As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm [Kingdom], he's [Hearts], and that's [Thread].

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Sure but he looks the exact same as he was 17 years ago. It's throwing me off. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Its going to be really weird in KH4 when Osment will pretend to be a teenager at age 54.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Its going to be really weird in KH4 when Osment will pretend to be a teenager at age 54.

Not really. Bart Simpson's VA is how old?

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Sure but he looks the exact same as he was 17 years ago. It's throwing me off. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Sora has actually matured physically for Kingdom Hearts 3.

lVdJtN4.jpg

Technically I think only a year's passed between the two, though, so maybe that doesn't make it better.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    A year for teenagers/kids can make a big difference!

Anyway, check out my cool new limited edition Sora jacket/Riku hoodie combo:
    DUjvcAnl.jpg
    BzRkH7ql.jpg
    Oyl1Jdkl.jpg
    HKPdcmxl.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

Sora has actually matured physically for Kingdom Hearts 3.

lVdJtN4.jpg

Technically I think only a year's passed between the two, though, so maybe that doesn't make it better.

Agreed. In a setting where everyone already looks young (lots of names for this, I call it "Geobreeders syndrome"), Sora (probably thanks to the character design time that inevitably goes into the main character) actually has subtle changed in such matter that he absolutely looks multiple years older than he did when we met him in the first Kingdom Hearts.

Too bad there was more than a decade between major, chronologically-successive entries and Sora's spent so much time weird time-traveling sleep comas his brain is probably mush.

• Options
    Yeah if you didn't put those two images side-by-side I would have bet a lot of money that he looked exactly the same as he did in the previous ones. So I suppose they did a really good job at aging him enough to not make him look wildly different.

The game itself is really fun so far.... I just hope they flashiness of all the attacks don't begin to wear thin. Start a fight -> Kill the guy with the green circle -> Hop on the pirate ship and kill everything -> change to 2nd form -> final attack, etc. It's all very flashy and a full of spectacles but if every fight is like that then I can see myself getting very bored in the next few hours.

Also I hope they pull that stuff from FF7:R, but I know they won't.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Pro-tip: don't use attractions. The combat is already easy and they are comically over powered and proc way too much and there are only a couple of them so if you use them every time they pop up you will definitely just be seeing the exact same big animation killing everything on screen over and over.

Set the triangle button to move to the newest action so that it just auto skips to the stuff you want.

• Options
    I might use them once to see them... Plus my kids enjoy them, but yeah they definitely make every fight a breeze.

Also I really wish there was a way to flip the controls around. Having Square be dodge, Circle be Jump, and X attack is really throwing me off lol.

• Options
    Oh yea. Whenever a new one popped up I used it once because I like to see new animations for sure. But man they just trigger so damn often and then for some reason you get like a bunch of skills to make the trigger even more often. It's crazy.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    They heard the complaints, at least, since the new Critical Mode lets you turn off attractions for a formchange boost.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Keep yourself entertained with the combat by:
    - Only using attractions enough times to see them all, or when you're supposed to (the train one in both instances) or if you're in trouble ever.
    - Switch up keys constantly to see all the different moves. Switch between them mid-fight to do good combos.
    - Use defensive keys at appropriate times, magic keys for dodgy or flying foes, physical keys for tanky foes, etc.
    - Try out all the summons and team up supers for funsies.
    - Use Flowmotion or environmental shit when convenient. Attacking from big drops or while wallrunning is fun.
    - Use magic for combos to get at all the super magic spells.

If you challenge yourself to fight using the whole toolkit, the game will stay WAY more interesting than if you pick one key and formchange with it everytime. Which the game would not punish you for doing.

• Options
    TamerBill wrote: »
    They heard the complaints, at least, since the new Critical Mode lets you turn off attractions for a formchange boost.

Dang. That woulda been cool. Really wish that mode was there from the start so I coulda used it!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm a little baffled by the attractions. It's like they aaaaaalmost resemble real-life Disney park attractions, but they don't. Maybe Disney objected for some reason?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Goodness there are a million cutscenes. They've been going on for 15 minutes about transporting me to another Twilight town without a whole lot of actual information.

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Pulling the thread back into the light through 8 pages of darkness (read: got beat in posting in SE+ thread):

Note: Including the E3 trailer first...

...aaaaand adding spoilers due to potential reveal of characters for anyone not caught up on Secret Movie/Reports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4D_Cu9Ad0s

Turn on captions for this one

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    man, on paper I like KH3 more than KH2...but I only did my Proud mode run and cleared up the portals and that's it. Here's hoping the new DLC adds some replayability for me.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm gonna replay on Critical once the DLC comes out.

But my main complaints were the lack of difficulty and the absence of SE characters.

• Options
    maybe I didn't realize I miss the Colosseum

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Are they fleshing out the last world with the DLC?

