As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Honestly it all makes me really appreciate SoV’s canon relationships and endings

I wasn’t sure what I’d think of them but when the credits rolled they were so wholly appropriate for the characters, the writers did a great job

Edit: except for Faye, of course

Janson on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »

Apparently this firmware update is out now. Interesting that it's a system-level issue and not a game-level issue!

I don't know what system version 9.0.0 does but that's a big number

dN0T6ur.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    A-rank support for Flayn and Seteth

what

what

WHAT

Veldrin wrote: »

what

what

WHAT
    So tell us about your playthrough

dN0T6ur.png
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

what

what

WHAT

did you uh

not see that coming?

also man the last two missions in black eagles are some doozies whew.

Gundi wrote: »

what

what

WHAT

did you uh

not see that coming?

If you mean the father/daughter thing, then yes, that was kinda obvious from the start and I’d also done their paralogue.

If you mean them actually being Cichol and Cethleann, then nope, that honestly got me.

Wyborn wrote: »

what

what

WHAT

I haven’t finished yet!

Cool!
    There are a bunch of different ways you can figure it out, and several different places where it is explicitly stated. However on most paths it isn't ever explicitly stated so you can only get that info from supports or certain battle dialogues.

Cool!
    There are a bunch of different ways you can figure it out, and several different places where it is explicitly stated. However on most paths it isn't ever explicitly stated so you can only get that info from supports or certain battle dialogues.
    I think the only real hint I noticed was from Bernie’s supports with Seteth, but I must have looked past that more as her just kinda deifying him for treating her so kindly and honestly.

oh sweet seteth this final black eagle mission is

whoof

gahtdamn

It is so much harder than any mission on the Golden Deer run. And the mission before it too. I am actually slightly scared what it'll be like whenever the extra hard difficulty mode comes out.

alright, black eagles credits rolling

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Cool!
    I think the only real hint I noticed was from Bernie’s supports with Seteth, but I must have looked past that more as her just kinda deifying him for treating her so kindly and honestly.

So you can get info re: flayn/seteth in the following ways at least:
    Ignatz/Flayn Supports
    Leonie/Linhardt paralogue, have Flayn attack the boss (seteth as well though you'll get less information)
    GD route only: Claude Paralogue, have Flayn attack the boss (seteth as well, but again less info)
    Silver Snow late game
    The birthday of Flayn and Seteth are the same as the saints, which are the same as their crests
    The green hair clue of course when combined with the above

I know there's at least another support that gives it away, but I can't recall at this point

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius

what

what

WHAT

I haven’t finished yet!

Feel free to post more impressions! It's always a delight to read

I'm happy you're having fun with the game

dN0T6ur.png
    edited September 2019
    i just realized that i can't make my dedue a dancer because post-timeskip dancer dimitri is too funny to not do

or rather

to not dedue

Gundi on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

what

what

WHAT

did you uh

not see that coming?

If you mean the father/daughter thing, then yes, that was kinda obvious from the start and I’d also done their paralogue.

If you mean them actually being Cichol and Cethleann, then nope, that honestly got me.

after I figured the second thing out I also realized that
    Rhea must be Saint Seiros. Wow, what a coincidence, that you run the Church of Seiros, and your birthday, is on Saint Seiros day!

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited September 2019
    So Dimitri will be a dancer.
    Dedue will be a mage.
    Mercedes will be a swordlady.
    Annette will be an armor knight.
    Felix will be a healer.
    Ashe will be a brigand
    Ingrid will be an archer.
    Sylvain will also probably be a mage unless I can think of something funnier

Gundi on
    SilverWind and I have reached the point where we're discussing who the actual arbiters of historical truth are in this game, which is very fun

dN0T6ur.png
    edited September 2019
    I’ve just finished chapter 20 with Blue Lions
    Ok, does the Death Knight ever get properly explained or what?

So far I’ve figured that he’s definitely Jeritza. And I’m assuming he and Mercedes are related in some way, because of the hair and his specific mentioning of her.

But I killed him with Mercedes and there was nothing? No dialogue or anything.

I really feel like I’ve missed a paralogue somewhere, which is annoying because I thought I’d covered every one.

