lizardmen are quite slow and tend to mass together.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I'm about 100 turns into Nakai's campaign.

Why won't you confederate with me, you big dumb lizards!?
    Tehenhauin acted like he might with a moderate chance on one turn, but nope, declined and went right back to red every turn after that.

I actually triggered the final battle a long time ago but haven't attempted it yet.
    It seems to trigger once all four hunters are killed. I killed two of them, and somebody else killed the other two so it triggered. Of course, the heroes constantly respawn anyways. I assume that will stop when I manage to wipe out the rest of Wulfhart's faction.

• Options
    I'm looking forward to playing when I'm done work. Tried to download it beforehand and play a bit then, but Steam basically installed the entire game again.

Gonna go Nakai first off, even if Wulfhart's campaign looks rather cool. Might wait on that until Gotrek and Felix are out.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Hmm, yeah, nope I'm not winning that first fight as the Empire's Hunter guy.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Went to the store page to look for the DLC, and saw that suddenly Warhammer 2 has a Mixed score. I've been out of the TW loop for a while, but CA signed a publishing deal with Netease for China and people don't like that? Also it's getting review bombed again because CA broke ports with this DLC?

Man Steam reviewers can be petty.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Steam users trying to flex their consumer muscles have largely made Steam reviews useless except for, like, seeing if a game has any major playability problems on release or something.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The difficulty changes they made to legendary actually make this Nakai vortex campaign a real challenge. The vision change combines quite harshly with the veterancy buffs. It's easy to run into a stack of units that were routeable at base veterancy but will just keep fighting because they're silver 1 at like ten turns in.

Nakai has almost no real income so unless I hit up my vassal for tribute it's hard to get a big enough stack to securely eliminate the high vet stacks I'm facing everywhere.

danx on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Really like Gelt’s new start. Also mountains as a favored terrain hello. Goodbye only reason I kept dorfs around.

The worst part of starting empire was the empire secessionist chase where it felt like the game just spun its wheels until you were done.

• Options
    My Nakai playthrough went off the rails very quickly mainly as Vashnar's Conquest spawned inside my vassal's territory very early on. So early in fact that I may as well just restart rather than deal with that clusterfuck.

They really need to make it so Vashnar's doesn't spawn until you can reasonably have an army to deal with him.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

The more I read up on what it actually did, the less I wanted to use it. I use a mod to speed up the end turn animations and camera but if you're talking about the mod I think you are, it's not all milk and honey. Especially in end game it causes issues with campaign AI.

The turn time destroyer really depends on how much you usually expand in an ME campaign. CA even said statistics showed most people don't actually expand that far before they end the campaign. The radius around your start where it leaves stuff intact is pretty large - usually when you reach those sorts of areas a dominant enemy AI has razed or occupied most of it anyway. Looking at the example map, starting in Sylvania as Vampire Counts will leave all of the Old World and most of the Southlands intact, but clearing the minor factions in Ulthuan, Lustria and the desert. Which given my current Vlad campaign has me at turn 76 and I haven't gotten into the Northlands or Southlands yet, let alone Brettonia, it seems that's a more than reasonable area.

It's going to have issues of course since it's wiping out competition for Legendary Lords in far away lands. But the thought behind how it works is sound.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Nakai protip: you vassal gives you a share of their money, but also will happily give you any cash they have lying around and aren’t using if you ask for it. This isn’t really made obvious anywhere, and makes the campaign a LOT easier.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Went to the store page to look for the DLC, and saw that suddenly Warhammer 2 has a Mixed score. I've been out of the TW loop for a while, but CA signed a publishing deal with Netease for China and people don't like that? Also it's getting review bombed again because CA broke ports with this DLC?

Man Steam reviewers can be petty.

Pretty much any heavily DLC based games get review bombed.

• Options
    I started a Markus Wulfhart campaign last night. They weren't kidding when they said he had a hard start. You have hostiles all around you and little more than state troops to defend yourself with. That first battle was a nail biter. Nearly lost Markus when the flank he was firing from collapsed. Luckily I was able to kite the stegadon with my cart and keep him out of the main fight. Taking the other city in your providence was another nail biter but I came away with the win and didn't lose any full units. The Orkz near me declared war so I had to march off and take care of that mess. Again I just barely squeaked away with a win when 1.5 stacks of savage orcs came after me. Nearly all of my battles have been super close and I have hostile forces on all sides. I got the threat level to max and it spawned a full stack of lizardmen on my southern border. I managed to occupy the castle right before their laid siege to it. It looks like it's going to be a hilariously 1 sided battle but I think I'm going to let them build up some towers so I can have a proper siege defence.

I live for epic siege defences in this game. They are, hands down, my favorite mechanic in the game. Unfortunately I am typically so aggressive that these moments are few and far between. I'm more oft to lighting strike a group of armies, whittling them down one by one, than let them get to my cities in the first place.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    My Nakai playthrough went off the rails very quickly mainly as Vashnar's Conquest spawned inside my vassal's territory very early on. So early in fact that I may as well just restart rather than deal with that clusterfuck.

They really need to make it so Vashnar's doesn't spawn until you can reasonably have an army to deal with him.

Is Vashnar hostile? In the Old World campaign there is always a potentially serious spawn early. But they don't attack you to try and claim your land so you can just let them raid a bit until you can deal with them

wbBv3fj.png
This discussion has been closed.