As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Thread! Streaming Service is live! Aquaman out in December! Comics, I guess!

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    So it might just be me but is DC aware of how big of a pain in the ass it is to make sure you get the trade with the story your looking for?

It might be a minor complaint but having the issues collected in the trade only be stated in the copyright law material print is kind of a pain in my ass!

icGJy2C.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    So it might just be me but is DC aware of how big of a pain in the ass it is to make sure you get the trade with the story your looking for?

It might be a minor complaint but having the issues collected in the trade only be stated in the copyright law material print is kind of a pain in my ass!

Yeah this is standard practice and it's absolutely bizarre to me

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Good lord this is gonna be a pretty book

CYpGAPn.png
    edited September 2019
    DC accidentally published its blog post about the Suicide Squad relaunch ahead of a THR story tomorrow, the cover isn't loadable outside of the page so I took a shitty screenshot
    0l6sf050jpen.jpg

Harley Quinn, Deadshot, King Shark, 2 folks I don't recognize (I think the lady might be Magpie?) and fuckin Zebra-Man???

The article confirms Tom Taylor and Bruno Redondo are the creative team and the Squad will be taking down a terrorist group known as The Revolutionaries, and the survivors of the encounter will be conscripted into the Squad.

I'm gonna guess that's where Thylacine comes in.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm sure she's used them before but Harley with guns looks really odd to me.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah pretty sure that's Magpie. Those dumb glasses are iconic.

The swordsman is, I believe, Cavalier. Super minor Batman villain with an electricity sword.

Overall a good Squad. I've still never loved Harley on the team, but she's a regular at this point so there's nothing to be done there.

Straightzi on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've always kinda thought the Suicide Squad should have literally no continuity of membership between missions

There should be no regulars, it should always be "what scumfucks do we have conveniently locked up to throw at this thing right this moment"

And I know there HAVE been many incarnations of it but like Harley should quit appearing, specifically, since this is the topic

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Straightzi wrote: »

The swordsman is, I believe, Cavalier. Super minor Batman villain with an electricity sword.

Overall a good Squad. I've still never loved Harley on the team, but she's a regular at this point so there's nothing to be done there.

i keep going back and forth on the cavalier or captain cutlass for sword guy -- both chump level bat villains

i also could swear he had a matador themed villain that might fit the bill, but i am blanking on the name.

or mixing them up with daredevil's matador

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

Eh I am fine with Harley on this book specifically because it is a Tom Taylor joint and he wrote her pretty dang well consistently in the Injustice comics

CYpGAPn.png
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    The only time Harley looks right with a gun is if it's a comically oversized revolver that may actually have a "BANG!" flag instead of bullets.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    Also while I agree Suicide Squad should have a large cast that rotates in and out there should be fixtures that stick around and Deadshot is one of them

CYpGAPn.png

i keep going back and forth on the cavalier or captain cutlass for sword guy -- both chump level bat villains

i also could swear he had a matador themed villain that might fit the bill, but i am blanking on the name.

or mixing them up with daredevil's matador

It looks like it's Hudson Pyle Cavalier, who actually has shown up in Tom King's Batman as recently as a couple of years ago:

3rydbrI.jpg

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I've always kinda thought the Suicide Squad should have literally no continuity of membership between missions

There should be no regulars, it should always be "what scumfucks do we have conveniently locked up to throw at this thing right this moment"

I like there being a couple of regulars, but it definitely should rotate them around a bunch, and the people who frequently recur should have a reason for that anomalous behavior.

Like, Flagg is there because he feels obligated to be. Deadshot is there because he's low-key suicidal. People like Bronze Tiger or Nightshade join up as a form of repentance for the places where they've blurred the line. Boomerang keeps coming back because he's dumb as shit and keeps getting caught.

I do find it super funny that somehow Harley Quinn, Deadshot and King Shark have become, like, the Trinity of the Suicide Squad

What a fuckin weird thing to happen

Also I would be shocked if Boomer doesn't show up given Taylor is Australian and has said Ostrander's run is one of his favorite comics

CYpGAPn.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I do find it super funny that somehow Harley Quinn, Deadshot and King Shark have become, like, the Trinity of the Suicide Squad

What a fuckin weird thing to happen

Also I would be shocked if Boomer doesn't show up given Taylor is Australian and has said Ostrander's run is one of his favorite comics

Isn't it more Killer Croc than King Shark? They even did a bit on that when Aquaman and Suicide Squad crossed over.

The THR story is out and it is an extended interview with Taylor, who says the mission statement for the book is getting back to its core premise: these are suicide missions.
    For a long time, there's been a sense of safety around the Suicide Squad. The anti-heroes and villains have gone out on the mission, fought dirty, won dirty and most of them have come home. In our book, that's not the case any more. The team we send out in issue one won't all live through the first mission. DC characters with years of history are going to be confined to history after issue one. Truly, no one is safe.