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it looks like that is the direction the second trailer is implying. My guess is...
    We see how Sora tries to get Kairi's heart back but in doing so he breaks a time travelling taboo and has to undo the mess he creates from the heart/final world (which might explain why we don't see Sora in some of the refreshed end game group boss fights).

You also have the other story line (more from the first trailer) that is adding some back/side story that ties in influences from Union Cross (mobile) and setting up for the next KH game.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I wonder if they're going to address the random "oh hey we're now in
    the real world
    because we ran out of ideas" ending.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    the real world

I REALLY doubt
    it's the real world.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    the real world

I REALLY doubt
    it's the real world.

Pretty sure it’s
    The World Ends With You’s Shibuya

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    the real world

I REALLY doubt
    it's the real world.

Pretty sure it’s

I thought
    It's the Verum Rex world, with all the Nomura FF15 rejects.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    the real world

I REALLY doubt
    it's the real world.

Pretty sure it’s

I thought
    It's the Verum Rex world, with all the Nomura FF15 rejects.

I was under the impression the epilogue implied
    That it's both

Sora gets stuck in TWEWY, Riku gets stuck in Verum Rex

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Cross-posted from the SE++ thread:

Just a reminder (and a fair spoiler warning to XBox users) that the PS4 DLC release is today/tomorrow!

Western region release is imminent; eastern markets are starting to delve into the content and videos are starting to show up on YouTube.

• Options
    *blink*

Oh right.

Geez, I don’t know what it is, but this game basically dropped off the face of the earth for me after I finished the story. I’m hoping the DLC gets me back in. What’s the price on it?

• Options
    40 I think? Or 30? One of those.

I'm actually kinda excited for this because I had SO MUCH fun with this game and I have nothing to play right now.

Plus one of the options is turning of attractions. And thank goodness for that. I already didn't use them because I hated them so much but now I can actually just remove them? Yes please!

• Options
    I made it to Elsa's level and quit. I might have to restart playing it again eventually but I wonder if KH just isn't a series for me.

• Options
    I made it to Elsa's level and quit. I might have to restart playing it again eventually but I wonder if KH just isn't a series for me.

It definitely has a very unique taste that will not appeal to all!

• Options
    Arendelle is, sadly, a low point for story engagement. It’s one of a couple worlds where Sora seems mandated to never interact with the actual plot.

• Options

It definitely has a very unique taste that will not appeal to all!

I was SUPER into the first one when it came out. But after that it's been me buying the game, playing hard for a short bit and then putting it down. I don't know what it is about KH that does that to me. :(

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The analogy I like to use is that the first game was like the ol' "chocolate in my peanut butter" classic analogy. But the rest of the games kept the chocolate and peanut butter very much separated and would not ever let them touch. So yeah, taking a bite of some chocolate, then a spoonful of peanut butter, in no way matches a peanut butter cup.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Going to Twilight Town and hearing that Seifer has left for some sort of manly training and took Vivi with him is, in this candy analogy, a lot like those left-vs-right Twix ads but done by Reese’s Cups. “It’s time to give the chocolate and peanut butter their own packages.”

• Options
    The analogy I like to use is that the first game was like the ol' "chocolate in my peanut butter" classic analogy. But the rest of the games kept the chocolate and peanut butter very much separated and would not ever let them touch. So yeah, taking a bite of some chocolate, then a spoonful of peanut butter, in no way matches a peanut butter cup.

I'd say KH1 is the absolute weakest of the series though.

• Options
    40 I think? Or 30? One of those.

I'm actually kinda excited for this because I had SO MUCH fun with this game and I have nothing to play right now.

Plus one of the options is turning of attractions. And thank goodness for that. I already didn't use them because I hated them so much but now I can actually just remove them? Yes please!

$30 gets you the DLC; the $40 option adds on the World of Tres concert video footage from one of the tour stops.

Previews of a couple of the tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPo5PXeUco4&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g25v8yngOsI&t=0s

Also, keep in mind there is a free update to 1.07 that adds some changes to the game play and story as well.

• Options
    Not a fan of having to beat Critical mode to get Oblivion. Damn, I'm in the middle of a Nier:Automata playthrough (just finished up the other protagonist missions in Route C) but it looks like I'll have to NG+. Which I guess is fine, hopefully I can just grab my Ultima Keyblade and do fine.

• Options
    Not a fan of having to beat Critical mode to get Oblivion. Damn, I'm in the middle of a Nier:Automata playthrough (just finished up the other protagonist missions in Route C) but it looks like I'll have to NG+. Which I guess is fine, hopefully I can just grab my Ultima Keyblade and do fine.

Oh seriously?

That's super lame.

Good thing Ultima weapon looks super cool. But I just wanted to see the new forms with Oblivion.

Never going to be doing that.

• Options
    Yet another reminder that there is a mobile game for KH (and not to be outshone with the inbound DLC):

Stay tuned for an important announcement tomorrow at 5pm PT! #KHUX

Dat Key Art... :o