As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E Discussion] This is the way 5E ends. Not with a bang but a gnome mindflayer.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    How many times did Frodo ride Smaug, pumping his fist and yelling "Strider!"?

Ah, you've read my fanfic, then ...

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    She's showing her age, but Vermithrax Pejorative was pretty ace.
    https://youtu.be/yfjH89l_lTI

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    She's showing her age, but Vermithrax Pejorative was pretty ace.

Wings? Check.
    Breaths fire? Double check.
    Name? Latin for "Worm of Thrace that makes things worse", so a big check there.

Now, that's a dragon.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    It finally happened...Critical Role's world is officially canonical to D&D

Dungeons & Dragons' upcoming adventure establishes the campaign setting of Critical Role as part of the D&D multiverse. Later this month, Dungeons & Dragons will release Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus, a new campaign that tasks players with rescuing the city of Baldur's Gate from getting dragged into hell...literally. One of the NPCs characters can meet during the campaign is Arkhan the Cruel, a Dragonborn Oathbreaker Paladin created by actor Joe Manganiello. Manganiello wrote parts of Descent Into Avernus and created several new characters who were assisting Arkhan in his quest of freeing the dragon goddess Tiamat from her prison within the Nine Hells.

In fact, Descent Into Avernus explicitly notes that Arkhan retrieved the artifact during a brief stint in Exandria, the world created by Critical Role DM Matthew Mercer. While it's only a passing mention, it also means that the adventures of Critical Role are now officially part of the D&D multiverse.

Hexmage-PA on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Oh booo.
    Booooo!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Oh booo.
    Booooo!

?

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Why is it that, despite being explicitly related, there aren't really mixes of the goblinoid races?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Why is it that, despite being explicitly related, there aren't really mixes of the goblinoid races?

The way it's described it sounds like castes. Intra-caste relationships are not exactly encouraged in societies that have castes.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

The way it's described it sounds like castes. Intra-caste relationships are not exactly encouraged in societies that have castes.

I thought once of having goblinoid society be the way it is because of substances fed to young goblinoids, kind of like how bees become queens thanks to royal jelly.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »

I thought once of having goblinoid society be the way it is because of substances fed to young goblinoids, kind of like how bees become queens thanks to royal jelly.

There's a bunch of media that has it diet related. I dont think dnd has it explicitly spelled out though

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ughh being lazy about writing up the D&D session I'm running tomorrow. Doing a little side mission between big missions in the Acq Inc campaign. The players have to meet with a dragon wyrmling who I really hope they take to, as I REALLY like the personality I've came up for her, and want to play her as an ongoing hopeful ally. Then they have to do a bit of sloothing in the bad side of town to find out about some cult activity. Should only be a couple sessions worth of content but help establish them in the setting a bit more.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Ughh being lazy about writing up the D&D session I'm running tomorrow. Doing a little side mission between big missions in the Acq Inc campaign. The players have to meet with a dragon wyrmling who I really hope they take to, as I REALLY like the personality I've came up for her, and want to play her as an ongoing hopeful ally. Then they have to do a bit of sloothing in the bad side of town to find out about some cult activity. Should only be a couple sessions worth of content but help establish them in the setting a bit more.

For sleuthing I recommend the LA Noire soundtrack. It really sets the mood.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Awesome! I usually just use the chrono trigger soundtrack, I'll check out LA Noire.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

I'm playing a half hobgoblin half human artificer and having a lot of fun with it, it's not really the same thing, but I am playing someone who has a complicated relationship with other goblinoids. I'm demonstrably superior to them intellectually, and I can outfight a hobgoblin warlord, so me being beneath most hobgoblins in their hierarchy is laughable - on the other hand, admire how sure of their place in the universe every single goblinoid is. I'm kind of playing Worf. Kind of a weeaboo of Hobgoblin culture, while carefully avoiding answering the question "well why aren't you living in a legion camp then?"

also last game Maglubiyet called goblin kind to war and I burst into the bedrooms of my party members one at time and conquered them in the name of Maglubiyet, taking them prisoner and herding them all to my small farmhouse cellar.

They were previously briefed about the fact that this happens every once in a while and realize I'll go back to normal in a few days, just go along with it. Same for all my human neighbors, I stole the tinker's supplies and I stole all the chickens from the human couple next door at sword point and they reacted with the annoyance of people who have to go through with this every couple of years. (On a side note, playing a campaign where I started with a house, a small farm, neighbors that know me, and open employment with the city guard in Saltmarsh has been a great experience, it's weird in a D&D game playing an adventurer who just goes home and crashes on the couch while reading a book instead of a tavern or a sleeping bag)

override367 on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Guys... my druid jumped out of a canoe while trying to sneak away from that Yuan-Ti bitch Fenthasa in ToA, wild shaped into a plesiosaurus mid-dive and fought a Hydra underwater.