There's a new regime, and the new regime sees this team as assets and nothing more. They don't care if they lose them in the field, they can always get more. And they do get more. Alongside fan-favorites like Harley Quinn and Deadshot, all new characters are going to be debuting in this book. New powered people are coming, and they do not want to be there. This is the most divided the Suicide Squad will have ever been. The missions will be hard, but surviving each other may be the hardest of all.

He also says that even usual meta-reasons like "oh this character is safe because they're gonna be in a movie" are off the table, he has gotten editorial clearance to make everyone a potential target.

He also revealed another new character, Wink, who is a teleporter.

CYpGAPn.png
    If I had to guess
    Deadshot doesn't make it past issue 1

CYpGAPn.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Wink:Blink = Deadpool:Deathstroke

Creating new characters for Suicide Squad feels weird to me

On occasion, sure, if you have a specific role that you're looking to fill or whatever

But I feel like part of the charm of the comic is that it reuses existing characters, often fleshing out their personalities further and expanding their characterizations and such

It's a comic that heavily depends on the shared universe it occupies, and is the better for it, and when you're using it to introduce new characters, that feels weird and antithetical

It sounds like he is using a mix of new and old characters.

And Ostrander created a fair bit of new characters himself in his run. Amanda Waller was a new character who had shown up only in the event leading up to Suicide Squad #1 which Ostrander also wrote.

As long as it isn't all newbies all the time I think it is fine.

CYpGAPn.png
    All newbies all the time and kill half of em at the end of every arc, I demand it

Will nothing sate your bloodlust

CYpGAPn.png
    Another arbitrary issue will distract me soon, I'm sure

Maybe it's just the hype cycle that's throwing me off, I probably wouldn't think twice if a character I'd never heard of showed up in the book while I was reading it. But things like this imply that these characters are going to be sticking around for more than one issue (which is a big place where I can think of Ostrander creating characters). I'll have to read it to find out I guess.

If I had to guess

This would be extremely fair and also make me extremely sad

If I had to guess

This would be extremely fair and also make me extremely sad
    Saaaaaaame

CYpGAPn.png
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    It sounds like he is using a mix of new and old characters.

And Ostrander created a fair bit of new characters himself in his run. Amanda Waller was a new character who had shown up only in the event leading up to Suicide Squad #1 which Ostrander also wrote.

As long as it isn't all newbies all the time I think it is fine.

i dunno, i think there is a difference between creating a bunch of characters that supported the squad as opposed to squad members, which he only created maybe 3-4 new characters out of 50ish total members in the end.

unless you wanna count grant morisson as a new character

6vjsgrerts6r.png

The only new Squad member who stuck around for more than one issue that I can think of is Ravan

Who he created as an antagonist to the Squad, and wasn't recruited until a while afterwards

I'm sure there's more, and obviously there's the support staff, but overall it was based on existing characters

edited September 2019
    You know I do

The interview has Taylor say no one, new or old is safe and also that he has a long list of existing DC characters he is pulling from so I think these worries are unfounded

Like, of the 8 characters revealed only 2 are new and they, like Ravan, seem to be antagonists who get forcibly recruited

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    All newbies all the time and kill half of em at the end of every arc, I demand it

a New X-men fan I see

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Okay but they're not actually going to kill Harley and if they try to make you believe they did, it is a large lie. The last time they rebooted the book, they "killed" Captain Boomerang. Jk.

So Harley needs to exit the book.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

Yeah this is standard practice and it's absolutely bizarre to me

I did find the issues on the back of trade it turns out I can't read, but really the page with credits to the creators is the place to put it as well!

anyways the trade was Dark Nights Metal cause I read the pitch and was sold and then was re sold 6 pages in so that was good

reread What Ever Happened To the Man of Tomorrow? Cause I'm a Moore homer and the trade also has a Swamp Thing + For the Man Who Has Everything which are both also good

the next thing ima search out and read is Morrison's Animal Man cause I've only ever seen people reference it or make jokes alluding to it but I've never read it or even the pitch so i've been very confused but very interested

icGJy2C.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Morrison's Animal Man is a must read

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    If I had to guess
    Seeing as he's not wearing his usual helmet, it does seem like his skull has become an open target.

Morrison's Animal Man is a must read
    The Coyote Gospel is one of the best done in ones in comics history

CYpGAPn.png
    edited September 2019
    For some bizarre reason DC decided to release a 9 page preview of Gotham City Monsters #1, almost half the issue.
    a1327f4qugyd.jpg
    ftb5vbde2rhy.jpg
    kxdtt6colg8t.jpg
    suv76d8s60hd.jpg
    28okoaas1nt2.jpg
    60dp8whqi3q7.jpg
    unuxjnhrqd1u.jpg
    5vjbhimkiyre.jpg
    cg58nd7rugb0.jpg

I guess whatever they are thinking works cause this seems rad as all hell

Monstertown is immediately one of the coolest additions to Gotham City in ages and I hope it isn't quickly forgotten

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    OK so this is gonna sound kinda dismissive, and I get people like Killer Croc and wanna see him do good, but doesn't he actually eat people

So does Venom! Who are we to judge, really

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm not even bothering to read the preview because I was sold on Steve Orlando and that cast

This discussion has been closed.