Veldrin on
    edited September 2019

So far I’ve figured that he’s definitely Jeritza. And I’m assuming he and Mercedes are related in some way, because of the hair and his specific mentioning of her.

I really feel like I’ve missed a paralogue somewhere, which is annoying because I thought I’d covered every one.

This might cheese you off a little, but:
    The only way to get the paralogue that goes into Mercedes's relationship with the death knight is to also have Caspar recruited onto your team alongside her, so you have both after the timeskip

This works on every path except for Crimson Flower

I've actually yet to get it myself! Aiming for it on my own Blue Lions playthrough

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    SilverWind and I have reached the point where we're discussing who the actual arbiters of historical truth are in this game, which is very fun

While I haven't played Blue Lions I've heard it has less to do with the background of the world instead focusing on the more contemporary past. So that being said, it is kind of neat how literally everybody who tells you about history feels like they're either deliberately misrepresenting facts or, more commonly, just have a very narrow shaky grasp of historical events. Which is realistic, I guess. History is hard to grasp even when you're very invested, and most people aren't.

Even characters who should be extremely knowledgeable about the subject seem to have big gaps in their knowledge, and our often very recalcitrant towards inquiries besides.

Alternative answer: Whoever you pick as your lord is the arbiter of truth.

edited September 2019
    I came across another ‘Byleth has a huge appetite/loves to party’ line in Blue Lions, I am going to have to start officially compiling these, it’s definitely my favourite route-specific Byleth trait.

Did you recruit Caspar?
    He and Mercedes have a paralogue in Act 2 together. It’s not obvious you need to have recruited him and I missed it first time, too.

Blue Lions exclusive:
    Although you can get their paralogue on other routes, if you do their paralogue on Blue Lions then in Chapter 20 you apparently get an extra bit between Mercedes and the Death Knight.

Edit: I was too slow!

Janson on
    edited September 2019

what

what

WHAT

did you uh

not see that coming?

Rhea must be Saint Seiros. Wow, what a coincidence, that you run the Church of Seiros, and your birthday, is on Saint Seiros day!
    See the opening cutscene kind of gave that away to me. I saw Rhea and I was like wow you're that person from the cutscene. You both look and sound identical. And then when I quickly read in the library all the world background stuff I was like "okay Rhea is Seiros who is still alive".

Maybe having a plot point that characters can be easily impersonated was meant to throw a curve ball there but like... if I see two characters who look identical I'm going to assume occam's razor that they're the same person.

Gundi on
    I know Tcheldor and I had very different takes on what you learn in the Blue Lions:
    Ultimately you don’t learn the concrete truth and some of the story points are abandoned.

Which frustrated Tcheldor, as I recall.

But the abandonment of the story points coincides with Dimitri setting aside his desire for revenge and vowing to move forward, which I thought was nicely done. In the end he (and Gilbert) realize there’s nothing more to be gained from dwelling on the past and accept they’ll not discover the entire truth of the matter.
    DAMN IT

Sorry :( I understand how annoying it must be!

edited September 2019
    Janson wrote: »
    DAMN IT

Sorry :( I understand how annoying it must be!

Aha, it's ok! I'm just most likely never going to be able to play any other routes, so I've been treating this run as my canon and trying to milk it for all it's worth.

Also the irony of it all just stings a little more, since I had only just killed Caspar the chapter prior :rotate:

Veldrin on
    I feel like it definitely could have been made more obvious which characters have paralogues together; there’s nothing else connecting Caspar to Mercedes, and in many ways the game discourages recruiting all students.

If you would like to know:
    The Death Knight/Jeritza is Mercedes’ younger brother, Emile.

We can learn from exploring the monastery that sometime after Mercedes and her mother were kicked out of the Bartels household that the Bartels were all brutally slaughtered and that Emile may have been to blame.

He’s not explained in any more depth on the other routes and ultimately he’s still somewhat mysterious regardless of the route you play!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

what

what

WHAT

did you uh

not see that coming?

She the opening cutscene kind of gave that away to me. I saw Rhea and I was like wow you're that person from the cutscene. You both look and sound identical. And then when I quickly read in the library all the world background stuff I was like "okay Rhea is Seiros who is still alive".