I love D&D.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I don’t know why but for some reason that made me conjure the beginning of Raiders where instead of a snake it’s a yuan ti

Kadoken on
    edited September 2019
    I wanted holy water on my hobgolin artificer, we needed it to deal with a ghost problem. I asked if I could make a prayer to Maglubiyet to turn my water into holy water, I said in goblin "I'll use this to kill lots of stupid human ghosts that don't know when to shove off the material plane", rolled religion. 4. DM said "yeah nothing happens"

"Well fuck you Maglubiyet" and trailled off into expletive filled rant about dirty, greedy, worthless goblin kind while shaking my fist at the stormy sky

"Roll religion again"
    "25"
    "A bolt of angry lightning hits you, you take 25 points of lightning damage, and your water is now holy water - also its turned to blood, your blood"

See I had a crazy scheme to cast protection from evil and good on my rope of entanglement so I could capture a ghost, and my Salt Marsh DM is 1000% onboard those sorts of shenanigans

override367 on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I wanted holy water on my hobgolin artificer, we needed it to deal with a ghost problem. I asked if I could make a prayer to Maglubiyet to turn my water into holy water, I said in goblin "I'll use this to kill lots of stupid human ghosts that don't know when to shove off the material plane", rolled religion. 4. DM said "yeah nothing happens"

"Well fuck you Maglubiyet" and trailled off into expletive filled rant about dirty, greedy, worthless goblin kind while shaking my fist at the stormy sky

"Roll religion again"
    "25"
    "A bolt of angry lightning hits you, you take 25 points of lightning damage, and your water is now holy water - also its turned to blood, your blood"

See I had a crazy scheme to cast protection from evil and good on my rope of entanglement so I could capture a ghost, and my Salt Marsh DM is 1000% onboard those sorts of shenanigans

So, did all of your water become holy water/blood? Or was it just what's in your flask?
    What I'm wondering is, did your actual blood become consecrated by Maglubiyet? Are you a walking font of holy blood? Is there anyway you can go vampire hunting now?

Just wondering if you're using the Dune definition when it comes to "my water". Seems like it's a potentially non specific prayer that a moderately annoyed god could twist to their own ends.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wait, does this mean all your blood is holy water, now?

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Sounds like the next time you've got a ghost problem, you just pull down your trousers and pee on 'em.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Sounds like the next time you've got a ghost problem, you just pull down your trousers and pee on 'em.

Its his blood that's holy water, not his urine. Unless he's also a raging, death-defying alcoholic...

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »

Its his blood that's holy water, not his urine. Unless he's also a raging, death-defying alcoholic...

Which raises an interesting point, since kidneys filter blood into urine. So if his blood is holy, is that holiness in the red cells or in the plasma? As written the DM's ruling suggests plasma...

I will raise all of these questions, I think its more that the lightning bolt of anger transferred some of my blood and made it holy but I'm totally down with having a renewable source of holy blood

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I will raise all of these questions, I think its more that the lightning bolt of anger transferred some of my blood and made it holy but I'm totally down with having a renewable source of holy blood

If that is true you know the character has to end up as undead with blood that constantly burns her from the inside out.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Spend a hit die to get 4 vials of holy blood. They go bad after 24 hours. :biggrin:

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Last Sunday, we continued our D&D game. We left off two months ago after teleporting away from an island and arriving in a town. Our amnesia has been fixed, we're now Hollow Tainted (every failed death save, you lose sanity points. No sanity points and you're dead for good.)
    We got to pick one of four schools to deal with the taint:
    - Control (req: high WIS, bonus to Insight and extra sanity points. Use meditation and willpower to control the downsides). As a Monk I picked this.
    - Denial (req: High CHA IIRC. Bonus to CHA + extra deception. {George}It's not a lie if you believe it {/George}). Our sorceress went full in this. She thinks she's the only normal one left.
    - Power (req: High STR or INT, also need to be evil. Intimidation + Bonus to a stat of your choice. Undead immortality? Yes, please!) The choice of our bard.
    - Acceptance (Don't know the reqs anymore. Gave bonus to persuasion and something else.) Choice of our fighter.

The town we're in, was populated by dogs. Mostly regular dogs, though some of them wore clothes. The apparent leader, a Golden Retriever Wizard (don't know how he ever passed the minimum INT check) used magic so we could take to him. He translated for us to the rest. Their Master had gone, no other human(oid)s were around. We trying to figure out why we appeared there and also what happened to the villagers, cause the houses were definitely built for humans. There was a church to the Dogmother and finally we found a wizard tower, home to the Master. The guardian, a Husky Paladin, was not about to let us in, but a quick distraction provided by the Eldritch Knight's familiar gave us an opportunity.
    Door was magically guarded, climbing not an option, but an attempt to use Mage Hand to put a grappling hook through one of the top windows resulted in us knocking on the window and the majordomo of the house opened the window. We quickly decided that this half-elf was half elf and half elf. (Also the fighter immediately took a dislike to him and still thinks that he's behind everything*) Some persuasion later, we managed to get inside and meet the Master, also one of the Tainted (though he received the taint voluntarily, using his new-found immortality to work on his book.) He managed to give us a bit of explanation on the whole Tainted thing and came with us to investigate.

Turns out the dog wizard felt lonely, because his Master had been writing the book for the past decade or so, so he turned the villagers into dogs (all the dogs that were wearing clothes were actual dogs though. Awakened Dogs who each had a class). The Master bestowed the Cone of Shame on the dog wizard. It wasn't the first time this had happened.

Bit of investigation later and we somehow ended up in combat with all the Awakened Dogs as the Dog Wizard had been possessed, while the Master was having some drinks at the local pub. Each of the dogs were about equal to a lvl 3 char (a Paladin (husky), Cleric (st. Bernard), Barbarian (can't recall, a mutt I think?), Wizard and Monk (Pomeranian). The sorceress got knocked out, but was reanimated before she had to roll any death saves. We did have to stop the evil bard in our party from stabbing the Wizard Dog after it was knocked out (miscommunication or nefarious plot? We're still not clear).

We've investigated more, noting that the Awakened Dogs were standing in a runic circle when they attacked (The fighter and bard sent the fight erasing the runes, while I had to fight off 3 dogs to protect the unconscious sorceress. Thanks guys!) We realized that the Druid Dog (Bloodhound) was missing, but it turned out she was just hiding because she had an illicit love affair with a cat, which did lead us to the culprit: a fight with an undead cat and skeleton mice. (A fight where the Dog Wizard showed up to save us once the undead all merged together into an Undead Voltron).

All in all a relaxed afternoon spent with some adorable dogs. Dog Wizard had no object permanence whatsoever and his enthusiasm for everything made him very endearing to both the Sorceress (who is kinda the same) and my monk. Also our bard used invisibility to read the Master's book and it turned out be a erotic story with heavy dragon on dragon action. He gave us a letter of recommendation to a high level druid in the nearest city who may be able to help us cure ourselves. Some of us suspect that the letter is actually a chapter in his book, which he wants her to proofread.

*= so far our sorceress has decided her adversary is a statue and our fighter that a random civilian is his nemesis.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Spend a hit die to get 4 vials of holy blood. They go bad after 24 hours. :biggrin:

Pour into moulds and let clot to create one-use throwing scabs

Ew

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited September 2019
    This character is a half hobgoblin, late 30s, female, mom (divorced), has a stable job and home

The call to action is that a sea monster took my boy and sunk the ship we were on (we were going on a trip to see his father), except I have a magical item that lets me know he is still alive, somewhere (thus preventing my character from moving on)

This is a fun character to play and different from my normal low wisdom ones, as a sometimes-town-guard with a super high investigation skill and low insight for example:

I had to investigate a murder - I deduced that a man in the tavern had the exact same shoe size as the killer, and also had mud on his boot from the area the murder happened, so I beat him up and hauled him to the Saltmarsh jail. He's innocent, of course, but hobgoblin justice is more about rate of fire than accuracy. The town regards me as something like sherlock holmes because I always solve every unsolved crime SUPER FAST

Also it's a difficult change playing a crazy gnome cultist man, then an actual evil pixie, to this character, but its fun playing someone with community ties and a family and whatnot instead of a deranged homeless person

override367 on
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    one of my PCs almost ate a mummy lord heart last session

they opted to keep it in their bag

it regenerated after their long rest so they had to teleport away from inside their Leomund's Tiny Hut

before that i did a pretty complex encounter involving rotating mirrors guiding a lightning bolt from point A to point B, with mummies and wraiths stepping out of the mirrors

i'm surprised no one died, tbh--they spent a LOT of time fighting what was essentially an infinite amount of monsters (capped at a certain amount)

they didn't know this of course, but it took them awhile to get the spawners turned off as it were to do the puzzle

polymorph into giant ape continues to be a superb choice

what would you have done if they ate the mummy lord heart?