Maybe having a plot point that characters can be easily impersonated was meant to throw a curve ball there but like... if I see two characters who look identical I'm going to assume occam's razor that they're the same person.
    I wasn't thinking too hard about the resemblance before I figured out Flaynn and Seteth, I thought "maybe that opening cutscene wasn't that long ago, or maybe it was an ancestor of Rhea's" and then never thought about it again when information like "the guy who used that whip sword last was killed 1000 years ago by Saint Seiros" was presented to me.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Anyone who’s got past the post-ballroom scene in Blue Lions should go back and watch the cutscene at the very beginning of the game where Byleth saves Edelgard’s life!

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Anyone who’s got past the post-ballroom scene in Blue Lions should go back and watch the cutscene at the very beginning of the game where Byleth saves Edelgard’s life!

Can you explain? I don’t understand what you’re getting at.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Post Chapter 20 Golden Deer
    Wow.. Edelgard still calls you "My Teacher" and seems deeply attached to you (not sufficiently enough to set aside her goals, but nothing, to her, is sufficient for that... even on the Black Eagles route)

Byleth probably had fairly limited interaction with her at the monastery--perhaps saving her from the bandit (...that she was fully capable of fighting) really made an impression on her

Funny, I was expecting Edelgard to go more ruthless than in BE but I don't really see any signs of it aside from her being beholden/dependent on the TWISTED--really, all the heinous shit can be blamed on them.

Also: Hubert's narration in the final letter was very moving

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    My favourite Death Knight bit comes in Crimson Flower.
    When Manuela comments that the Death Knight visited her one day to gently and sincerely apologize to her for stabbing her that one time back in Part 1. I'm sad we never actually get to see that scene, because it'd be funny. It makes the Death Knight slightly more than this weird, violent brute.

Can you explain? I don’t understand what you’re getting at.
    Freeze frame on the dagger Edelgard pulls out to defend herself. It’s clearly the same one. :)

SilverWind wrote: »
    Post Chapter 20 Golden Deer
    Wow.. Edelgard still calls you "My Teacher" and seems deeply attached to you (not sufficiently enough to set aside her goals, but nothing, to her, is sufficient for that... even on the Black Eagles route)

Byleth probably had fairly limited interaction with her at the monastery--perhaps saving her from the bandit (...that she was fully capable of fighting) really made an impression on her

Funny, I was expecting Edelgard to go more ruthless than in BE but I don't really see any signs of it aside from her being beholden/dependent on the TWISTED--really, all the heinous shit can be blamed on them.

Also: Hubert's narration in the final letter was very moving

This reminds me of my brother's reaction to a similar scene in Silver Snow
    I won't go into the details of the scene except to say "Silver Snow and Verdant Wind are apparently very similar in some parts"

My brother's reaction to that scene, since Silver Snow was his first path, was that Edelgard fulfills the same role as a Fist of the North Star villain—that is, an opponent who changes whoever she interacts with. When you defeat her you still carry her spirit forward into the future, because that is the burden of the victor

I'm curious to know if she fills a similar role in Azure Moon. I have my doubts, given the principle characters of Azure Moon, but I look forward to finding out

dN0T6ur.png
    edited September 2019
    When Manuela comments that the Death Knight visited her one day to gently and sincerely apologize to her for stabbing her that one time back in Part 1. I'm sad we never actually get to see that scene, because it'd be funny. It makes the Death Knight slightly more than this weird, violent brute.
    Well actually she goes to him, but yeah.

Gundi on
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I wanted there to be so much more dealing with this kind of thing in crimson flower and was so disappointed when there wasn’t.

burning through vulneraries in my first few chapters of dumb blue lions campaign.

that's definitely not a bad sign.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Hilda's brother (incidental dialogue GD start of Chapter 21, but not really spoilers)
    Hilda: I was hoping my big brother would help us in this next battle.
    But he says that I can represent House Goneril without his help. That I have it in me.
    I'm glad he recognizes that I have some ability. Still, I wish he wasn't leaving it all to me.

Holst beats Hilda (and everyone else!) at her own game

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    Dedue will murder folks with his... 2 magic.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Dedue will murder folks with his... 2 magic.

I doubt it.

oh my gosh, after i promoted dedue to a mage he ended up with 8 magic.

basically unstoppable now.