it would have exploded out of them like a chest burster from alien of course

the PC in question is a walk-on role Lizardfolk barbarian that one of my PCs is playing while his monk is back at the city preparing for the funeral of his master, so this particular PC is semi-expendable (and the player knows this)

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

the PC in question is a walk-on role Lizardfolk barbarian that one of my PCs is playing while his monk is back at the city preparing for the funeral of his master, so this particular PC is semi-expendable (and the player knows this)

I loved the mirror puzzle so much.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2019

I had a player teleport the party right into the middle of the grand souk in nyanzaru once, in the middle of the day. I asked if he was sure and he was like "yeah"

he telefragged some poor shmuck, and one of them appeared inside a stall and took some force damage, blowing the stall apart

teaching an important lesson about going to a clear landing zone

I wish I could get them to eat more organs of long dead evil entities, they do plenty of other stupid shit though

override367 on
    it was a good session, one of those rare "mostly combat" ones

truthfully, the puzzle as i originally had it had no way to shut it off, but the character had already spent so much time and effort trying to put the statue back that triggered it that i let it happen

if i hadn't i don't think they'd have completed the puzzle and woulda died

edited September 2019
    also i dunno if anyone is looking for unique magic items to drag and drop into their campaign; i've been tinkering around, and figured if people want some goodies to throw into their bag to make their players feel Extra Special i'd be happy to post them

with the caveat that some of the stuff i've come up with says "fuck you, what's balance? lol" (just so no one goes WTF THIS IS OP???)

Super Namicchi on
    ToA people...

How did you manage to introduce new characters in the Tomb without breaking too much of the verisimilitude?

I dusted one of the players in Wongos tomb (silly PC's thought it was a simultaneous thing. Rogue with Mage hand took the cold chest, bard took the rust chest and the poor idiot sorcerer Nat1'd his save on the desintigration chest) and need to bring in a new one next session.

That's fine, and there are plenty of ways to do it. But if this keeps being a thing, I'm going to run into a problem in my own head and the dungeon ecology I've built up that means any poor fool left alone in the dungeon is not going to be left unmolested for weeks until a new party comes along to save them.

Or am I fussing over nothing, shut up and bring in the new guy, and keep rolling?

edited September 2019
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    ToA people...

How did you manage to introduce new characters in the Tomb without breaking too much of the verisimilitude?

I dusted one of the players in Wongos tomb (silly PC's thought it was a simultaneous thing. Rogue with Mage hand took the cold chest, bard took the rust chest and the poor idiot sorcerer Nat1'd his save on the desintigration chest) and need to bring in a new one next session.

That's fine, and there are plenty of ways to do it. But if this keeps being a thing, I'm going to run into a problem in my own head and the dungeon ecology I've built up that means any poor fool left alone in the dungeon is not going to be left unmolested for weeks until a new party comes along to save them.

Or am I fussing over nothing, shut up and bring in the new guy, and keep rolling?

I am running Acererak as an insane game show host, narrating to an audience that either the players cant see and hear, or don't exist. He just pulls people from the multiverse right into the tomb. I have them roll on a table I created for how prepared they are with 100 being "they were on the way to go to a dungeon" and start with all kinds of powerful items and plenty of consumables and a 1 being "they were in the middle of taking a bath" and arrive with a bath tub, a wash rag, and a bar of soap

override367 on
    edited September 2019
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    ToA people...

I am running Acererak as an insane game show host, narrating to an audience that either the players cant see and hear, or don't exist. He just pulls people from the multiverse right into the tomb. I have them roll on a table I created for how prepared they are with 100 being "they were on the way to go to a dungeon" and start with all kinds of powerful items and plenty of consumables and a 1 being "they were in the middle of taking a bath" and arrive with a bath tub, a wash rag, and a bar of soap

Heh. Yeah, but it's long been established that your game is all kinds of fucked up. :razz:

My game is played a little more straight/serious than yours is. :)

Steelhawk on
    I think having them just be from other parties that were doomed works fine. Flesh golems hauling them upstairs to be meat for the pile and run into the party, locked in a tomb, encased in spider web, enthralled by the aboleth, trapped in the mirror of life trapping

Basically sole survivor type shticks. Alternatively, petrified statues, incredibly unkept and eeking out a living in a rare safe area, that kind of thing

Oh yeah... I can figure it out. And my players won't be bothered by it in the least.

It's me I'm worried about. If too many PC's need to be replaced and I re-use an intro, I'd be upset with myself.

This discussion has been closed.